Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khanstant posted:

Pretty sure the rule is person who suggests that is obligated to make it

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Finished a few things:

1. The Bear S02 - Great stuff, I want more. I would have liked to have seen Joel McHale's character featured more, that would have been really interesting. Whoever made this show needs to do another similar series, maybe in an ER.

2. Fringe. A Fringe Binge. John Noble owns.

Also, Perry Mason S01, THEM, and nearly done with season 1 of Only Murders in the Building.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Figured that I would run into some subtitle fatigue....but I'm finding 'Dark' on Netflix (lots of good recommendations for it here) to be very bingeable. Only through the first few episodes....but I'm locked in. Very intriguing show.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Norse Code posted:

ugh holy moly this episode FLOORED me.

I couldn't make it all the way through. The level of concentrated, claustrophobic anxiety was too loving much. Jesus Christ.

Escobarbarian posted:

It was phenomenal. The next episode is almost as good, for very different reasons.

Yes!

And then the next episode...gently caress.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Figured that I would run into some subtitle fatigue....but I'm finding 'Dark' on Netflix (lots of good recommendations for it here) to be very bingeable. Only through the first few episodes....but I'm locked in. Very intriguing show.

Dark is an all time great. It’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever watched

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I just finished watching Salvation. I knew it got cancelled before I started but it was still an enjoyable watch as background TV. John Noble's character's accent was bizarre, though. His accent would change within scenes, going from vaguely Eastern European to Welsh and then a very broad Australian accent.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm in the middle of that 90s "classic" Cop Rock. For those who do not know, it's a generic police procedural wherein the cast will break into song (and sometimes dance) 4-5 times per episode. The acting is hilariously bad.

Also, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adU_wPjodbM

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Blindspot, the show where a tatted amnesiac teams up with the FBI to solve puzzle crimes, is the dumbest loving poo poo and I cannot stop watching.

The tatoo puzzles allow the show to just do whatever the gently caress they want and it rarely ever has to make any kind of sense. An early episode reveals that SARS was built in a New York lab by two of the highest ranking members of the CDC, who then released it on the world. Oh and MERS. And Ebola. And half a dozen other outbreaks. Just these two dudes. They try to release super measles in NYC and the leads trap it between a plastic bag and some carpet... good luck cleaning that ferry terminal.

Several episodes later an the Puzzle Agents follow a tatoo to a fictional island in the Dead Sea, where they randomly find a downed passenger plane. A wasp themed terrorist group is forcing the survivors to make futuristic spy sattelites, which will allow the waspmen to take control of... the space. Somehow this leads to a passenger plane version of Speed.

The whole thing is jingoistic nonsense par excellence, and the show might as well have three leads given how frequently it just forgets that the others even exist. There's this one poor dude in particular, who seemingly just exists to do really bad therapy in an office that's halfway between the Apple Store and a nuclear explosion. Everyone else is just some sort of corrupt goon.

But I can't stop it. It's like chips.

Edit: it's not even season two and they've given up on the tattoo conceit. The FBI Puzzle Agents are doing an art heist.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 28, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm in the middle of that 90s "classic" Cop Rock. For those who do not know, it's a generic police procedural wherein the cast will break into song (and sometimes dance) 4-5 times per episode. The acting is hilariously bad.

Also, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adU_wPjodbM

People have to keep in mind the pedigree of this show. It wasn't some weird idea crapped out by some rando. The only reason this abortion got green lit is because it was made by Steven Bochco, apparently in the throes of a serious cocaine binge. This is the guy behind Hill St. Blues, LA Law, NYPD Blue, bona fide classics, and many others for Christ's sake.

And the opening. What is happening? Is it in universe? If so, why are a bunch of cops hanging out watching Randy Newman record a horrible song (that is not rock, I mean, it's loving Randy Newman). If it's not in universe, what are we doing? Why are you forcing the cast to sit around and act like they are enjoying the hell out of this dreck? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXyw4pdOGyE

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Copera!

Policical!

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I just saw that the new season of Warrior dropped!!! I had forgot it didn’t get cut during the Max takeover and was actually coming out. I’m absolutely chuffed!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

clown shoes posted:

Copera!

Policical!

Love is not admissible evidence!

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Robobot posted:

I just saw that the new season of Warrior dropped!!! I had forgot it didn’t get cut during the Max takeover and was actually coming out. I’m absolutely chuffed!

Such good news. New (full) season of 'Ten Year Old Tom' out too.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
DELETE on Netflix. You find a camera that deletes whoever you photograph from existence. Do you:

A) Become a vigilante superhero who erases corrupt public figures and has to deal with the occasional unintended consequences.
or
B) Go on a thrilling and dangerous adventure to discover the mysterious origins of this and possibly other mysterious artifacts that are all connected somehow.
or
C) Wallow in moody drama as you consider erasing lovers/friends/relatives/yourself.

Sorry, it's C. Also the pacing and line delivery is painfully, egregiously slow. Do yourself a favor and watch it on 1.5x speed, if you watch it at all.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Buttchocks posted:

DELETE on Netflix. You find a camera that deletes whoever you photograph from existence. Do you:

A) Become a vigilante superhero who erases corrupt public figures and has to deal with the occasional unintended consequences.
or
B) Go on a thrilling and dangerous adventure to discover the mysterious origins of this and possibly other mysterious artifacts that are all connected somehow.
or
C) Wallow in moody drama as you consider erasing lovers/friends/relatives/yourself.

Sorry, it's C. Also the pacing and line delivery is painfully, egregiously slow. Do yourself a favor and watch it on 1.5x speed, if you watch it at all.

That sounds like a sci-fi novel, War of Omission, I read back in the 80s.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Buttchocks posted:

or
or

That’s just a goosebumps book

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Buttchocks posted:

or
or

Option B sounds like that short lived series The Lost Room, which ruled and was my entre into SCP type stuff (and predated Warehouse 13 by a few years)

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I just started From (on MGM+ which used to be Epix) and this show is totally my jam. Mystery box horror with some sci-fi elements. It's basically a high concept episode of Twilight Zone/Fringe/X-Files with Shyamalanian elements (he is not involved) crossed with It Follows. Been a while since there was a horror series I wanted to binge.

Strong acting, led by Harold Perrineau, who really shines as leading man. Lots of shadows of :lost: besides Perrineau (people from all over trapped in a location, others, questions) but so far I've been hooked halfway through season one. Apparently season two gets even better. Synopsis below:

quote:

In a nightmarish town in Middle America that traps everyone who enters, unwilling residents strive to stay alive and search for a way out, plagued by terrifying nocturnal creatures from the surrounding forest and secrets hidden in the town.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
From is much better binged than watched weekly, I’ll say that much.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Ran across an around 15 year old show called The Dresden Files. I listened to several of the Jim Butcher books on long drives and they're pretty fun. Kind of a campy noire style with a PI who happens to be a wizard. For the most part he's interacting with "normal" people who don't believe magic is a thing and think he's just a weirdo.

This show, however, is not great and I'm not surprised it only ran for one season. I'm usually all over supernatural crime shows (Lucifer, iZombie, etc) but woof. It also feels lower budget than it probably is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ten Year Old Tom remains hilarious in season 2. These Dildarian shows have some of the best dry delivery of all time

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched series 8 of Inside No 9. Still in awe of how they just keep putting out episodes with a unique story or perspective of this quality, year after year. I took the opportunity to rewatch some favourites with a buddy of mine and even the first series still holds up well. The "gently caress me, a ghost" line in the Hamlet episode still got a big laugh out of me.

When I started the second series of The Bear I watched 5 episodes and thought, well, they sure dialed it back from series one. Then, a few days later, I watched the second half. Turns out they were just taking a few steps back to get a good run in before pummeling the poo poo out of me, jesus gently caress. From Christmas to Forks to the finale, it just does not back down. I do have to wonder if a third series will actually have anything worth while to show for ten episodes.

Started Silo. So far, it's got all the dressings of a prestige scifi/speculative fiction show, but it's extremely derivative (there's obviously Fallout and Snowpiercer in there but even the music and opening theme make me think that I've seen this show before) to the point where it sometimes feels like a parody (they straight up refer to their ancestry as "The Before Times"). Very, very little thought has been put into the world building, or in how a community would evolve when shut off from the outside world for an extended period of time. All knowledge is supposedly lost in a sudden uprising where all books and files were destroyed, as if human knowledge is an entirely external thing we are dependent on and everyone just forgot and stopped talking about everything they knew the day before. Also, the silo itself is at first glance a closed ecosystem but there are zero signs of scarcity of goods or resources: people happily let taps run and sit around eating cake (for which, I assume, you need eggs so there's some kind of poultry livestock but when confronted with an image of birds one of the main characters goes "Oh there's things flying in the sky"). In short, it looks pretty, feels ominous, but I doubt it will deliver anything worth while by the time I've gotten through the whole thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just started Long Way Up. The third in the "Long way..." series where, this time, Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride electric motorcycles from the southern tip of Argentina to Los Angeles. Their backup vehicles are prototype Rivian electric trucks built especially for the show. Lots of great scenery so far. Ewan and Charley work well together.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Ran across an around 15 year old show called The Dresden Files. I listened to several of the Jim Butcher books on long drives and they're pretty fun. Kind of a campy noire style with a PI who happens to be a wizard. For the most part he's interacting with "normal" people who don't believe magic is a thing and think he's just a weirdo.

This show, however, is not great and I'm not surprised it only ran for one season. I'm usually all over supernatural crime shows (Lucifer, iZombie, etc) but woof. It also feels lower budget than it probably is.

Dresden Files flopped hard and they didn't learn anything when they did a Constantine/Hellblazer TV series. That one also had the same cheap SyFy show feel, which is a drat shame because the guy they got to play Constantine was really good

sad question
May 30, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Ten Year Old Tom remains hilarious in season 2. These Dildarian shows have some of the best dry delivery of all time

It's a true delight.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely. Still doesn't reach the heights of 'The Life and Times of Tim'....but it's hilarious.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Netflix pushed Suits at me, watched the pilot. I don't hate it, and saw there are 8 seasons, so that's something. If nothing else a good new stack of something to work through at my own pace. I kind of wish it were funny? Seems like there's room for it, tone is light enough, and the characters and office dynamic kinda already have that comedy workplace kinda energy

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Warrior is loving amazing and I can't believe I just found this. Polygon did a great feature on Andrew Koji that made me curious enough to check it out and wowza, I'm glad this got picked up for a third season.

It leans a bit into the cheesy side, but it's very self aware about it and it's got a ton of my favorite people. I laughed out loud at S1E6 where it abruptly took a turn into outright spaghetti western territory.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Toadsmash posted:

Warrior is loving amazing and I can't believe I just found this. Polygon did a great feature on Andrew Koji that made me curious enough to check it out and wowza, I'm glad this got picked up for a third season.

It leans a bit into the cheesy side, but it's very self aware about it and it's got a ton of my favorite people. I laughed out loud at S1E6 where it abruptly took a turn into outright spaghetti western territory.

Yes....it's very good. You should definitely check out 'Banshee' too. Jonathan Tropper's Cinemax show prior to this one. Same over the top, pulpy action.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Netflix pushed Suits at me, watched the pilot. I don't hate it, and saw there are 8 seasons, so that's something. If nothing else a good new stack of something to work through at my own pace. I kind of wish it were funny? Seems like there's room for it, tone is light enough, and the characters and office dynamic kinda already have that comedy workplace kinda energy

It's a legal soap opera. Attractive people yell at each other in melodramatic situations with terrible unnatural dialogue. If that's your thing dive in.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Khanstant posted:

I don't know if its on Netflix, but check out Boston Legal

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

Option B sounds like that short lived series The Lost Room, which ruled and was my entre into SCP type stuff (and predated Warehouse 13 by a few years)

the lost room loving ruled

I watched the first 4 episodes of Poker Face and it's fine but instantly knowing when someone's lying is such a crutch that immediately makes the show an order of magnitude worse than the worst episodes of Columbo.

I get that in a crime show you can overwhelmingly rely on the detective solving the crime by the end of the episode, but at least Columbo had to be clever about it rather than just muttering "bullshit!"

Why she doesn't immediately start asking everyone around if they had a hand in it whenever a body turns up around her makes no sense.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I'm a Virgo - wow this is good, on ep 2

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Fate Accomplice posted:

the lost room loving ruled

I watched the first 4 episodes of Poker Face and it's fine but instantly knowing when someone's lying is such a crutch that immediately makes the show an order of magnitude worse than the worst episodes of Columbo.

I get that in a crime show you can overwhelmingly rely on the detective solving the crime by the end of the episode, but at least Columbo had to be clever about it rather than just muttering "bullshit!"

Why she doesn't immediately start asking everyone around if they had a hand in it whenever a body turns up around her makes no sense.

She is not a cop or otherwise intrinsically motivated to solve crime, so she's not in a position of authority but rather vulnerability if she goes about questioning people.

Also, do you think it's bad that the audience knows who did it in shows like Columbo?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Meatgrinder posted:

She is not a cop or otherwise intrinsically motivated to solve crime, so she's not in a position of authority but rather vulnerability if she goes about questioning people.

Also, do you think it's bad that the audience knows who did it in shows like Columbo?

Isn't the complaint about the character's lack of strategy, rather than whether the audience knows of not?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't the complaint about the character's lack of strategy, rather than whether the audience knows of not?

Yes, which is what the first sentence of my post is about; the second sentence refers to the "worse than Columbo" bit.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I like the Poker Face conceit because it brings an entirely new storytelling dynamic to the genre. Since she isn't an actual detective, the only reason she even gets involved in the mystery to begin with is by immediately sussing out lies. And she can't really work with cops because she's keeping a low profile. The whole show is her brute forcing a way for killers to be exposed in a tiny amount of time. She's not elegant and she always confronts them at the worst times, but she's a very consistent character. The show pulls SO MUCH from Colombo that it needed a few twists to differentiate itself beyond a gender swapped protagonist.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm a Virgo - wow this is good, on ep 2

This show is so good and everyone needs to watch it. It only gets better from here.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Yo, I'm a Virgo is wild

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Rewatching Black Sails and wish we had more seasons or at least a spinoff with Silver getting into more shenanigans as he navigates through the final days of the Golden Age of Piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

MokBa posted:

I like the Poker Face conceit because it brings an entirely new storytelling dynamic to the genre. Since she isn't an actual detective, the only reason she even gets involved in the mystery to begin with is by immediately sussing out lies. And she can't really work with cops because she's keeping a low profile. The whole show is her brute forcing a way for killers to be exposed in a tiny amount of time. She's not elegant and she always confronts them at the worst times, but she's a very consistent character. The show pulls SO MUCH from Colombo that it needed a few twists to differentiate itself beyond a gender swapped protagonist.

Agreed, the lie detector conceit is fun and good. The whole show was delightful and will definitely make my top 10 end of year list.