Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

Having the ref in the ring is dumb, the worst invention in wrestling games

It would have cute if they did the little ref animation for each of the refs like you had in the WCW 64 games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i would prefer that to knox taking 1.5 seconds to call a rope break

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

Having the ref in the ring is dumb, the worst invention in wrestling games

Can you at least brain the ref with a steel chair?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

You can have Aubrey ref an Aubrey match because you forgot to change it and I will get confused like 3 times in 4 minutes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Thanks to whoever suggested switching the run and Irish whip buttons, it makes the game way easier to play.

I’ve sunk a bit more time into the game and the gameplay is really, really good. I’m learning how to do more moves and it’s noticeable how wrestlers have different styles. The AI seems pretty good too. I’ve seen complaints that the matches end too fast but I find they’re going about 3-6 minutes and that’s only slightly shorter than a 2K match.

There’s been a lot written about how it’s barebones and I agree that is disappointing but not unexpected. They have been open that more wrestlers/modes will be added.

The bigger disappointment is the stuff I’d expect to be in there that just isn’t. We should be able to assign stats to created stars without making them run a gauntlet, creating a move set should be much easier, the pinfall system should show a meter of how close you are to kicking out, and you should have the option to turn on reversal notices. There should also be the ability to change the rules for basic matches, like no countout or elimination in multi man matches. I hope they add a patch for things like this too and don’t just send out updates for things they can monetize.

I largely agree with most of this, with the added caveat that I think people are putting WAY too much weight on the post-launch support to 'fix' things. With the lukewarm response the game's gotten in a lot of places I wouldn't expect any support beyond what's already been announced. And even if they did, overhauling whole systems isn't a thing that happens except in very rare instances with tons of money/resource.

I also think the 'momentum' system is way less sophisticated than people are giving it credit for. I'd bet the reversal system is consisten as long as you memorise the timing for every single move, which is why no option for prompts sucks. I've also gone on record as saying that button mashing to break submissions/pins is significantly WORSE as a gameplay mechanic than timing stuff because at least with timing stuff I don't feel like I got hosed by mashing as hard as possible and losing after a random rollup.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

i'm going to go on record so someone jot these opinions down:

i like the total lack of prompting/feedback on reversals and pins. imo there should be something invisible about those things because of how tied into the momentum system they need to be. like, the WWE games kill me with the quantifying it down to exact timing instead of the result of everything that's preceded it; it would be like if a fighting game let you hit a button at the right moment to avoid your HP hitting 0.

...you know that fighting games DO have that, right? Like the most famous FGC thing of all time is a dude nailing the timing on that like 8 times in a row and then making a comeback? And it's a good thing because it means you're not just hosed if you happen to have a low life total?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you guys were in charge of game mechanics they would be game Titanics!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Daigo hitting a bunch of frame perfect attack cancels is a terrible example of "uh actually fighting games do that"

Game is a good party game, bare bones otherwise, but being able to play and finish a match is a revolutionary development in the modern wrestling game so whatever

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

No meter/timing indicator for kickouts is good. Makes for actual false finish moments. All the best games do it this way (Giant Gram 2000).

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The description for disabling the "easy" reversals is kind of confusing, I know about the RB/LB reversals but that setting mentions something about pushing A/Y/X and can't tell if that is the easy reversal mode or if there's some more advanced form of reversals that I don't know about that uses the face buttons.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

No meter/timing indicator for kickouts is good. Makes for actual false finish moments. All the best games do it this way (Giant Gram 2000).

People say this a lot and I just don't get it. Like, I feel way better about a 2.99 kickout if i just BARELY got the timing than mashing so hard my wrist hurts and having no clue if it's actually making any difference.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Seymour Buttz posted:

This is the actual reason momentum systems are good in wrestling games and skill based input is good in fighting games

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Daigo hitting a bunch of frame perfect attack cancels is a terrible example of "uh actually fighting games do that"

Pointing out that things like perfect parries exist, then giving a well-known example of them existing is a bad example of them existing? Wut?

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

explosivo posted:

The description for disabling the "easy" reversals is kind of confusing, I know about the RB/LB reversals but that setting mentions something about pushing A/Y/X and can't tell if that is the easy reversal mode or if there's some more advanced form of reversals that I don't know about that uses the face buttons.

The “easy” mode allows you to counter by hitting the same button as the attack they’re throwing, so if they grab you and you hit grab right when they touch you it’ll be a counter, press kick when they kick you and you’ll catch it, etc. Non “easy” mode makes you have to intentionally use the counter buttons.

The only reason it’s “easier” is because you can reverse by accident sometimes if you were just hitting that button by chance trying to attack.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

explosivo posted:

This has confused me as well and I instinctively just hit every button when I need to reverse out our pure panic so I don’t know what actually works.

Also chiming in to say I prefer button mashing to a mini game for kicking out or submissions. The mini game thing takes me out of it and as much as you don’t feel like you have direct control with button mashing, it feels chaotic in a way I enjoy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Seymour Buttz posted:

The “easy” mode allows you to counter by hitting the same button as the attack they’re throwing, so if they grab you and you hit grab right when they touch you it’ll be a counter, press kick when they kick you and you’ll catch it, etc. Non “easy” mode makes you have to intentionally use the counter buttons.

The only reason it’s “easier” is because you can reverse by accident sometimes if you were just hitting that button by chance trying to attack.

Ah okay, thank you! I was kind of thinking this was the case but the description is really unclear whether you are enabling or disabling the face button counters by turning it off.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

People say this a lot and I just don't get it. Like, I feel way better about a 2.99 kickout if i just BARELY got the timing than mashing so hard my wrist hurts and having no clue if it's actually making any difference.

I do agree that mashing isn’t ideal. I like how it works in Fire Pro where you just hold X and the game determines whether you can kick out or not. I totally prefer that over a minigame but I also still prefer mashing with no meter over a minigame.

explosivo posted:

Ah okay, thank you! I was kind of thinking this was the case but the description is really unclear whether you are enabling or disabling the face button counters by turning it off.

Yeah some of the menus are written real badly.

Also someone was asking about Steam Deck and I don’t know if they got an answer, but it runs just fine. You can have all the graphics settings on “medium”. I initially had some weird freeze issues with the game not liking me going from the Steam menu UI back to the game and vice versa, but that seems to have cleared up after a reset. It’ll be a matter of time before they get the green check.

Seymour Buttz fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 1, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

This has confused me as well and I instinctively just hit every button when I need to reverse out our pure panic so I don’t know what actually works.

Also chiming in to say I prefer button mashing to a mini game for kicking out or submissions. The mini game thing takes me out of it and as much as you don’t feel like you have direct control with button mashing, it feels chaotic in a way I enjoy.

Which is fair, I just find it the complete opposite. I like having feedback to if I did something wrong. And honestly the last 2K game let you flick the stick up for the mini-game which 'feels' more like kicking out to me than having to totally change my grip on the controller to mash like it's Mario Party.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Gaz-L posted:

...you know that fighting games DO have that, right? Like the most famous FGC thing of all time is a dude nailing the timing on that like 8 times in a row and then making a comeback? And it's a good thing because it means you're not just hosed if you happen to have a low life total?

parrying attacks is fine by me, but i just don't like the idea of having absolute control in the moment of kicking out. sometimes it's time to lose. i dunno.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Shard posted:

This is it. I will support this game a ton if it has the amount of quality of life updates and dlc as say something like fall guys or no mans sky. If they try to make me buy the game over and over I'm out

theres a middle ground btw having a new game come out every year and having to be stuck with this games skeleton for a decade

this always happens when a game ends up underdelivering but some of you are expecting way too much from dlc

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

big fan of the wrestler who is getting their rear end beat losing, and otherwise being able to mash the buttons with a regular grip and lack of pain in order to kick out. maybe the next game will have options to please more of the userbase and sell more copies

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is a little weird because I thought the argument against minigames used to be that they were too hard and made it too easy to lose at random but now people are saying they're too easy and losing at random is good? :confused:

Fucker posted:

theres a middle ground btw having a new game come out every year and having to be stuck with this games skeleton for a decade

this always happens when a game ends up underdelivering but some of you are expecting way too much from dlc

1000% this. No Man's Sky had way more people willing to take a sunk cost into it, and was a tiny team to start with. Fall Guys is very successful for what it is. A wrestling game has a ceiling even if it's phenomenal, and Fight Forever plays pretty well and is missing a ton of polish and spent way too many resources on minigames when it could've been used to fill out the create suite or just little QOL stuff. Like if the game had 20% more create-a-wrestler parts but 0 minigames, would it not be significantly better?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's not random. it's based on getting hosed up, which gives individual matches a direct purpose

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

it's not random. it's based on getting hosed up, which gives individual matches a direct purpose

Except I can mash equally hard in 2 different matches and lose after taking 2 basic offensive moves in one, and kick out after 5 minutes of rear end beating and taking a finisher in another.

I get that I'm the minority here and it's a hot take, but I don't like the franctic mashing and much prefer skill/timing based stuff.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 1, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Me and my friends are having a blast. The game rules

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that sucks really bad and is indicative of an issue that should be fixed. it isn't supposed to be legitimately random

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Like if the game had 20% more create-a-wrestler parts but 0 minigames, would it not be significantly better?

definitely. tbh i figure the minigame teams were other programmers who had nothing else to do and hopefully not people who could've put more parts into caw. either way, the minigames suck and the caw parts need to seriously be doubled without adding a single new t shirt or camo item.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Look they have all the camo you could ever ask for AND trash bag pants the CAW suite is basically complete

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it really would be better to have options. a lot of people prefer to have pretty much all info laid out in front of them with game mechanics. like i get wanting to be able to take in and react to that stuff and finding anything else to be frustrating. i don't think it's wrong. i prefer the system of reward and punishment for performance combined with the fun surprise of whether or not you can kick out because of the damage you've sustained. it mirrors IRL nearfalls where you just don't know.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

Look they have all the camo you could ever ask for AND trash bag pants the CAW suite is basically complete

tk is an early 2000s indie lover. checks out

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

though my posts hinge on fixing genuinely random pinfalls. that sucks horribly without a doubt if it's supposed to be that way. zero fun if you can be trying and still lose from a couple moves within 10 seconds. if anyone likes it then let's scrap

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

definitely. tbh i figure the minigame teams were other programmers who had nothing else to do and hopefully not people who could've put more parts into caw. either way, the minigames suck and the caw parts need to seriously be doubled without adding a single new t shirt or camo item.

Game dev doesn't have programmers sitting doing nothing. If that's why the minigames exist, the team was too big or they could've been doing stuff related to the core game.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

Game dev doesn't have programmers sitting doing nothing. If that's why the minigames exist, the team was too big or they could've been doing stuff related to the core game.

you're right

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They wanted them because they think it adds to it as a couch co-op game

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/nik-sobic-discusses-the-addition-of-mini-games-for-aew-fight-forever-we-came-up-with-100-ideas/

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is a little weird because I thought the argument against minigames used to be that they were too hard and made it too easy to lose at random but now people are saying they're too easy and losing at random is good? :confused:

Personally, “easy” and “hard” don’t factor into my opinion at all. For me it’s the suspense that comes from not knowing if you’re going to kick out or not. That’s one of the funnest things about IRL wrestling and when a pin attempt becomes a minigame I think you kinda lose that feeling.

Again, Giant Gram 2000 is the best because while it does use mashing and no indicator for pin attempts, you get one chance to use up your special to kick out. You decide between risking kicking out on your own and having a special to turn the tides when you get up, or you use the special and survive but with no juice.

So you have the suspense of not knowing if you can kick out, but there’s also a mechanic where you use timing and strategy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The minigames are whatever, I can’t imagine they took up that much valuable development time

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The baseball minigame is true pwnage. AEW quiz is fine if you want an AEW quiz. The rest I don't care for.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Love how online play apparently has no quit-out protection. I've faced two undefeated opponents who disconnected the moment the match started going my way. Feels bad, man.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I'm playing Eddie Kingston in the story mode and when we were in Philly, Mox and I went to the Liberty Bell. Mox gets kind of sensitive and talks about sacrifice and then he tells me he'll bite my ear off if I tell anyone about our conversation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seymour Buttz posted:

Personally, “easy” and “hard” don’t factor into my opinion at all. For me it’s the suspense that comes from not knowing if you’re going to kick out or not. That’s one of the funnest things about IRL wrestling and when a pin attempt becomes a minigame I think you kinda lose that feeling.

Again, Giant Gram 2000 is the best because while it does use mashing and no indicator for pin attempts, you get one chance to use up your special to kick out. You decide between risking kicking out on your own and having a special to turn the tides when you get up, or you use the special and survive but with no juice.

So you have the suspense of not knowing if you can kick out, but there’s also a mechanic where you use timing and strategy.

See, I feel like playing a wrestling match is a different proposition to watching one. Like, if you're playing Fifa or Madden you wouldn't want whether or not the other team makes it past your defence to be out of your control, even though the suspense of that is part of watching a real game, right? Or if you're playing Devil May Cry or Final Fantasy, whether you can beat the villain should be about your skill, even if when you watch a big fantasy/action movie or show, the suspense of if/how the hero will win is part of it.

So yes, the suspense of a pin attempt in a real match is there (partially, because unlike a game, we know Kenny Omega isn't losing to a random bodyslam 2 minutes into the match) but that doesn't mean a video game needs to or should replicate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think it’s beyond your control though.

If you’ve let the other guy kick your rear end bad enough first then you’ll get pinned. If you haven’t, then you won’t.

The lack of a little meter to tell you if you’re going to make it or not is irrelevant, because it’ll still depend on how much of a whooping you took in the lead up to the pin.

I don’t mind not having a meter because it’s a nice surprise if I do kick out.

What does need a little more work is submissions, because it’s not really clear how they interact with the ‘have you kicked the other guy’s rear end enough yet’ system. The game tells you that you’re doing damage to particular areas with every move so maybe the submission success is based on how much damage you’ve done to an area, but that’s much harder to keep track of than just “have I beat the poo poo out of them and then hit an impact finisher”.

I’ve got a submission finish set and sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts with it before the other person taps out, compared to an almost guaranteed pinfall off a regular finisher.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 1, 2023