Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Even if I thought that Musk’s actions were great and I strived to emulate them, which is a very stupid thing to think, I would still know better than the publicly admit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Even if I thought that Musk’s actions were great and I strived to emulate them, which is a very stupid thing to think, I would still know better than the publicly admit it.

could be an attempt to bait Elon into buying reddit so he can cash out before the fire reaches the mountain of oily rags.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rick posted:

Unfortunately it looks like he’s right. Too many people came crawling back after two days so they have no reason but to proceed.

I’ll be interested in what things look like post-June 30th. I’m out once Apollo shuts down. I’m not changing my daily routine until it just doesn’t work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
As has been mentioned before Elon is basically what every CEO wants to be. A dude who cares about nothing but making money no matter the cost

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’ll be interested in what things look like post-June 30th. I’m out once Apollo shuts down. I’m not changing my daily routine until it just doesn’t work

Pretty much. I've bounced as well and deleted Now for Reddit from my phone. Alas.

I used to browse Reddit frequently in boredom, fortunately I still have Awful app.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think he’s talking about Reddit. Twitter is already barely holding on as is and probably won’t survive the long term

Correct!

Apparently things aren't great at Reddit either, they basically used their entire cash infusion from a couple years ago building that NFT platform. Which might be what this is actually all about on several fronts.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Yeah, it turns reddit from something I look at when in a line or waiting room or something after looking at everything else I normally look at to something else being in that slot. Their mobile app already annoyed me enough to uninstall it even before all this happened, and my entire interaction is with third party apps.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reddit had an NFT platform?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Reddit had an NFT platform?

Exactly

NFTs were such a dumb Speedrun of crypto, where crypto is itself a dumb Speedrun of capitalism

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember when Activision and GameStop both had NFT platforms and no one bought that poo poo

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember when Activision and GameStop both had NFT platforms and no one bought that poo poo

Reddit was way better positioned to take a share of that market if NFTs were ever going to be a real thing. Fortunately, though

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Are there any NFTs/kinds of NFTs that are still worth anything at this point or has the whole thing gone up in smoke?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Zugzwang posted:

Are there any NFTs/kinds of NFTs that are still worth anything at this point or has the whole thing gone up in smoke?

None of them were ever worth anything, but the answer is a resounding no.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

RagnarokZ posted:

None of them were ever worth anything, but the answer is a resounding no.
Yes but I guess I'm asking whether there are still rubes who will fork over lots of money for them or if the rubes are all busy being conned by something else now.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Biplane posted:

First place I had a job, an at the time semi-small regional electronics wholesaler, the two people whi started and ran it consistently gave yearly raises, already generous pay, great benefits, employees loved it and productivity and profit increased yearly. Then they hit the magic point where Capital noticed its success, they eventually got an offer too good to pass up, and the business has been a shambles ever since. :allears:

That is kinda like where I am at. Management treats people like human beings, pay raises are alright, benefits are great, and pay is high for the industry. Thankfully we got bought up by the European division of a big Japanese company. But at some point management will turn over and drive the place to poo poo. I'll leave then. I've been out at lovely companies, and I might get 10k more working for one but it's not worth it right now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Zugzwang posted:

Yes but I guess I'm asking whether there are still rubes who will fork over lots of money for them or if the rubes are all busy being conned by something else now.

I'm opening up a slurp juice bar.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Not the market died awhile ago

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zugzwang posted:

All the people who used to be NFT grifters are now AI grifters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not the market died awhile ago
Somw dude at work had NFT poo poo up when we were in there for a quick meeting.

Dude's in deep.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not rich but do you, as a rich person, ever have enough money that you go eh, gently caress it, let's pay people more? Not cut jobs? Offer benefits that aren't poo poo?

There’s Ken Olsen, who do-founded and was CEO of Digital Equipment Corporation for many years. He made a point of hiring minorities and women for important leadership positions. DEC also had an employee credit union because many of their employees wouldn’t have qualified for loans due to redlining. He was by all accounts very well liked.

But he also donated money to The Family and other conservative religious groups so uh, yeah. There’s that too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is " The Family" the real name of the org or is its just the nickname of some particular regressive org.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

PhazonLink posted:

is " The Family" the real name of the org or is its just the nickname of some particular regressive org.

This one; the group behind the National Prayer Breakfasts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fellowship_(Christian_organization)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The paternalistic owners are better than the pure evil ones, but they still find ways to suck

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

As has been mentioned before Elon is basically what every CEO wants to be. A dude who cares about nothing but making money no matter the cost

If he cared about making money over everything else he wouldn't have bought Twitter which has never been and now may never be profitable.

He basically talked himself into buying Twitter because people were being mean to him online and he wants to be cool and respected, and he even saw that this was a bad idea and tried to back out but had put himself in a position where he legally could not. So now he's all in trying to make it a cool Free Speech Zone where if you pay money YOUR annoying replies get to be at the top of every thread so everyone has to listen to your opinions on why you think trans people are evil.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Pretty much. I've bounced as well and deleted Now for Reddit from my phone. Alas.

I used to browse Reddit frequently in boredom, fortunately I still have Awful app.

I keep posting this but this place is now my main source of interaction with the Internet and social media these days. No algorithm, no endless scrolling, a paywall to stop bots and trolls.

It's a shame about Reddit. I enjoyed my time there but I'm glad I got out before all this nonsense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maxwell Lord posted:

If he cared about making money over everything else he wouldn't have bought Twitter which has never been and now may never be profitable.

Twitter had profitable quarters, no? Even shortly before the Musking.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not just quarters, but years. Multiple ones.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elon was basically forced to buy Twitter

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

After he tried to back out of buying twitter, yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Maxwell Lord posted:

He basically talked himself into buying Twitter because people were being mean to him online and he wants to be cool and respected, and he even saw that this was a bad idea and tried to back out but had put himself in a position where he legally could not. So now he's all in trying to make it a cool Free Speech Zone where if you pay money YOUR annoying replies get to be at the top of every thread so everyone has to listen to your opinions on why you think trans people are evil.

No he thinks he’s making money and in the end that’s all that matters. Like he didn’t want Twitter so now he’s trying to sell everything that isn’t absolutely necessary

The fact it’s failing is obviously the fault of everyone else.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

After he tried to back out of buying twitter, yes.

After he said "I'm buying Twitter, this is definitely not an attempt to manipulate the stock price lol maybe I should buy the shares for $420.69?!?!"

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Sir Lemming posted:

The # of users isn't nearly as important as the # of advertisers, and they're definitely not out of the woods by any means. User engagement alone doesn't pay for your yacht. And Twitter Blue subscriptions sure aren't going to do it either. Those checkmarks are increasingly seen as something to be avoided, and I have to wonder how long it'll be before people get bored of paying for one to own the libs.

Businesses are still thinking in 20th Century mode where advertising will support mass media (like a television network).

It works great if you have fewer than five networks and there are zero on-demand video alternatives.

I quit Twitter last year and haven’t missed any news or memes or much of anything because there are literally dozens of other places I can get the same info for free.

Google Search works as an ad-based platform because you go there when you are looking for something (goods, info) and they will match your query with an interested vendor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Twitter has just abruptly announced a temporary (maybe) limit on the number of posts you’re allowed to view per day, with Verified members getting more. This is allegedly to combat “data scraping” but may have something to do with a deal Twitter has with Google for cloud hosting, for which Twitter is behind on payments.

It’s too early to declare that this is The Thing That Finally Breaks Twitter Completely but people are rushing to get in line for Bluesky so it is at the very least a sign of decline.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dril basically just posted a BanMe and people are finally getting horrible errors when doing poo poo like loading a photo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Only because evil people are scrapping the data.

No data left it’s all been scrapped

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Twitter's refusal to pay their bills is a bold strategy. Let's see if it works out for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zugzwang posted:

Twitter's refusal to pay their bills is a bold strategy. Let's see if it works out for them.
If today is any indication it’s working great!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

If today is any indication it’s working great!
I just want to see them evicted from their SF office for not paying rent. Never thought I'd cheer for a landlord, but here we are.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay I saw an article from mid-June saying they’d paid Google finally so that’s probably not what’s happening.

As to what is happening, :iiam:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would guess that this is Elon’s latest genius idea to get people to start paying to pay to use Twitter. Because he’s an idiot who A) bought a company for way more than it was worth and in the process of doing so saddled it with enough debt that it will never be profitable again and B) has such a fundamental misunderstanding of the business that he has spent much of his time as CEO attempting to brainstorm ways to charge the product money.

FilthyImp posted:

Dril basically just posted a BanMe

Can you (or anyone) post a screenshot of that? I don’t have a Twitter account and I sure as hell am not going to make one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That the announcement was so abrupt makes me thing something stopped working and he announced a policy change to paper it over. Very much “I meant to do this.”