Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

1. Change system so a lot of accounts you don't follow and aren't interested in show up on your feed, which you want to instantly skip.

2. Limit the number of tweets you can scroll past in a day.

3. ????

4. Infinite profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Tree Reformat posted:

We may be heading toward a world in which social media just kind of... dies, in general, as a concept.

And honestly? I'm here for it. Stake the vampire once for all, dumbass techbros.

To be fair, I don't think many of them have ever actually made money. The entire concept is being kept afloat by gullible investors with blind faith that eventually they will get sold to idiots like Musk (which is the only way they can possibly turn a profit).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember how Musk made the buyout price per-share a meme number? What a shrewd businessman. I bet his pals on twitter really respect him now.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

Huh, i can see posts again but there's a spirit halloween banner at the top of my feed???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s amazing how he does not seem capable of doing a single thing right. He needs to step down like he promised.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 2, 2023

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Remember how Musk made the buyout price per-share a meme number? What a shrewd businessman. I bet his pals on twitter really respect him now.
Offering to buy a company for a giant, random number, backing out, and then getting sued into taking buying the company, all just seems like a laughable foible compared to every other step.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s amazing how he does seem capable of doing a single thing right. He needs to step down like he promised.

I think he did hire a new COO, only he keeps posting and being the face of the company anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There was an article about the new CEO not even being able to talk to advertisers directly because of her previous employment contract having some kind of timed restriction

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think he did hire a new COO, only he keeps posting and being the face of the company anyway.

Linda Yaccarino is CEO in name only for the next weeks because apparently she's still under a non-compete with NBC Universal and can't really make deals with advertisers like she was supposed to.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
people have mentioned some vocab word called the Glass Cliff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_cliff

which might be the ONE example of musk actually setting up a medium/long term strat that isnt based on his dumb attention span , brain worms, and drugs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What compelled Twitter to sue Musk? Was he just at a point of no return?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
double post

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

He agreed to the purchase but the Twitter Board had already approved the sale when he tried to back out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And Twitter wanted to get bought because his massive overpayment resulted in a big windfall for the shareholders

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It still cracks me up that Jack decided not to cash out his Twitter stock and took the equity instead

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Star Man posted:

The price he'd offered was far, far more than what they knew Twitter was worth, and they wanted to take all that money.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

This almost certainly also has something to do with the site’s issues

https://vxtwitter.com/qorigins/status/1675211520651984899?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

link doesnt work, what did it say

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Quote not edit.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Star Man posted:

The board wanted the idiot's money.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh I did not realize there was a social media thread on these dead forums.

I've been laughing at Twitter today.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He offered such a stupid amount of money for it. It would have been dumb not to take it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

PhazonLink posted:

people have mentioned some vocab word called the Glass Cliff

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_cliff

which might be the ONE example of musk actually setting up a medium/long term strat that isnt based on his dumb attention span , brain worms, and drugs.

And yet he's also loving it up because that strategy requires stepping back and keeping quiet for long enough to let people plausibly believe the CEO is making any decisions, whereas he's still just tweeting it out

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

I guess that tweet got deleted or something, but basically the reasons this is happening is some combination of A) their contract with Google ran out and their backend that is still partly on Google's servers is getting throttled, and B) they appear to have messed up the backend of the site by putting all tweets behind a login wall yesterday which resulted in a cascading DDoS style effect on the servers

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Still up on my end, here's a cap;

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Quorum posted:

And yet he's also loving it up because that strategy requires stepping back and keeping quiet for long enough to let people plausibly believe the CEO is making any decisions, whereas he's still just tweeting it out

a trait Musk shares with Donnie

"heres my guy to do THING"
*continues micro managing and birdposting orders*

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've read in other places that the new """CEO""" convinced him to pay Google though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've read in other places that the new """CEO""" convinced him to pay Google though.

I have no problem believing he allowed the CEO to believe she'd talked him into it, and then didn't pay the bill anyway.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

whydirt posted:

SA was trending left long before LF

The whole country was, since 2006 was when the dems took congress after Katrina and the wars turned sour. Helldump did alot more than LF, since it got taken over early by people who attacked racism and sexism

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wasn't Musk supposed to stop making decisions on how to run Twitter? I thought he agreed to turn it over to someone else.

I still don't fully understand why he made any changes at all, when you buy a new car you don't just pop the hood and start randomly pulling out parts. I know the answer is because he's petty and dumb, but I'm morbidly curious to know the thought process behind why he decided doing all of this was better than just doing nothing which would have been way easier, more effective, and not made him look like a complete jackass in front of millions upon millions of people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I still don't fully understand why he made any changes at all, when you buy a new car you don't just pop the hood and start randomly pulling out parts.

I don't know, that's what he did with Tesla, right? :v:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Wasn't Musk supposed to stop making decisions on how to run Twitter? I thought he agreed to turn it over to someone else.

I still don't fully understand why he made any changes at all, when you buy a new car you don't just pop the hood and start randomly pulling out parts. I know the answer is because he's petty and dumb, but I'm morbidly curious to know the thought process behind why he decided doing all of this was better than just doing nothing which would have been way easier, more effective, and not made him look like a complete jackass in front of millions upon millions of people.

I think the whole situation is similar to the Death Sub guy, actually. It's a narcissism thing where these rich babies feel the need to prove themselves by making these radical(ly idiotic) decisions to gut necessary features (like safety) and cut costs in an attempt to run a profitable company just like daddy did. They can even pretend like they're successful right up until the whole thing implodes.

Their role models are likely people like Jack Welch, who as the CEO of GE gutted the entire company and left it as a husk it is now, but got very popular amongst rich idiots for doing so because it looked really good on paper at the time.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 2, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Also, well, Twitter was probably losing money in the first place, before he said he'd buy it for the funny weed number, and then once the courts said that, no, you can't take back your signature on the contract just because you were doing a bit, he found himself on the hook for a huge amount of money, and of course Twitter is still bleeding money. So part of it's just that he wants to leave his mark on it, yes, but the other part of it is him desperately looking for a way to monetize it. Which is both impossible and also he's pretty stupid so his ideas are below average.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

It was telling when it came out how his other companies handle him. Like they have people around just to look Very Important and Totally Busy so he doesn't decid to go gently caress things up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He agreed to hire a new CEO, and he did actually do that a few weeks ago. Linda Yaccarino, formerly from NBC.

But when he gave up the CEO position, he instead made himself CTO, putting himself in charge of "product, software, and sysops". So he basically just foisted all the boring stuff (like begging advertisers to come back and fielding phone calls from angry regulators) off on someone else, while retaining personal control over the website itself.

As for why he made changes, the only reason he bought it is because he wanted to make changes to it. And it's not like Twitter was doing all that well in the first place. He didn't buy a new car, he bought an old junky car that was barely running, thinking it was gonna be a project car and he'd spend a few months working on it in his garage over the weekends and get it running better than ever.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apparently, in the middle of the night, Musk boosted the rate limit to 10,000 tweets a day for bluechecks, 1000 for non-paying users, and 500 for new unverified accounts, so I think the reaction is getting at him.

Also, in entirely unrelated news, I found out that you can probably scroll through 100 tweets in a minute, especially low-effort reply tweets, so it really puts a perspective on how damaging these rate limits are to audience retention.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
500 post per day wouldn't be so bad if a large majority of the posts weren't so useless. Given how much of the underlying infrastructure is the same, I almost wonder if advertisements and other unprompted "recommendations" would count towards that limit, making the actual number that much less.

Thinking on it, post distribution is also uneven due to the social inequalities of the platform, which means the rate limiting would actively disincentivise looking at and responding to high-engagement tweets. In an ironic way, this would actively cut into whatever any clout-chaser could hope to achieve. The bots and reply guys one has, the more likely any fresh audience would actively avoid you; may have been economically harmless before, but now it is actively costly to so much as look at it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Also, in entirely unrelated news, I found out that you can probably scroll through 100 tweets in a minute, especially low-effort reply tweets, so it really puts a perspective on how damaging these rate limits are to audience retention.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been saying. All you have to do is load up the front page and scroll down and it’ll make hundreds of API requests just like that. After a few minutes you’re done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Clarste posted:

Also, well, Twitter was probably losing money in the first place, before he said he'd buy it for the funny weed number, and then once the courts said that, no, you can't take back your signature on the contract just because you were doing a bit, he found himself on the hook for a huge amount of money, and of course Twitter is still bleeding money. So part of it's just that he wants to leave his mark on it, yes, but the other part of it is him desperately looking for a way to monetize it. Which is both impossible and also he's pretty stupid so his ideas are below average.

I’ve also read rumors about how he didn’t actually want to buy Twitter at all but instead was looking to sell off Tesla shares without tanking its value. But well, the courts said lol no you signed it and he wasn’t willing to fight it in court for whatever reason.

Of course this is all just hearsay and prolly wrong on many counts but it’s hilarious if true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

a trait Musk shares with Donnie

"heres my guy to do THING"
*continues micro managing and birdposting orders*

Them and Vince McMahon. All narcissistic cokehead control freaks with no concept of the world outside their arm's reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yesterday morning I noticed the scroll bar on a post going crazy and thought it was just a browsing glitch. Didn't realize it was the site freaking out on the backend and that I'd be locked out.