Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silhouette posted:

It's a 1/2 with deeathtouch that immediately becomes a 2/3 because of its trigger when the ring tempts you, it tempts you on etb and you can have 9 per deck. It's basically the best card for Tempted synergies, and fits into the best Tempted based commander decks (Frodo, Sauron's Bane and Smeagol)
for more examples of the nazgul being wild, here is a historic brew jim davis whipped up that if they don't have immediate answers for will just run roughshod over the opponent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBKXovq1usc&hd=1&t=236s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Strong Sauce posted:

new Secret Lairs just got released. The Lord of the Rings one has art from the old 1978 movie but the cards are 3 commons, 1 uncommon from the current set. $29.99 and they won't even give you 1 rare. JFC.

https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/835850/more-adventures-in-middle-earth

lmao they are taking the loving piss.

WOTC fully in "here you go pigs, here's your slop, we know you'll buy it" mode.

Literally just screenshots in regular rear end frames, this took entire minutes to design.

Magic players deserve no less.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the professor immediately slammed out a secret lair video about it giving that secret lair a new, unique rating, of DOUBLE FAILURE. both a worthless secret lair from a value perspective, and the cards aren't even good, and neither the foil or nonfoil versions are worth anything either.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

This secret lair drop is extraordinarily bad.

I started off buying them all. Since I decided to only buy the ones where I want the cards and like the treatment I haven't bought any.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

The "Bad to the Bones" drop is pretty awesome, even if the value isn't there: https://secretlair.wizards.com/us/product/835854/bad-to-the-bones

I also love the art on "The stars gaze back" but I don't really want to pay $30-40 for $5 worth of cards there. Usually I'm ok with at least one dud set when I'm buying a whole bundle, but this one just has a lot of pretty underwhelming stuff in it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
WhatNot credit can't be used for tax or shipping, just the cost of the item. I was going to buy a full art signed by the Professor for laughs, but it's $5.47 real money.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Prof's doing his whatnot thing where he gives away 24 collector booster boxes of lotr cards, even if the one ring's already been found
https://www.whatnot.com/live/fae2ee2e-a36e-4793-a955-23805199a06b

need the app to get in the giveaway. also, he completely broke whatnot with this livestream with only 10k viewers lmao

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

need the app to get in the giveaway.

well that makes it an easy nope, lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's completely on fire and he's having a blast with this

apparently according to what he just said he signed up to do this promotional stream for this friday slot, and THEN they approached him and gave him 24 collector lotr boxes to give away, and so now the site/app is destroyed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Happy for him. Hope 'whatsnot' didn't buy those boxes at $500.

Amusing that the ONE RING got a 9. Couldn't give it 10, eh? Like, it's a one out of one serialised card. The rating is irrelevant.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dude that thing was curled when wotc revealed it, shits not a 10

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Happy for him. Hope 'whatsnot' didn't buy those boxes at $500.

Amusing that the ONE RING got a 9. Couldn't give it 10, eh? Like, it's a one out of one serialised card. The rating is irrelevant.

a 9....at PSA

https://twitter.com/Rhymestyle/status/1674840859576270850?s=20

rhyme
@Rhymestyle

Hold up. Beckett offered all this and some bozo still chose PSA to grade The One ring?!?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MisterOblivious posted:

Hold up. Beckett offered all this and some bozo still chose PSA to grade The One ring?!?

Ok. That's loving awesome and makes the PSA choice even funnier. Though, I wasn't even aware Beckett was doing an offer, so I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who opened it didn't know either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, PSA is so ridiculously huge especially since the covid years it wouldn't surprise me if the person who found it had them grade it not even knowing other big name grading services exist.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah, PSA is so ridiculously huge especially since the covid years it wouldn't surprise me if the person who found it had them grade it not even knowing other big name grading services exist.

Like I said upthread, they are probably a Pokemon player/collector in some capacity and just hear "omg PSA PSA PSA" all day, or the people in his little Canadian shop are Pokemon players and told him to send it to PSA.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

GonSmithe posted:

Like I said upthread, they are probably a Pokemon player/collector in some capacity and just hear "omg PSA PSA PSA" all day, or the people in his little Canadian shop are Pokemon players and told him to send it to PSA.

Nah. PSA is the biggest and the default, still. If you google card grading they are still the first result. It was most likely to go to them regardless of who found it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Nah. PSA is the biggest and the default, still. If you google card grading they are still the first result. It was most likely to go to them regardless of who found it.

This isn't true. If you look even a little into it you'll find out why people don't use PSA for high-end cards.

BGS is more valued by high-value collectors because they grade harsher and their label doesn't look like poo poo (and you can get subgrades).
A BGS black label (all perfect 10s) is the highest value you can sell a card for, their prices are usually 5x minimum of a PSA 10.

PSA is very well known to be extremely lenient on their grading, which is why all Pokemon collectors use PSA to grade any card they don't think is a black label 10, because a BGS 10 is harder to get and worth the same as the PSA10.

And again, they go for BGS because PSA's labels look like dogshit.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I don't think the condition of the 1/1 ring matters that much. Like, what are you going to do, wait for a bgs 10 one?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think the condition of the 1/1 ring matters that much. Like, what are you going to do, wait for a bgs 10 one?

This.

But also, I literally know Jack poo poo about card grading or who I’d go to to have it done, all I know is that I have fancy card and need it done. Google result shows me PSA I go there and do thing.

Knowing the specifics on which place to get it graded because it’s worth more here than there or this 10 is better than that 10 etc is all poo poo that I doubt anyone but the collectoriest of collectors is gonna know.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

The grade is not what matters, it just needs to be authenticated. The value would be the exact same no matter the grade as long as it's not damaged.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Right, I explained too much about the grade in my post, which doesn't really matter, my fault.

The main point is high-end collectors think PSA lables look like poo poo and know they're cheap.
So by grading it with PSA and not getting the custom BGS label, they reduced the value they could get for the card from a high-end collector. It might sound silly but it's a 1/1 item, and someone who is spending that much money on the card wants it to reflect that quality, which a PSA label doesn't to them.

The person who buys it is almost 100% going to send it to BGS to get opened and re-graded by them.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 1, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saxophone posted:

the collectoriest of collectors is gonna know.

Who's gonna buy it, though? That's the question to ask. Like, if you KNOW you have THE 1/1, and if you're gonna be putting it up at any point, you want to be getting the highest value for it, which means getting the most accurate appraisal.

*I* may not care, but if I'm gonna get it graded, I have plans for that thing. And when selling, you want to be in the mind of the buyer for something like that. You can't just assume pie-in-the-sky value just because *rare*.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

People like BGS because of the quad ratings but it could just be that the kid/parents who opened it didn't know/care either way.

The grade does matter to a certain extent. For older cards it does not really matter just because of sheer rarity. For example, the t206 honus wagner that Gretzsky bought (and was later found out to have been shaved) got a 5, and the "Jumbo Wagner" that was sold was also rated a 5. Both still have value and sold for lots of money. If that's the best you'll get then you just have to take that.

However with new cards where people expect it to be the mintiest of mint, having a 9 rating is not horrible or anything but people expect better ratings. If they were actual experts and deferred to PSA because they were worried about their quad rating from BGS... well they're not really experts because no way BGS rates anything below a 9 for that card unless its extremely obvious, and even then they will still probably rate it well.

So even if it's a 1/1 card, yeah the 9 rating is fine.. but if it somehow got a worse rating, it could reduce the value.

But the sports card and TCG grading industry is horribly corrupt. I have seen cards get a 10 for centering when its obviously off-center or a small unnoticeable flaw reducing a cards rating. Hell people have complained that they label the slab wrong, not knowing the difference between alpha/beta, unlimited/revised cards.

I'm sure they put someone from their team who actually knew what they were looking at to verify it, but the entire grading industry is rife with scams.

Logan Paul thought he bought a case of 1st edition pokemon boxes that were still sealed in case, and the "grading company", whose name is "Baseball Card Exchange", who had never done Pokemon authentication before, deemed it "real" until Logan Paul opened the box and inside were packs of GI Joe cards. The rest of the Pokemon TCG community kept telling him it was fake because the original ebay seller had no ratings and refused inspection, had none of the normal markings for a pokemon case, and the people who sold it to Logan Paul were fraudsters themselves.

Don't trust grading, even for "authentication" unless you know for yourself how to tell.
------
also nazgul news: you can apparently get alt art nazgul in draft... but they are still kinda rare apparently..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 1, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The lottery winner is gonna get $2,000,000.00 anyway, so who cares about some booster boxes and a playmat

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Silhouette posted:

The lottery winner is gonna get $2,000,000.00 anyway, so who cares about some booster boxes and a playmat

The slab with the elvish text and all did seem pretty cool. but maybe they would have made them reveal who they are. They were offering to fly them to Beckett HQ to grade it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you pulled that card and immediately ripped it in half, could they still verify it's authenticity and how much value does it retain? How many pieces can the card be torn into and still be sellable?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Khanstant posted:

If you pulled that card and immediately ripped it in half, could they still verify it's authenticity and how much value does it retain? How many pieces can the card be torn into and still be sellable?

A (dollar, eg) bill is still legal tender if up to 49% of it is missing and the remainder is still identifiable as a bill.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Silhouette posted:

https://www.polygon.com/23780343/mtg-where-was-the-one-ring-found-taxes-canada

If it is true that the person resides in "Cah-nah-dah" then the Canadian Government is going to have a nice old time of taking off 49% from that 2 mill. Lol if that Spanish buyer will offer 2 million in store credit but only 1 million in cash.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
I’m not really familiar with high end collectable rating systems. Is it embarrassing for WotC that it got graded a 9, or is that normal for other fresh out of the pack multi-million dollar showcase items?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's pretty meaningless

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, grading it was probably necessary for the sale but certainly didn't affect its value. You pay to grade alpha power because if your goal is to sell it eventually, you have competition. "His Mox is an 8.0 but mine is a 9.0 and just a little bit more expensive ..." Or, "Our Seas are both 9s, but his is graded by the lovely grade-inflation company."

But there's no competition for a 001/001, it's just is worth what it's worth. If you cracked it and the buyer was like, "we want it graded before sale but we're paying you $2m either way," you let him pay for the better grading if he wants it. You do the cheapest safe thing you can to complete the sale.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
You can put any number of any card into your draft deck, if you draft enough right? Could run 20 copies of negate if you get passed enough.

If you draft 10 Nazgul or 8 seven dwarves, can you run only the printed number? Or all of them? Unlikely as they are good in draft, but hypothetically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

You can put any number of any card into your draft deck, if you draft enough right? Could run 20 copies of negate if you get passed enough.

If you draft 10 Nazgul or 8 seven dwarves, can you run only the printed number? Or all of them? Unlikely as they are good in draft, but hypothetically.

You can only run the printed number. The rules text on the card overrides the format, even when it would be a drawback.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Shout out to the one in a million Dominaria drafters that lived the dream with like 12 rat colony

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/ssomers55/status/1675284597641232386?s=20

Something to use your limited twitter viewcount on. A somewhat vocal mtg finance weirdo James Chillcott thought it would be funny to put a ring up for sell. Turns out the majority of people didn't think it was funny.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 2, 2023

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can just screenshot it if you really want people to see the twitter drama.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tldr: dickhead chud is selling a German serialized one ring for $1488, gets called out by people who aren't pieces of human garbage

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Tldr: dickhead chud is selling a German serialized one ring for $1488, gets called out by people who aren't pieces of human garbage

It was apparently an honest mistake:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Why end the price in 88

Mistake, my rear end