Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

skipmyseashells posted:

they wanted to let him back here again even after the pedo meltdown, rime is apparently the MJ of climate change
You can't say that here. Take it to the discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I just want to grill launch the nukes goddammit!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Message received, the thread can't forgive me for calling out their pedo harbouring

You probably would have better luck if you didn't lead with a post that reminds people that they're grumpy about posting drama

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Car Hater posted:

I just want to grill launch the nukes goddammit!

I'm grilling right now bitch!

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

Just a Moron posted:

You probably would have better luck if you didn't lead with a post that reminds people that they're grumpy about posting drama

Nah, they are very pissed, even before I posted that. It is a little scary to be reviled by these people specifically. Rime is not above doxxing afterall

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't know who you are and I don't care. you're a tiresome poster and I'm here for biosphere collapse talk, not whatever it is you're trying to do

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Soggy Muffin posted:

r/collapse today is full of chuds who think trans rights and wokism will lead to collapse, as well as people who call you an eco fascist for pointing out that overshoot is our main problem, and people still in the early days of collapse awareness trying to bargain their way out of it with hopeful arguments. It’s gone to poo poo as it got more popular during Covid, and it will only get worse as normal people wake up and flock to it during whatever disasters are to come

I'm really miffed chuds have gone and ruined my apocalypse posting in this way, like when normies get in on my fave indie band, thus making it automatically suck. What can I lean into after we've collapsed this biosphere? Don't say "touch grass", it's on fire currently.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin

FistEnergy posted:

I don't know who you are and I don't care. you're a tiresome poster and I'm here for biosphere collapse talk, not whatever it is you're trying to do

Good for you, why don't you focus on that then big guy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Crossover Doomsday Econ + Biosphere Collapse

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/29/economy/el-nino-economic-impact/index.html

quote:

Climate event El Niño could hit the economy from food prices to clothing sales this year

quote:

“There are these major negative economic growth consequences where there’s extreme weather,” said Christopher Callahan, a Ph.D. candidate at Dartmouth and lead author on a study in the journal Science attributing $5.7 trillion in global income losses to the 1997-98 El Niño and $4.1 trillion in losses to the 1982-1983 El Niño.

quote:

That could affect prices for foods Americans eat every day: Futures in sugar and cocoa are trading at multi-year highs on predictions of shortages, while robusta coffee futures are trading at all-time highs. That can translate into higher prices for chocolate, for coffee and more. Higher food prices are a common theme across El Niño events, according to a recent Deutsche Bank report.

quote:

Callahan’s research for Dartmouth estimates that amplified El Niño patterns could produce “potentially devastating socioeconomic impacts” in the coming decades. He projects that El Niño weather events could cause $84 trillion in economic losses in the 21st century.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

when the biosphere collapses we'll still have the cringosphere to shelter us

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

imagine having the energy to sustain a multi-day meltdown despite being on probation for most of it

isn't everyone on this forum drat near 40?

there truly is cringe in the mariana trench

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Stereotype posted:

the thread can’t forgive anyone. what we’ve done to the planet is unforgivable.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

Prices were already out of control from corporate greed but the price jump resulting from crop devastation is rearing its ugly head in my area. I've seen cherries go for 11.99 a pound and strawberries for 6.99 a pound at the grocery stores. I cannot find a 16 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips under $6. The store-brand brown sugar I used to get jumped from $2 to $5.

Getting a flat of tayberries and some currants for $15 was basically an insane deal for me today.

Hoping all my powdered goods stay well in their jars

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hmmm, it would appear that there is some pretty important economic activity that occurs out of doors

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Canada's Durham wheat production is forecast to increase by 6.9% this year so pasta is secure. We're encouraged to check back every couple of weeks though, just to see how things are going.

Agricultural economists: "El Nino? Is that something that happens outside? :dafuq:

Some Western Producer hack posted:

However, farmers are going to need rain in the next few weeks or crops will become stressed due to the hot weather.

Imagine that.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hexigrammus posted:

Canada's Durham wheat production is forecast to increase by 6.9% this year so pasta is secure. We're encouraged to check back every couple of weeks though, just to see how things are going.

Agricultural economists: "El Nino? Is that something that happens outside? :dafuq:

Imagine that.

I buy my Durham wheat from North Carolina

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Just put the wheat in a greenhouse, geez.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Just a Moron posted:

Hmmm, it would appear that there is some pretty important economic activity that occurs out of doors

i have been assured by top officials that this is not the case. somethings not adding up here.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

FistEnergy posted:

i have been assured by top officials that this is not the case. somethings not adding up here.

::stoned top officials sitting on a couch at some giant glass building::

top official 1 hey you ever think that like, a doors a door man, like whats on one side whats on the other side, theres no inside or outside its all in where youre standing

top official 2 haha yeah.. like maybe the outdoors is the real indoors. wait. oh no oh gently caress no oh no oh no no oh no

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'll never get over that an economist confidently stated that the climate becoming randomized and chaotic was fine because most economic activity happened indoors. the systems that we operate under are completely unmoored from reality

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Stereotype posted:

i'll never get over that an economist confidently stated that the climate becoming randomized and chaotic was fine because most economic activity happened indoors. the systems that we operate under are completely unmoored from reality

Reality stopped being a thing a while back. Need to get with the programme, because nothing we do has consequences and so we are finally free.

But also maybe we can bargain with reality if it does actually exist.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jizzny Princess posted:

Prices were already out of control from corporate greed but the price jump resulting from crop devastation is rearing its ugly head in my area. I've seen cherries go for 11.99 a pound and strawberries for 6.99 a pound at the grocery stores. I cannot find a 16 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips under $6. The store-brand brown sugar I used to get jumped from $2 to $5.

Getting a flat of tayberries and some currants for $15 was basically an insane deal for me today.

Hoping all my powdered goods stay well in their jars

We don't eat white sugar ourselves but we still feed several 20 kg bags per year to bees, hummingbirds, and yeast. We might have to let the bees keep more of their honey for winter stores instead of robbing it for ourselves and feeding them sugar water to get through the cold season. It would be hilarious if sugar got so expensive it fixed the widespread problem of counterfeit honey - sugar water with a bit of real honey mixed in (or artificial colouring for the ultra-fake stuff). But I guess economics doesn't work that way and honey will skyrocket in price even worse and it will still be profitable to put fake tubs of honey-flavoured sugar syrup on the market.

There was unfavourable weather during the cherry pollination period here so cherries too are :stare:. This is a continuing problem on the coast so growers here are cutting their trees down and planting other things. I just put 4 new dwarf cherries in over the last three years. :suicide: Ah well, pretty flowers in the spring.

Blessed are old people who plant trees knowing that they their children their grandchildren no one shall ever sit in the shade of their foliage.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Hexigrammus posted:

We don't eat white sugar ourselves but we still feed several 20 kg bags per year to bees, hummingbirds, and yeast. We might have to let the bees keep more of their honey for winter stores instead of robbing it for ourselves and feeding them sugar water to get through the cold season. It would be hilarious if sugar got so expensive it fixed the widespread problem of counterfeit honey - sugar water with a bit of real honey mixed in (or artificial colouring for the ultra-fake stuff). But I guess economics doesn't work that way and honey will skyrocket in price even worse and it will still be profitable to put fake tubs of honey-flavoured sugar syrup on the market.

There was unfavourable weather during the cherry pollination period here so cherries too are :stare:. This is a continuing problem on the coast so growers here are cutting their trees down and planting other things. I just put 4 new dwarf cherries in over the last three years. :suicide: Ah well, pretty flowers in the spring.

Blessed are old people who plant trees knowing that they their children their grandchildren no one shall ever sit in the shade of their foliage.

I hear Canadia planted a great many such trees and now most of the eastern coast of CONUS gets to enjoy their shade via voluminous toxic cloud action. It's more efficient that way and could only come from the free market.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Reality stopped being a thing a while back. Need to get with the programme, because nothing we do has consequences and so we are finally free.

But also maybe we can bargain with reality if it does actually exist.

'Economist: That’s a striking result. Could not technology pipe or beam the heat elsewhere, rather than relying on thermal radiation?'

loving lol

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

'Economist: That’s a striking result. Could not technology pipe or beam the heat elsewhere, rather than relying on thermal radiation?'

loving lol

My favourite part of that hypothetical exchange (although you know this was a real person's argument somewhere) is that, even without greenhouse gases, we'd cook the planet to an even boil by virtue of simple waste heat. It's actually impossible to go another few centuries with our present growth rate even if every RE tech, every carbon sequestration plan, and every reduce/reuse/recycle initiative worked 100% as advertised.

Imagining the bargaining stage, but for a whole species reliant on tech to undo previous problems. Probably has more nukes flying than I'm thinking.

EDIT: lol, I forgot, that whole thing is actually a callback to a real convo. I need to reread it all again and have a little laugh/cry.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jul 2, 2023

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
why did the biosphere have to do this to our posters...

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

loving lol

just make entropy decrease stupid

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Stereotype posted:

just make entropy decrease stupid

number.
go.
up.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
this is a solved problem because heat rises and space is up

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

There was unfavourable weather during the cherry pollination period here so cherries too are :stare:.

this happened to my apple trees as well, lots and lots of blossoms but only a few dozen apples actually on the trees now :smith:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

I buy my Durham wheat from North Carolina

Ah, a traditionalist. All the antique musket balls and gunpowder in the soil adds a certain je ne sais crois to the crops, just the thing if you want to develop a revolutionary pasta marinara recipe. Something that always pairs well with Concord grape wine.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Stereotype posted:

i thought that was just a goon. lol

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Stereotype posted:

Wasn't it a nobel* prize winning paper that stated that?

*A fake economics one

E: it would appear that it was merely a nobel prize winning economist that wrote the paper

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/sep/nobel-prize-winning-economics-climate-change-misleading-and-dangerous-heres-why

Just a Moron has issued a correction as of 06:15 on Jul 2, 2023

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
ok you can in fact achieve infinite growth within the physical universe by dumping exponentially increasing amounts of matter into a black hole

until you run out of things to dump in the black hole of course

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

FistEnergy posted:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I made bread to gift to another friend and goon tomorrow and it brings me great joy to do things like that as we live out however long we have.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

I made bread to gift to another friend and goon tomorrow and it brings me great joy to do things like that as we live out however long we have.

thats cool, what kind of bread?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

RadiRoot posted:

thats cool, what kind of bread?

Just a nice sandwich loaf. Flour water yeast salt and oat milk.

Be kind to each other goons.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Jul 2, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

silicone thrills posted:

Just a nice sandwich loaf. Flour water yeast salt and cat milk.

Be kind to each other goons.

I misread this at first and then had the "I have nipples Greg, could you milk me?" line pop in my head.

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Jul 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Demilich posted:

I misread this at first and then had the "I have nipples Greg, coukd you milk me?" line pop in my head.

The oats have the tiniest teats