Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

This is all so loving stupid.

I assume Jules is trying to make some vague gesture at how police are fash assholes who puts down True Journalists, but it doesn't work when your idiot protagonist rushes into a disaster zone pretending he's some action hero. Mark and his dad weren't even helping any injured people get away, they're immediately filming the trainwreck and acting like predatory ghouls. It makes the other guy look reasonable because he doesn't want these two morons getting closer and inhaling more dangerous chemicals. Just some absolute hack writing here.

TL;DR

Murdstone posted:

This is all so loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

manero posted:

Pluggers

I object violently to the idea that pluggers do not flip back and forth between sports and the Weather Channel like my father.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/30/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 4/12-14/51

Smokey Stover 7/24/55

Spoilered for racism in one of the background puns.

The spray whipped cream nozzle was patented in 1955.

Everyday Movies 7/25/36

"I don't like to hike any better than you, but Madge says more than 20 men go on these trips and last week there was only one girl besides herself, and she was homelier than a mud fence."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 10/9-11/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 1, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (July 3, 1976)

Cranky Shafterbean

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire smells a rat.

Thimble Theater (February 3, 1940)

Out Our Way (March 12-14, 1942)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

all of them?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "112 - Jucika And The Wind In April"

"113 - Jucika And The Charm Of The Ball"

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 12, 1958)

Val gonna pre-enact Battle of the Mutara Nebula on these guys

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more re-enacting the Battle of Salamis. Confined quarters, use their own numbers against them, very traditional.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 7/25/36

"I don't like to hike any better than you, but Madge says more than 20 men go on these trips and last week there was only one girl besides herself, and she was homelier than a mud fence."

I really love Everyday Movies. The sheer detail of it - the clothes, the decor, the little slices of life - it's just fantastic.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fighting Trousers posted:

I really love Everyday Movies. The sheer detail of it - the clothes, the decor, the little slices of life - it's just fantastic.

Yeah, I like it too. Also, “homelier than a mud fence” is a great slam.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Am I seeing this wrong? It's actually #2 that's the different one?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

You are correct.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. TomBat, you schmuck, "Creature Double Features" have been around for ages and the name's right there.

Ugh, this is prime boomer "I'm gonna buy a movie theater and run my own Turner Classic Movies" fantasy writ for the comic strip, which irritates me in much the same way I presume the "I'm running my own pizza place!" storylines with Montoni's irritated anyone who's ever worked in restaurant management and knows the actual realities involved. Smugly announcing programming is boring. Watching in amazement as the crowds (already written off as technology heads who won't look up from their phone screens) inevitably roll in to watch Cancer Savior Ghost Girl is boring. I wanna see Mason fuckin Jarre haul 100 pounds of print up all the stairs to the projection booth and cry when he discovers the boxes contain nothing but loose film with no reels. Or loop up a nice pristine archival print, forget to set the take-up reel, and watch as the film just spills out onto the floor. That's prime movie-theater-runnin' comedy there with the element of tragedy baked right in. C'mon, Batiuk.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

goatface posted:

I was thinking more re-enacting the Battle of Salamis. Confined quarters, use their own numbers against them, very traditional.

I thought for sure you were taking the piss, but the battle of lunch meat was an actual thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Medenmath posted:

Val, this is the problem when you don't leave an enemy alive to spread word of your loving badassery.

anyone who thinks Val is timid does not know the man.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

EasyEW posted:

Stephen Collins

The art makes me feel this is a new project from some dude who wrote kids books about nothing (but won a bunch of awards anyway) because he wanted to be taken seriously as a truth teller of society.

P.S. if you're gonna dump a run on sentence in its own panel with no background, it may as well have just been a tweet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

"Hey why didn't you bring my son?"
"Well war might break out any minute here. It didn't seem safe."
"Hmm, yes. Very considerate. Oh no, and I brought Arn here, how foolish!"
"Dude it's not safe for your son, are you saying my Arn can't handle himself"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Back from vacation megapost:

A+J

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 1, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Howard Beale posted:

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. TomBat, you schmuck, "Creature Double Features" have been around for ages and the name's right there.

Ugh, this is prime boomer "I'm gonna buy a movie theater and run my own Turner Classic Movies" fantasy writ for the comic strip, which irritates me in much the same way I presume the "I'm running my own pizza place!" storylines with Montoni's irritated anyone who's ever worked in restaurant management and knows the actual realities involved. Smugly announcing programming is boring. Watching in amazement as the crowds (already written off as technology heads who won't look up from their phone screens) inevitably roll in to watch Cancer Savior Ghost Girl is boring. I wanna see Mason fuckin Jarre haul 100 pounds of print up all the stairs to the projection booth and cry when he discovers the boxes contain nothing but loose film with no reels. Or loop up a nice pristine archival print, forget to set the take-up reel, and watch as the film just spills out onto the floor. That's prime movie-theater-runnin' comedy there with the element of tragedy baked right in. C'mon, Batiuk.

Speaking of, the most :lmao: thing about this is Batiuk randomly revealing in a Crankshaft strip a few weeks back that Montoni's finally closed down:

EasyEW posted:

For whoever was rooting for a demon to haunt that desk in Crankshaft, we're getting a different kind of curse.

Like, you'd think your titular character's business closing down would result in yet another crossover so Funky can mope around, but nah, just do it in a throwaway line lol.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sorry to get political in here, but: it says a lot about this country that patriotism is equated with spending money.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

As mentioned before, I really want to know how many King Kong and Godzilla movies he thinks there are. You gonna include King Kong Escapes?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hägar the Hëlium

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

No, you're right.

Dammit, Weber! Get your poo poo straight! :argh:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Andertoons is doing that thing where it doesn't update at the beginning of the month.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/7/51

Archie 9/1-3/47

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Road pizza

Nah, MW’s writers wouldn’t do that.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

...I'm not the only one reading this as a gay/bi Poncho, am I?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

After School Ghost Stories

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

ANSU

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Love how this makes the Feast of St John look like a ritual drowning. In the thumbnail I mistook the waves for motion lines, so at first I thought the baptize-ee's limbs were flailing around.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
A-chan B-ko-chan Expedition Log

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

First base.

And no further!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

drat I wanna see Leroy's Harold team.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

emSparkly posted:

The art makes me feel this is a new project from some dude who wrote kids books about nothing (but won a bunch of awards anyway) because he wanted to be taken seriously as a truth teller of society.

P.S. if you're gonna dump a run on sentence in its own panel with no background, it may as well have just been a tweet.

Eh. It's not Collins's best but he's usually better than this.

(and he has illustrated a few children's books, yes)

Fighting Trousers posted:

Nobody does tchotchkes like Wortman.

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

Dogs can see yellow and blue anyway, right?

I tend to be wary of huskies because it seems like half the time when some rear end in a top hat bullies my dog at the park, it's a husky or a Samoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

edit: completely goofed that last image

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 3, 2023