Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of small commission artists also use Twitter for general publicity of their work and to make it easy for people to commission pieces via Twitter DM's.

Yeah it was a great place to look for artists to drawn your Warcraft/Final Fantasy/D&D character. In the good times it was like one huge artist's alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Endorph posted:

twitter's extremely popular and a pretty normal part of daily life in japan. like 40-50% of the population uses it.

Endorph posted:

one possibility is a japanese company tries to buy twitter off elon, but i doubt his pride would let him sell for less than what he paid for it

this is my personal comedy option, yeah - that twitter ends up like 7-11

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah it was a great place to look for artists to drawn your Warcraft/Final Fantasy/D&D character. In the good times it was like one huge artist's alley.

Nowadays twitter is overran with fake commission accounts. I get so many follows from fake accounts claiming to make art for people; they all either use stolen art, or just take your money and disappear.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
before this elon stuff a fair number of japanese people assumed twitter was japanese

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Don't worry, there are still advertisers on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/returnlove_org/status/1674266444886884356?s=61

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Twitter has so much debt due to Elon's purchase you'd have to be a bigger idiot than him to buy it even for a dollar. The brand might survive but the company is toast.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

see now if this was what all ads were like I wouldn't block them

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

fatherboxx posted:

every brand moves its account to the milf messenger
dril too

A new era of peace dawns on a weary world

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Mr Tweets

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
how is elon so stupid

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Willo567 posted:

how is elon so stupid

He's just making people think he's stupid so that his opponents underestimate him.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

cracker posted:

I've seen several posts about finding art on Twitter. What kind of art are people searching for that needs Twitter?

link to tweet, for those that want it

There's some context behind this. This person, a freelance digital artist in the Philippines, had a $3 commission for some high quality bread (the original commission on quality was for artist's choice). It wound up getting outside of their normal sphere of viewers and it blew up, as seen by the 3.1 million views on a piece of art from someone who had maybe a thousand followers at the time. I don't remember exactly what caused it to explode, but they got a flood of simple "joke" commissions in that people asked a silly prompt and often overpaid, stuff like the above one, a black square on a white background for $5, a blank piece of photocopier paper, etc., until they had to stop taking them so they could do their regular ones. A particular favorite tweet from then: someone went to a museum that had a piece of commissioned art of a lemon, and took a picture of both it and the bread commission.

Then their GPU broke shortly after things settled down, and their windfall went into replacing it when otherwise they would have been in a really bad spot for their regular commissions.

To be genuine, this is one of the kinds of stories that people are talking about when it comes to Twitter being a unique place for artists. Even with this being extremely unlikely to happen to a specific person, it happened to somebody pretty regularly.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
those 2007 youtube vlogs you like are going to come back in style

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

LOL, the only "tea" these nerds are gonna have is "low T" hahaha.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Well, I agree. Mental Health DOES matter. Which is why this person needs to be tracked down and returned to the institution they escaped from.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This is the first time I have noticed my less online friends complain about twitter and ask about alternatives/ditching it altogether.

I think they are a decent bellwether for this stuff so elon may have actually properly hosed it this time.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I don't give a poo poo about Musk and care little about twitter but is Elon trying to burn down this company? The guy is supposed to be a tech bro and this happens? I can understand him firing his employees for dumb reasons but ending a contract of a critical service that anyone who has an knowledge in technology and internet is loving unbelievable.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

its good
https://returnlove.org/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Budzilla posted:

I don't give a poo poo about Musk and care little about twitter but is Elon trying to burn down this company? The guy is supposed to be a tech bro and this happens? I can understand him firing his employees for dumb reasons but ending a contract of a critical service that anyone who has an knowledge in technology and internet is loving unbelievable.

Normally, I’d believe that he was trying to deliberately burn down the site because it was one of the few popular internet spaces where people could (somewhat) effectively organize against far-right dipshits and counter their narratives, but after everything he’s said and done, I think he’s just a loving idiot. Though both could be true too?

The Awesomesaurus fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 2, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he was forced to purchase it against his will so he may be trying to engage in some kind of the producers esque tax fraud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Endorph posted:

he was forced to purchase it against his will so he may be trying to engage in some kind of the producers esque tax fraud

nazis included

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he's really dumb and has always been insulated from the consequences of his actions in the past

all this tells us is that he habitually decides to not pay crucial bills when he doesn't feel like it, but his other companies have people in charge of getting those paid anyway, while Twitter does not

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

R.L. Stine posted:

those 2007 youtube vlogs you like are going to come back in style

Exactly.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:lol: :discourse:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Budzilla posted:

No, he's just a complete moron rolling with the punches.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

:hmmyes:

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I feel as if the "this mfer paid for blue" pic should be the #1 reply to every single blue user right about now. Again.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Sensenmann posted:

I feel as if the "this mfer paid for blue" pic should be the #1 reply to every single blue user right about now. Again.

Working on it as soon as I can post again

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Budzilla posted:

Musk is about as intelligent as Trump. He's a profoundly stupid man. He just happens to have a different sort of egomania from Trump and isn't anti-intellectual and as such tries to cultivate an image of being a philosopher-king and also, to his credit over Trump, shows at least a cursory surface-level interest in intellectual pursuits.

But he's just as dumb. He's seriously a dumb motherfucker and given his apparent drug abuse, he's only going to get dumber.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

even better than lifetime bitch lol

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Everyone else is too rate- limited to even see blue posts anymore.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hey dude if you see this, Maslow's Needs are formatted as a pyramid because it is the guide to achieving the higher levels - once your other needs are fulfilled the idea is you will naturally progress to using your time to self-actualise.
The path to complete human development is ensuring that all people are fed, sheltered, and cared for so that they can direct their energies further up the pyramid rather than burning it all on surviving two jobs to pay rent.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

isn't anti-intellectual

Highly doubt this.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Musk is about as intelligent as Trump. He's a profoundly stupid man. He just happens to have a different sort of egomania from Trump and isn't anti-intellectual and as such tries to cultivate an image of being a philosopher-king and also, to his credit over Trump, shows at least a cursory surface-level interest in intellectual pursuits.

But he's just as dumb. He's seriously a dumb motherfucker and given his apparent drug abuse, he's only going to get dumber.

It’s nice and cool that he has closed door meetings with presidents and prime ministers about things like AI and EVs. :)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

he was forced to purchase it against his will

As simple as it seems, this is what it is, IMO.

While on some kind of ketamine/amphetamine bender, someone suggested that he buy it to strike back against censorship by the Wokists

He made an offer for $54.20 per share which is funny, because he is a funnyman, and 420 is the weed number

It’s about 4x the actual value of the stock, and when he wakes up, he realizes what a horrible idea it was. It’s like me drunkposting on SA and then waking up from my coma and frantically looking to see what I said here last night

Only it’s too late… instead of just getting probed, he realizes he’s made a legal and enforceable offer to buy that shithole for at least 4x its value

He spends weeks trying to get out of the purchase, but is eventually forced to buy it

He reacts to this unfortunate development by playing the “haha, it’s just what I wanted all along” and making it into a rightwing hellsite

Fires everyone who knew how to make it work

Breaks it over and over until finally, after refusing to pay hosting fees on 7/1/2023 and firing everyone who knew how to make it work, claims it was to avoid Pirate Scraping

Site shits itself utterly, and nobody knows how to fix it, nobody even understands how much their hosting agreements with AWS or Google even made it work in the first place

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

anti-intellectual

gschmidl posted:

Highly doubt this.

Pseudo-intellectual

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Next, he will claim that it was outside forces (scrapers? hackers? wokists?) that made the site completely unusable this weekend

When it comes back up to full functionality, IF it does, he will claim great victory against those same forces

And then the same thing will happen again in a week

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Despite nobody being able to see posts last night, a tweet telling Musk to do the lowtax play got 223k likes and 57,5k retweets. It’s been thirteen hours since it was posted and it’s still up, the poster isn’t banned, nothing.

The mods have left the building

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Endorph posted:

David Zaslav showed the world that you can just destroy poo poo into non-existence and get a big sweet tax write off for it. Maybe Elon stupidly thinks he can get a tax write off by erasing Twitter from existence?