Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I'm loving how much faster paced this is going vs the scouting mission. We're already going internal and racking up serious damage so quickly compared to the single ML hits in the last mission.

The infernos are a nice touch. Too bad there's no water nearby.

I got my copy of the BattleMech Manual in, so I can finally get up to speed with the current rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Any pilot loading infernos knows what’s coming to them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's like a Putney gun loaded with anti-heathen rounds, you have to really be expecting to win

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I just realized that the Stinger in this mission is the one that got away in the prior mission. Poor bastard escaped last time and is now probably hating his life.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

anakha posted:

I just realized that the Stinger in this mission is the one that got away in the prior mission. Poor bastard escaped last time and is now probably hating his life.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

anakha posted:

At some point either he's going to give up and eject/break his machine trying to fight. And we'll have the last laugh after he pulled that disappearing act on us.

Alternatively, he will somehow get back on his feet through sheer force of will and shoot us in the back at an appropriately dramatic moment and we'll kick ourselves for not finishing him off

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sooo if that dude surrenders is it instant death penalty for piracy with a side order of rebellion or...?

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think we could try to recruit the plucky guy. If he manages to stand up he's got potential. We already know he's smart enough to cut and run. Couldn't ask for a more mercenary decision.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Slavvy posted:

Sooo if that dude surrenders is it instant death penalty for piracy with a side order of rebellion or...?

Since the Prowlers are deserters from Anton Marik's rebellion they are all subject to Executive Order 1136, which sets the punishment as dispossession and/or death.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Death is understandable, but dispossession? That's just cruel.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

give me my 'mech or give me death

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Oh that poor Stinger.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It gets worse??? :ohdear:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If you blap both legs off at once, it will do a front flip on its head while one of those humorous stock screams play.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's called a Wilhelm scream :eng101:

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

Oh that poor Stinger.

Whenever I see something like this I’m just a little bit more excited for what comes next. It usually means something beautiful happened

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Preston’s Last Stand: Turn 5

A shock of stunned disbelief rippled through William Harris’s psyche. He goggled at his viewscreen, his jaw slack, his eyes wide and staring. How? How had that happened? All the pieces had been in place. He’d had a clear shot, a perfect shot. One squeeze of the trigger, and his Scorpion’s Anderson Armaments PPC would have blown the mercenary Warhammer’s head to smithereens. There had been no chance of failure. The overheating mech could not possibly have dodged, and William had timed everything perfectly, even firing between his own heartbeats to make sure the tremors wouldn’t transmit through his hands and spoil his aim. So why? Why had he still missed?

It was a rhetorical question, of course. William knew full well why his game-changing shot had flown wide. His teeth ground together like miniature millstones as he watched Nathan Howell’s Firestarter saunter across the plain, its pilot blissfully unaware that he had just ruined the perfect chance to remove the enemy’s most dangerous piece from the chessboard. Why? Why had the idiot chosen that exact moment to cross his field of view?

Again, it was a rhetorical question. William had had the misfortune of meeting three other Firestarter pilots over the course of his career, and every single one had been either a degenerate psychopath or an incompetent buffoon. In that respect Howell was simply the latest clown in a long line of circus freaks. The man was a useless waste of skin, clearly more interested in setting fire to random bits of woodland than helping his comrades survive the mercenary onslaught. Thabo might be a stubborn idiot, but at least his suicidal charge had briefly stalled the enemy’s advance. Howell couldn’t even manage that much.

Grimacing in disgust, William took aim once again. The enemy were regrouping, and he needed to pick a fresh target. He licked his lips as he peered at his viewfinder, hungrily eyeing up the mercenary battlemechs. There was some juicy salvage in that lance, and he couldn’t wait to grab a slice. Preston would definitely want the Warhammer, but William would be happy to claim any of the remaining three. He was willing to tolerate a lot, even Howell’s idiocy, if it let him ditch his wretched Scorpion.

In theory, the Scorpion was a marvel of engineering. Its quadrupedal design was meant to provide a more stable firing platform than a bipedal one, its four legs spreading its weight more evenly while simultaneously making it nimbler and better at crossing broken terrain. In practice, the Scorpion was a grotesque abomination that most mechwarriors would only pilot if they had no other choice. A combination of poor suspension and buggy gyro alignment software gave the Scorpion a swaying, rocking gait that utterly obliterated any gains in stability from its four-legged design. Piloting one was miserable in the short term and literally crippling in the long run. The juddering motion wrenched at the mechwarrior’s joints and spine, and retired Scorpion pilots were often plagued by chronic back pain, arthritis, and other nasty conditions.

Just a little longer, William reassured himself as his PPC’s capacitors slowly cycled back up. Just a little longer, and he could kiss the ugly bitch goodbye once and for all.

Weapons fire for Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player):
-Fires Large Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Right Arm! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 8 damage to Right Arm, 0/8 Structure remaining. Right Arm destroyed! 3 damage transfers to Rear Right Torso, 2/5 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Arm! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 0/8 Structure remaining. Left Arm destroyed! 4 damage transfers to Rear Left Torso, 1/5 Armour remaining.
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Rear Left Torso! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Rear Left Torso, 0/5 Armour, 8/12 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Torso! One Critical Hit Sustained! Critical Hit on Heat Sink!

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 11: Hits Front! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Front, 6/11 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, MP Halved.
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 9, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Small Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers); needs 13, rolls 8: Automatic Miss!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player):
-Fires LRM-15 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires LRM-15 at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Hits Left Leg! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 10 damage to Left Leg, 0/15 Armour, 3/12 Structure remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Leg! No critical hits sustained.

--

Weapons fire for Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers):
-No valid targets within range; holding fire until next turn!

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Fires Flamer at Hex 2007 (Ignite); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers):
-Fires PPC at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 9, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
Props itself up on one arm!
-Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 11, rolls 10: Misses!

Weapons fire for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers):
-Fires SRM-6 at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 7, rolls 11: 3 Missiles Hit! Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Arm (9/11 Armour remaining), Left Torso (12/14 Armour remaining), and Left Torso (10/14 Armour remaining).
-Fires Medium Laser at Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player); needs 7, rolls 10: Hits Left Arm! Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Arm, 4/11 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 #2 (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Head! Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) takes 5 damage to Head, 4/9 Armour remaining. Pilot Hit!
-Fires Small Laser at Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Goblin Medium Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Scorpion Light Tank (LRM) (Prowlers):
-Fires LRM-5 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 8, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires LRM-10 at Warhammer WHM-6D (Player); needs 8, rolls 4: Misses!

No melee attacks this turn!

Blackjack BJ-1DB (Player) gains 15 heat, sinks 17 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Hunchback HBK-4G (Player) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5N (Player) gains 11 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 2 heat.

Warhammer WHM-6D (Player) gains 10 heat, sinks 20 heat and is now at 1 heat.

--

Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers) gains 8 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 0 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Scorpion SCP-1N (Prowlers) gains 10 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 5 heat, sinks 5 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) did not fire this turn! No feedback check required! Eagle Standard (DropShip) (Prowlers) will fire next on Turn 6!

--

Piloting checks for Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers):
-Took 20+ damage this turn: Needs 6, rolls 7: Succeeds!

--

Stephanie Burgess (Trebuchet TBT-5N) has taken 1 damage this turn! Stephanie Burgess must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
- Stephanie Burgess must roll a 3+ to remain conscious! Rolls 4: Succeeds!

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) attempts to stand carefully. Needs 6, rolls 5: Fails!
-Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) falls on its left side, suffering 2 damage to Left Torso, 2/6 Armour remaining.
-Harathi Vraman must roll a 6 to avoid a pilot hit; rolls 4: Fails!

--

Harathi Vraman (Stinger STG-3R) has taken 1 damage this turn! Harathi Vraman must pass a consciousness test or fall unconscious!
-Harathi Vraman must roll a 5+ to remain conscious! Rolls 7: Succeeds!

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Multi-Tasker: When splitting fire between multiple targets, secondary targeting penalties are reduced by 1.
-Hopping Jack: Pilot suffers a +2 penalty when firing after jumping instead of +3.

Primary Objectives:
-Defeat Josiah Preston (0/1)
-Neutralise remaining Prowler forces (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
-Secure the crash site without damaging the Eagle Standard (250,000 C-Bill Reward)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 4th 9:00PM GMT.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
That dude really hates firestarters

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

With the three Mechs out of the picture for this turn, I think it's time to take those Galleons out

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Scintilla posted:

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H (Prowlers):
-Fires Flamer at Hex 2007 (Ignite); needs 7, rolls 5: Misses!

:allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ok, dumbass question time because I still keep getting this mixed up.

Since my left side is now vulnerable, shots coming from what hexes will hit my left side in the picture below? 2005/2006 or 2205/2206?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

anakha posted:

Ok, dumbass question time because I still keep getting this mixed up.

Since my left side is now vulnerable, shots coming from what hexes will hit my left side in the picture below? 2005/2006 or 2205/2206?

Here's a handy diagram showing how hit locations are determined:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Scintilla posted:

Here's a handy diagram showing how hit locations are determined:

So it's not 'mirror image' left. Thanks!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

Weapons fire for Warhammer WHM-6D (Player):
-Fires PPC at Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Hits Left Leg! Trebuchet TBT-5S (Prowlers) takes 10 damage to Left Leg, 0/15 Armour, 3/12 Structure remaining.

:hmmno:

This is the real reason the Scorpion pilot missed. Sterling's got Morgan Kell's GhostMech powers.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

:hmmno:

This is the real reason the Scorpion pilot missed. Sterling's got Morgan Kell's GhostMech powers.

The great thing about MegaMek is that it keeps a perfect record of every roll that can be checked at any time, thus exposing all of my hasty copy-paste errors!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:allears:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Can someone please explain what the little bars next to the mech icons are? From playing the last couple months I've figured out the top one is somehow indicative of damage done, although I don't quite get how and when it turns to yellow or red, and I know the little pips below both bars are the to-hit mod for movement, but I have absolutely no idea what the second green bar is.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Can someone please explain what the little bars next to the mech icons are? From playing the last couple months I've figured out the top one is somehow indicative of damage done, although I don't quite get how and when it turns to yellow or red, and I know the little pips below both bars are the to-hit mod for movement, but I have absolutely no idea what the second green bar is.

They're percentage of armor and internal structure remaining, I think.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

top bar armour, bottom bar structure

firestarter may be missing an arm, but has only actually lost 14 armour and 6 structure, and has plenty left everywhere else, so both bars are pretty green

stinger has lost three points of structure, but a bunch more armour

trebuchet is getting chewed up and is missing a lot of both at this point

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gnoman posted:

Yep, this is it. Notice how the Trebuchet lost a huge chunk of the lower bar this turn and how it turned yellow? That's because it lost both arms and most of the structure in its left leg.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dude is in there screaming how it is A LOVELY DAY, WHAT A LOVELY DAY

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Thank you for the explanations, it'd been bugging me for awhile.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gnoman posted:

I find the HP bars somewhat meaningless in these kinds of games since a lucky headshot can kill someone at 80+% armor, and a particularly lucky machine can be running around with both bars in the red and severe damage on all limbs, but they haven't actually lost any weapons. They can be kind of helpful since it gives you a rough estimate of how much they have, but it's not uncommon for a mech to have their armor all kinds of messed up and they're still hanging tough

Trebuchet

I can't help but feel like I got unlucky this time around. I missed another two LRM volleys and even took a hit to the head. I'm not sure how they stack up in Tabletop, but in my experience, a single pilot hit can put a Mechwarrior out of the game for about two weeks. Although at the moment that doesn't really matter.

I don't have much of a master plan, I was thinking about just heading north and trying to spit some lasers at Galleon #1. It doesn't have any motor damage, so if we let it go it may continue to flank and build absurd evasion stacks. I'd rather not let that happen.

I was thinking of either walking directly north to 2703 before turning one tile right and torso-twisting the rest of the way to open fire on the Galleon (conveniently 3 tiles away) Or sprinting to 2802 so I can turn around to face south, and gain an extra point of evasion. It would mean taking my shots at an 8+ instead of a 7+ but. Meh.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
CLG bars !

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Warhammer

Alright, could've gone a little better but certainly could've gone much worse! I think the clear move for me here is to run to 2904 facing 3004 and go after that Galleon with my lasers and a kick, splitting off a PPC shot at the other Galleon.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Planning on moving to 2909 and taking out the injured galleon. I have 6es with the AC20, and 5 on a kick. The firestarter only has a single laser to tag me with in reply.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Blackjack

Gwaihir, do you need help with the Galleon in 3009? I have enough movement speed to get to 2507 which would be at the 5-hex sweet spot range-wise for my LLs, and that location should also just be out of range of the Dropship.

I can also move to 2504 to go after the Galleon in 3004, if you feel you've got enough damage on board with your weapons plus the supporting PPC from the Hammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the blackjack has a nice potential move to 1709, jumping in to the heavy smoke. Your shots on the treb are bad, but, nothing else can really hit you either with a +4 defense mod.

Or you can move north and help clean up there, too. I think I have good enough odds on my galleon to finish it off.

I'll be sure to amend my orders with a contingency for the firestarter just in case, thinking about it though.