Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really glad I didn't buy Lightfall and just the 30th anniversary pack to get back into things tbh

The price is absurd to keep playing now

it's pretty on sale right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

syntaxfunction posted:

Bungie: announces that they want to become a multi-game studio. Later they announce Marathon.
Community: ah see Destiny is dead because they only work on one game at a time.

Also it's weird seeing people post about "skeleton crew devs" because citation needed? There's a lot of stuff being added to the game all the time, just because it doesn't hit your specific tastes doesn't mean no one is making content.

I see the fascination people have because vendors haven't gotten new armour sets in a while and I don't really understand why that is such a fixation. Like, yeah, new world pool transmogs are nice, but eh? It's not like anyone ever buys the armour after they unlock the transmogs.

Given traditional AAA development timelines there is a 0.0% chance Marathon wasn't being worked on by the studio alongside Destiny and whatever their mystery third title is. Bungie hasn't been working on one game for years, they're just not announcing that fact publicly until, well, just now I guess.

And yeah, the one complaint I have never, ever understood getting as much traction as it does is there being no refresh of the core activity vendor sets this year. They are adding two raid sets, two dungeon sets, four seasonal sets and four seasonal ornament sets every year and somehow the idea that they're not adding yet another strike-cru-gambit set is a capital-B Betrayal of the playerbase. Who even remotely gives a poo poo.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Meiteron posted:

Given traditional AAA development timelines there is a 0.0% chance Marathon wasn't being worked on by the studio alongside Destiny and whatever their mystery third title is. Bungie hasn't been working on one game for years, they're just not announcing that fact publicly until, well, just now I guess.

And yeah, the one complaint I have never, ever understood getting as much traction as it does is there being no refresh of the core activity vendor sets this year. They are adding two raid sets, two dungeon sets, four seasonal sets and four seasonal ornament sets every year and somehow the idea that they're not adding yet another strike-cru-gambit set is a capital-B Betrayal of the playerbase. Who even remotely gives a poo poo.
We get actual farming for specific rolls of nightfall guns using the vanguard engrams, and can pull anything you want from the vendor-specific pool with engrams. There's a vendor-specific pool, even, we didn't even have that a year ago! That's a vast improvement over just hoping you get a thing.

I feel that a lot of the complaints are just dogpiling on the flavor of the week brand of negativity. You see a clip of cheaters still in the game, and start seeing people post about how Bungie doesn't care anymore, all their PvP related staff left to work on Marathon, etc, and they start reminiscing about the good old days of 30th Anniversary Edition meta, back when they only had the in-house anticheat that didn't stop poo poo. The instability affects us one day out of 2-3 weeks for notable improvements in overall stability of the game in general, and people complain about that marginal downtime, completely forgetting the shitshow that the game used to be on major launches such as Beyond Light. There's a bingo card of various things to bitch about in Destiny 2, and it's a cycle between them almost on repeat with the content creation fucks, usually after the shine of the new season has worn off and the only way to create the traffic is through drama farming.

The game isn't perfect, but it's serviceable.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Destiny is fun enough. But I terminally suck at the game and find a lot of the higher level stuff unfun. Like this week's pinnacle mission on Neomuna--getting constantly shoved off of ledges is the opposite of fun.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

smallmouth posted:

Destiny is fun enough. But I terminally suck at the game and find a lot of the higher level stuff unfun. Like this week's pinnacle mission on Neomuna--getting constantly shoved off of ledges is the opposite of fun.

Have you done the raids/dungeons? Those are fun without the frustration of Sam knocking you off the platforms.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smallmouth posted:

I've been playing Destiny since the PS3 beta and I think that's one of the stupidest things in the history of the game. Like, it's on purpose, the idea is that you're supposed to get annoyed with Sam for constantly loving things up, but the joke drags on for way too long.

Also, it doesn't go nearly far enough. Ghost, like, barely chastises him twice. If he's gonna be bouncing me all over the loving place while I'm trying to fight champions, Osiris should be getting on comms and calling him a braindead malcontent or something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
are the people who constantly run into cheaters only playing trials or comp

I dunno this is one where I feel like i'm playing a different game. I think I can count the number of outright visible cheaters I've seen on one hand, across the whole series' lifespan, playing pvp every week.

but I just do control usually, but even when I dip my toes into trials still no cheaters

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mazerunner posted:

I dunno this is one where I feel like i'm playing a different game. I think I can count the number of outright visible cheaters I've seen on one hand, across the whole series' lifespan, playing pvp every week.

but I just do control usually, but even when I dip my toes into trials still no cheaters

I ran into my first absolutely 100% definitely cheater (as in floating around the map doing infinite damage) a couple days ago in Rumble. I assume most of the people bitching about it are running into them in Trials because that's the mode that actually has stakes and you're only gonna be seeing them regularly if you play Trials like it's your job.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

MJeff posted:

I ran into my first absolutely 100% definitely cheater (as in floating around the map doing infinite damage) a couple days ago in Rumble. I assume most of the people bitching about it are running into them in Trials because that's the mode that actually has stakes and you're only gonna be seeing them regularly if you play Trials like it's your job.

yeah although actually I do think there's probably more cheaters at the lower skill brackets (or like the new/lapsed player purgatory bucket until they get you sorted) cause the blatant cheaters do get caught, they just make a new account

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Yakattak posted:

Have you done the raids/dungeons? Those are fun without the frustration of Sam knocking you off the platforms.

I haven't done any yet, but eventually I'd like to try some. I do Nightfalls, and most of those are ok.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Mazerunner posted:

yeah although actually I do think there's probably more cheaters at the lower skill brackets

Huh, that kind of makes sense from my experience. I also have run into maybe 3 blatant cheaters in my time, but I also think I am in a weird midrange bracket. Softer and more restrained cheats are harder for me to identify because it's comparable to accidentally getting matched against a top percenter which definitely does happen.

Not to say it isn't a problem. My goondolences to my Trials and Comp playing compatriots. May your cheaters be banned mid match and your opponents be just below your skill level.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mazerunner posted:

I've ran into more in trials for sure, some in ib, fewer in regular. The most ridiculous ones were all in trials though, so I guess that's makes sense tbh.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sestze posted:

We get actual farming for specific rolls of nightfall guns using the vanguard engrams, and can pull anything you want from the vendor-specific pool with engrams. There's a vendor-specific pool, even, we didn't even have that a year ago! That's a vast improvement over just hoping you get a thing.

I feel that a lot of the complaints are just dogpiling on the flavor of the week brand of negativity. You see a clip of cheaters still in the game, and start seeing people post about how Bungie doesn't care anymore, all their PvP related staff left to work on Marathon, etc, and they start reminiscing about the good old days of 30th Anniversary Edition meta, back when they only had the in-house anticheat that didn't stop poo poo. The instability affects us one day out of 2-3 weeks for notable improvements in overall stability of the game in general, and people complain about that marginal downtime, completely forgetting the shitshow that the game used to be on major launches such as Beyond Light. There's a bingo card of various things to bitch about in Destiny 2, and it's a cycle between them almost on repeat with the content creation fucks, usually after the shine of the new season has worn off and the only way to create the traffic is through drama farming.

The game isn't perfect, but it's serviceable.

Battleye launched with Season of the Lost three months before 30th Anniversary, the game has seen multi-hour downtimes multiple times a week recently, and Destiny typically has very smooth launches.

I feel like there has to be a happy medium between “this game is hosed and we should be ashamed of playing it” and this weird-rear end thing this thread is doing now of “the game has zero problems whatsoever and gently caress you for remembering promises Bungie made themselves.” I’m not trying to talk anyone into hating the game unless you’re insane but I also remember periods where I didn’t have to roll the dice and if I got snake eyes then the servers would be down that day. There are several significant ways this game is behind the pack in the MMO genre and pointing that out doesn’t instantly make you influencer trash or whatever the gently caress, especially for a game that’s gotten exponentially more expensive as time has gone on.

You really do not have to treat Bungie with kid gloves. They got bought by Sony for $3.6 BILLION dollars. I could understand making a lot of excuses when they were independent, I did myself too, but now they’re owned by one of the three major console manufacturers and have their nigh-unlimited resources at hand.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’ve never paid more than $80 for a full year of this game.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mazerunner posted:

I mean, remember that for every time you hit the obvious rage cheater just trolling the game until the account got banned, you didn’t see the dozen who were cheating subtly and trying to pass through, just raising their headshot percentage 20 points or whatever.

The toxic, racial slur username shrieking 13 year old ‘owning all the n00bs’ is the tip of the iceberg, and can just like the tip of the iceberg, can be used coarsely to predict the actual size of said iceberg.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The problem I have with this thread often is that people are not talking to Bungie, yet they talk to everyone else as if they were. Or at least as if Bungie (whoever that is, because there are hundreds of people that make the game, corporations ain't people!) were listening.

There's a huge difference between "this thing is broken for these reasons and that sucks" and "this thing is broken you fucker, how dare you", and reading the latter all the time is miserable.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Truspeaker posted:

The problem I have with this thread often is that people are not talking to Bungie, yet they talk to everyone else as if they were. Or at least as if Bungie (whoever that is, because there are hundreds of people that make the game, corporations ain't people!) were listening.

There's a huge difference between "this thing is broken for these reasons and that sucks" and "this thing is broken you fucker, how dare you", and reading the latter all the time is miserable.

And if there were a party, say, some imaginary group of humans, who had capability, rationale & motive to fix these issues, or event attempt to do so, such as, I dunno, being paid millions of dollars, do you think it would be reasonable for some ire to be directed their way?

Come on, you're so close.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Shockeh posted:

And if there were a party, say, some imaginary group of humans, who had capability, rationale & motive to fix these issues, or event attempt to do so, such as, I dunno, being paid millions of dollars, do you think it would be reasonable for some ire to be directed their way?

Come on, you're so close.

Are these people reading/posting in this thread?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Are these people reading/posting in this thread?
Well, if you're going down that hole, we best just shut the forums, because discussion in general is irrelevant. Why even have them? NIHILISM FOR EVERYONE.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Shockeh posted:

Well, if you're going down that hole, we best just shut the forums, because discussion in general is irrelevant. Why even have them? NIHILISM FOR EVERYONE.

There are things about the game to discuss besides the same complaints over and over again as if anyone here can do anything about them. Take that poo poo to the Bungie forums or r/dtg.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

There are things about the game to discuss besides the same complaints over and over again as if anyone here can do anything about them. Take that poo poo to the Bungie forums or r/dtg.

Uh, no.

(I'm not even doing it, but, no.)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I mean, remember that for every time you hit the obvious rage cheater just trolling the game until the account got banned, you didn’t see the dozen who were cheating subtly and trying to pass through, just raising their headshot percentage 20 points or whatever.

The toxic, racial slur username shrieking 13 year old ‘owning all the n00bs’ is the tip of the iceberg, and can just like the tip of the iceberg, can be used coarsely to predict the actual size of said iceberg.

yeah, but the actual discourse lately has not been "I feel like I've encountered the subtle indications of someone aimbotting/wall-hacking more often lately" but "I have encountered people flying around with infinite gjallarhorn/supers all the time lately"

I mean I saw a vid from... someone? a pvp bigshot who got shreked in the final game of a flawless trials by someone blatantly cheating, so I know it happens-

but I'm simply curious how people wind up having such wildly different experiences. Some people are saying that blatant cheating is running rampant. I haven't seen a blatant cheater in years, despite playing pretty consistently.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

probably goes without saying but some of it is definitely platform stuff, because as someone in the console pool I never suffer any Crucible deaths I haven’t earned.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
The real bungie are the thread posters we haven't agreed with all along.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm doing some grinding on Aphelion's Rest. I have a few observations based on my time here.

1) It took a shitton of grinding, but getting to 1825 makes these so much less stressful. Although I think Aphelion's is just an easy lost sector in general.
2) lmao Fallen Sunstar
3) lmao Thunderlord
4) lmao Riptide
5) These are really good for farming Enhancement Prisms if you don't wanna bother doing team activities. Guaranteed at least 1, sometimes 2, and I've got it down to 1:45.

editor
Feb 4, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

but I'm simply curious how people wind up having such wildly different experiences. Some people are saying that blatant cheating is running rampant. I haven't seen a blatant cheater in years, despite playing pretty consistently.

what platform are you on and modes are you playing? comp and 6s are sbmm so depending on where you fall there you might not run into them. they are pretty prevalent in trials if you duo- or 3-stack

pc also gets the double whammy of both hardware and software cheaters

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

editor posted:

pc also gets the double whammy of both hardware and software cheaters

I too use a controller on PC

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

victrix posted:

There are people who use XIMs on PC.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

victrix posted:

I will always use a controller and imo expecting me to learn how to walk with a keyboard is cancel culture.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

I will always use a controller and imo expecting me to learn how to walk with a keyboard is cancel culture.

why are you afraid of the letter w

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Lmao. Guffaw, even

https://twitter.com/BungieHelp/status/1675613914493784064?t=WEuXqWWHTIn9PVJlA85dBQ&s=19

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

all we need now are BABOON and COW and you've got yourself a classic cartoon

which for some reason also had another, smaller cartoon inside of it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lmao, lol.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Pirate Jet posted:

Battleye launched with Season of the Lost three months before 30th Anniversary, the game has seen multi-hour downtimes multiple times a week recently, and Destiny typically has very smooth launches.

I feel like there has to be a happy medium between “this game is hosed and we should be ashamed of playing it” and this weird-rear end thing this thread is doing now of “the game has zero problems whatsoever and gently caress you for remembering promises Bungie made themselves.” I’m not trying to talk anyone into hating the game unless you’re insane but I also remember periods where I didn’t have to roll the dice and if I got snake eyes then the servers would be down that day. There are several significant ways this game is behind the pack in the MMO genre and pointing that out doesn’t instantly make you influencer trash or whatever the gently caress, especially for a game that’s gotten exponentially more expensive as time has gone on.

You really do not have to treat Bungie with kid gloves. They got bought by Sony for $3.6 BILLION dollars. I could understand making a lot of excuses when they were independent, I did myself too, but now they’re owned by one of the three major console manufacturers and have their nigh-unlimited resources at hand.
drat, my timeline is off. Thank you for the correction.

The occasional downtime is a cost of trying to fix poo poo that's broken. Does raw deterioration from a digital perspective make any sense? It isn't like the foundational code gets worse and worse over time the more you use it, I don't think it obeys the same laws of entropy as, say, a physical object would. If things are breaking, it's because feature adjustments to the game itself on a seasonal basis, as well as adjustments to the backend systems to handle that load are constantly warring with one another. The downtime isn't a symptom of Bungie not giving a poo poo, it's showing that their hair is on fire trying to fix the problems we're encountering.

Money doesn't solve problems, there's a time and expertise function associated with it. I give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their intentions for the game. I doubt Bungie devs are keen on having cheaters or error codes impacting the game.

However, constantly being fed a stream of negativity that assumes the worst about the devs is just painful negative clutter in the thread. What benefit to discussion does that negativity bring? We can't fix it, only commiserate, and it makes the tone of the thread pretty bad. Just makes people who aren't interested in that kind of negativity stop participating in the thread, making it a black hole of crap that feeds itself.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I love this game

https://twitter.com/destinytrack/status/1675618476340199436

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

I was just pickin. They have a pretty good turnaround when the servers go down.

Hey remember that time like 10 years ago when PSN was down for an entire month? That was wild

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kith posted:

all we need now are BABOON and COW and you've got yourself a classic cartoon

which for some reason also had another, smaller cartoon inside of it

Playing destiny 2 in eternal fear of error REDGUY

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Can't wait for TERRIBLE THUNDERLIZARDS error code.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm glad we got subclass reworks, modified exotic interactions, the addition of subclass specific mcGuffins, the armor charge/orbs of power rework and I'm ok with them shipping all this cool hot poo poo even though it makes their Claims service choke and die occasionally. If thats the trade off I'm fine with it and I'm glad they didn't not ship or kill in dev any of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Please stop making fun of this game.