Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

This is my take. They have two clearly different ideas of what a marriage is.

She's the type who's sees it as similar to a career choice: you find the most suitable applicant for the position.

Is she? We only have two data points:

Back before they got serious, he was the best guy she had ever dated, but she still had to think about it.

Currently they are engaged and about to have their first baby and she is crazy in love with him.

Did she set out to marry him come hell or high water, and just happened to fortuitously fall in love too? Or did she decide to let the relationship develop organically, fall in love, and then decide to get married? You can't really say based on those two points.

Obviously her preference was to have love, marriage, and family but it's purely conjecture whether she was actually willing to sacrifice love for the sake of having a marriage and bearing children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Can't believe that woman discussed a guy's qualities with someone and then went on to develop a loving relationship with him after giving it due consideration. What a monster.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

FMguru posted:

Another mom of the year candidate checking in.

AITA for initially not believing my son when he said he was sick?

Oh, well, if it was an honest mistake that you decided based on nothing that your son was faking a serious medical issue and blew him off, then you're in the clear OP!

well good news, lady: you're about to get a lot more time with the kid you actually care about

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

GF: Man, I really want kids, so I guess I should get serious about one of these guys I'm dating.

Friend: Who are you thinking might be the best guy of the bunch?

GF: Well, I've been seeing Tom, Jim, and Harry...

Friend: Okay, so what's Tom like?

GF: He's the shortest and oldest of them all. To be honest I'm not into [bearded guys] but he looks pretty good! Plus he's good in bed and he has a great career.

blah blah blah

Like, I think it's understandable to be hurt about being evaluated on your qualities in the early stages of dating, especially if it's about physical attributes that you can't change (like age or height). I think storming off instead of asking your gf and hearing her tell you this was right before you guys got serious, and how she fell in love with you, and how she's now having your kid etc was a bit over the top. There are a lot of ways he would've been more justified in his response, like if she never treated him well, or if he was an obvious second choice to some other guy who broke up with her or it didn't work out with. But that's like the opposite here, he turned out to be the best candidate. I guess a lot of people would also be mad at someone dating multiple people at once before going into an exclusive relationship, but if you're at the point where you're about to have a kid with someone that feels like something you can probably safely work on getting over.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cerekk posted:

16/14 violates the half-plus-seven rule; 15/14 and 16/15 don't. Mom would have been fine on your 17th birthday.
Depends on how old Mom is, doesn't it?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There's also the fact that dude shoulda just factory reset the phone instead of using her giving him her old phone as an excuse to snoop through all her old private conversations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA if I proposed to my friend in front of everyone

quote:

I (16f) proposed to my friend (17m) in class. We had been friends for over a year and i knew his stance on dating (he wanted an arranged marriage) this is pretty standard in our society.

I had a small crush on him that I told him about but I also told him that it's not serious at all and that I'm not interested in dating, especially since I knew he wasn't into dating either. Neither was he interested in me.

My friend dared me to propose to him and that night as we were texting, I told him I got him a ring and I was going to give it to him in class. He asked "on one knee?" I said "don't ruin the surprise. I later brought it up again that I would propose to him in front of everyone because I didn't want him to freak out, though I didn't expect him to. I knew I was breaking the terms of the dare but I didn't want him getting the wring impression despite the fact that I've repeated to him that I would never date someone at my age.

The day came and I proposed to him in front of everyone. He took the ring and tried it on and said that it didn't fit him. I said keep it and left. That recess, I bugged him with a stick, as friends do. His other guy friends wanted to know more about the proposal but I refused to sit with them, thinking he would handle it.

When it was time to go home, he told me to take the ring back and when I asked why he told me that he didn't want it. When I got home, I saw his texts that said that he did not want to give me the impression that he wanted to date me because he didn't. He was apologising for rejecting me and saying that he never expected it to get like this and that everyone thinks we want to elope.

I spammed him with texts about how I had told him about the dare the night before and how I wouldn't marry at this age anyway and when he saw the texts, he was like oh my god I forgot. I told him that he embarrassed me in front of all our friends by returning the ring and he apologised for it and said that I shouldn't have done it in front of everyone because it hurt his reputation. I told him it was in the terms of the dare. He said that he wanted to maintain a good image and when i teased him about ruining his image, started begging me not to do anything again, telling me I was running his reputation.

I told him that he was trying to appease people that didn't care for him and that he knows the truth so he shouldn't be concerned about what others think. Then I started ignoring him.

My friends say that he overreacted and that I shouldn't have to tell people that I don't want to marry them at this age. One of my friends says that I did the wrong thing in the traditional environment of our country and that he was bound to react this way. Aita?

Edit: this might be a petty addition but when I saw that he was continuing his casual responses upon me telling him the night b4 that I'll be proposing to him, I thought that meant that he was fine with it. I told him TWICE. He was like sure whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
what

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
teenagers are so weird

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA if I proposed to my friend in front of everyone

quote:

That recess, I bugged him with a stick, as friends do

:confused:

Why did you add ten years to your ages, and how did you learn to type so well

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITB for getting mad that she's dating other guys

quote:

This woman (45) and I (41M) were dating for four months. Things got a little bumpy for both of us, I blew up at her and nearly broke it off ..then we had another disagreement and she ended up calling it off. A week later she contacted me trying to get back together and I wasn't ready. I told her that I needed to work on myself and wasn't ready for a relationship. She didn't want to accept no for an answer because she was so in love with me. So I left things ambiguous. I didn't want to label the relationship. Over the next few weeks I made attempts at connecting with her. I took her on a few dates, slept over at her house. Today, four weeks later, I find out she's been on dating apps, dated multiple guys, and has even slept with one of them. I feel like she cheated on me and can't look at her the same way. I want to end it for good. She says, it wasn't cheating bc I told her I didn't want a relationship, and that she wouldn't have been on the dating apps had I defined the relationship. AITB

ETA: I just feel that the timing was really sus. She admitted to jumping on the apps the day after we broke up. I think she should have waited for a few weeks to process the break up. But doing that so fast makes me question everything. She claims she did it so fast because she was "heartbroken" I think she's just being....loose.

ETA: Okay fine, apparently IATB. But come on, she screwed some dude and then slept with me the NEXT day. That's some sociopathic behavior. I told her I wanted nothing to do with her if she can't even have remorse for putting my health at risk. She said she was being safe with the other dude but I can't even believe a word she says anymore. I'm so done with this woman.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Is everyone in AITA just doubling their ages now?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay fine I accept but also let me repeat myself just in case that changes your mind

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Willow posted:

WE WERE ON A BREAK

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
you know, i don't really want to label this as a :airquote:relationship:airquote:

okay well i'm gonna go :airquote:gently caress other guys:airquote:

shockedpikachu.tga

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Captain Hygiene posted:

:confused:

Why did you add ten years to your ages, and how did you learn to type so well

Yeah that was when I gave up and clicked the spoilers. Is recess a thing past elementary school in non-USA countries, or did I miss out?

Also find it odd that in a culture that does arranged marriages, a woman would do a bent-knee proposal to a guy anyway. I blame the internet poisoning young people's minds globally for the sake of "funny prank!" Otherwise none of this makes sense to me.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

almost a shame that she was smarter than to take him out of the dating pool.

But for real, if you refuse to define a relationship as monogamous or refuse to "put a label" on what you have or whatever, then you don't have the right to expect exclusivity from the other person. :shrug: Hell in uni an ex and I broke up for like a week, and then he admitted later he had slept with his ex during that week because he was worried she'd tell me or something. I was like, ok, and? Why would I care? We were literally not together at that moment, lol.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Also find it odd that in a culture that does arranged marriages, a woman would do a bent-knee proposal to a guy anyway. I blame the internet poisoning young people's minds globally for the sake of "funny prank!" Otherwise none of this makes sense to me.

I talked to an Punjabi doctor who was born and raised in the States about it, since I thought it was interesting that someone with very progressive views on gender would be doing the arranged marriage thing. She explained that it's more like dating, but the people you date have to be approved by your parents.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Elviscat posted:

I talked to an Punjabi doctor who was born and raised in the States about it, since I thought it was interesting that someone with very progressive views on gender would be doing the arranged marriage thing. She explained that it's more like dating, but the people you date have to be approved by your parents.

there was some redditor who explained arranged marriages like "it's like tinder, but tinder is your parents", and i thought that was a p good way to explain it. it's a lot less bad than you imagine when you hear the phrase "arranged marriage"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Yeah, I could use help getting an arranged marriage. It sounds a lot easier than asking everyone you see "are you married?" And then following up with "you wanna get married?" to the ones that say no.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Fatty posted:

In the comments it turns out was stomach ulcers which take a while to develop and probably explains why he was moody and not eating for a month. So she only acknowledged it when he was literally desperately crying for help from a person who has failed him in the past.

And even then, the way she responded, all the kid would really hear is "gently caress you, you loving gently caress, I'd prefer if you'd loving die in a ditch. You sister, the literal living god, is obviously far too important. Now gently caress off and die."

She's going around going "i did a oopsie-fucky-wucky uWu" and "how many giftie-wifties should I give my boy to make it up to him?" Like, gently caress you, lady. I look forward to seeing the update where she's absolutely baffled as to why her son doesn't talk to her, and he either hung up on her blocked her number the last time she called him or called her some choice names before hanging up and blocking.

AITA for not switching seats?

quote:

I boarded the train from London to Paris yesterday with my family, and when we got to our booked and assigned table seats there were 3 Americans sitting there from a big tour group.

Their argument was that someone had taken their seats (and they wouldn't tell me which seats were originally theirs), but as I had a 5 year old and a 9 year old with me and didn't want to be separated for two hours I refused to give up our designated seats and forced them to move.

When we got off at the other end the girls gave me huge stink eye.

Was I the rear end in a top hat?

Posted solely for the stupid joke I thought of, which was "USA means ur seat is ares!"

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 2, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Foo Diddley posted:

there was some redditor who explained arranged marriages like "it's like tinder, but tinder is your parents", and i thought that was a p good way to explain it. it's a lot less bad than you imagine when you hear the phrase "arranged marriage"

I still think fondly of the story where the guy was tired of his parents nagging him about setting up an arranged marriage, so he pretended to be gay. And they promptly brought out the binder full of gay dudes and as he was browsing it he was like, huh. And by the end he is dating/engaged to a cute guy. :3:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Fatty posted:

In the comments it turns out was stomach ulcers which take a while to develop and probably explains why he was moody and not eating for a month. So she only acknowledged it when he was literally desperately crying for help from a person who has failed him in the past.

He was probably working himself to the bone and stressing himself out so much he got ulcers in order to achieve that academic excellence because he wanted to be noticed over the adult sister that still got all his mother's time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

edogawa rando posted:

And even then, the way she responded, all the kid would really hear is "gently caress you, you loving gently caress, I'd prefer if you'd loving die in a ditch. You sister, the literal living god, is obviously far too important. Now gently caress off and die."

She's going around going "i did a oopsie-fucky-wucky uWu" and "how many giftie-wifties should I give my boy to make it up to him?" Like, gently caress you, lady. I look forward to seeing the update where she's absolutely baffled as to why her son doesn't talk to her, and he either hung up on her blocked her number the last time she called him.
The sister is such the gravitational center of mom's universe that her first instinct when her son starts showing worrying health symptoms is that it must have something to do with his sister, that he's just jealous of how much attention she's getting. The thought that hey, maybe there is something really wrong with your other kid never crossed her mind. Scapegoat kid moaning about something? Aw, he's just bullshitting for attention (I noticed there were precisely zero examples of the son faking things for attention that she could cite). And she defends this thought process as an 'honest mistake'!

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My (25F) girlfriend of 3 years gave me (29M) an ultimatum that we must start having unprotected sex, and she’s not on birth control

quote:

I have been dating my girlfriend for 3 years and the last 2 she has been wanting to get more intimate by not using a condom. But the problem is that she doesn’t use any birth control, she just tracks cycles.

I respect her decision to not use birth control but she doesn’t seem to respect that I want to at least use 1 form of decent protection like a condom. She said if anything happens she could just handle it and get an abortion. I do not want a kid, I am fine with abortions but I really don’t want to have to deal with it or use that as our form of birth control. I think cycle tracking somewhat works but it can’t be used as a birth control replacement. I have had condomless sex with exes on birth control so I am fine with it but not with zero protection at all.

She recently gave me a ultimatum that if I don’t start at least trying to have sex without a condom in her non fertile window then by new years she will break up with me.

She told me she doesn’t feel our relationship growing anymore, she doesn’t want to have sex as much because of the condom situation. I love her like crazy and have felt the opposite that we are growing. I feel numb and don’t know what to do or say we have this argument weekly, and it honestly kinda hurts me.

I was thinking about getting a couples therapist, is that a good idea? Should I just stand my ground and keep telling her it doesn’t make me comfortable which will lead to her breaking up with me? I have nobody to get advice for this so I need a helping hand from Reddit or a therapist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pull out (of the relationship)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

The sister is such the gravitational center of mom's universe that her first instinct when her son starts showing worrying health symptoms is that it must have something to do with his sister, that he's just jealous of how much attention she's getting. The thought that hey, maybe there is something really wrong with your other kid never crossed her mind. Scapegoat kid moaning about something? Aw, he's just bullshitting for attention (I noticed there were precisely zero examples of the son faking things for attention that she could cite). And she defends this thought process as an 'honest mistake'!

One of my coworkers' daughters has type-1 diabetes and has for many years, but her younger brother does not. Coworker told me it is a struggle with them now, when before they got along so well, because the boy keeps seeing his sister getting Special Treatment. It's not easy for anyone, but it often reminds me not just of the golden children poo poo, but how some parents drop caring for their older kids when a new baby comes.

My mom had a friend whose entire world was her daughter, until she adopted a baby. Then everything was about that kid, every social media post, every picture, everything. Her daughter stopped existing save in relation to how jealous she was of her perfect new brother.

AITA for having rules for my stepdaughter?

quote:

My husband (42M) and I (33F) have his daughter, (11F) for a week. I’m fine with this, and have absolutely zero problem with her being here, her mother works full time and so does her brother and she’s too young to stay alone all day.

The issue came about today when I laid down rules for her while she’s here. I don’t think they’re unreasonable but my husband and stepdaughter think they are.

Here they are;

no electronics after 11:00pm (that’s no laptop, tablet, switch, etc. she can have a movie on for bed, but I set the timer and take the remote or she’ll stay up all night)

awake and out of bed by 11:00am (or she’ll sleep all day)

3 hour’s maximum on her tablet each day

she can’t stay in her room all day

she helps clean up after dinner (putting dishes in the dishwasher)

practice basic hygiene (she’s in the throes of puberty and is in the “I don’t wanna shower/brush my hair/teeth etc. phase)

That’s it. That’s literally it. But apparently I’m “being too harsh” because it’s “summertime”. I’ve also spoken with her mother and she agrees with me on the rules and says they have the same at their house so I’m not sure why I’m being met with so much push back from husband and child.

So, AITA here?

Edit for some extra clarity;

when I spoke with her mother, my husband was in the room and I had her mother on speaker, he heard the whole conversation

he initially agreed to help enforce these rules, but changed his stance at the SD’s first tantrum

these are the same rules she has at her mothers house

we’ve been together for 5 and a half years

these were not set out of spite, they were set for consistency

Looks like someone wants to be the Fun Parents and Evil Women won't let him not have rules!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Evil Willow posted:

My (25F) girlfriend of 3 years gave me (29M) an ultimatum that we must start having unprotected sex, and she’s not on birth control

Op should tell her that if she doesn’t get on the pill by thanksgiving, he is breaking up with her.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

FMguru posted:

And she defends this thought process as an 'honest mistake'!

There are some people in the comments who are categorizing her actions as an isolated mistake, one that she shouldn't be punished for since no parents are perfect, even though the kid's reaction is due to long running neglect.

Time after time I see someone excuse obvious parental shortcomings with the excuse of "You don't know it is to be a parent". "I did my best" as an explanation is more damning than they know, "But your best wasn't good enough" is the obvious answer.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

edgeman83 posted:

There are some people in the comments who are categorizing her actions as an isolated mistake, one that she shouldn't be punished for since no parents are perfect, even though the kid's reaction is due to long running neglect.

Time after time I see someone excuse obvious parental shortcomings with the excuse of "You don't know it is to be a parent". "I did my best" as an explanation is more damning than they know, "But your best wasn't good enough" is the obvious answer.
At no point in the month that he was getting progressively sicker and showing worrying symptoms (like not eating - at the age where teenage boys have a tendency to eat half their weight in a single meal and then ask for seconds!) did she turn to him and said "Sweetie, is something wrong? Are you feeling okay?". She just jumped straight to the assumption that he must just be a surly jealous teen lashing out for attention.

She literally admits that she doesn't pay enough attention to her son, and yet when her son starts acting oddly, he assumption is that he wants attention, which she immediately refuses to give to him. Her response to knowing that she's ignoring her son is to ignore him even harder when he reaches out for some help. Incredible.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Evil Willow posted:

therapy or running away are the smart choices, but imo he should tell her he's going to get a vasectomy just to see what she does

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

WE WERE ON A BREAK

I see people post this a lot. I know it's from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Does it mean that "we were on break so it should be acceptable to sleep with other people" or "even though we were on break, but that doesn't mean it was acceptable to sleep with other people" ?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Foo Diddley posted:

I had a few friends from India in grad school and they explained it basically the same way. It’s not like the parents pick a partner for them and bam they’re now married without any input. They just goto their parents and say “hey I think I’m ready to settle down/meet someone” and the parents ask around their friends and make some phone calls. Kinda like having a friend set you up with a blind date. Both of the people involved can still back out if they meet and it’s not gonna work.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nebrilos posted:

I see people post this a lot. I know it's from F.R.I.E.N.D.S. Does it mean that "we were on break so it should be acceptable to sleep with other people" or "even though we were on break, but that doesn't mean it was acceptable to sleep with other people" ?

i think, having not watched the show, the idea was there was a couple who were On A Break and one of them slept with another person, but it was not cheating because they weren't together, but the other one called it cheating?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nebrilos posted:

The male character that said the line meant it the first way, the female character that he said it to found that justification ridiculous, as did the mostly female audience of the show.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Relationship feeling stale? Try spicing things up by flirting with unwanted pregnancy

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Nebrilos posted:

Ross and Rachel have a big fight and she suggests they take a break. Ross goes out that night, drinks too much, and hooks up with some rando.

Also, it isn't an acronym, doof.

e: vvv That's a better explanation

erosion fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 2, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cowslips Warren posted:

i think, having not watched the show, the idea was there was a couple who were On A Break and one of them slept with another person, but it was not cheating because they weren't together, but the other one called it cheating?

Yup. A relationship pause after an argument during which the guy thought the girl was with someone so it must mean a breakup, so he picked someone up "as well". Then when they reconciled a day later it came out and every time they have an argument in the rest of the series it gets brought up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm Nick Fury, director of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I'm here to talk to you about the AITA Initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Evil Willow posted:

Abort! Aboooooooooort!