Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ah, well that's amusing enough then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Happy Canada Day!!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Those darn National Assembly blockheads I tell you.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Happy Canada Day! Our own loveable scamp ecofasicst got permabanned and tonight there will probably be fireworks in celebration.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

trapstar posted:

Happy Canada Day!!

Mad Hamish posted:

Happy Canada Day! Our own loveable scamp ecofasicst got permabanned and tonight there will probably be fireworks in celebration.
i'm not a thread regular but i browse it. will you post a user name so i can find in the leper's colony.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

i'm not a thread regular but i browse it. will you post a user name so i can find in the leper's colony.

It was Rime.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I honestly thought he had been permabanned previously. Now I'll never know if I really had an allergic reaction to his weird booze or if he poisoned me at a goon meet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

I honestly thought he had been permabanned previously.

He was. Jeff overturned it.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Iiii loving knew it!! Jeff is a fool.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Charles Bukowski posted:

I honestly thought he had been permabanned previously. Now I'll never know if I really had an allergic reaction to his weird booze or if he poisoned me at a goon meet.

Considering rime's thoughts on mass death there's a decent chance either way. If you're Chinese the odds of poison rise to 100%

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Rip the goat of meltdowns

One of my most cherished canpol memories is me agreeing with a post of his, and him getting upset about that for multiple posts afterwards lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Happy Canada Day. I guess even leftists deserve a holiday from time to time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My gift to you is not changing the thread title to "Happy First of July!" again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikeC posted:

Happy Canada Day. I guess even leftists deserve a holiday from time to time.

Happy Canada Day, we can share it with the Tories I guess.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Do all the people flying their flags upsidedown turning it right side up for Canada day?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Do all the people flying their flags upsidedown turning it right side up for Canada day?

People are flying the Canadian flag upside down? Is it some residential schools thing?

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
P sure it's the convoy goofs flying the upside-down flags. Most people against Canadian colonialism and genocide don't fly it at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Arivia posted:

People are flying the Canadian flag upside down? Is it some residential schools thing?

I can almost guarantee you that's not why they're doing it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh convoy idiots gently caress those chuds

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
There are some flag waving big truck gently caress trudeau sticker people here but all their flags are always the right way up.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are upside down flags even a thing here? I thought that was just some American army thing lol

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

There are some flag waving big truck gently caress trudeau sticker people here but all their flags are always the right way up.

But Pride Month was last month. Very brave of them to profess their homosexual attraction to our nice-haired Prime Minister so openly.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I wouldn’t even notice the flag upside down unless I looked carefully.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
What do like, Swiss chuds do? Turn the flag 45 degrees?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They're too busy burning ownership records of certain bank accounts

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

You put the flag upside down on the autumnal equinox in anticipation of leaves falling and put it back up for the vernal equinox so they grow back.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Arivia posted:

Pretty much the exact opposite kind of people do that usually.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Flying national flags upside down is a marine distress signal from the age of sail. It’s being used by the right to signal that the country is danger, or something of that sort.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh, so they're concerned about rising ocean levels submerging much of the country. Good on them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada day is the one day of the year where you can't tell if someone is a fascist or not just because they have a flag on their car.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Got to see some 80 people become Canadians prior to the baseball game I'm at tonight. It was moving.

Took the opportunity to mutter something about Charles III going out like Charles I.

Petanque posted:

What do like, Swiss chuds do? Turn the flag 45 degrees?
Yeah, and add an extension at 90 degrees to each arm.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fornax Disaster posted:

Flying national flags upside down is a marine distress signal from the age of sail. It’s being used by the right to signal that the country is danger, or something of that sort.
Does the flag have to have gold frills for that?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Anyone know of a good neutral assessment of Bill C-11? I've gotten "It will let the evil Liberal government force censor your entertainment!" (to promote Canadian content, but I suspect the mind stops at 'the government will censor your freedom of choice') to "It's just reworking the old Broadcasting act so newer forms of mass entertainment have to contribute to Canadian content like older content did', but that's on the official government site and I will be a LITTLE wary of THEM making their own argument. Ergo, someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, or wants to use it to grind an axe, would be good. Googling didn't help me much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Anyone know of a good neutral assessment of Bill C-11? I've gotten "It will let the evil Liberal government force censor your entertainment!" (to promote Canadian content, but I suspect the mind stops at 'the government will censor your freedom of choice') to "It's just reworking the old Broadcasting act so newer forms of mass entertainment have to contribute to Canadian content like older content did', but that's on the official government site and I will be a LITTLE wary of THEM making their own argument. Ergo, someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight, or wants to use it to grind an axe, would be good. Googling didn't help me much.

Michael Geist covered it on his blog, I believe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Geist is uh... the opposite of neutral. He wears his libertarian influences on his sleeve, he might as well be pocketing Big Tech money.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Here's the Bill C-11 FAQ from Open Media. Sure, Open Media is biased, but they're pretty accurate about determining whether proposed legislation will be poo poo for consumers.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You're all just lucky I'm making quality CANCON posts on this website.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Its quite tolerable outside at 4am, why don't we just do everything now instead of in the wretched heat?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Jan posted:

Geist is uh... the opposite of neutral. He wears his libertarian influences on his sleeve, he might as well be pocketing Big Tech money.

Isn't he an anti big tech activist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Isn't he an anti big tech activist?

Yeah my read on Geist has always been that he’s the Canadian equivalent of like an EFF-affiliated academic. He’s big on internet/digital freedoms and not a fan of big tech, but I can imagine he might have some issues outside of that sphere (not a libertarian but might read like one if you’re not familiar with that kind of discourse).

Regardless, open media is a good resource in place of.