Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I always thought Nullarbor was a first nations word, but it's literally Latin for no trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

My old housemate did customer service on those trains. They are essentially cruise ships, with similar excursions and a similar age demographic. At least the long routes like Adel-Bris or the Ghan were.

From the prices, that checks out, though the Overland is actually comparable to flights price-wise. ...but with a 50% concession discount like the buses, huh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jestery posted:

I always thought Nullarbor was a first nations word, but it's literally Latin for no trees

lol they couldn't find a single thing there to name it after.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jestery posted:

"Null arbor"

Holy gently caress, how could I not see this

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Nullarborists as well, but apparently that fact wasn't important enough to name it after.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

"Null arbor"

this is hosed

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

"Null arbor"

a tree lawyers nightmare

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Wait till you find out we've been saying Kosiusko wrong the whole time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Everest too

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

webmeister posted:

Everest too

and ikea

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

webmeister posted:

Everest too

Heh I love that, whenever a pristine Ford Everest cuts in front of me, laden with Supercheap accessories and a Built Not Bought sticker, I'm like "hoho I bet they don't know it's pronounced Eeeeve rst"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kunama Namadgi?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The Overland is just an intercity service, it gets some regular people jumping on board the regional stations to head to either city.

And when Covid hit SA didn't want to pay their half, so Vic now covers the operating costs of the Overland, mainly as a tourism generator for Melbourne.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

The Overland is just an intercity service, it gets some regular people jumping on board the regional stations to head to either city.

And when Covid hit SA didn't want to pay their half, so Vic now covers the operating costs of the Overland, mainly as a tourism generator for Melbourne.

Yeah it's a lot more threadbare and utilitarian than something like the Ghan. It's kind of a novelty in Australia to buy food and booze on a train though if you're used to metro services

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chrpno posted:

Heh I love that, whenever a pristine Ford Everest cuts in front of me, laden with Supercheap accessories and a Built Not Bought sticker, I'm like "hoho I bet they don't know it's pronounced Eeeeve rst"

It's Sagarmatha. Or Chomolungma.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah it's a lot more threadbare and utilitarian than something like the Ghan. It's kind of a novelty in Australia to buy food and booze on a train though if you're used to metro services

There were no buffet cars on the Overland when I was little. There used to be a 20 minute stop at Ballarat where people got off the train to buy their pies and cups of tea.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There's a story that Canberra is a koori word for cleavage, and it's called that because it's in a valley between two mountains. If anyone knows that that's not true I won't believe you because it's too cool to be false

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's Sagarmatha. Or Chomolungma.

Lungma?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Peccadillo posted:

There's a story that Canberra is a koori word for cleavage, and it's called that because it's in a valley between two mountains. If anyone knows that that's not true I won't believe you because it's too cool to be false

koori just really loved titties

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://twitter.com/hausofdecline/status/1673528399279579140

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If I lived outside of Adelaide (I do), I would be extremely disdainful of anyone living in Adelaide (I am). loving losers

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
I spent my 20s and some of my 30s travelling for work and ended up living in every state capital for between 1 and 3 years. Adelaide is actually a p nice place to live. My rankings are as such, from best to worst:
1. Melbourne
2. Adelaide
3. Perth
4. Brisbane
5. Hobart
6. Literally every other place in Aus
7. Sydney

:colbert:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How do people who live in Sydney not murder the toll road company?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How do people who live in Sydney not murder the toll road company?

Deep down Sydney people know they deserve to be Punished for the crime of living in Sydney?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Sydneys fine, I live near the beach in a house I can afford the mortgage on, my commute is 15 minutes drive with no tolls and that's like once a fortnight anyway. I'd insert my one weird trick here but my parents died about 12 years ago and left me nothing but cleaning up their debts so I guess I just lucked out dropping out of university in Perth to go work in a niche IT adjacent industry that bought me here in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All the actual rich fucks in Adelaide live up in the hills or down by the coast.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the distinctive old stone buildings in Adelaide
It really feels like a place where the desert isn't that far away

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

I like the distinctive old stone buildings in Adelaide
It really feels like a place where the desert isn't that far away

Yeah, like 5km, before the end of the northern suburbs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, like 5km, before the end of the northern suburbs

Pretty sure that's all swamp.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure that's all swamp.

All I remember is sand and dirt where crops might grow once a decade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

All I remember is sand and dirt where crops might grow once a decade.

You miiiight be a few hours off, absolutely that further north though. That's the land I grew up on in Eyre Peninsula! It sucks!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I actually quite liked Eyre Peninsula when we went through a couple of years back, nice little chilled out coastal towns. Whyalla sucks and Port Lincoln wasn't much better, but all the other little spots were quite cool. Though I can imagine it wasn't a great place to grow up

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Beardcrumb posted:

I spent my 20s and some of my 30s travelling for work and ended up living in every state capital for between 1 and 3 years. Adelaide is actually a p nice place to live. My rankings are as such, from best to worst:
1. Melbourne
2. Adelaide
3. Perth
4. Brisbane
5. Hobart
7. Sydney

What about Darwin? I was only there for a few days and didn't get to really drink it in but it had a really weird vibe. Fun, but weird.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Beardcrumb posted:

1. Melbourne
2. Adelaide
3. Perth
4. Brisbane
5. Hobart
7. Sydney

No Canberra option?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Outrail posted:

What about Darwin? I was only there for a few days and didn't get to really drink it in but it had a really weird vibe. Fun, but weird.

That's cause everyone is either drunk, or high on meth, trying to forget they live in Darwin.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You miiiight be a few hours off, absolutely that further north though. That's the land I grew up on in Eyre Peninsula! It sucks!

Just remember everything looked shithouse from Lower Light onwards. We got hit my a dust tornado on the way to Moonta once, there wasn't even grass anywhere.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blow posted:

No Canberra option?

No-one lives in Canberra.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Outrail posted:

That's because everyone there knows that we will give them up the second someone invades from the north

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Non Compos Mentis posted:

That's because everyone there knows that we will give them up the second someone invades from the north

I for one welcome our new Tiwi overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Blow posted:

No Canberra option?

Never lived in Canberra or Darwin, only state capitals.

Canberra is only home to bogans, politicians, and bogan politicians. I don't really fit into any of those demographics.

I've visited Darwin and besides the despicable humidity, I quite enjoyed the people and atmosphere. Not sure if I'd ever live there though.