Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

pik_d posted:

Maybe She Hulk smashed Daredevil so hard he lost control of his bowels

Well, his costume did change to brown and yellow....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Agreed that the plot of stealing her blood to make super hulk incels was really loving dumb

Which is why she went to KEVIN to get rid of it. Although technically that blood sample should be out there somewhere. I wonder if the Skrulls got it and that’s how we get Hulkling? Teddy gets imbued with Jen’s blood by their machine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

That's the other issue with this show, which is set in 2024/2025. It ignores almost 2 decades of MCU events. Somehow, even after an event in which half the universe vanished and then returned 5 years later, where aliens have visited and attacked Earth multiple times, where a giant creature froze while rising from the ocean, that we still have stuff like NATO and Russian in a fragile stand-off that could be false flagged into nuclear war by bombs going off in Moscow while an American is present?

There are much better shows waiting to be made that explore what it is like to live in the MCU at at this point. She-Hulk, despite being a sitcom, exploring the legal aspects of minor league supervillainy/heroism at least touched on it. FatWS was close to getting into it, but fumbled the Flagsmasher side of the show. Others like WandaVision only looking back at personal trauma.

I don't know what this show wants. Clearly there's an aim for some cold war paranoia about who you can trust blah blah blah but tech levels in the MCU mean there must be ways to scan who is human and who isn't. Fury would have been building that stuff years ago. Bolivar Trask will be out there building it to scan for mutants. They've done enough infiltration/mind control stories by now that looking for magical ways someone, especially government officials, might not be what they seem. That stuff should be pervasive, and to the point where it's causing civil rights violations and a pushback to it. Hell, even the Skrull gimmick of looking like a human is something SHIELD agents have been doing for over a year with their face camo peel-off thingies.

I don't know yet what this show is trying to say, beyond torture works and some refugees will turn on you, and I sincerely hope there's some more inspirational messages coming in the future episodes because so far it's not giving me anything to cheer for.

This was something oldheads knew would be a problem for the MCU when more and more lore accumulated. The exact same thing comes up in the comics and it's one of the reasons why they usually flit around to weird gimmick status quo changes (Dr. Strange is now Rocket Raccoon? What!?!?), continuity reset shenanigans, relationship melodrama, and/or "this new threat is the most dangerous" stories.

The premises and world just can't support sociological exploration of their concepts and still be a sellable mass market product where just about every demo from your bigoted uncle to your infant cousin can at least theoretically wear a T-shirt or buy a popcorn bucket with the iconography on it.

It would be nice if they recognized that they actually could explore those things at least a bit more instead of just following a checklist of things people expect from a Marvel project-- She-Hulk did that well, Hawkeye almost did that well, Moon Knight did that well, and while I think it was badly written I do respect Loki for going there too-- but if I recall correctly this show had a very troubled production and it's very clear Marvel is not using good writers lately.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
my only complaints about She-Hulk ending are:

1.) after all the talk about how only certain genetic infrastructures can support a proper Hulking, the incel dude should have just melted or turned into a big green turd
2.) Titania deserves more/better/a time machine

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Rogers: The Musical debuted and the one traditional media review that appears to be out there is positive. Most notably, it says Fury tap dances.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Agreed that the plot of stealing her blood to make super hulk incels was really loving dumb

Okay, this thread made me re-watch the show because it's fun and wonderful and it's a Friday, and uh

I don't mean to be the mean or evil-spirited person of the thread, but the conclusion of the stealing blood for Hulk incels thing is the show itself saying this is dumb and ridiculous. You can argue that that itself is dumb and ridiculous too, but they leaned into the fourth-wall breaking stuff in She-Hulk a little and well it's a ~*comics thing*~ and you either like it or you don't.

Also,

This show is asking the important questions.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The MCU needs more Nicky and more Madisynn (two N's and a Y but Y's not where you think it iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wongers and Madisynn forever

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think that making an extended thing with them beyond like, 5/10 minutes as a bonus scene or spread out among seasons it'd quickly become the epitome of running a joke into the ground. Like the goats in Thor 4.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
They already greenlit an Agatha Harkness series because a 60 second song popped off on twitter while everyone was still washing their groceries, we do NOT need to Morbius a Wong series into being

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Firebert posted:

They already greenlit an Agatha Harkness series because a 60 second song popped off on twitter while everyone was still washing their groceries, we do NOT need to Morbius a Wong series into being

The song was the icing on the cake of Agatha's popularity, not the whole thing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Firebert posted:

we do NOT need to Morbius a Wong series into being

I would definitely watch a Wong / Madisynn sitcom with no plot.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I would watch a MST3000 of The Sopranos with Madisynn and Wong.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I would love to see Madisynn learn a drunken hand kung-fu type of sorcery from Wong and be a party girl that can use magic responsibly to protect other party girls. She could portal them home or help them heal from trauma.

Just as a background thing. I don't need to see the training montage, but when she shows back up, she's got a trick or two and doesn't struggle like a noob.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rappaport posted:

This show is asking the important questions.
Disconnected from your point, so I'm just using this last part as a jumping-off, but I watched it happen in real time and I still can't believe how much of the comics fandom has turned the smart, funny, capable women in the medium and its adaptations that they literally used to masturbate to.

Right-wingers have convinced these assholes that it's woke to be into awesome chicks.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I would love to see Madisynn learn a drunken hand kung-fu type of sorcery from Wong and be a party girl that can use magic responsibly to protect other party girls. She could portal them home or help them heal from trauma.

Just as a background thing. I don't need to see the training montage, but when she shows back up, she's got a trick or two and doesn't struggle like a noob.

Wouldn’t Madisynn be more of a potion themed caster?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Honestly, what is up with that? That acknowledges they are aware this is what people want. Is it they're doing a lot of work to make X-men the best thing they can? They're aware that rushing stuff and not properly vetting cast and crew has caused issues before, and so they want to make sure everything is as perfect as it can for X-men?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly, what is up with that? That acknowledges they are aware this is what people want. Is it they're doing a lot of work to make X-men the best thing they can? They're aware that rushing stuff and not properly vetting cast and crew has caused issues before, and so they want to make sure everything is as perfect as it can for X-men?

I think the prevailing theory on Youtube is that there are contracts about the current XMen Dark Phoenix crew that no one else can play the character until 2025, which may have contributed to quiksilver in WandaVision being played by the same actor.

But i can't back any of that up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deadpool 3 is probably the beginning of the X-Men in the MCU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ending of Multiverse of Madness should have been Strange walking into the Sanctum Sanctorum to see Deadpool chilling on his couch.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I think the prevailing theory on Youtube is that there are contracts about the current XMen Dark Phoenix crew that no one else can play the character until 2025, which may have contributed to quiksilver in WandaVision being played by the same actor.

But i can't back any of that up
While that may be true, what I've heard is that it's not the actors they want off those contracts so much as producers who haven't been directly involved in any of the films maybe ever.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Technowolf posted:

The ending of Multiverse of Madness should have been Strange walking into the Sanctum Sanctorum to see Deadpool chilling on his couch.

Maybe they're saving the Deadpool cameo for season 2 of Loki. The DP2 after-credits is their wheelhouse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Donnerberg posted:

Maybe they're saving the Deadpool cameo for season 2 of Loki. The DP2 after-credits is their wheelhouse.
I loved that show so much I broke my no devices on a camping trip rule to watch the latest ep last August.

Sylvie and Loki read very, very differently when you're trans and function as a wonderful metaphor for learning to love yourself enough to change even when yourself doesn't love you back.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twitter has stopped loading for me (lol) and idk how true it is but I saw someone claim that filming was finished within way too short a time period and that it commenced during the writers strike so we may have to expect a not entirely high quality product

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Twitter has stopped loading for me (lol) and idk how true it is but I saw someone claim that filming was finished within way too short a time period and that it commenced during the writers strike so we may have to expect a not entirely high quality product
You can't adlib right now and I'm not sure if I want to see a Deadpool where that's not possible.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Donnerberg posted:

Rumors are that Owen Wilson is in Deadpool 3 and that Matthew McFadyen is playing a TVA agent so there's probably something cooking.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't pretend to know anything about the production side of these things, but I guess it doesn't help that there's already sort of two X-men universes already, which they even tried to blend with a movie! But be that as it may, both sir Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender are already MAGNETO, the MASTER of MAGNETISM, so let's introduce a third one into the mix?

What I want to know, K.E.V.I.N., is where the gently caress are the Fantastic Four and even more importantly, the glory and wonder that is von DOOM :doom:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Deadpool 2 ended with time fuckery so they basically wrote themselves in ahead of time

I am praying the Owen Wilson rumors are true, I love him

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Deadpool 2 ended with time fuckery so they basically wrote themselves in ahead of time

I am praying the Owen Wilson rumors are true, I love him

I keep saying that Deadpool is going to turn out to be the culprit that messed up the multiverse. And yeah,it's all going to lead to the after credit scenes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The X-Men are being saved for Phase 7 when the juice is really running out and when all their main actors have finished their contracts so they have something to get people invested for another 10 years

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
They are going to drop the ball with DOOM so hard

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rarity posted:

The X-Men are being saved for Phase 7 when the juice is really running out and when all their main actors have finished their contracts so they have something to get people invested for another 10 years
Close but it's end of Phase 5, Phase 6 at latest, for the exact reasons you said, especially if they whiff the F4.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

If they whiff the Fantastic 4 again, after 70 Billion dollars to buy Fox, I'll never stop laughing

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Given how things have gone in the last couple of years I think it is more a when than if. I am of course happy to be wrong about this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

After Endgame you really think the leadership would have stepped back and gone "Ok so our heavy hitters are out, time to focus on selling everyone on new characters" instead of presuming interest/fealty. It is absolutely not working out for them and you can find posts of mine going back 20 years throwing support behind this engine.

They'll wash out to even, they're too big not to, but it's still sad to watch what seemed like a well-led enterprise eat its own tail out of momentum.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

To be fair, it’s not as if DC has really given them much incentive to improve.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, given a time machine, I'd have made phase 4 be about dealing with the aftermath of the blip. Introduce a few new heroes here who stepped in to help rebuild or stop those who'd take advantage of the chaos.

Phase 5 would have been bringing those heroes together and only towards the end start laying in hints of the next big bad. The key would have been keeping things small and personal for a couple years.

Oh well. I just hope X-men comes out before I die.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Soonmot posted:

The key would have been keeping things small and personal for a couple years.

This was definitely the intent in some of the broad strokes-- Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Wandavision, Loki, Hawkeye-- but something ballooned out of control with the megamachine, budgets, and general momentum. Taking a break for a few years from the film side is super easy to say from the outside but like, how would anyone even do that? It's like Ione Sky taking a break from the film world after Say Anything for just like 2 years and then coming back in to find no one really wanted her reestablished. In entertainment if you want mainstream success you do until you die, no matter how obviously bad an idea that is.

I maintain that the biggest problem is that Marvel stopped making a very sincere effort to sell the characters. For all the faults of their movies, you can tell they really want you to buy Doctor Strange, or Ant-Man, or Black Panther, or Captain Marvel, and while they still have actors and characters with real appeal they stopped giving those character space to breathe. There's a reason Quantumania is seen as kind-of a focal point for everything going wrong-- by this point you have 2 heroes, 1 legacy hero, 2 old guard heroes, 1 new villain, 3 new supporting characters, and they all eat each other's oxygen to the point where none of them really establish much of a presence; not even Majors doing his damndest to own the screen as Kang. The best D+ shows are unequivocally the ones that give their new characters room to breathe-- She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel-- and not the ones that just crowd the plate with more and more bodies. Even Wakanda Forever, which I really liked, struggles immensely because every single person on-screen in that movie is being a star so there's very little for a viewer to anchor onto.

And so it goes with Secret Invasion-- a lot of people talking at Fury and nothing to really hold onto other than "ok never trust refugees and torture to get what you want?"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There are no anchors now. Phase 1 had Coulson and Fury pushing things towards the first Avengers movie, and then overall they had Tony and/or Steve in over half the movies. Now everything feels all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

This was definitely the intent in some of the broad strokes-- Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Wandavision, Loki, Hawkeye-- but something ballooned out of control with the megamachine, budgets, and general momentum. Taking a break for a few years from the film side is super easy to say from the outside but like, how would anyone even do that? It's like Ione Sky taking a break from the film world after Say Anything for just like 2 years and then coming back in to find no one really wanted her reestablished. In entertainment if you want mainstream success you do until you die, no matter how obviously bad an idea that is.

I maintain that the biggest problem is that Marvel stopped making a very sincere effort to sell the characters. For all the faults of their movies, you can tell they really want you to buy Doctor Strange, or Ant-Man, or Black Panther, or Captain Marvel, and while they still have actors and characters with real appeal they stopped giving those character space to breathe. There's a reason Quantumania is seen as kind-of a focal point for everything going wrong-- by this point you have 2 heroes, 1 legacy hero, 2 old guard heroes, 1 new villain, 3 new supporting characters, and they all eat each other's oxygen to the point where none of them really establish much of a presence; not even Majors doing his damndest to own the screen as Kang. The best D+ shows are unequivocally the ones that give their new characters room to breathe-- She-Hulk, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel-- and not the ones that just crowd the plate with more and more bodies. Even Wakanda Forever, which I really liked, struggles immensely because every single person on-screen in that movie is being a star so there's very little for a viewer to anchor onto.

And so it goes with Secret Invasion-- a lot of people talking at Fury and nothing to really hold onto other than "ok never trust refugees and torture to get what you want?"

I didn't mean they should take a break from movies, just that those movies should be smaller stakes. I'm a quantumania liker, but that should not have been an antman movie. Our first was about reconnecting with Scott's family, our second was about rescuing Janet. Third was a revolution on another plane of existence? Again, I liked it, but it lacked that personal hook