Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675187969420828672

Musk implemented READ limits for all accounts. 600 tweets/day for non-paying accounts.
I’m sure the few remaining advertisers will love this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I can't even read that tweet because I'm already restricted. :haw:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Elon Musk

@elonmusk
·
Follow
To address extreme levels of data scraping & system manipulation, we’ve applied the following temporary limits:

- Verified accounts are limited to reading 6000 posts/day
- Unverified accounts to 600 posts/day
- New unverified accounts to 300/day"

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

And nothing of value was lost.

At least, nothing that had any remaining value.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
This is actually a cover to dramatically reduce the server load because Twitter is starting to fall apart as deferred maintenance costs pile up.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is like Bizarro Something Awful, remember how once in a while some of the forums would be registered-only? I think some of them are permanently that way, too.

I thought it was only the warez forums that were registered-only? At least, that's why I signed up almost 20 years ago (jesus).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Seph posted:

I thought it was only the warez forums that were registered-only? At least, that's why I signed up almost 20 years ago (jesus).

Pretty sure SA mart is private, as is the appropriately named Private Games Servers in Games.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Well this loving sucks :smith:

After the great nsfw purge on Tumblr a lot of artists I followed there went to Twitter, and so I started using Twitter as a makeshift fanart site

Where the gently caress am I supposed to go now? Instagram???

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 1, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He’s like the Zaslav of social media.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Wait he's limiting activity for *not enough sarcastic quotes in the universe* "verified" accounts as well? Why the gently caress would anyone advertise on a site where no one can see your ads lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Doctor Teeth posted:

Wait he's limiting activity for *not enough sarcastic quotes in the universe* "verified" accounts as well? Why the gently caress would anyone advertise on a site where no one can see your ads lmao

I mean the ads that are currently still there are from dumb trashy knock off product makers and literal scam artists. Pretty soon Twitter will be completely ad free!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So it sounds like this is all because he put up the login wall and it’s causing the site to freak out

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: to put it another way, there is a survivorship bias here. Those of us who are still around are not the giant shitheads that came before. It would be unwise to take the current culture back 15 years and assume it was like that then. You would have to factor in all the people that got banned in that span.
I'd like mention there was a relatively recent example of this: The Lowtax Memorial thread. A lot of people who hadn't posted in 10-15 years came back and it wasn't good.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Sorry Purina, I'd have seen that ad for the perfect dog food for my dog but the last post I'm allowed to see today was tobi.eth posting "there is diarrhea shooting out of my penis". Better luck tomorrow!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Amateur hour, indeed.

Stop poking fingers in the machinery, Elon.

quote:

Das Komputermaschine ist nicht für der Gefingerpoken

SgtSteel91 posted:

:sparkles: TikTok!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd like mention there was a relatively recent example of this: The Lowtax Memorial thread. A lot of people who hadn't posted in 10-15 years came back and it wasn't good.

that's my secret cap, i never stop posting

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh. musk likes making up bullshits metrics, but I kinda do wonder what my (sa) read-posts is per day. and how musk/birdshit would even count it. is just seeing the pixel of a post during a rapid screen scroll count? what about an afk tab? what about seeing birdposts on a dead fourm?

also lol at ancient message boards having the more correct anti spammer method of "new accounts have x posts / day" thing.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

It is very funny that Woj just keeps posting NBA free agency news throughout all of this though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tuxedo Gin posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675187969420828672

Musk implemented READ limits for all accounts. 600 tweets/day for non-paying accounts.

READ limits? Not POST limits?

I've... not heard of a social media website do that before.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Teeth posted:

I mean, you have to hand it to him*, it does totally eliminate scraping. It’s just that no one else does it this way because achieving total freedom from scraping has other significant costs and tradeoffs and it’s usually better overall to tolerate scraping, which twitter is now rapidly discovering

*you do not under any circumstances etc etc

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

haveblue posted:

I mean, you have to hand it to him*, it does totally eliminate scraping. It’s just that no one else does it this way because achieving total freedom from scraping has other significant costs and tradeoffs and it’s usually better overall to tolerate scraping, which twitter is now rapidly discovering

*you do not under any circumstances etc etc

Usually the better solution is provide a cheap/free api with reasonable usage limits people can use to access your platform. This cuts out the vast majority of potential scrapers and loops them into a much more bandwidth and computationally cheap faucet. Then you can take more forceful tacts against people who scrape large amounts of data like banning those ip's without risking banning large portions of your userbase.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

READ limits? Not POST limits?

I've... not heard of a social media website do that before.

Don't worry, he has listened to the feedback:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1675214274627530754

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

FlamingLiberal posted:

So it sounds like this is all because he put up the login wall and it’s causing the site to freak out

it seems to me that musk and co tried to do something on the backend that caused the entire site to brick itself and the "policy" released on musk's twitter is an attempt to cover for this technical glitch while they try to diagnose and fix the issue. this seems especially likely given that the "limit" came out of nowhere (with musk only tweeting about it hours later) and there seems to be no carve-outs for, say, emergency and AMBER alerts, for which elon could get a lot of trouble in for limiting access to

moreover, while i can't speak for anyone else but despite being over the "read limit," im still getting new tweets, just very, very slowly with an occasional message that i've "hit my rate limit"

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 1, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been sticking around Twitter because there's a lot of scientists, scholars and artists still on there who have (for good reasons) been reluctant to switch to alternatives. I've been on Mastodon since the initial panic and it's not bad. I won't touch Bluesky because Jack is scum and everything he touches should be considered poison.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sure the few remaining advertisers will love this!
Not to play Elon’s advocate, but advertisers would probably be okay with this. Bots inflate ad view rate and get advertisers less bang for their buck. It doesn’t seem like many people will reasonably hit these limits, anyway.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i hit the "rate limit" after about 5 minutes of browsing this morning.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I think there's more to it because for me browser is hosed but the app is fine. And Tweetdeck is fine until it redirects me to browser when it breaks again.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Szmitten posted:

I think there's more to it because for me browser is hosed but the app is fine. And Tweetdeck is fine until it redirects me to browser when it breaks again.

It's a skeleton crew of engineers being forced to make drastic changes on very short notice with no time to plan or test. It's impressive that the rate limits even work at all.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

After the great nsfw purge on Tumblr a lot of artists I followed there went to Twitter, and so I started using Twitter as a makeshift fanart site

We may be heading toward a world in which social media just kind of... dies, in general, as a concept.

And honestly? I'm here for it. Stake the vampire once for all, dumbass techbros.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been sticking around Twitter because there's a lot of scientists, scholars and artists still on there who have (for good reasons) been reluctant to switch to alternatives. I've been on Mastodon since the initial panic and it's not bad. I won't touch Bluesky because Jack is scum and everything he touches should be considered poison.

I'm happy to support Bluesky for now, not for the sake of Jack or because I actually want a short-form social media platform, but because its existence dilutes the pool and brings the internet closer to the critical mass where people just go "I can't be bothered with all these competing platforms" and stop using the sites altogether.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This almost certainly also has something to do with the site’s issues

https://vxtwitter.com/qorigins/status/1675211520651984899?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Before I was just like I'll focus most of my time on the fluffy elephant and just use my twitter more occasionally as I slowly reduce who I follow. Now, I might just 100% delete it as it's completely unusable and just use the fluffy elephant and plurk~

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

This almost certainly also has something to do with the site’s issues

https://vxtwitter.com/qorigins/status/1675211520651984899?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I mean, yeah, if your lights go out after you refuse to pay your power bill those things are usually connected.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Twitter is only functional via TweetDeck for me currently. Literally broken otherwise. Problematic since I want to see [artist event] news and [sporting event] news.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What is fluffy elephant?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mastodon. I assume people are using a euphemism because it was briefly censored on Twitter.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a cohort on Twitter that loathes Mastodon because its culture isn't full of angry leftist shitposting, calling it niceposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

maybe they will go back to DeviantArt , or discord(this is still the gated garden problem), or whatever.