Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Dexo posted:

Hali lobs to Obi gonna be fun.

I guess I'm the only person on earth who still believes in Jalen Smith. Or maybe Obi is coming as a backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I could swear I read something where the Lakers were limited to something like a 4/40 offer for some reason which other teams could beat due to some weirdness

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Intruder posted:

I could swear I read something where the Lakers were limited to something like a 4/40 offer for some reason

4/56 was the max they could offer. I think another team could have hypothetically offered, like, 4/96? But I think the Spurs were the only team with the cap space to make that happen and I guess they weren't willing to tie up cap space for a few days just to spite the Lakers (which they should feel bad about)

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I guess I'm the only person on earth who still believes in Jalen Smith. Or maybe Obi is coming as a backup

I mean, the Pacers just drafted our hopeful starting PF. I know they really like Toppin, so I guess make the deal if the Knicks are going to give him away for nothing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1675220871462506497

lock in lamelo for 5 years and 260m as well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Wish I was more confident about LaMelo’s ability to stay healthy but it’s still the thing to do

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Man gently caress that. Herro isn't any kind of upgrade over Anfernee Simons.

Respect to Dame, but if I'm Portland I don't honor this request. As we get near the trade deadline there has to be a team that can give up real assets compared against the peanuts the Heat can offer right now.
Yeah a team can do their best to honor a trade request but the return has to be reasonable. A package headlined by Herro, you’d almost be just as well off getting nothing. They gotta just ask Dame what other destinations would work. Because even if Dame is threatening not to report you can do better than Herro, Duncan Robinson, and the 22nd pick or whatever.

WhyteRyce posted:

Lol Shams and Woj continue to get scooped by some rando twitter account
I feel like insiders might frequently know things they can’t say or that could still go wrong, so they keep quiet or at most do the now infamous Windy hint-hint.

This guy would probably get fired from his job if they knew he was putting this stuff out there but he’s still demanding attention for it because he can’t resist the clout. Reminds me of a more fun version of the discord leaker or a more relevant version of someone leaking Big Brother details when feeds are down

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

xbilkis posted:

4/56 was the max they could offer. I think another team could have hypothetically offered, like, 4/96? But I think the Spurs were the only team with the cap space to make that happen and I guess they weren't willing to tie up cap space for a few days just to spite the Lakers (which they should feel bad about)

I assume they want the space open so they grease trades for Lillard or Harden and collect picks.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wait, how the gently caress did Reaves only cost $56 mil across four years?

edit: okay maybe I should've refreshed the page before asking this

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lmao

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

surf rock posted:

Wait, how the gently caress did Reaves only cost $56 mil across four years?

edit: okay maybe I should've refreshed the page before asking this

Reaves also knows he can keep getting paid on bigger and bigger deals indefinitely as long as he keeps performing like that. Kid is gonna wind up with a sneaky long career.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Scoops Beverly

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fast Luck posted:

I feel like insiders might frequently know things they can’t say or that could still go wrong, so they keep quiet or at most do the now infamous Windy hint-hint.

This guy would probably get fired from his job if they knew he was putting this stuff out there but he’s still demanding attention for it because he can’t resist the clout. Reminds me of a more fun version of the discord leaker or a more relevant version of someone leaking Big Brother details when feeds are down

This is extremely it. Like things change, but generally Agents and owners all know roughly what everyone is gonna get long before free agency. Someone might get desperate or thirsty late and make a play which agents all aim for, but yeah generally it's known the rough parameters of what everyone gets

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I feel like you can never look at these #s too many times

Gentle reminder that Dame will be 36 going into that final year. I genuinely believe that he still has multiple seasons of high-level or even elite play in front of him, anddddd also genuinely cannot believe we're actually going to get out from under this thing

rivetz fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 1, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Did the cap floor rules change where the difference is no longer given out as a bonus to the players? Because that would be preferable. Or just having the extra cap space to absorb someone’s deal for extra assets i.e. the thing they should be doing now that they are in a rebuild

Yes I know Grant is just a gunner now and won’t move the winning needle if he’s the primary option but there isn’t a ton of benefit having him on the roster at that price

yeah it changed. you get all sorts of penalties beyond no revenue sharing. the space ceases to exist and you cant use it in season. it's stupidly punitive

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Lowe was talking about a new tv deal, but what if there's a recession, what if tv viewership keeps dropping and the new tv deal is no bigger? Suddenly nobody gets bailed out of their stupid signings

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

Lowe was talking about a new tv deal, but what if there's a recession, what if tv viewership keeps dropping and the new tv deal is no bigger? Suddenly nobody gets bailed out of their stupid signings

Tech will start cutting checks, Amazon is already paying for the completely terrible NFL games.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

rivetz posted:

I feel like you can never look at these #s too many times

Gentle reminder that Dame will be 36 going into that final year. I genuinely believe that he still has multiple seasons of high-level or even elite play in front of him, anddddd also genuinely cannot believe we're actually going to get out from under this thing

By 2026-2027 that contract will be the going rate for a high-ish level starter

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

the National TV games still do very well ratings wise. Especially compared to everything else.

The RSN's are a problem, but like those are the individual team's problem moreso than the gently caress off money the League makes from TNT/ABC/ESPN.

Like NBC is trying to get back in on the NBA.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Lamelo owns and I'm glad he got his bag. It's not like they gave this to Kemba Walker or something.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So the rumblings around Portland is they think they can still be competitive next year.

:ok:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Define competitive?

Like yeah if Scoot is NBA ready, with Simmons, Herro, Grant and Nurkic they could be scrapping for the 10th seed.

Probably won't get it but they could be "in the hunt™"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A team that just lost their franchise star often says poo poo like they will still be competitive

They may even say it in Comic Sans

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dexo posted:

Define competitive?

Like yeah if Scoot is NBA ready, with Simmons, Herro, Grant and Nurkic they could be scrapping for the 10th seed.

Probably won't get it but they could be "in the hunt™"

I don’t know how they think a roster full of summer league players is going to win 30 games, let alone 40. It is just what they are telling the media.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Calidus posted:

Tech will start cutting checks, Amazon is already paying for the completely terrible NFL games.
Maybe but I feel like a lot of the streaming services are also losing money now that it’s such a competitive arena.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Fast Luck posted:

Maybe but I feel like a lot of the streaming services are also losing money now that it’s such a competitive arena.

Other than Netflix they are all giant money pits that don’t turn a profit. Hulu technically does too but it’s part of Disney and Disney+ is a towering loser of $$$

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Mean Baby posted:

So the rumblings around Portland is they think they can still be competitive next year.

:ok:

With or without Dame?

With Dame absolutely. The team was 1st in the west before the wheels fell off. Last year's squad makes the play in at least without intentionally tanking. Assuming growth from Sharpe and rookie contributions from Scoot POR is pretty likely a 4-8 seed team.

Without, maybe less likely.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Reeves deal is the best of the offseason for the team. Everything I read online said he was gonna get like 70-90m deal from someone but maybe that wasn’t realistic. Lakers have done very well retaining their team’s talent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

I don’t know how they think a roster full of summer league players is going to win 30 games, let alone 40. It is just what they are telling the media.

I mean it largely tells the fanbase they aren't tanking and are gonna try and win games and aren't gonna tear it down to the studs, they will still probably end up 13th or whatever in the west. Which is where they've been the past two years.

But if Scoot is who I think he is I think they will be a team that can put up a fight.

Drastic increase in guard defense at least lol.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/tyhaliburton22/status/1675220380989165569?s=46&t=ckPt10nE464AHv1IdSGFyg

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If Dame is gone Portland really needs tank. Move Nurk and Ant asap and then Grant when they can.

Otherwise they'll end up doing the same thing that got them in trouble while they had Dame, trying to draft a star in the late lottery and trading for role players to try to compete

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

With or without Dame?

With Dame absolutely. The team was 1st in the west before the wheels fell off. Last year's squad makes the play in at least without intentionally tanking. Assuming growth from Sharpe and rookie contributions from Scoot POR is pretty likely a 4-8 seed team.

Without, maybe less likely.

Without Dame. I think with Dame and a couple of other moves the Blazers would be very competitive. Scoot could have easily won 6th man.

The problem isn’t just losing Dame’s talent is losing his leadership. I think it significantly stunts the growth of Scoot and Sharpe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I remember when Usman Garuba was a nba social media analytics darling

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It’s the holiday weekend and all I wanted to do is chill and look at nba twitter and now I can’t thanks to Elon.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

soggybagel posted:

It’s the holiday weekend and all I wanted to do is chill and look at nba twitter and now I can’t thanks to Elon.

it's so fuckin annoying

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There is apparently a fire sale on recent Houston draft picks.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsLaurenL/status/1675232892325187585

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

yay austin reeves but also boooooo austin reeves

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Libertine posted:

Reeves deal is the best of the offseason for the team. Everything I read online said he was gonna get like 70-90m deal from someone but maybe that wasn’t realistic. Lakers have done very well retaining their team’s talent.

Good grief I got my wires crossed between this thread and the NHL one and was thinking of Ryan Reeves.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

stuker posted:

it's so fuckin annoying

600 tweets is like, 35 seconds of scrolling. Anyways enjoy the weekend!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

How many of these value Lakers signings are about to get parts in Space Jam 3