Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Maxwell Lord posted:

That the announcement was so abrupt makes me thing something stopped working and he announced a policy change to paper it over. Very much “I meant to do this.”
That's 100 percent what happened. They broke a part of the site when they put up that login wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ariong posted:

Can you (or anyone) post a screenshot of that? I don’t have a Twitter account and I sure as hell am not going to make one now.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Did he fire a ton of software testing people during the early layoff rounds? I can't imagine many of them made the cut via his insanely dumb "# of commits/lines of code" metric

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I saw an article from mid-June saying they’d paid Google finally so that’s probably not what’s happening.

As to what is happening, :iiam:

there's some report that said they reneged on it last minute so that may be what's happening

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010

Supposedly something that got pushed out created a self DDOS on twitter.

edit: made it a bit smaller is it an okay size now? I can't tell very well with my weird screen.

Pogonodon has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Jul 2, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay I saw an article from mid-June saying they’d paid Google finally so that’s probably not what’s happening.

As to what is happening, :iiam:

The article said the new CEO suggested to Elon that he pay the bill. He probably didn't because he's a stupid dipshit who thinks he knows better.

Probably just a coincidence that their contract with google ran out on June 30th and everything started to poo poo the bed on July 1st.

Zugzwang posted:

Did he fire a ton of software testing people during the early layoff rounds? I can't imagine many of them made the cut via his insanely dumb "# of commits/lines of code" metric

He's fired around 80% of the staff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Jul 2, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only because evil people are scrapping the data.

No data left it’s all been scrapped

<NES> lol
<NES> I download something from Napster
<NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me when I'm done
<NES> I message him and say "What are you doing? I just got that from you"
<NES> "getting my song back fucker"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Niantic of the Pokemon Go and Ingress fame (as well as a ton of other AR games they started and dropped, or talked about making and dropped) is closing down one of their offices and firing over 200 people, citing financial issues. After they insisted they in fact made a ton of money last month and the previous month, when they killed part of their Pokemon Go cash cow: remote raids.

See, remote raiding came out in covid, so people could drop $1 to beat a raid boss and try to catch it. You could raid all over the drat world. They made money hand over fist. But for a company who is not a gaming company, but an AR company, this was not good. They couldn't sell info about locations from players either, not that they've mentioned that in any release.

So a month or so ago they jacked up the prices over double for the remote passes, and limited you to 5 a day. Citing that the average player of Pokemon Go is, I poo poo you not, a Singaporean grandma who walks with her friends every morning and plays the game for 1-2 hours.

Since then their revenue has dropped a great deal. The usual Discord and raid groups I am in have dropped in busyness, and the resource group Silph Road, once paid for by Niantic, had to close down as well.

Now they've canceled the AR Marvel game. Must have cost them a penny or two for that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That's wild, they made so much money on pokemon go, but have managed to gently caress up anyway.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Zugzwang posted:

Did he fire a ton of

Yes

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

That's wild, they made so much money on pokemon go, but have managed to gently caress up anyway.

the thing is, whoever is in charge at Niantic doesn't care. They don't care that most people play the game because it was/is fun, the nostaglia, and just the overall IP. No one outside the upper managers give a poo poo about AR. No one uses it in game, ain't no one buying their loving AR glasses. The game will be seven years old in a few days, and Niantic keeps loving the golden goose and can't understand, despite tons of social media, why people won't play the game they want them to.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Niantic keeps trying to clone PoGo, too, and every time it's a failure.

Harry Potter, Catan, Pikmin, the NBA (this one is closing down lol didn't even make it six months), there's the canceled Marvel and Transformers games, they have a Monster Hunter game in development, they just released their own monster collecting IP called Peridot.

PoGo was such a ridiculous success that it broke them and they thought they could just slap any old IP over it's shell. Kind of sad honestly.

Anyone know how Ingress is doing?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I stopped playing Pokémon Go after a few months because Niantic made some absolute batshit decisions and clearly could not give a poo poo about players. Good to see they’ve learned absolutely nothing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Ironically they hosed up the one AR feature I actually liked ages ago, where you can take photos of your Pokemon 'in' real life places, which actually I think got me to quit.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pokémon Go To The Bank

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Niantic of the Pokemon Go and Ingress fame (as well as a ton of other AR games they started and dropped, or talked about making and dropped) is closing down one of their offices and firing over 200 people, citing financial issues. After they insisted they in fact made a ton of money last month and the previous month, when they killed part of their Pokemon Go cash cow: remote raids.

See, remote raiding came out in covid, so people could drop $1 to beat a raid boss and try to catch it. You could raid all over the drat world. They made money hand over fist. But for a company who is not a gaming company, but an AR company, this was not good. They couldn't sell info about locations from players either, not that they've mentioned that in any release.

So a month or so ago they jacked up the prices over double for the remote passes, and limited you to 5 a day. Citing that the average player of Pokemon Go is, I poo poo you not, a Singaporean grandma who walks with her friends every morning and plays the game for 1-2 hours.

Since then their revenue has dropped a great deal. The usual Discord and raid groups I am in have dropped in busyness, and the resource group Silph Road, once paid for by Niantic, had to close down as well.

Now they've canceled the AR Marvel game. Must have cost them a penny or two for that.

I’ve stopped playing other than like, daily catch every few days specifically because of those changes. gently caress you Niantic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What is it about companies that have wildly successful websites that keeps them from just letting their websites continue to be successful?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is it about companies that have wildly successful websites that keeps them from just letting their websites continue to be successful?

Capitalism.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Part of the reason that social media platforms are successful is that they keep the bad actors far enough away. The challenge there is that the bad actors adapt to your defenses against them, so you have to continue to work to keep them from taking over. That sometimes involves changes that most people don't like, and that's when websites become less successful.

For Twitter, the complicating factor is that they were bought by Elon Musk, and he is deeply stupid.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Also most of them actually aren't particularly successful. Like, recent fuckups like Imgur, Reddit and Twitter are all popular, very widely used, and (YMMV here) basically pretty good at doing what users want to do, but they're not profitable. Most of these things that are terrible for the users are them trying to cut costs, drive people towards the parts of the site that make money, and cut down on NWS content that advertiser's don't want their products next to, because at some point they want to be able to sell the company, or at least be able to make a better case for further investment.

Twitter in particular also has the compounding factor of having the world's biggest moron making the decisions, but he's also desperate for it to make money, presumably because he borrowed 40 billion dollars and the people who lent it to him are hovering over his shoulder going "nice electric car company you've got there, shame if something were to happen to it."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironically they hosed up the one AR feature I actually liked ages ago, where you can take photos of your Pokemon 'in' real life places, which actually I think got me to quit.

Wow what the gently caress

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
And to think, we used to lament our absentee ownership.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Voyager I posted:

And to think, we used to lament our absentee ownership.

Thing is, Jeffrey has actually done a hell of a job since taking over. He's up front and honest about what the site takes in. He's actively trying to make it better technologically. He's not just using it to spite his enemies.

Something Awful is actually a really good example of how to take over a website and not scare everyone away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I mean, Niantic is basically printing money but because they don't want to shift focus to becoming a game company and keep pushing the AR aspect, they are smashing the money printing machine and pissing on the remains and don't understand why no one will pay anymore.

They could literally revert the changes made just to remote passes and probably bring in another few million dollars from that alone. But the steady erosion of the free or cheap fun has taken a toll, and the repeated raid bosses and boring events don't help.

If not for Pokemon Go, I doubt their company would even be around anymore. I never hear of people playing Ingress anymore.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A classic case of being at the right race but betting on the wrong horse. AR as a concept is currently dead in the water, but there is perennial money in gaming. If they'd just be pragmatic they would be printing cash, but no, they have a ~vision~

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nianti is in a pretty perilous position that their company basically exists only because Nintendo allows them to. Doesn’t excuse whatever garbage they’re pulling with that game, but they absolutely should be scrambling to cut that existential dependency.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Management at Niantic is incredibly loving dumb and they think that they're the reason for a couple of their games being successful. They got lucky with Ingress, completely misunderstand why it was popular, and continuously made it worse. The Pokemon IP was a gift handed to them on a silver platter and because they're so incredibly stupid they've managed to turn down the flow of the cash-firehose several times. They were taking in over a billion dollars a year during COVID and decided to shut that down.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Potter game probably could have done it, but TERF Queen and all.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

The Potter game probably could have done it, but TERF Queen and all.

But it did

https://www.ign.com/articles/hogwarts-legacy-has-amassed-over-1-billion

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

No, it didn’t.

https://www.polygon.com/22759539/harry-potter-wizards-unite-shutting-down-date-niantic

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my wife and I were moderate Pokémon Go players early on, and she still plays it a lot, but the only time Niantic really made player friendly moves proactively was when Covid first hit and they made stuff easy to do remotely.

They ironically could have stuck with that and made a lot of money, but decided no, everything has to go back to in person and also we’re gonna jack up the prices. Just morons all around, you can always tell that no one in the company actually plays the game.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Well that explains it, this is my first time hearing this exists.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, my wife and I were moderate Pokémon Go players early on, and she still plays it a lot, but the only time Niantic really made player friendly moves proactively was when Covid first hit and they made stuff easy to do remotely.

They ironically could have stuck with that and made a lot of money, but decided no, everything has to go back to in person and also we’re gonna jack up the prices. Just morons all around, you can always tell that no one in the company actually plays the game.

Niantic is so, so loving dumb. They could literally do nothing at all and reap a billion dollars a year but they just have to poke around and change things so the middle managers feel important.

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Jul 3, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MisterOblivious posted:

Niantic is so, so loving dumb. They could literally do nothing at all and reap a billion dollars a year but they just have to poke around and change things so the middle managers feel important.

My husband plays pokemon go somewhat often and that seems 100% correct, all they need to do is keep adding new pokemon and yet every update seems worse than the last

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Silly Burrito posted:

Thing is, Jeffrey has actually done a hell of a job since taking over. He's up front and honest about what the site takes in. He's actively trying to make it better technologically. He's not just using it to spite his enemies.

Something Awful is actually a really good example of how to take over a website and not scare everyone away.

lmao where have you been for the last six or seven months

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Pokémon Gon’t

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rockman Reserve posted:

lmao where have you been for the last six or seven months

Gotta admit, not having "please pay for my polyurethane spine that definitely isn't going to my Luxury Cookie Addiction" fundraising definitely is a step up even ignoring the rest. The forums have not actually gotten worse (afaict anyway) nor has El Jeffre demanded a monthly subscription for Awful Blue to have a little grenade next to your name or whatever.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
its weird that mobile game AR stuff keeps trying to be a thing when boring industry AR stuff is still not a thing. its trying to invert the pattern of boring work stuff coming first and than dumb fun things coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PhazonLink posted:

its weird that mobile game AR stuff keeps trying to be a thing when boring industry AR stuff is still not a thing. its trying to invert the pattern of boring work stuff coming first and than dumb fun things coming out.

It's so frustrating, too! Meta kept showing all kinds of cocktease ads for useful AR stuff, cases where it made sense for education, design, medical poo poo, whatever. Instead of actually *doing* any of that, they've sunk billions of dollars and work hours into making Second Life but shittier.