Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Confusingly, the "Jing" in "Jing Yuan" is not the same "Jing" as the "Jing" in "Jingliu". And I guess the "Jing" in "Jing Yuan" is probably his surname anyway. Because the convention seems to be that the game calls Xianzhou characters with single-syllable given names by their full name, and characters with two-syllable given names by just their given name. Maybe.

If that's the case, Dan Heng and Dan Shu are probably related, because that is the same "Dan".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Is Dan Heng even Dan Heng? We know he's from the Xianzhou and was convicted(?) of a crime, but there was no record of anyone with that name in the Alliance. If I'm remembering that part of the story correctly.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Oh, it could be a pseudonym, yeah. In which case, it's probably meaningful that he chose that surname specifically.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have Tingyun now, thanks Starlight shop. :toot: Please enjoy this complimentary SI2 Dance! Dance! Dance! and gold quality Vonwaq energy regen rope.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I will say, I absolutely went through the story presuming Dan Shu was related to Dan Heng and expecting that'd get paid off eventually

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

As much as I like the goofy texts with sampo and herta, i honestly like the serious ones more. Bronya with her uncertainty about being thrust into supreme guardianship, Yukong talking about her kid etc. I really like the bits of humanization of these characters.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Not sure about the terminology being used here and I loving hate this platforms intrusive ads that pop out and fill half the page and the layout in general, but that's a bit of an interesting statistic that apparently Mihoyo clean sweeped the top 3 slots for site traffic on the LGBT subject during Pride month. I didn't even think that many people were aware of Bronya and Seele even with the boost that Star Rail gave to general public awareness of their existence.

Despite the CCP trying to kibosh things it looks like Hoyoverse really has built a bit of a reputation for being open minded if not downright friendly to the LGBT community.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, they stream as the vtubers Cy Yu and Monarch respectively, and collab together regularly. Here's a video Cy Yu put up yesterday of their It Takes Two collab: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byr7FfmCm7k

Okay so obviously the casting wasn't coincidental and they're playing into their previously established relationship with who they got to voice these particular characters. I honestly thought only the Japanese voice acting scene did that sort of thing.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Garrand posted:

As much as I like the goofy texts with sampo and herta, i honestly like the serious ones more. Bronya with her uncertainty about being thrust into supreme guardianship, Yukong talking about her kid etc. I really like the bits of humanization of these characters.

I actually find the humorous and banal ones more humanizing, similarly to how I find the goofy sidequest writing more compelling than the Marvel-MCU-level of writing for most of the MSQ. But I'm glad it has both styles so that everyone can have something they like

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Oh wow, I just did an echo of war on cocolia and I got river flow in the spring LC as a drop. Just wanted to tell this because it turns out that it is totally possible for those to drop.

Although since I've been playing since release I suppose the drop rate is awfully low

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
top 5 queer on fandom during pride month:
1. Kafka (Star Rail)
2. Margaret and Selina (Affinity)
3. Tom and Gregg (Succession)
4. Marcille and Fallin (Dungeon Meshi)
5. Stewie the gay baby from family guy

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Just got https://honkai.gg/lightcones/sleep-like-the-dead from the standard banner. I'm using Seele, Sushang, and Yanqing pretty heavily for MoC as my dps.

Currently I have:
Seele - https://honkai.gg/lightcones/cruising-in-the-stellar-sea S5
Yanqing - https://honkai.gg/lightcones/river-flows-in-spring S1
Sushang - https://honkai.gg/lightcones/only-silence-remains S3

Assuming they're all invested equally, and the light cones are 80/80, how would you juggle these 4 light cones for these 3 hunt characters optimally?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Seele gets Cruising, Yanqing gets sleep like the dead, Sushang gets river.

Batui
Mar 13, 2005

Sleep like the Dead is rather underrated, apparently it can trigger during the attack if it's a multi-hit attack (which most Hunt attacks are). So if it's a 3 hit attack and the first doesn't crit, the other two hits will get the boosted crit %, as well the character's entire next turn. So the more hits the character's attacks do, the better (so don't use it on Dan Heng).

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Why not use it on Dan? His skill is a 3 hit.

River is kind of crap. Give Sleep to Yanqing and keep the others as they are.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Without spoiling anything of course, I feel like this new boss they're going to be introducing in 1.2 and that has been going around in some leaked beta footage is going to be a bit of a topic on ye olde internet. Just a hunch. The topical content is coming again for Hoyoverse stuff in July in general, I can feel it. It might not be your typical gacha summer event stuff, but it's probably not going to be as quiet as May/June has felt.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

As long as it's not another stupid deer

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Kale posted:

Without spoiling anything of course, I feel like this new boss they're going to be introducing in 1.2 and that has been going around in some leaked beta footage is going to be a bit of a topic on ye olde internet. Just a hunch. The topical content is coming again for Hoyoverse stuff in July in general, I can feel it. It might not be your typical gacha summer event stuff, but it's probably not going to be as quiet as May/June has felt.

I'm gonna need you to clarify exactly why you think people will be talking about this to determine how annoying this post is.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

Kinda hard to discuss this without more spoilers but I have no idea what's so controversial about the boss outside of boobs but that's not even very controversial unless you live in Florida or whatever

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The whole reason people didn't want upcoming story spoilers in the thread inside spoiler tags was to avoid people hinting around them outside tags, so please don't.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Kale posted:

Without spoiling anything of course

this is even more annoying than just posting the drat spoilers

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

big cummers ONLY posted:

That's awesome, but I think there was someone going even more extreme and not even pulling on the account (except the required pull for Asta)

I found a couple of videos from people who started a no pulls account but I haven't seen any follow up videos from anyone.

This one seems to be the most in depth of the ones I've seen: https://youtu.be/H4Jb-yd7CSo

It's a pretty interesting challenge. We actually get 7 characters for free right now and an eighth next month, so it may be possible to eventually clear all content with only free characters.

We get 4 hard DPS in Dan, Trailblazer, Herta and Serval. Everyone gets Serval for free. On a second look she appears in your mailbox with her signature light cone.

2 tanks in Trailblazer and March.

1 Healer in Natasha.

And 1 buffer in Asta.

Next month we get a second buffer for free in Yukong which will let you make 2 complete teams with only free characters.

We also get a number of light cones for free and can buy more from Herta and Forgotten Hall. Breakfast, Serval's, River Flows Like Spring, Trend of the Universal Market, We Are Wildfire, The Moles Welcome You, probably 1 or 2 more I can't remember.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

The whole reason people didn't want upcoming story spoilers in the thread inside spoiler tags was to avoid people hinting around them outside tags, so please don't.

Yeah, I agree. I'm a little annoyed at the couple of spoilers I know, including the one I asked about. I'm looking forward to finding out how they wrap up the Xianzhou next month and our next destination, but I'd like to discover that stuff for myself.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Serval only free for people who started playing in 1.0?

And I imagine Yukong will be free through next patch's flagship event (if this game follows Genshin's "free 4* weapon > free 4* character" cycle of events), so not really perma-free either.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No clue actually. She was originally a pre-order bonus, but I didn't start playing until Jing Yuan's banner. I guess someone would have to start a new account now to find out.

Yukong may be like Natasha in that she just joins through the story. I don't think we know yet.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Walla posted:

No clue actually. She was originally a pre-order bonus, but I didn't start playing until Jing Yuan's banner. I guess someone would have to start a new account now to find out.

Yukong may be like Natasha in that she just joins through the story. I don't think we know yet.

I could be wrong but I thought they said Yukong would be the reward for beating the new Forgotten Hall levels being added next patch. Might have just been speculation that I read, my brain is mush these days.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I really hope that's not the case. Characters shouldn't be gated behind that kind of content imo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Walla posted:

I really hope that's not the case. Characters shouldn't be gated behind that kind of content imo.

I mean..You can just roll her. Don't see the issue.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

They have a few characters gated that way in Genshin (Spiral Abyss 3-3 and 4-3) so it wouldn't surprise me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Walla posted:

Is it really much different than gating characters behind story progress? You'll beat Forgotten Halls eventually. It's permanent content.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Walla posted:

i would agree if it was locked behind memory of chaos, but you can super outlevel the base forgotten hall eventually so it's fine

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
FH is also basically tutorial content for having a decent party comp/upgrades. It's not like it's locked behind MoC10 or anything.

e: actually barely even that. Pretty sure I polished off the 2-team stages with two teams of two 60s

acumen fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 2, 2023

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

forgotten hall never felt super challenging to me, but it seemed like it was basically a gear/level/progress check more than anything

now, MoC... I will never be focused enough to do MoC and I'm fine with that lol

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For some reason I confused Forgotten Hall with Memory of Chaos. Disregard my objection.

If she is tied to Forgotten Hall then I hope she's a permanent reward. Or at least replace her with new characters frequently. I didn't even know they were extending the Forgotten Hall levels. I wonder if that means MoC is going to have higher level enemies too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Wasn't Qingque already a reward for Forgotten Hall?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I desire more Qingques

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

we're gonna eventually need 3 teams for MoC/Forgotten Halls when they add more stages aren't we

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

GateOfD posted:

we're gonna eventually need 3 teams for MoC/Forgotten Halls when they add more stages aren't we

if it's anything like genshin, they'll just add more bosses to the main game with gimmicks that don't exist in MoC so killing them in a timely manner becomes an exercise in tedium and frustration

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I popped Geppys lc from my monthly fates and reached 600 spacebux so now I'm torn on what lc I buy with it. I have Bronya and Clara and their respective cones. Himeko and Bailu are the other standard chars who I have, but lack their lc. I use both a lot so :shrug: kinda leaning to Himeko because she's a damage dealer even if her cone is kinda bad it's less bad than I thought math wise.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Haven't had time to do weekly SU runs or boss fights thanks to trying to finish FF16 before the week is over, goodbye my (near) perfect efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

These last blessings just don't want to appear. It's frustrating.