Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Just got through Focused Fault, I never got a chance to fight it before it got nerfed but that's a real hard goddamned fight even as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Thanks for the comments about GR. I know the pirouette/lunge combo. I was playing with venomdrop and it felt weak.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Despite being the "blight path" venomdrop seems like it's just worse at blighting than spamming darts on the ranged path. The only meaningful thing it does really is give flashing daggers a piddly amount of blight.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

With mastery, venomdrop still doesn't do a lot of blight damage compared to PD or burn dots from runaway. All she has is damage to contribute so it very lackluster. I can crank out a lot of dot damage with PD and runaway with mastery and trinkets but I've haven't found the right combo with venomdrop. Just something I noticed.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Man Focused fault just would not stop critting my poor man at arms. Good thing he kept healing up to 15% of his health every turn.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Had a run a couple days ago that seemed guaranteed to get me past Focused Fault. It was a blessed run, took out the Sleeping General on the very first stop of the run, then met and stomped Death for the first run, then was forced into a Shambler fight that I was sure would be the end of things in the Sluice but came through it easily. Beat two more bosses on the way to the mountain and felt ready to take on the world, with oodles of buffs and every character having a positive relationship. Then the eyes focus fired on my Jester at the start of the fight and he couldn't manage one measly death blow resist. C'est la guerre.

So of course I ended up getting through two tries later with a team comp that included a Runaway and also included the first time I'd ever let the oblivion tears buff the confession boss.

Are you locked out of re-running earlier bosses until you complete the game? Seems like that for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

habeasdorkus posted:

Are you locked out of re-running earlier bosses until you complete the game? Seems like that for me.

I think it's just that you must accept a new confession the first time you're offered it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ah, that makes sense. now that i have some spare candles and have unlocked everything but the final inn item for each character i figure i can start putting memories on some folks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

What a game! Finally beat it. Probably the most fun I've had with a EA game ever. PD, runaway, flagellant, and MAA for the last boss. What a boss! The 4th boss almost got me but I had a hellion and monarch leper that refused to die. Probably going to keep playing some more comps just for fun. Not interested in grand slam.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Holy moly Sepsis.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Holy moly Sepsis.

You are one upping me. What buffs did you have? I got an 80 a while back.

edit: Harvest child counts as gentry

temple fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I was also running a Grave Robber and Plague Doctor in full blight spec. More importantly, I had the cultist trinket that makes your character cause 6 blight when hit. I put that on the Flagellant, and he got et up by the Leviathan twice. Apparently, when it causes damage to him after being grabbed by the hand, that counts for applying blight to the head. I didn't realize it until I went to heal him via Sepsis and saw the big number. At which point I got ready to take a screenshot.

Pretty sure a perfect setup can get you over the 200 damage that the final boss limit break does.

That group made it to the final boss, which I did blind. Between Gut of the Coward having 100 blight resist and not knowing you needed to kill the Proclaimers to get the chance to do a limit break my last remaining character, the Leper, died with the third stage at 21 HP remaining. I would have definitely won if I'd focus fired the Proclaimers from the start, because my Flagellant died on the first Death's Door he faced in that phase before having a chance to Face His Fears and thus I missed out on 200 damage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Ran into a brick wall of the 3rd Boss with 4 full-party wipes before finally beating it and then one-shotting the 4th Boss. I gather this is a pretty common happening but I thought I was hot poo poo for a few hours there.

Before being absolutely humbled a couple times in Chapter 5 now. That said, I'm trying out new team comps instead of being over-reliant on Plague Doctor, Jester, Runaway, and Man at Arms. I think I've got some good strategies for the Highwayman, Flagellant, and Occultist. Still not very confident in my strategies with the Grave Robber, Leper, Vestal, and Hellion as far as where they fit. I've just been rolling random parties a couple times and wiping out after a tough boss takes out a character early in a zone, it's a lot of fun.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Second try at finishing the game went smooth as hell.

Didn't even get to use all of the Exaltations, I did 400 damage to the boss before Barristan could finish off his ghost. Used a single healing item the entire stage of the fight, pretty sure I could have killed the boss without doing a single Exaltation.

Good game, very much enjoyed it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 21, 2023

temple
Jul 29, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Second try at finishing the game went smooth as hell.

Didn't even get to use all of the Exaltations, I did 400 damage to the boss before Barristan could finish off his ghost. Used a single healing item the entire stage of the fight, pretty sure I could have killed the boss without doing a single Exaltation.

Good game, very much enjoyed it.

don't spoil it

temple fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 21, 2023

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

temple posted:

don't spoil it

Good job quoting what you were mad I "spoiled" so that even though I added spoiler tags it'll stick around in the thread.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

habeasdorkus posted:

Good job quoting what you were mad I "spoiled" so that even though I added spoiler tags it'll stick around in the thread.

you added the spoiler wrong but whatever do whatever you want

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

DD2 is good but after a single confession 5 win I don't think I'll come back to it unless there's an expansion. Some of that is the gameplay overlapping so much with 1, which I played a ton of, and some is 2 being inherently less varied. I think its biggest flaw is how heavily you're incentivized to keep running the same crew over and over. Skill unlocks and passive boosts building up win or lose, memory slots and perk persistence after wins. I ended up doing everything with the usual suspects. Still a very good game though. I like the story and presentation a lot more and although I think it's a little too fast of a gameplay loop, it beats the exhausting sprawl of 1.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I've only scratched the surface of 2 but it's pissing me off how slow absolutely everything is, half the animations and presentation should have an option to skip or fast forward after the first run.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://youtu.be/pZFSiJqfwXE

This one's been screwing around with modded fights between various DD2 enemies. Seems fun/interesting to me. Maybe to anyone here. Dunno. Felt it's worth sharing.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Right now I'd say that DD2 was a really awesome 60 hour game, but also that I currently have no interest in turning it into a 100 hour game. I'd definitely come back for an expansion, though!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

So, after I bragged about how easy the second endboss was, I'm now stumped. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the third one?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Samovar posted:

So, after I bragged about how easy the second endboss was, I'm now stumped. How the hell are you supposed to deal with the third one?

I just got my poo poo kicked in by this one too. Second phase seems like it may be a damage race.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

God I can't even reach the second endboss. I've only managed a single lair boss (Librarian) and died before I got to the mountain :negative:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

quiggy posted:

God I can't even reach the second endboss. I've only managed a single lair boss (Librarian) and died before I got to the mountain :negative:

It's real tough, even with me bragging about how easy the second boss is.

It's also real SLOW every time you start a new run. Why you couldn't just select your upgrades, choice of mission, crew and go straight from the first inn, I couldn't say. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mod that would allow that soon enough, if not already.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Samovar posted:

It's real tough, even with me bragging about how easy the second boss is.

It's also real SLOW every time you start a new run. Why you couldn't just select your upgrades, choice of mission, crew and go straight from the first inn, I couldn't say. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mod that would allow that soon enough, if not already.

a man who refused to fight the intro tree stump in DD1. a shameful man

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Decided to come back to this today and try to beat the first two chapters with my dream team to get the Grand Slam achievement. All went well until I hit the bane of my existence - the Resentment boss. God I hate that boss, I really do find it the hardest one in the entire game. RIP to my Vestal and Leper and my dreams of Grand Slam.

At least I still killed him with the Plague Doctor and Graverobber.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Decided to come back to this today and try to beat the first two chapters with my dream team to get the Grand Slam achievement. All went well until I hit the bane of my existence - the Resentment boss. God I hate that boss, I really do find it the hardest one in the entire game. RIP to my Vestal and Leper and my dreams of Grand Slam.

At least I still killed him with the Plague Doctor and Graverobber.

Is there ANY way to bypass or defend against those tags that get put on you by the mini-eyes?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Samovar posted:

Is there ANY way to bypass or defend against those tags that get put on you by the mini-eyes?
Taunt or guard them.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Samovar posted:

That's not the Resentment boss, the eyes one is Obsession.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Now that we are post launch - how is dd2? I got the notification that it's now on sale.

I know it's not dd1, and that's not the end of the world for me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
not a huge fan of the final boss being like "lol you can't use ability X on this turn :)"

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Legit Businessman posted:

Now that we are post launch - how is dd2? I got the notification that it's now on sale.

I know it's not dd1, and that's not the end of the world for me.

I told my friends who liked 1 to buy 2 when it's half off. It's fun, but after sinking over 150+ hours into dd1 without any expansions, I felt finished with 2 after about 50 hours. I'm sure I'll be back to play again if there are some expansions or even major patches, but it falls short of the first game in that regard. Just to be clear, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with 2, but 1 was really something special.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
It seems like there's a lot less hype / discussion about DD2 online than DD1?

I picked it up a few weeks ago. I'm really loving it. Combat greatly improved, graphics amazing, nice progression system.

My main criticism is that DD2 doesn't give you that sense of loss the first game did when heroes die. I guess it's not what the devs were going for this time around. I remember getting full party wipes in DD1 and then not wanting to look at my computer for a week. It added a lot to the tension / magic of the game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Honestly, I'm at the point where I assigned memories to people and want them to die so I can give them to my eventual grand slam party.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Entropy238 posted:

It seems like there's a lot less hype / discussion about DD2 online than DD1?

I picked it up a few weeks ago. I'm really loving it. Combat greatly improved, graphics amazing, nice progression system.

My main criticism is that DD2 doesn't give you that sense of loss the first game did when heroes die. I guess it's not what the devs were going for this time around. I remember getting full party wipes in DD1 and then not wanting to look at my computer for a week. It added a lot to the tension / magic of the game.

There was less hype initially because gamers have a bizarre hate fetish for anything that launches on Epic. I think it's also because there's been a huge truckload of stuff that came out around the same time as well. I think once the game hits consoles like Switch and tweaks a few things it'll come back into the public eye.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So - something I just found out from the last boss on chapter three: Protection is useless. And also Limerence seems to pierce EVERY form of protection except the doubled form.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Beat the last boss last night. Holy poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm bad at this game I'm almost 20 hours in and still haven't beat the second boss yet. Just about to get to the boss though, actually having a decent run after beating the Dreaming General in the first stage. His trophy seems pretty good.

I've heard so much about the 3rd boss being the most difficult I feel like that's gonna take me awhile to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The eye boss is a fuckin nightmare