Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Some Numbers posted:

Hot take: Short hair Fie was superior

short hairs are always superior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I just equipped the Pixie master quartz on Wazy and stacked ATS on him and then had him spam Lord Inferno over and over. That's how I won pretty much every trash and boss fight in Ao. For the final boss I just used had the other characters us EP charges and revives on Wazy so he could keep spamming, since everyone else (Lloyd, Randy, and Ellie) hardly did any damage to the boss. Same situation as the Sky final bosses where all of my physical attacks were useless so it was down to my mage spamming Aero/White Gehenna/Death Scream over and over.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I just equipped the Pixie master quartz on Wazy and stacked ATS on him and then had him spam Lord Inferno over and over. That's how I won pretty much every trash and boss fight in Ao. For the final boss I just used had the other characters us EP charges and revives on Wazy so he could keep spamming, since everyone else (Lloyd, Randy, and Ellie) hardly did any damage to the boss. Same situation as the Sky final bosses where all of my physical attacks were useless so it was down to my mage spamming Aero/White Gehenna/Death Scream over and over.

The final boss in Sky SC, as long as he's not in elemental-exclusive mode, actually has a much higher ADF than DEF stat, so I found physicals the way to go for him. (although the same can't be said for the Loewe fight a bit earlier on)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It's hard to give good advice for dealing with the final boss of Azure, as it's programmed to counter a lot of what players do.
  • Evade Tank? Say hello to a perfect hit rate.
  • Buff yourself? It can strip away all buffs EXCEPT CP Regen (Impassion). This includes Max Guard.
  • Big burst damage? It counters by Vanishing the person who hit it. I've only ever seen that happen with physical damage, though.
  • Cast spells? It will impede if it goes before the spell finishes casting. I think this is also AoE, but I'm not sure if it's a "hits everyone" attack.
  • 200 CP S-Crafts? The adds in the second phase can zap away 50 CP at long range.

That said, there are a few things you can do.

• I forget if this works, but you could try bluffing it by spreading out and having everyone cast. It has to do the impede on its turn, and that only comes up every so often. If it isn't a full-screen attack, this will usually keep the boss from doing anything else but trying to impede.
  • Buff yourself with food and immediately do something with the buff before it gets a chance to strip the buffs away.
  • Stealth makes you untargetable. So Hollow Sphere or Secrecy Popcorn are good, if you can keep them up.
  • Kill three of the second phase adds. They're obnoxious to kill, but it's possible. If all four are dead, the boss will respawn them all.

Whatever you do, once it gets really low in health, like 20% or so, it'll start charging up an uninterruptible craft. Use Burst mode at this point, an keep it active by using Burst Orbs until the boss is dead, or else anyone not in Stealth gets Vanished, which is a Game Over.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Finally beat it.
Took a few tries. Pretty good set of games. I can see why people had love for this set. Lloyd is a very good protagonist. Rean is alrite, but its cool that Lloyd is just a regular detective without any real hidden god powers or anything.

KeA is a good girl.
Mariabell is kind of a Mariabitch.

The lawyer sure switched sides pretty quick. It was like "yea I killed your brother and it was all for these reasons"
Llyod: "You're being kind of a jerk"
Grimwood: "You're right...I'm sorry. I quit." *gets magic stabbed*

Even though the 2nd form of the final fight kept cancelling my arts. I still spammed it since it used up its action to cancel it instead of spamming that wide-sweeping sword move. I got wiped from the mass vanish like 2-3 times with it being 20k HP left a few times, made me want to chuck my controller, argh.

The tip to spam burst orbs while in burst form to extend it helped to fit in more Tio Crimson Laser spam to seal the deal at the end.

It was nice seeing Guy there, he's kind of TOO charismatic. Like every time he shows up or is mentioned, he just seems like the greatest person ever. I guess Llyod is gonna grow into that since quite a few times already, he got people to join him with his talks. It was neat that he acknowledged my true pairing pick with Noel. Wonder what his lines would have been if I picked Tio.

I should look up a timeline chart of what events coincide for the Crossbell games and Cold Steel 1 & 2.
I did watch the fight on youtube when Rean goes against Llyod at the end of CSII, but I have no idea what Llyod and Rixia was trying to stop Rean from doing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GateOfD posted:

I did watch the fight on youtube when Rean goes against Llyod at the end of CSII, but I have no idea what Llyod and Rixia was trying to stop Rean from doing.

Rean and Allie's mission was to doxx all of Crossbell

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

GateOfD posted:

The lawyer sure switched sides pretty quick. It was like "yea I killed your brother and it was all for these reasons"
Llyod: "You're being kind of a jerk"
Grimwood: "You're right...I'm sorry. I quit." *gets magic stabbed*

It was kind of more like:

Grimwood: Yeah, I killed your brother and it was all for these reasons. But with KeA's power, we could undo all of the losses that you, I and everyone in Crossbell suffered over the years.
Lloyd: Losses are painful, but they can also cause people to grow and take actions to make sure the same tragedies won't happen again. You were one of those people. Your losses were what caused you to think up the whole Azure-Zero project. If you undo those, you'll undo the project.
Grimwood: That's... not a bad point, actually.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Reverie out in almost a week... looking forward to playing it again, it was a lot of fun the first time through. Also recommend reading the 3&9 book from CS4 if you want to, it's not required reading or anything but it ties into a fair amount of events and some character arcs and gently caress you're 10 games deep in this extremely wordy series at this point so why not

Terper fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 29, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My Reverie gameplay hot tip: craft a Crescent Mirror quartz asap, it's a big help throughout the game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just finished FF16, ready for Reverie

And a game with an actual party lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It has several of them tbh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shout outs to the Mysterious C and his pals, the greatest Trails party.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

C is very good, and I adore that their first Craft has C in Power, C in Break, and C in Unbalance.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I actually don't like C very much.

Some of his compatriots are good though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone had any experience playing Trails of Cold Steel on Steam Deck? Specifically III? Steam says it’s unsupported, but it seems kinda weird that III wouldn’t be compatible with it but IV is, so I was hoping it was a weird user submission oversight or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I haven't tried CS3 but CS4 works pretty much perfectly (except it fails to shut down properly when you exit so you have to force quit), so I would assume CS3 works fine. Is there anything preventing you from trying it?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Ngl I forgot about there being a demo, I’ll download it tomorrow to hopefully see.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/stealth40k/status/1674768053224058880?s=46

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Does Reverie have any Cold Steel 2 style new game+ exclusive story content?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope, and there's no bonding events so you don't need a ng+ file for unlimited points either

There is however more story that unlocks after you've beaten the main story, so don't like shut the game off forever once the credits roll

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
there is postgame content, and a bit more postgame content after the initial postgame content

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is there a divertissemént

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://themakoreactor.com/featured/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-into-reverie-pc-review-steam-deck-verified/53196/

quote:

One notable feature here is minimap anti-aliasing which dramatically improves how the minimap looks compared to the console version. There’s an option here for 8xMSAA on just the minimap for, and I quote, “the most discerning minimap aficionados”.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Terper posted:

and there's no bonding events

:wtf: :(

lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

is there a divertissemént

There is no need for one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yo turns out the English dub once again has more voiced lines compared to its Japanese counterpart. Thank you NISA.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Wait, what? Do the Japanese versions of these games have like three voiced lines or something? One of my few annoyances with this series is how intermittent the voice acting is. It's pretty drat sparse.

Edit: If every visual novel with a trillion lines of text and zero budget can manage to be fully voiced then you'd think it'd be trivial for something like the Trails series. :confused:

...! fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 1, 2023

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When XSEED made the PC versions of CS1 and 2 they added a lot of voice acting, especially for Rean in scenes where he's silent but talking to someone voiced. When NISA took over for CS3 and 4, they did not get this. Reverie's seemingly getting it again, again for scenes where the lead is talking to someone who's voiced.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s probably worth noting that the XSEED localizers wanted to fix at least the Rean stuff in the original PS3/Vita games, but the game was hardcoded to not allow voice acting in any instances where it wasn’t already there in the original JP until the PC ports of 1/2 fixed that part, so maybe NISA couldn’t for 3/4 for that reason either.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

...! posted:

Edit: If every visual novel with a trillion lines of text and zero budget can manage to be fully voiced then you'd think it'd be trivial for something like the Trails series. :confused:
falcom has less budget than most of those visual novels

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like it cant be overstated how small a company falcom is. for comparison nippon ichi, the disgaea guys, have 200+ employees. falcom has 60.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/_sikiha/status/1668763681457602560

They also pump out a game every year, so yeah they're working with a lot of reused assets and try to cut corners where they can. It's just the way it goes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wow, I had no idea they were that comparatively tiny. They really punch above their weight.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Endorph posted:

falcom has less budget than most of those visual novels

Umineko, an over 80 hour VN where no one ever shut ups, was fully voiced for its ps3 port, and the studio responsible had 24 employees total so that's no excuse

Falcom just made a poor choice with casting a super expensive VA for Rean, the character with the most lines

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Falcom just made a poor choice with casting a super expensive VA for Rean, the character with the most lines
That has always been the excuse but has never been true. Dude is not any more expensive than most other VAs they have. Like, Falcom does the exact same thing with Lloyd in Reverie, and that dude was paid (by another company) to voice the entirety of Zero and Azure. And yes it remains true with Van in Kuro.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know, a few years back I would have said that Billy Kametz should voice Van in Kuro's dub, but now that's not possible and I'm sad now.

But, idly, do you have any predictions for Kuro's dub?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Greg Chun is my go-to pick for Van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGVwhgTbnkU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's super jarring when there's a scene where no one in the protagonist group is voiced, but this named NPC who's appearing for the first time voices all their lines.

It happens multiple times in Reverie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

https://twitter.com/_sikiha/status/1668763681457602560

They also pump out a game every year, so yeah they're working with a lot of reused assets and try to cut corners where they can. It's just the way it goes.

More importantly; Falcom has survived like, 4 video game collapses. They have a SystemTM and its the single smartest thing any video game dev has done since their existence has never been at risk and they still own themselves.