Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Hunt against the wasps has been the most annoying so far. Not difficult, but tedious because there are a bunch of them. And it's hard to do counter skills against them.

Speaking of counter skulls, the Titan one is so cool. They really nailed the feeling of counters in this. Feel so cool when some enemy attacks and I just parry it with my giant stone hand and then go all Kenshiro on the enemies.

Edit: lol nice, I totally guessed the location of this S-rank Hunt (first one I've gotten) correctly on the second try. Time to try this and hopefully not get owned.

Edit2: HOLY poo poo!!! I barely won! Had used all my health items and had a tiny sliver of health left, but managed to pull it off. That felt so good.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I really need to figure out a flow to my rotation. I just unlocked Titan and was not expecting what I got from his abilities. I need to gently caress around and see what I like because no matter what rotation I use, I feel like I'm tremendously awkward. I tend to be a bit of a button masher and that is not serving me well.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I am currently about to see Yoship and Koji in the flesh at a meet and greet event here in Malaysia in 35 mins which is cool.

Well, I didn't get a ticket to the event proper, so I'm just hanging out and watching the thing from outside. Maybe they'll be nice and let people watching from outside take photos with them or something.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Ytlaya posted:

The Hunt against the wasps has been the most annoying so far. Not difficult, but tedious because there are a bunch of them. And it's hard to do counter skills against them.

Speaking of counter skulls, the Titan one is so cool. They really nailed the feeling of counters in this. Feel so cool when some enemy attacks and I just parry it with my giant stone hand and then go all Kenshiro on the enemies.

Edit: lol nice, I totally guessed the location of this S-rank Hunt (first one I've gotten) correctly on the second try. Time to try this and hopefully not get owned.

Edit2: HOLY poo poo!!! I barely won! Had used all my health items and had a tiny sliver of health left, but managed to pull it off. That felt so good.

Grats! S rank hunts definitely my favorite fights in the game by a huge margin. All of them killed me at least once so they were always super exciting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: This game should let you romance Tarja instead of Jill

Failboattootoot posted:

Grats! S rank hunts definitely my favorite fights in the game by a huge margin. All of them killed me at least once so they were always super exciting.

I think the thing that helped was being (compared with other fights) cautious and waiting for him to attack, since you get punished much worse for mistakes against a strong enemy like that (since a single strong chain of attacks can knock out like 1/2 to 2/3 of your HP). I think I could probably win more safely if I tried again, since I took a lot more damage during the first half of the fight. In the second half I was just waiting for him to swing and trying to get off my counters.

Mordiceius posted:

I really need to figure out a flow to my rotation. I just unlocked Titan and was not expecting what I got from his abilities. I need to gently caress around and see what I like because no matter what rotation I use, I feel like I'm tremendously awkward. I tend to be a bit of a button masher and that is not serving me well.

I still haven't figured out how to make the Eikon abilities "flow together" (if that's even meaningfully possible); I just use them as they come up in appropriate ways (like if the Titan or Garuda counter ability come up, I'll wait for the next enemy attack and counter it).

Outside of using the Eikon abilities, I just sorta randomly choose between ground magic burst combos and air ones, with lunges to close gaps. Plus the Garuda Circle ability once they hit half stagger.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 1, 2023

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
How Dragoons jump so good

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well I got to be 15 meters away from Yoship and Koji, that was cool.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Game needs more hunts. They're all so drat fun. poo poo, I'd be up for DLC just for a Hunt expansion.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Solus posted:

If you look at the drop from I think the 3rd dragoon and read the description it will be partially explained.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Solus posted:

The lotion on their bodies reduces air resistance

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Solus posted:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
only about 5 hours into the game so far.
liking it. I totally skipped out on FF15 because I didn't get the vibe at all and the combat system bored me to tears and gave up on it very early.

This one is still pretty different in terms of final fantasy, but the presentation is very digestible, and I'm a bit more invested in finding out the world and lore. Everything feels very cinematic and epic in a fun way.

Only complaint is that the main characters designs all seem very bland, they look like they all got run thru a Create-a--Character engine rather than someone actually designing them specifically. Other than benedickta, who has a perfect bitch face.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did find it funny that everyone starts off in basically low level ARR armour

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Disappointing lack of subligars.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I sincerely fuckin hate the layout of the second hideaway I honestly can’t find poo poo ever here it’s so annoying. If the game had a HUD map it wouldn’t be as annoying but for some baffling reason they didn’t include one

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Joshua, wipe your mouth

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Im sincerely a lot less interested in this game since Cid died, just left such a gaping hole of personality and fun dialogue and nobody else seems likely to step up to fill in. Things have slowed to a crawl and it’s long periods of basically nothing happening and dinky side quests between actually getting to go do things. I was blown away by this game initially I hope I get into it again. :-/

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Even if side quests are dull, a 3/5 review score is insane.

A 3/5 review for this game is perfectly reasonable. Probably what I would give it if I was paid to review video games, at least post 5th eikon.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I bet Jote is so over bird metaphors right now. Joshua thinks he’s being poetic but it’s the only type of analogy he ever uses.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I'm in the gap leading up to the 5th, coming down off that 4th Eikon fight into chore city is rough.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

queeb posted:

Yeah I'm in the gap leading up to the 5th, coming down off that 4th Eikon fight into chore city is rough.

That's where I am too and it's quite the change in pace

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

That's where I am too and it's quite the change in pace

Get excited because it happens again after the 5th

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What counts when numbering Eikon fights? I'm not long after the five year timeskip and I don't know whether Eikon fight specifically means the fights against the eight Eikons or any fights where you play as Ifrit. Does the Ifrit vs Ifrit metaphorical fight count? Or the Typhon one?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just did the bomb king hunt and I've never gone from "heh I've got a handle on this" to "oh gently caress I absolutely don't" faster in my life

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

cubicle gangster posted:

That's the only time he's done it for me. Crabs, birds, bees, they're all fuckin losers according to Clive.

he punted a goddamn antelope once and I lost my poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I have finished the game. My final verdict is I still agree with that post that said this is a solid 7/10 game where every five hours you'll experience the coolest poo poo you've ever seen.

I wish Clive and Jill ever really grew on me, but they didn't. It's not that I disliked them, I thought they were fine, but they surrounded them with much more interesting characters in my opinion. Mid especially, I think Mid is great but she's in very little of the game. I wish she had been around for way more of the adventure. I thought the story was fine, too much slow/boring stuff in between the crazy stuff. And I'm not even talking about side quests, I think there's plenty of good stuff in the sidequests, I'm talking about the MSQ in between stuff. A lot of it felt like it was super dragging it's feet.

But then the boss fights are out of control nutso insane bananas and almost every single one is a great time. Frankly while the story didn't do a ton for me, the combat was absolutely awesome and never stopped being fun. I even had on the auto-dodge item the entire game and it never felt like it was making the game unfun by playing itself. There's actually a ton of attacks it doesn't work on, especially as you get near the end and against harder hunt monsters. Titan's gaurd move DOES seem to be block basically everything, but blocking doesn't allow the same level of freedom that dodging does. Almost every boss fight felt great, it was amazing going into a pack of like 15-20 mobs in the field and wiping them out with that one phoenix move, the Eikon fights were obviously incredible. I do have one issue with those which is that the Ultima fight, while still a very cool fight, is kind of brought down a bit because they do the Titan fight and the Bahamut fight back to back earlier in the game and the other fights never get that insane. Even the Ultima fight, which is still awesome and has a bunch of power of friendship stuff and all that, never hits the same highs as the Titan or Bahamut fights. I wish they had found a way for the Ultima fight to be a little more insane. Also I'm disappointed that Leviathan never became a thing. He's mentioned a single time by Joshua, "Leviathan the Lost". And then he's not brought up again the rest of the game. I really thought they were going to have him show up last minute but they never did. Also why is he lost? What's the deal there?

I'm also a bit confused about Clive's ability to take powers. When you do so to Benedikta, it's implied she can no longer do any of Garuda's magic. She tries to and can't. She does Prime into the form of Garuda, but that seemed more like a situation of losing control out of anger/grief. Same with Hugo. But then you take Jill's powers and she's still able to use ice magic. You take Dion's powers and he's still able to transform into Bahamut at will in a way that looks like you didn't take anything from him. I don't quite understand the rules there

TLDR: I though the game was good, not amazing, but the boss fights were crazy and awesome and the combat is extremely extremely fun.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Macaluso posted:

I'm also a bit confused about Clive's ability to take powers. When you do so to Benedikta, it's implied she can no longer do any of Garuda's magic. She tries to and can't. She does Prime into the form of Garuda, but that seemed more like a situation of losing control out of anger/grief. Same with Hugo. But then you take Jill's powers and she's still able to use ice magic. You take Dion's powers and he's still able to transform into Bahamut at will in a way that looks like you didn't take anything from him. I don't quite understand the rules there

I think it only temporarily seals their powers. Benedikta and Hugo both clearly have a panic attack about it. But Joshua can clearly still use his powers so it's not 'Clive got better at controlling it'. Tbf, I haven't gotten to the later examples, but I noticed Joshua immediately.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 1, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Macaluso posted:

TLDR: I though the game was good, not amazing, but the boss fights were crazy and awesome and the combat is extremely extremely fun.

My read on it is that it's Only an initial power drain, Benedikta and Hugo were still dominants of Garuda and Titan (which is why they were both able to transform into their respective Eikons), but they still needed to go through the process of re-unlocking their powers. We only see Jill and Dion out in the field after what is supposed to be a long period of rest for them, while Barnabas, Hugo, and Benedikta die pretty close after we sap them of their powers. I don't think the rules ever get defined, though.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

This is talked about in a lore entry. (ending spoilers included herein do not click if you haven't beat) Once Clive steals the Eikon, they still have their powers but priming becomes a huge risk. If you prime afterward, you lose control of the Eikon. So Benedikta and Hugo are running rampant when they prime post theft. They talk about this right before flying off to Origin with Dion too, but Dion had the "resolve" or whatever to not lose control.

Also I believe technically speaking, Clive had not stolen the Phoenix power right until Joshua died at the very end. Up until that point he was just using powers granted to him through that shieldbearer ritual. But during Joshua's death scene it definitely seemed to imply that Clive was finally absorbing the Phoenix for real there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

I think it only temporarily seals their powers. Benedikta and Hugo both clearly have a panic attack about it. But Joshua can clearly still use his powers so it's not 'Clive got better at controlling it'. Tbf, I haven't gotten to the later examples, but I noticed Joshua immediately.

There’s a difference there. Clive never took Joshua’s Phoenix powers—Joshua granted him a small amount of Phoenix power through a special ritual, unrelated to Clive’s Eikon stealing powers.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Through the Maelstrom Quest Spoiler: "CLIVE BESTED" *victory fanfare blares*

This game is rude as gently caress

Edit: oh these two have been loving for awhile

MechaX fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 1, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yo the entire soundtrack during the Bahamut was loving incredible. Easily the best part of the OST to me.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm clearly missing something with (5th ekion ability) Megaflare. It takes forever to charge up, I can't do anything but dodge while it's charging, and it seems to just do some crummy AoE damage that doesn't outweigh the casting time even a little. Also somebody upthread mentioned level 4 Megaflare but for me it caps out at level 2. Does Mastering it make that much of a difference? I was hoping this would be better than Ramuh's ability but I'm just not feeling it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Thundarr posted:

I'm clearly missing something with (5th ekion ability) Megaflare. It takes forever to charge up, I can't do anything but dodge while it's charging, and it seems to just do some crummy AoE damage that doesn't outweigh the casting time even a little. Also somebody upthread mentioned level 4 Megaflare but for me it caps out at level 2. Does Mastering it make that much of a difference? I was hoping this would be better than Ramuh's ability but I'm just not feeling it.

It makes a big difference and getting Precision dodges cause it to charge huge chunks, so you have to get in close and do some dodges

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Doing chronoliths I found you can also use Satellite to fire off magic while you're channeling the feat too.

Remember that you have a taunt and you can charge up pretty easily once you have a handle on it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There are certain abilities that get way better once you remember taunting exists solely as a means to reliably trigger them

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thundarr posted:

On top of what everyone else said: you use it for even more damage during a stagger. Firing off a full charge and then staggering an enemy will give you a great damage boost.

Also you can press triangle when looking at abilities to see what the upgrades do.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Namnesor posted:

I just did the bomb king hunt and I've never gone from "heh I've got a handle on this" to "oh gently caress I absolutely don't" faster in my life

This is the last time thing I did as well and I'm lucky that I had already did the bomb hunt so I knew some of the tricks at least

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I found that just staying away from bombs (in this case his add bombs) when they're going to explode can be safer than trying to finish them off. Even though I won without any trouble, I didn't like the bomb fight because it's moves were hard to figure out and dodge/counter.

I just got expanded potion capacity from a side quest. Could have used that during the first S-rank Hunt, though I guess I would have lost out on the thrill of barely winning if I had. I feel like the number of potions I have now is a bit overkill.

One gameplay comment - I wish that things like the AP bonus accessory went in some separate type of slot, because I'd like to mess around with the "reduced cooldown" accessories, but I only really have one free accessory slot after the AP one + Berserker Ring (this is non-negotiable, because I love being able to go partial-limit-break constantly).

(Very minor mechanical spoilers above)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

On top of what everyone else said: you use it for even more damage during a stagger. Firing off a full charge and then staggering an enemy will give you a great damage boost.

Also you can press triangle when looking at abilities to see what the upgrades do.

I... somehow made it 40 levels in without noticing the triangle button there. :negative:

At least that'll help me plan things out a bit better for what's left.