Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

anyone else dislike how they've mickey-mousified Classic Sonic? Like he has all his edges filed off and is just a cute mascot? I dunno.

I think they pushed it a bit too much, but I do like the idea of setting apart classic and modern Sonic by having classic sonic be a little bit more whimsical? But like, Sonic 1-3, his very much on those title screens giving a cool look and wagging his finger.

Like, maybe classic sonic should be more like "rascal/trickster" like, ruin eggmans plans and laugh at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pants Donkey posted:

If you have a PC and don’t mind doing the legwork, every game on Origins has a fan-made port with a mind-boggling amount of options before even getting into mods. If you just want an easy way to spend a nostalgic weekend and aren’t the kind of Sonic nerd that knows poo poo like “roll locking”, then Origins is perfectly fine. It just falls way short of what a true compilation of the Retro games could have been, and sega didn’t give the team enough time to work on Sonic 3&K so it can be a bit buggy but more akin to Robotnik’s deadly speed traps than an unplayable mess like ‘06 or Boom.

I would like to play them on my Deck and I don’t really care to get those fan made ports working on it. I will think about it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic has always been cute

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

He was blue, like the gamecube

Listen, I'm not slow or anything. He wasn't that dark. But he was a dark blue. Like, weirdly dark compared to the Genesis era stuff. I googled the art I was thinking of, and he was still darker on that compared to Modern Sonic. But yeah, the figure I had made him even darker than that. That's why I got confused. I thought they based it on the weird art colors since it was all the same year or so.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

anyone else dislike how they've mickey-mousified Classic Sonic? Like he has all his edges filed off and is just a cute mascot? I dunno.
It’s funny you mention Mickey, as his original personality was closer to Sonic’s. A puckish type that isn’t bad, but he’s more free-spirited and rude than your standard protagonist. And over the years he got sanded down to bland corporate mascot, especially as his media presence diminished with the death of theatrical shorts.

I don’t think Classic Sonic has had enough games to really say one way or another. Hesse’s shorts keep that spirit as he teases his enemies, but the actual games were not exactly big on story. Being a mute doesn’t help either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hesse's Sonic is the perfect balance, he's simultaneously adorable and has a sassy attitude.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hrist posted:

Listen, I'm not slow or anything. He wasn't that dark. But he was a dark blue. Like, weirdly dark compared to the Genesis era stuff. I googled the art I was thinking of, and he was still darker on that compared to Modern Sonic. But yeah, the figure I had made him even darker than that. That's why I got confused. I thought they based it on the weird art colors since it was all the same year or so.

that figure just seems abnormally dark, even on the official art sticker you can see that he isnt that much darker

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The sprite comparisons made me realise I really like Sonic 3’s shoes. They’re cute.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The sprite comparisons made me realise I really like Sonic 3’s shoes. They’re cute.

They guy who did the character sprites for S3&K also did the character sprites for Sega's Mickey/Donald sprites, and it's hard not to notice the feet/shoes and walk cycles being more Disney than the earlier games.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I hate those flat flipper rear end shoes all my homies hate the sonic 2 shoes

My sonic wore big chunky soaps

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

Dreamcast Sonic was my first Sonic too, so I just want the hog to have good arch support.

I always saw Sonic as very definitively blue in the Adventure games, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some locations in Adventure 1 that maybe made him come across as indigo-ish. I feel like that game had pretty hardcore lighting sometimes.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ArfJason posted:

decided to overlay some of the sprites to check

Sonic 3 still has the best sprite IMO. Friendly smile, less rigid pose, and they shaded his spikes so they don't look like the cursed mohawk design.

Mania's shading looks even more like a mohawk.

flavor.flv posted:

Sonic's shoes in 1 and 2 look like those medieval shoes where they had to tie the tips to their shins.

I'm glad they gave Oshima some flying jester to ruin instead.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 2, 2023

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i gotta admit i was never ever a fan of the american sonic mohawk poo poo

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't even care about Mickey Mouse but what they did when they brought him into colour is worse than anything they've done to Sonic.

Oh, you thought those were his pupils? No, they're his whole eyes.

It wasn't great when the DIC cartoons made Sonic's pupils blink but at least they didn't change the whites to flesh coloured.

E: Oh man, they did exactly that with that baby Sonic design in Underground, huh. I found another screenshot that looks OK though.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 2, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArfJason posted:

i gotta admit i was never ever a fan of the american sonic mohawk poo poo

I think Tails (and maybe Knuckles in Underground) were the only characters that weren’t altered that much for the cartoons. I never understood why they couldn’t just use Robotnik’s game design either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

I think Tails (and maybe Knuckles in Underground) were the only characters that weren’t altered that much for the cartoons. I never understood why they couldn’t just use Robotnik’s game design either

you only see his ingame sprite pretty briefly and at weird angles, while the american cover art for sonic 2 is basically what the cartoons used. likely just referencing that official art

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

That loving Sned posted:

I don't even care about Mickey Mouse but what they did when they brought him into colour is worse than anything they've done to Sonic.

Oh, you thought those were his pupils? No, they're his whole eyes.

It wasn't great when the DIC cartoons made Sonic's pupils blink but at least they didn't change the whites to flesh coloured.

E: Oh man, they did exactly that with that baby Sonic design in Underground, huh. I found another screenshot that looks OK though.

Excuse you, that's not Sonic. That's actually Robotnik's Fake Hedgehog Baby. It also messily explodes on screen, because what the gently caress is Sonic Underground.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I had that toy and the head broke off and now my severed Sonic head is a prized possession of mine

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Endorph posted:

you only see his ingame sprite pretty briefly and at weird angles, while the american cover art for sonic 2 is basically what the cartoons used. likely just referencing that official art

Its pretty wild there were 3 different versions of Robotnik until the Sonic Adventure redesign. The classic game version even had plenty of official art of him in the early 90's so it can't be lack of references.

Wonder what prompted Sega to design two more versions of him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

Its pretty wild there were 3 different versions of Robotnik until the Sonic Adventure redesign. The classic game version even had plenty of official art of him in the early 90's so it can't be lack of references.

Also were all 3 cartoons made by DiC? Because they basically use the same Robotnik design between them aside from some changes to the arms and head.

The AOSTH design did have the yellow cape in an early test pilot though (which you can see footage of in the ending credits) but not in the show itself for some reason

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

Even after...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Eh, that was specifically for the Sonic Adventure adaptation in the UK comic, which was the last story before it went into just printing re-runs before it's cancellation.

StC Robotnik was weird, in that he started off looking like game Robotnik (just with black voids for eyes instead of sunglasses) and later 'regenerated' into the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog design. And props to the StC artists for making the design from the silly cartoon actually look menacing most of the time.
For the Sonic Adventure story, he just put on a new coat!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Eh, that was specifically for the Sonic Adventure adaptation in the UK comic, which was the last story before it went into just printing re-runs before it's cancellation.

StC Robotnik was weird, in that he started off looking like game Robotnik (just with black voids for eyes instead of sunglasses) and later 'regenerated' into the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog design. And props to the StC artists for making the design from the silly cartoon actually look menacing most of the time.
For the Sonic Adventure story, he just put on a new coat!

Which makes it even weirder that the Archie version killed him off only to later replace him with a counterpart from another dimension

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a counterpart who initially looks the same as the original except all blue/black who gets blown up and downloads himself into a backup body

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So why exactly did Archie bother with all that when they could have just given the original Robotnik a change of clothes (his head shape’s also different but I’m sure they could have figured something out)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 2, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ken Penders wanted to keep him killed off forever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

Ken Penders wanted to keep him killed off forever

Surely even he knew that Sega would never allow that and that the character would appear in more games that the comic would eventually have to adapt

Also, did the other Robotnik bodies shown in storage during the issue that introduced the modern design ever get used for something?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

Surely even he knew that Sega would never allow that and that the character would appear in more games that the comic would eventually have to adapt

Also, did the other Robotnik bodies shown in storage during the issue that introduced the modern design ever get used for something?

No, and no

Ken Penders was and is a lunatic egomaniac, and those other bodies were a one-off joke. One of them is just Hulk Hogan in a red jumpsuit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

No, and no

Ken Penders was and is a lunatic egomaniac, and those other bodies were a one-off joke. One of them is just Hulk Hogan in a red jumpsuit

Ah, so Penders was always a nutcase even back then (kind of a pity they didn’t get rid of him sooner)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Karl Bollers wrote those issues.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Who are we to judge the only man who used “original character, do not steal” in court and won

The Bee posted:

Excuse you, that's not Sonic. That's actually Robotnik's Fake Hedgehog Baby. It also messily explodes on screen, because what the gently caress is Sonic Underground.

Thank you for reminding me. I can’t believe I forgot the only other memorable thing that happened in Sonic Underground

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ken penders killed robotnik and considered it one of his finest stories. he then went off to work on the knuckles series and made everyone else deal with what to write without the main antagonist. karl bollers, penders' hated nemesis, was one of the few writers at the time to have actually read other people's stories and so pulled on an old alternate dimension robotnik thread from years before because having a sonic comic without eggman is loving stupid

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Wasn't killing off Robotnik slightly more reasonable in the context of everyone assuming the comic was ending at around issue #50 and it going on way longer than that? Like everything that's been said is all true but still.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Larryb posted:

So why exactly did Archie bother with all that when they could have just given the original Robotnik a change of clothes (his head shape’s also different but I’m sure they could have figured something out)?

the explanations for why sonic, robotnik, and amy's appearances change just in time for the sonic adventure adaptation are all really funny though

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looper posted:

the explanations for why sonic, robotnik, and amy's appearances change just in time for the sonic adventure adaptation are all really funny though

And then for Tails and Knuckles they just changed their eye color with zero explanation

Speaking of Amy, did the Fleetway comic adapt her Adventure look as well?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Larryb posted:

And then for Tails and Knuckles they just changed their eye color with zero explanation

Speaking of Amy, did the Fleetway comic adapt her Adventure look as well?

IIRC, they changed her 'hair'style to match Adventure, but not her outfit.

StC Amy is another character design oddity, having kind of 'upturned' spikes.

Because the only art they had to go off when they introduced her, was this key art from Sonic CD, and they misread how her spikes worked. So that stuck until Adventure

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love how Archie, SatAM, and STC both completely misunderstood the design sensibility behind Eggman's machines

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I love how Archie, SatAM, and STC both completely misunderstood the design sensibility behind Eggman's machines

Ironically the one that came the closest to the tone of the games was the more comedy focused AoStH (right down to Robotnik being a giant manchild who had yet to fully conquer the planet and Tails having some mechanical ability)

Also I kind of like Fleetway Amy’s design and still think it would have made for a good Super/Hyper Amy look in Origins

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

One thing behind StC's adaptation of Robotnik is that they got informed that both the AoSTH and SatAM cartoons were coming to the UK, but were never given any instruction on which, if either, they were supposed to align the comic's canon with. So they sort of split the difference and had Robotnik do the egg regeneration thing to match AoSTH's look for him, and did the time travel takeover thing to make Robotnik rule over Mobius, but didn't introduce any other elements from the cartoons because no one ever said they needed to.

Sega played pretty fast and loose with Sonic's brand identity in those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The character of Grimer exists because they thought they were required to use Snivelly from SatAM, but then later found out that they were actually required not to.