Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

fknlo posted:

Congrats on the cx-50. If my girl had wanted something that size I would have grabbed her one instead of the cx-30 carbon I ended up going with. It’s probably the best looking suv out there right now.

I'm really happy with it, it's basically a nice midpoint between my last 2 cars (last one was a 4Runner, before that a GTI). It's somehow even more red than my last car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I miss my Speed6 quite a lot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

If I could buy my Speed3 back in the condition I sold it in, I would in a heartbeat. I did check recently and it's still on the road with nearly 200k on it (sold it with 50k) so that makes me happy at least.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

smax posted:

I'm really happy with it, it's basically a nice midpoint between my last 2 cars (last one was a 4Runner, before that a GTI). It's somehow even more red than my last car.

oooooooooh that's nice! Very red too.

I am looking at CX-30s/5s/50s. They seem to be the best combo of safety/driving enjoyment/economic AWD.
  • I did notice that they apparently don't have a touch screen capability.
  • How y'all feel about infotainment screens with/without touch screen capability?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I do not like touch screens. We own a Model Y and a ND2 RF Miata. Allegedly, the infotainment screen in the miata is a touchscreen, but it doesn't seem to with Android Auto, and it is disabled when you are moving (or maybe if the parking brake is not engaged-- I don't know, I don't use it).

The Mazda navigation wheel works fine enough. I find it a little slow or laggy but apparently that is something that can be modded with some third party software.

I had a rental CX-30 turbo awd a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what the trim level was but it has radar adaptive cruise, HUD, Bose stereo, etc. While nowhere near as fast as the Y, it was still peppy, and it had a much nicer or more well thought out interior.

I suppose if I were in the market for a gas CUV, it would be on my list.

But yeah, touchscreens suck and don't allow for any muscle memory. Don't use that as a basis for choosing a car.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am looking at CX-30s/5s/50s. They seem to be the best combo of safety/driving enjoyment/economic AWD.
  • How y'all feel about infotainment screens with/without touch screen capability?

I have a 2016 Mazda MAZDA3 and never use the touchscreen. The buttons/knob which allow you to navigate the infotainment system are much better.

In fact, my car would have been better if there were NO touchscreen. The touchscreen in my car malfunctioned when the weather got really hot and created phantom touches in the system which was annoying (e.g. the fake presses would lead to randomly calling people in my phone contacts list). Fortunately, Mazda replaced/fixed the touchscreen for free under warranty.

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
After owning two Mazdas with scroll wheels, I’d have a hard time going back to a touchscreen. It’s a huge selling point for me. For me, it feels safer and far less effort than always having to lift my arm and aim at specific spots on the screen. I feel like I can navigate screens more passively, if that makes sense.

Not everyone is a fan, apparently, so it’s definitely worth trying out. Some people feel they can do things more directly/quickly with a touchscreen, rather than needing to scroll around to highlight the right button or whatever (especially if things on the screen aren’t laid out in a clearly linear order). I very rarely have that issue though.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The CX-50 does have a touch screen, but it’s only touch for CarPlay/AA and you have to enable that in a menu to allow touch while driving.

I don’t know if they added it to the 2023 CX-30.

I’m perfectly fine without it—I like the knob interface except for entering text. It’s the one place where it falls down. I don’t think it’s that much slower than touching a screen keyboard while moving, but it’s just off enough to make you grumble.

Also, the knob isn’t just a rotary spinner; it has cardinal directions which have alternative functions in the phone mirroring setups (e.g. page down versus single item, or moving to adjacent areas without scrolling). It has a learning curve, but once you understand the rules it’s very comfortable to operate. Especially since it’s always within your line of sight.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

The CX-50 does have a touch screen, but it’s only touch for CarPlay/AA and you have to enable that in a menu to allow touch while driving.

I don’t know if they added it to the 2023 CX-30.

I’m perfectly fine without it—I like the knob interface except for entering text. It’s the one place where it falls down. I don’t think it’s that much slower than touching a screen keyboard while moving, but it’s just off enough to make you grumble.

Also, the knob isn’t just a rotary spinner; it has cardinal directions which have alternative functions in the phone mirroring setups (e.g. page down versus single item, or moving to adjacent areas without scrolling). It has a learning curve, but once you understand the rules it’s very comfortable to operate. Especially since it’s always within your line of sight.

I was going to basically say everything this guy did. It’s an odd choice making the screen touch-capable but not actually use it unless you’re in CarPlay, but the knob works surprisingly well even for CarPlay.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Mazda turbo oil burning issue update: Mazda extended the VIN range to include a variety of turbo engines up to june 2022. They now have a fix for the issue. People on reddit are reporting it take about 5 days, so expect to have a loaner for a while.

Mine is losing about a 1/2 quart per 5k miles, so the next time the light comes on I guess I'll bring it in. BTW some people are saying they had a headache because they put oil in and THEN brought their car to the dealer and they didn't meet the criteria for the TSB... very funny. Guess its a not a cheap fix for them if they're using that to say things are fine.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/tsb-re-2021-mazdas-50408/page7/
https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda/comments/y5zhwa/2021_oil_consumption_issue_tsb_fix_issued/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I live in an apartment so I have been bringing my car into a local place for oil changes. I need to get a garage ASAP because they put the wrong oil in, and when I pointed it out tried to argue with me that it was fine because "both of these are fully synthetic so its the same thing". Then they tried to make it sound like my fault because I didn't warn them ahead of time. I know they're just going to wait a day, tell me they replaced the oil and then actually its still going to be the exact 0w-30 that's in there now.

So I guess my question is how bad is it going to be when that's the oil in my car instead of 5w-30.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What grade does the manual ask for? I thought they were 0W-20 or something anyway

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
0w-30 is for the 2.0 and 2.5 naturally aspirated, the turbo is 5w-30. Its not THAT different but I mean its written on the cap.

edit: I picked up the car and it was in the exact same spot and the low battery warning was on which means the door had been opened and closed while off 10 times. They absolutely didn't do poo poo but I can't prove it.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 16, 2022

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I asked this in the stupid questions thread but thought I'd ask here too since it is Mazda specific:

I have a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Reserve with 24,000 miles on it.

Every now and then, about 2x a week, when I crank the car the start/stop button flashes amber. If I turn the car off and re-crank it, it does not flash anymore. The car cranks, runs, and drives normally. The only information in the book says to have the dealer inspect it. I cannot find any consistent method to make it happen, so I don't really trust them to diagnose an intermittent thing like that. Any suggestions other than take it to them the next time I crank it and it happens?

I have replaced the fob battery in the off-chance it was running low.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Just got a letter from Mazda/SGS asking to borrow my 2018 3 for two weeks for some sort of dynamometer emissions testing program. Any other 3 owners get this?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

GlenMR posted:

I have, uhh, whatever this is. It's not work fixing - certainly not at that price - but it does interfere with the readability of the screen a little. There's also a couple of cracks,but they're less of an issue than the weird patterning.

If memory serves Mazda issued a recall on touch screens for some cars manufactured between 2014-2016 for "ghost" inputs or delamination. They've extended the recall at least once and apparently have been pretty liberal about approving repairs so it might be worth popping over to https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/recalls and see if anything comes up.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Funny you should mention it, my 2017 mazda 3 just started having the Ghost Touch problem.

Anyone else have this problem? I read that my model year isn't covered under the recall, so I think I'm going to just pull out the infotainment console and disconnect the touchscreen's digitizer

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HolHorsejob posted:

Funny you should mention it, my 2017 mazda 3 just started having the Ghost Touch problem.

Anyone else have this problem? I read that my model year isn't covered under the recall, so I think I'm going to just pull out the infotainment console and disconnect the touchscreen's digitizer

Do you have more information about this? I have the same model and year but I'm not familiar with the issue.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If you’re having ghost touches, you should try MazdatweakAIO before you do something drastic like unplugging a digitizer. There’s an option to disable touch, and a lot of minor quality of life hacks.

https://mazdatweaks.com

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
How safe is that Mazda tweaks thing? There are a few features I want to try on my Miata but I'm paranoid of bricking my head unit.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's got "community approval." I installed it years ago and my root survived the CarPlay upgrade.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Bank fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 21, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Called the dealer to schedule the first oil change on the CX-30. Said I was doing it at around 7k miles which is a bit early but I don't like 10k intervals. They proceed to tell me that it's 5k mile intervals so I freak out even though I checked the manual and then checked the manual again to make sure I wasn't insane. Yup, 10k intervals. It wouldn't be going to the dealer if it weren't under warranty.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There’s two schedules, a “light” and “heavy” one, with 10K and 5K intervals respectively. Most dealers assume you’ll be on the heavy one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

There’s two schedules, a “light” and “heavy” one, with 10K and 5K intervals respectively. Most dealers assume you’ll be on the heavy one.

Yeah, I had seen that in the manual but it's definitely not getting what I'd consider heavy use. Even the stupid car app says she has 2500 miles to go.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Any sort of stop-and-go traffic (city, rush-hour, etc.) is considered "heavy" use, plus dealers want you in more often.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
My shifter suddenly feels a lot more resistant to movement. Like even with the car off and the shifter in the neutral position, pulling it over to still in neutral but below 1st / above 2nd, it stops, needing more force to get past something stopping it.

Driving today I went to put it in 4th, which should just be straight down, it felt like there was something blocking it that I had to push past to actually drop it into gear.

I guess I could take the leather cover thing off and make sure nothing's in there, but it feels like it's a shifter problem and not a transmission thing since it does it even when off, and it was fine yesterday so I'm just confused and not sure how to properly Google my issue.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Aexo posted:

My shifter suddenly feels a lot more resistant to movement. Like even with the car off and the shifter in the neutral position, pulling it over to still in neutral but below 1st / above 2nd, it stops, needing more force to get past something stopping it.

Driving today I went to put it in 4th, which should just be straight down, it felt like there was something blocking it that I had to push past to actually drop it into gear.

I guess I could take the leather cover thing off and make sure nothing's in there, but it feels like it's a shifter problem and not a transmission thing since it does it even when off, and it was fine yesterday so I'm just confused and not sure how to properly Google my issue.

Don't know what car you have but this sounds a lot like what my 08 MS3 was doing before this happened. So uhh...don't let this happen is my advice.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Yeah it's a 2013 MS3 w/ 72k miles on it. I'll crack into under the leather thing when I get back from this vacation.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
2018 3 rear end is getting super bouncy at 50k miles and my dog hates it. Was going to grab some OE shocks but the Koni special actives are quite a bit cheaper. Anyone run those with the stock springs? My main priority is ride comfort these days.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Nohearum posted:

2018 3 rear end is getting super bouncy at 50k miles and my dog hates it. Was going to grab some OE shocks but the Koni special actives are quite a bit cheaper. Anyone run those with the stock springs? My main priority is ride comfort these days.

I believe I ran the Koni FSDs in my 2008 MS3 with stock springs. I recall them being pretty comfortable but still sporty feeling. I don't think you would regret them.

I believe the FSDs and the Special Active Struts were supposed to be related.

I bought mine from this shop back in 2019: https://edgeautosport.com/

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

FYI, found out that Mazda is getting very stingy about doing repairs anywhere close to the end of warranty period. The power folding mirror on the passenger side failed on the last day of my warranty, and they do NOT want to fix it.

What a stupid loving design, whoever came up with the auto-retract feature does not live in a climate with ice/snow.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can't disable it? That was the first thing I did with my 2015 Mazda 3...

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

There's a trick apparently, I'm gonna try it tonight. But yeah those motors are weak and don't like any snow/ice buildup.

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 6, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

MA-Horus posted:

FYI, found out that Mazda is getting very stingy about doing repairs anywhere close to the end of warranty period. The power folding mirror on the passenger side failed on the last day of my warranty, and they do NOT want to fix it.

What a stupid loving design, whoever came up with the auto-retract feature does not live in a climate with ice/snow.

My driver's side one never worked properly on my 2018 Mazda 3 - every few weeks it needed opening and closing a few times to get it to sit properly

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Are you outside the US or something? The manual for my 2018 doesn't mention power folding mirrors.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Yeah I don't think I have that on my 2016 3 and it has every option

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some non-US markets have power folding and/or heated mirrors. On some years, the hookups are still there in the door, so you can actually order the mirrors online and install them yourself fairly easily.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's pretty simple to disable them actually.

Push start button twice to ON (don't turn the engine on)
Put the window switch lock into lock
Turn off the e-brake
Push down on passenger window and 2 rear window switches for 5 seconds.

I guess that 2020.5 and later models have a switch for the mirrors for fold/auto/unfold so you don't have to do this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My 2016 had a switch for folding mirrors, in, out and auto positions.