Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kwolok posted:

Anyone play project zomboid on steam deck? Does it work well?

i havent but i doubt it wouldnt work well!

e: also just FYI something i have been doing is buying games and refunding them if they dont work well on the deck — it puts pressure on the game authors to sort their poo poo out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

clam digger runs great on the deck

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

hadji murad posted:

What are some good, cheap games that run great on the deck that are included in this sale?

There are a bunch. What kind of games are you into?

I'll suggest Forager. Game unfolds and snowballs to a crazy degree.

Edit: It turns out the developer is a piece of poo poo and I didn't know. Maybe don't buy it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 2, 2023

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’ll play anything, just not partial to games that go on forever since I’m limited to dad time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I stalled out in power wash simulator for a couple of months because the treehouse has so many loving fiddly railings and little strips but SpongeBob SquarePants has pulled me back in and I took care of the treehouse first just to get over the hump

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

sigher posted:

He always came off as someone who hates video games; just utterly miserable and embittered. I liked the rest of the Giant Bomb dudes though.

Maybe at the time I watched he was going through some poo poo or something, I dunno.

Well most games are bad so Jeff isn't wrong

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I picked up Dave the diver and have been enjoying it so far.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

rafikki posted:

I picked up Dave the diver and have been enjoying it so far.

+1 to Dave the Diver, it’s a charming little game.

Hades is obviously a great pick up if you haven’t played it already, as is Slay the Spire.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Talorat posted:

+1 to Dave the Diver, it’s a charming little game.

and just came out of early access last week. I didn’t play it at all so coming in fresh and liking it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Vic posted:

No way, I gotta try this

Man, I remember Daedalus I think it had music by Steve Vai and then after that discovered Frank Zappa

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I got an estimated delivery date for my sale Deck, Friday 7/7. Which is nice, since it means I can pick up a few Deck favorites while the sale is still on. I kind of rush bought it as soon as the sale started since I assumed the discount would probably mean a wait list again but it looks like it's still 1-2 weeks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Bremen posted:

I got an estimated delivery date for my sale Deck, Friday 7/7. Which is nice, since it means I can pick up a few Deck favorites while the sale is still on. I kind of rush bought it as soon as the sale started since I assumed the discount would probably mean a wait list again but it looks like it's still 1-2 weeks.

Decks shipped out quickly when they had the last sale, too. I think Valve has mostly sorted out their issues with supply.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dpulex posted:

Well most games are bad so Jeff isn't wrong

Ain't that the truth.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

About Dave, I will say it definitely gets the fans going and the deck heats up noticeably while playing which seems a little odd for the graphical style. It is a pretty game with more effects than something like other pixel graphics games though.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dave the diver is like a bigger budget Man Eats Fish, very similar vibes

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Picked up Dave, too. It is very chill and charming. I refuse to use electric harpoons though, their gimmick is a super rapid stick wobble and I don't want to kill my control stick.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Hopper posted:

Picked up Dave, too. It is very chill and charming. I refuse to use electric harpoons though, their gimmick is a super rapid stick wobble and I don't want to kill my control stick.

Yeah, that one is terribly obnoxious.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Paradoxish posted:

Decks shipped out quickly when they had the last sale, too. I think Valve has mostly sorted out their issues with supply.
I think the "issues with supply" were just "we had a backlog of like nine months' worth of orders to sort through by the time we started shipping".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

rafikki posted:

About Dave, I will say it definitely gets the fans going and the deck heats up noticeably while playing which seems a little odd for the graphical style. It is a pretty game with more effects than something like other pixel graphics games though.

I haven't played Dave yet so this is just a shot in the dark, but try turning on the framerate limiter. A lot of little 2D pixel art games basically run unbounded, which means the hardware is just making GBS threads out as many frames as it possibly can. You can end up with the most undemanding games turning a 4080 into a jet engine because they're trying to run at a billion frames per second.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hopper posted:

Have you tried using your trackpad as a joy stick?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

RandolphCarter posted:

Have you tried using your trackpad as a joy stick?

This is exactly what I do! Waggling all over the trackpad works great.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
I’ve been playing Kingdom Come and sometimes the Deck won’t properly come back after I sleep it. The game flashes in the screen for half a second and then the switch restarts.

I did recently turn my device to offline mode. Are those two things related?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

TJChap2840 posted:

I’ve been playing Kingdom Come and sometimes the Deck won’t properly come back after I sleep it. The game flashes in the screen for half a second and then the switch restarts.

I don't think so. It's because PC is an open platform and the games are not forced to expect the deck's sleep event. Some games rely on stuff that's gonna be interrupted by the sleep, but I'd consider that poor coding on the game's part.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

TJChap2840 posted:

anecdotally mine does this on probably half the games i play but sometimes switching the proton version helps

save often

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Just wanted to mention that Garden Galaxy is a fantastic Steam Deck game, even if you better tweak the controls a bit first. Gives of serious Animal Crossing kind of chill vibes, even though it's even simpler.

Been playing it for hours, arranging my perfect little garden and discovering/getting new ways to make it cozier bit by bit. I love it, and I don't usually play games for hours on end.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sterf posted:

Just wanted to mention that Garden Galaxy is a fantastic Steam Deck game, even if you better tweak the controls a bit first. Gives of serious Animal Crossing kind of chill vibes, even though it's even simpler.

Been playing it for hours, arranging my perfect little garden and discovering/getting new ways to make it cozier bit by bit. I love it, and I don't usually play games for hours on end.

Any tips on said control adjustments?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hadji murad posted:

I’ll play anything, just not partial to games that go on forever since I’m limited to dad time.

Titanfall 2 blew me away with how good it looks and plays on the Deck. Campaign is only about 6 hours and it's 4 bux on sale. One of my favorite FPS games

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
Titanfall 2 is totally worth dedicating dad time to.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
A mate gifted me Nuclear Throne and boy howdy is it a great little bit of fun

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

There are a bunch. What kind of games are you into?

I'll suggest Forager. Game unfolds and snowballs to a crazy degree.
The developer stiffed literally everyone else on the team, failed to deliver promised features and blamed them for it. Some seriously unethical poo poo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
the void rains upon her heart is on sale for the first time in 100 years and it's really excellent on deck as well as being excellent in general. i'm surprised there aren't more bullet hell roguelikes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Billion Road is $6! It’s a lot like Fortune Street!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Was going to buy a Switch but a Steamdeck is almost the same price right now as a Switch and two first party Nintendo games.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

PageMaster posted:

I got the dbrands one mostly for grip as well, and they also keep the touch sensor working. It's not completely perfect and sometimes It seems like the touch stops working but I just pick up my thumb and put it back and it works again. Overall I've been pretty happy with them and I find out incredible more comfortable playing with them on.

There was probably a much easier way to find this post than how I did it, but hopefully I got to you in time; TLDR: grips don't work perfectly with the Steam Deck and keep "losing" touch;

I spent 2 weeks messing around with this and there is something off about the Dbrand grips that doesn't play well with the stick touch (at least with Gyro). They start working fine, but then after moving the stick in any direction(s) a random number of times, the stick touch is no longer active (ie: no more gyro). Simply tapping the track pad re-enables the stick touch and you can just put your thumb back on the grip and everything works again (until you move the stick again). It's not one or the other, but I guess a combo of the rip and stick (or steam controller software)? because without the grip, the stick and touch work just fine(ie: the touch continues to work even with stick movement), but the grip obviously does pass through touch because you can see that it actually does still work with the stick touch, just for some reason it's like something about it causes the stick touch to stop functioning until you either tap the track pad or go to the steam menu then back into the game. Maybe there's some "cutoff" in the software that decides when you're not touching the stick sensor (or something else) and the grip happens to trigger that Maybe surface area? No clue, but I would not get these if the touch is essential, and it looks like this is a common issue on reddit as well.

edit: apparently it' just any stick caps; i've tried 3, all have the same problem where movinng the joystick seems to disable the touch sensor.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 3, 2023

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I think Valve has mostly sorted out their issues with supply.

In the UK, the 64GB and 256GB decks have been out of stock since mid April. Now the 512GB is also gone thanks to the sale.

In that time I have gone through the full cycle of curious, considering getting one, definitely getting one, then giving up and buying a backbone one instead to stream from my ps5.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I saw the 64GB Deck available on UK Steam at the start of the sales, so I think it's been restocked a few times, it's just never been enough.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah when I checked the shipping dates at the start of the sale the 64 and 256 models were showing as shipping in 2 weeks but the 512 was sold out.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Vegetable posted:

The developer stiffed literally everyone else on the team, failed to deliver promised features and blamed them for it. Some seriously unethical poo poo.

Read up on this and wow what an rear end in a top hat. Nevermind then!

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

Annath posted:

Any tips on said control adjustments?

I use right trackpad as mouse, right joystick as zoom in-out (with 'turbo' on so it repeats), bumpers as rotate (Q/E), joystick click as 'back to center'(F) and one of the backbuttons as CTRL to be able to select multiple things.
And of course triggers as mouse buttons and d-pad/left joystick as directional buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sterf posted:

I use right trackpad as mouse, right joystick as zoom in-out (with 'turbo' on so it repeats), bumpers as rotate (Q/E), joystick click as 'back to center'(F) and one of the backbuttons as CTRL to be able to select multiple things.
And of course triggers as mouse buttons and d-pad/left joystick as directional buttons.

Thanks!