Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

emSparkly posted:

I only keep a twitter account around because it lets me auto post stuff from my Switch, but now I'm gonna have to actually remove the SD card every time I wanna share a 30 second clip of some entertaining physics bug I run into. Cool beans.

Something I just learned recently, if you can plug it into you computer (I have a USB to USB-C cable that came with my phone) then in System Settings --> Manage Screenshots and Videos is a setting to transfer to computer via USB connection, right at the bottom. Click that and it will let your computer access the screenshots like it's an external drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also, it's apparently hitting the mainstream media now: apparently at least one British evening news show had a rather mocking report on the situation. And we're like, a few hours tops from east coast evening news time.

Meanwhile I'm still wondering about how crippled Musk is at his own access to Twitter apparently being limited, which I believe he tried to tweet about earlier.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

sounds like dril is leaving Twitter

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

E the Shaggy posted:

She was hired to get advertisers back but has no real power. Gonna be great to see her try to work with this poo poo.

"There's a definite possibility that your ad will be seen for the ten minutes per day that our users are allowed to read Tweets!"

lol Yaccarino isn't allowed to talk to advertisers per her contract with NBC

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

He say where he's going?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Moai Ou posted:

Yaccsaroo!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Chief McHeath posted:

dead catturd bounce

Steadiman posted:

Yaccarinooooooooooo, we lost the Turd!

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 1, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kazil posted:

lol Yaccarino isn't allowed to talk to advertisers per her contract with NBC

:lol:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

E the Shaggy posted:

He say where he's going?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1675243894165106688

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
It's pretty baffling that even if this is a cover, his response is "no, I'm not going to tell the world that we're having a massive unexpected issue, I'm going to tell the world that it is a totally-intentional terrible decision and I am wrecking the site on purpose."

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

AlmightyBob posted:

E the Shaggy posted:

He say where he's going?

I feel like dril is gonna be the account that really draws people from Twitter once he moves. There's a few options I guess but are any of them capable of handling the massive influx of users he'd cause?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
that's probably fine

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

She was hired to get advertisers back but has no real power. Gonna be great to see her try to work with this poo poo.

"There's a definite possibility that your ad will be seen for the ten minutes per day that our users are allowed to read Tweets!"

Anyone who has an ad campaign running right now is going to be demanding money back which is the funniest poo poo.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

since twitter is unusable--

quote:

https://linktr.ee/drilreal i will probably post on one of these sites instead of this one pretty soon so Please follow my poo poo.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Barudak posted:

Anyone who has an ad campaign running right now is going to be demanding money back which is the funniest poo poo.

It's very funny watch wrassling right now and seeing them constantly referring to Twitter even though no one can access it.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Barudak posted:

we're gonna find out "elon musk" is rhodesian for "advertiser beware" or some poo poo

The Odd One
Dec 5, 2011

Stpuid
I find it strange how suddenly he blurts out new rules like this that set the site on fire for no good reason. Terminal impulsiveness.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Polygynous posted:

that's probably fine

600 posts a day not great not terrible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Infinitum posted:

You mean the figurehead female CEO who solely exists to be thrown under the bus and shoulder the blame?

CEOs only fail up. She'll be ok.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Polygynous posted:

that's probably fine

We gave Elon a slider
Then we said "don't adjust the slider"
The Elon adjusted the slider

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

CEOs only fail up. She'll be ok.

She'll probably somehow walk away with even more money while the 7 other people working there get screwed over.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fatherboxx posted:

600 posts a day not great not terrible

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

People in the next room are watching NASCAR in Chicago and talking about how great Elon Musk is, meanwhile I'm in here watching him tripping around the Twitter server room like Mr. Bean setting off explosions wherever he touches metal

There's just this total disconnect in our world
it feels like a lovely dream like I can't move my limbs at normal rate

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Well, I can see news sites and weather updates again but i feel like having to say "we turned emergency alert systems back on" is not something you want to hear in 2023

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

OneEightHundred posted:

It's pretty baffling that even if this is a cover, his response is "no, I'm not going to tell the world that we're having a massive unexpected issue, I'm going to tell the world that it is a totally-intentional terrible decision and I am wrecking the site on purpose."

I don't know when it happened, maybe they've always been like this, but at some point chuds decided they can never ever allow themselves to be perceived as a loser in any circumstance. Everything is either actually good and anything claiming otherwise is FAKE NEWS or the thing, whatever it is, is deviously bad because (((THEY))) rigged it, or what have you.

Try and imagine literally any billion-dollar-level corporation acting like this. Imagine, if after the great Mexico Gulf disaster, BP's big PR-campaign afterwards was "ACTUALLY THE OIL IS A NATURAL SUBSTANCE SO THE OCEAN IS FINE NOTHING IS WRONG YOU ARE WRONG".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The Twitter's dyin', on the cloud!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1675216134935572482

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No poo poo smeared on everything
0/10

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

maybe a truce with the scrapers is possible?

perhaps there is a way to offer the data they are after in a more efficient format that can be served separately from the way normal users access the site. that way the servers would not need to worry about serving up all the UI elements, javascript, ads, metrics, and tracking stuff, not to mention the feed algorithm could be much simpler.

has anyone thought of this? providing some kind of programming interface that is separate from the main product for other applications?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

BigglesSWE posted:

I don't know when it happened, maybe they've always been like this, but at some point chuds decided they can never ever allow themselves to be perceived as a loser in any circumstance. Everything is either actually good and anything claiming otherwise is FAKE NEWS or the thing, whatever it is, is deviously bad because (((THEY))) rigged it, or what have you.

Try and imagine literally any billion-dollar-level corporation acting like this. Imagine, if after the great Mexico Gulf disaster, BP's big PR-campaign afterwards was "ACTUALLY THE OIL IS A NATURAL SUBSTANCE SO THE OCEAN IS FINE NOTHING IS WRONG YOU ARE WRONG".
This case has been pretty different because it's Elon is just like "haha look at all these people that think this site is anything other than my toy to play with."

It's like he flat-out just does not care about it being a functional company in any way and is totally happy to see $44 bil go up in smoke just as a flex of what a big powerful bag of money he is.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I think the fact that embeds are still working here all but confirms that Elon is lurking

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Someone take Elon’s money away, he’s terrible with it

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

This case has been pretty different because it's Elon is just like "haha look at all these people that think this site is anything other than my toy to play with."

It's like he flat-out just does not care about it being a functional company in any way and is totally happy to see $44 bil go up in smoke just as a flex of what a big powerful bag of money he is.

Is the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia going to take a stake in Tesla, or SpaceX, I wonder?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

OneEightHundred posted:

Counterpoint: He's irrecoverably self-minimized

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Timeline seems totally gone for me. Haven't seen anything new load in hours. But it's nice that he's posting this to some audience.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Who had July '23 for their dead pool?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

We gave Elon a slider
Then we said "don't adjust the slider"
Then Elon adjusted the slider

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023
Whoever said that there isn't a rate limit and the website is just making GBS threads itself is probably correct. The rate limit is just a justification for poo poo being broken and they keep upping the number to make people think they're getting more views whenever it accidentally works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I don't envy whoever has to explain this nonsense to the Pope to explain why his Twitter messages aren't reaching the faithful.

EDIT:

QuoProQuid posted:

JC, Twitter’s going... The platform’s going black! JC! No more hyperlinks, tweets of any kind. We'll start again, live in forums... If you receive this, if you survive... Then find us. FIND US!

Hahaha, this is cracking me up.

Quick, someone bribe Elon by offering him Europe!

William Bear fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 1, 2023