Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm not sure what it'd get you, though - if you're actually using the system, you don't want immutability because of the slight annoyances it introduces, and if you're using it in a setting where it makes sense to have it truly immutable, then you probably need to do way more to it to turn it into a proper appliance OS.

It would get you checkpoints for every time you do a pkg install or upgrade that you could roll back to, and having the directories read-only means you can trust the checkpoints to actually capture everything that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

NihilCredo posted:

Context: I want to run some web services that are a bit too heavyweight for my Raspberry Pi. I did some napkin math and figured that even purchasing the cheapest mini-server on the second-hand market would take 3-4 years to break even in costs, compared to simply running my gaming/coding desktop 24/7 and sucking up the electricity prices, which would also be more convenient in other ways (less stuff around the house, fewer devices to admin, better perf). So I'm now looking at how I can get it to idle as cheaply/quietly as possible.

Question: I have noticed that, by physically disconnecting the GPU from the turned-off monitor, the power draw at the wall goes down by 15-20W (compared to turning off the monitor but leaving the cable connected). Can this behaviour be toggled via a script? I.e. set/unset a flag that tells the GPU "pretend your cable is disconnected"? The GPU is an AMD RDNA3 model, if relevant.

The command for monitor off is : "xset dpms force off". It should put the monitor into the same state as if you had waited for your dm's monitor off timeout.
Not sure if it will actually do what you want, though. But I am interested in hearing your test results, please post them.

Also what happens if you unplug your monitor from power (and wait for the caps to discharge) after turning it off with the button?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I think for a lot of folks buying a used/refurbed ultra small form factor computer like a Lenovo thinkcentre/thinkstation is a reasonable step up from a single board computer.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Context: I want to run some web services that are a bit too heavyweight for my Raspberry Pi. I did some napkin math and figured that even purchasing the cheapest mini-server on the second-hand market would take 3-4 years to break even in costs, compared to simply running my gaming/coding desktop 24/7 and sucking up the electricity prices, which would also be more convenient in other ways (less stuff around the house, fewer devices to admin, better perf). So I'm now looking at how I can get it to idle as cheaply/quietly as possible.

Question: I have noticed that, by physically disconnecting the GPU from the turned-off monitor, the power draw at the wall goes down by 15-20W (compared to turning off the monitor but leaving the cable connected). Can this behaviour be toggled via a script? I.e. set/unset a flag that tells the GPU "pretend your cable is disconnected"? The GPU is an AMD RDNA3 model, if relevant.

Why not use a GPIO or USB controlled relay to cut power to the monitor

E: wait, that's not what you said. That's weird. I wish I could unpost :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Can you install radeon-profile or corectrl and check a thing out? Pull up a graph of GPU clockspeed, let a normal monitor power save happen, and then look at the graph. Clockspeed should go to zero (halted) when that happens, and it sounds like you are just staying in normal low-clock idle.

If that's the case, my first assumption would be that RDNA3 is new and the drivers still need time, so I wouldn't waste much effort on manual solutions.

I have a RDNA2 card and the zero clock works correctly. I don't have a watt meter, but I assume it's not drawing many watts at that point.

VictualSquid posted:

Also what happens if you unplug your monitor from power (and wait for the caps to discharge) after turning it off with the button?

My guess is Nihil is connected via HDMI -- HDMI has passive connection sense, so just having a cable plugged in on both ends is enough to let the card know a monitor is there. But if it's DP that might work.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NihilCredo posted:

What about a pi compute node? You can put fast storage on them, which alleviates a lot of storage workload/waits. I guess it depends on how close to the perf edge you're running.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NihilCredo posted:

You have a 7900XT, the first chiplet GPU? The GPU with famously the worst idle power consumption in many years?

Re: cheap alternatives, I got 8 years of hosting service out of an Intel NUC with a mobile i5 that I got used for $140, and only replaced it because it was finally feeling a little slow recently. It's replacement was a $115 AliExpress N5105 box, and if you get one of the new N95 or N100 boxes out now for the same price they'll be even faster. I guess that technically $120 is about 2.5 years of electricity if your desktop idles at 50W. What's a good modern idle anyway?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My R720xd with 24 spinners runs around 200W most of the time running my Plex server and a few VMs. A modern desktop PSU, especially SFF should be even lower than 50W even under a bit of load.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

My 3700x with 32GB ram and two SSDs idles at 22W :haw:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

My R720xd with 24 spinners runs around 200W most of the time running my Plex server and a few VMs. A modern desktop PSU, especially SFF should be even lower than 50W even under a bit of load.

Someone should have told AMD, the 7900XTX and friends suck 40+W only for the GPU at idle:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Twerk from Home posted:

Someone should have told AMD, the 7900XTX and friends suck 40+W only for the GPU at idle:

Is that multi-monitor specific?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Is that multi-monitor specific?

Yeah, things get much better with one monitor but it's still near the top of every idle power usage measurement compared to other GPUs, and 25+ watts even in the best case scenario.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Computer viking posted:

It would get you checkpoints for every time you do a pkg install or upgrade that you could roll back to, and having the directories read-only means you can trust the checkpoints to actually capture everything that happens.
I think maybe someone's working on this already, just accomplished a different way.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I think maybe someone's working on this already, just accomplished a different way.

A tiny bit of user interface on top of taking a snapshot before each pkg operation would probably get you most of the benefits. :)

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
I've recently taken my first steps with Linux by installing Ubuntu on my laptop :)

The install went well but I am now mostly looking if there are recommended resources (books/sites/...) for someone who is just starting out with only prior Windows experience. Or recommended search terms even.

The main usage of the laptop was and is web browsing and watching some video with VLC currently.

I managed to change some basic settings by searching for ubuntu for beginners and things to do first.

I want to learn more off it though. For instance in the event that something goes wrong, general maintenance or when I'll want to create a network share with my windows 10 desktop.

Most times when I look something up there is an answer to type in certain commands in the terminal.

I understand that learning the terminal and commands will be worthwhile to learn. It seems though that most resources I come across don't really offer an explanation as to how this works or what it does.
It just boils down to type this in and done, and aside from not learning much that way it doesn't seem smart to do things when you don't know what you are doing.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The first word in those commands is the name of the program you are invoking. If you type in that name and then "-help" (or some variation of that), you will be presented with an explanation of that program and its most commonly used arguments. You can then add "-help" after the program name and argument to get more info on that argument.

You can also use "man" on a program to get its full manual.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 2, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its usually "--help" (two dashes) or just "-h", to be pedantic.

Also you can do "man -K 'search term' " to do a search through your man pages, though depending on the terms and your OS it may or may not be quick and faster to just search it on a browser.

Also also when a program takes over the screen, such as when you use man, thats usually a pager. You can leave it by just hitting Q usually, or ctrl + c is an almost universal quit program keyboard shortcut. While in a pager view (e.g. reading a man page) you can hit "/" and type out a word and hit enter to search for that word, "n" will cycle through the matches.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 2, 2023

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The `apropos` command also searches through manpages.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Thanks for the answers that should help get me started.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Zadda posted:

BTW, your idea of wanting to know what what you are typing does is very important. Many linux programs are console focused and don't rely on a gui. Some don't even have a gui but are documented well enough for other people to write their own gui which basically just executes those same commands in the background. That's actually one of my favorite things about the os.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Quick question, I think what I actually just need is to know what to google for this. Is this just a multihead setup? Is there a straightforward way to accomplish this like my ideal scenario? Can I do it with Wayland too?

I'm building another computer to run the projector and the CRT.

How do I set those two up as separate screens? Like, actually separate, not an extension of each other? I'll be using KDE most likely. I swear this is possible and is even the easier, more expected a long time ago setup, but I don't remember the actual steps and if you google it you mostly get something about a more traditional multimonitor setup.

Ideally what I'd have is two separate desktops, one for the CRT, and one for the projector. And I'd switch between which one I'm controlling with, I dunno, a key combo or something. And even more ideally programs run on one desktop use a different audio audio than the other. So like, I start up the jellyfin client on the CRT desktop it will only be aware of that display, there's no chance it ends up on another display, and it sends audio out the normal onboard audio through to the speakers I use for that.

Then though, I open jellyfin on the screen for the projector, it's only aware of the projector and it will send audio through hdmi to the receiver.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 2, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

BrainDance posted:

Quick question, I think what I actually just need is to know what to google for this. Is this just a multihead setup? Is there a straightforward way to accomplish this like my ideal scenario? Can I do it with Wayland too?

I'm building another computer to run the projector and the CRT.

How do I set those two up as separate screens? Like, actually separate, not an extension of each other? I'll be using KDE most likely. I swear this is possible and is even the easier, more expected a long time ago setup, but I don't remember the actual steps and if you google it you mostly get something about a more traditional multimonitor setup.

Ideally what I'd have is two separate desktops, one for the CRT, and one for the projector. And I'd switch between which one I'm controlling with, I dunno, a key combo or something. And even more ideally programs run on one desktop use a different audio audio than the other. So like, I start up the jellyfin client on the CRT desktop it will only be aware of that display, there's no chance it ends up on another display, and it sends audio out the normal onboard audio through to the speakers I use for that.

Then though, I open jellyfin on the screen for the projector, it's only aware of the projector and it will send audio through hdmi to the receiver.

The traditional way to do that is to run a separate X server for each monitor.
How to do that is buried deep inside the docs of your login manager.

I used to do that in order to experiment with different DEs. I think I used gdm as login manager at the time. They went to different virtual terminals and I could switch to which my one monitor and inputs was pointed with ctrl-alt-f9 and ctrl-alt-f10 or something, which was the default back then.

Might not be exactly what you want, I suppose. But maybe there is an option to only switch the inputs and not the monitor.

You can and should login as a different user for each session, which makes separate audio easy.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

VictualSquid posted:

The traditional way to do that is to run a separate X server for each monitor.
How to do that is buried deep inside the docs of your login manager.

I used to do that in order to experiment with different DEs. I think I used gdm as login manager at the time. They went to different virtual terminals and I could switch to which my one monitor and inputs was pointed with ctrl-alt-f9 and ctrl-alt-f10 or something, which was the default back then.

Might not be exactly what you want, I suppose. But maybe there is an option to only switch the inputs and not the monitor.

You can and should login as a different user for each session, which makes separate audio easy.

This sounds swank. I currently just use an HDMI switcher and manually change the sound output and it's kind of a PAIN!!!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

ziasquinn posted:

This sounds swank. I currently just use an HDMI switcher and manually change the sound output and it's kind of a PAIN!!!

Audio on Linux....

For me, I was gonna do that, but for some reason half the time when I switch from the CRT (which is stereo) to the receiver I just lose the 5.1 profile. Like it vanishes from the list. So I'm either using stereo or rebooting.

That and for all my talk of "Sid actually is very stable it rarely gives me problems!" something broke with an update and now, I'll have the 5.1 profile. I do the speaker test for each speaker, they all work. Then I use firefox, jellyfin, qmmp, anything and audio only comes out of front left and right. Reinstalled pulse, went back to pipewire, doesnt matter just doesnt wanna play out of anything besides those 2 speakers. I set it to stereo and it'll come out of all the speakers, but that's not the same. It doesnt matter, it's what I expected to eventually happen and I just run Sid for fun.

That was half of the reason why I was like "well, I've been meaning to build this computer out of leftover parts to replace the old laptop running it all in the first place, might as well now" and I'll just keep a Debian stable install alongside it or something for when it breaks in an annoying way and actually use the laptop with Sid on it for laptop stuff. I need a place to stick a bunch of drives and run the jellyfin server from anyway after my 90s tv station project got massive.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

BrainDance posted:

Audio on Linux....

For me, I was gonna do that, but for some reason half the time when I switch from the CRT (which is stereo) to the receiver I just lose the 5.1 profile. Like it vanishes from the list. So I'm either using stereo or rebooting.

That and for all my talk of "Sid actually is very stable it rarely gives me problems!" something broke with an update and now, I'll have the 5.1 profile. I do the speaker test for each speaker, they all work. Then I use firefox, jellyfin, qmmp, anything and audio only comes out of front left and right. Reinstalled pulse, went back to pipewire, doesnt matter just doesnt wanna play out of anything besides those 2 speakers. I set it to stereo and it'll come out of all the speakers, but that's not the same. It doesnt matter, it's what I expected to eventually happen and I just run Sid for fun.

That was half of the reason why I was like "well, I've been meaning to build this computer out of leftover parts to replace the old laptop running it all in the first place, might as well now" and I'll just keep a Debian stable install alongside it or something for when it breaks in an annoying way and actually use the laptop with Sid on it for laptop stuff. I need a place to stick a bunch of drives and run the jellyfin server from anyway after my 90s tv station project got massive.

Sometimes I get lucky and plugging in my Luna controller automatically switches the output to it, but half the time I forget to check before sitting down at my couch and then I gotta get up again.

But yeah, I get it -- I can only get the HDMI out for the sound to appear if I switch to the TV, turn it on, then cycle the HDMI switch 2x... it might appear inside pavucontrol....

Also, FYI the amazon luna controller is nice. Really nice build quality, basically a xbox controller with clickier buttons and playstation triggers (no haptics). I think its on sale right now? (has wired, bluetooth, wifi)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Here's an odd thing: Opening my terminal window for the first time (my computer's been off most of the day), neofetch interrupted to ask for my sudo password. CTRL-C just dropped me back into my default command line. Typing in the command allowed neofetch to finish running.

The only things I have running in my bashrc are:
  • neofetch (doesn't need sudo)
  • a script I wrote to calculate the days left in the year/month (shouldn't need sudo)
  • a script I wrote to calculate the days left in summer (shouldn't need sudo)
  • starship to customize my terminal line.

Is this normal? Starship has never needed escalated permission before. I haven't updated my system since Monday (always do it first thing on Monday morning).

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Here's an odd thing: Opening my terminal window for the first time (my computer's been off most of the day), neofetch interrupted to ask for my sudo password. CTRL-C just dropped me back into my default command line. Typing in the command allowed neofetch to finish running.

• a script I wrote to calculate the days left in the year/month (shouldn't need sudo)

Is this normal? Starship has never needed escalated permission before. I haven't updated my system since Monday (always do it first thing on Monday morning).
No, not normal. Might be trying to install system wide, versus locally, though.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

I would check your logs to see what specifically was requesting sudo:

code:
journalctl -b -0 -g sudo
The "-b -0" limits output to the current boot. The "-g sudo" greps for occurences of "sudo", and is the equivalent of
code:
journalctl -b -0 | grep sudo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The "-g sudo" greps for occurences of "sudo", and is the equivalent of
code:

Not exactly, note that -g only searches the message part, not the process / unit name / date.

So for example:
code:
~ > journalctl -g sftp-server    
-- No entries --

~ > journalctl | grep sftp-server                                                                                   36s
Jul 03 22:50:39 Arcana sftp-server[645829]: error: process_read: read "/home/me/filename": Bad file descriptor

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Zadda posted:

tmux is something nice to learn about earlier too. Basically if you are running multiple programs of any kind in console, it can be useful.

I'm trying to figure out why XFCE and equivalent vnc-esque solutions (including xrdp);all fail on my amd cpu/gpu Ubuntu setup. Not sure where to start, they all get to vnc login screen and crash when it tries to go past logging in and starting xfce or (plasma) or whatever. Will prob post some stuff here next week on it. I mostly wanted to set this up so I could tailscale back to my main machine at home when I'm on vacation, but I failed there.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 4, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The two main files to look at when troubleshooting VNC server issues are "xstartup" and the log file in the "~/.vnc" directory. xstartup has the commands to start when VNC starts, my XFCE4 one looks like this:
code:
xrdb "$HOME/.Xresources"
xsetroot -solid grey
export GDK_SCALE=1
dbus-launch xfce4-session
Can you paste yours, and take a look at the log file to see what failed?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I would check your logs to see what specifically was requesting sudo:

code:
journalctl -b -0 -g sudo
The "-b -0" limits output to the current boot. The "-g sudo" greps for occurences of "sudo", and is the equivalent of
code:

OK, thanks! Here's what I got when I did that:

code:
-- Logs begin at Sat 2023-04-22 09:47:10 EDT, end at Tue 2023-07-04 15:21:29 EDT. --
Jul 04 10:20:07 my_login sudo[1789]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 04 10:20:07 my_login sudo[1789]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
10:20 is probably about the time I turned on my computer this morning, so that much tracks. The rest of it I'm not sure about.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Klyith posted:

Not exactly, note that -g only searches the message part, not the process / unit name / date.

So for example:
code:
-- No entries --

~ > journalctl | grep sftp-server                                                                                   36s
Jul 03 22:50:39 Arcana sftp-server[645829]: error: process_read: read "/home/me/filename": Bad file descriptor

I didn't know that - thanks!

code:
-- Logs begin at Sat 2023-04-22 09:47:10 EDT, end at Tue 2023-07-04 15:21:29 EDT. --
Jul 04 10:20:07 my_login sudo[1789]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul 04 10:20:07 my_login sudo[1789]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
10:20 is probably about the time I turned on my computer this morning, so that much tracks. The rest of it I'm not sure about.

Is there anything in your .bashrc that could be asking for sudo privileges? If you create a new user and log in as that account, are you prompted for a sudo password as well?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Klyith posted:

So for example:
code:
-- No entries --

I always use journalctl -fu sftp-server

fu is easy for me to remember.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

There should be "auth.log" or "secure" files under /var/log, grep for sudo from them. May need to use zgrep if they are compressed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Is there anything in your .bashrc that could be asking for sudo privileges? If you create a new user and log in as that account, are you prompted for a sudo password as well?

There shouldn't be. I've configured my .bashrc to display:
neofetch
cal[endar]
My script to count the days left in the year and the days left until fall (it's a calculation so it shouldn't need sudo privileges)
fortune | cowsay -f tux
eval "$(starship init bash)"

I'm using the default GNOME terminal (for now) that comes with Mint, if that helps at all.

Saukkis posted:

There should be "auth.log" or "secure" files under /var/log, grep for sudo from them. May need to use zgrep if they are compressed.

code:
Jul  3 11:18:28 SA sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [FSF]
Jul  4 10:20:07 SA sudo:    FSF : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/FSF ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/chown FSF -q
Jul  4 10:20:07 SA sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Jul  4 10:20:07 SA sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
The first and second lines confuse me. I've never had an issue with my auth password before. Now I'm worried that I may have inadvertently rm'd an important root file somewhere...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 5, 2023

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

code:
Jul  4 10:20:07 SA sudo:    FSF : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/FSF ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/chown FSF -q
The first and second lines confuse me. I've never had an issue with my auth password before. Now I'm worried that I may have inadvertently rm'd an important root file somewhere...

That is the command that caused the sudo prompt. Can you check with "grep -r chown ~FSF/.*" to search for chown in your dot-files?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not really a question here but your friendly reminder to remember to put a -y on your fsck so you don't have to do what I did and leave a playstation controller balanced to hold your enter key down for 3 hours.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tesseraction posted:

Not really a question here but your friendly reminder to remember to put a -y on your fsck so you don't have to do what I did and leave a playstation controller balanced to hold your enter key down for 3 hours.

modern problems require modern solutions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tesseraction posted:

Couldn't you just ctrl-c when it first asked for a confirm and re-run? Pretty sure fsck is safe to terminate.