Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

shinjiros taking the persona medicines that are slowly killing him i think???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Shinjiro surviving just means he gets to live slightly longer because he was already dying when he was shot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe Mitsuru can use her cash to cure Shinjiro's anime cancer??

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Chidori bonus scene is gotten by talking to Junpei occasionally and consistently telling him to go visit her, which gives you a little "Junpei seems relieved" each time.

dunno how you'd miss it unless you just don't bother chatting up Junpei, which, fair

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Shinjiro surviving just means he gets to live slightly longer because he was already dying when he was shot.
The Persona suppressants definitely aren't good for you, they are stated to have bad side-effects, but I don't remember the game ever stating that either Shinjiro or Strega (whom Shinji was getting them from) were actually currently in the danger zone of actually dying from them. He could've still had years or decades left, we don't know for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

The Persona suppressants definitely aren't good for you, they are stated to have bad side-effects, but I don't remember the game ever stating that either Shinjiro or Strega (whom Shinji was getting them from) were actually currently in the danger zone of actually dying from them. He could've still had years or decades left, we don't know for sure.

No, the game explicitly states it during the big confrontation. Takaya shows up and is like "You don't have much longer to live anyway" and Ken actually gets pissed off because it means that Shinjiro was already dying.

"Takaya: You cannot defy fate... You shall die... whether or not it is at the
hand of this boy.

Shinjiro: ......

Takaya: You've been taking those pills for some time now... You don't have
much longer.

Ken: What's he talking about!?

Shinjiro: That's bullshit!

Takaya: Listen to your body... You know it to be true.

Ken: What does he mean...? You're going to die...? ...No matter what I do?
That's not fair!! All this time! I've been waiting for this!!"

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

maybe mitsuru and her company were able to find a cure for the persona medicines tho 🙏

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I'm fine with shinjiro living because he is based and his s-link is nice

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arist posted:

I don't actually care about the deaths getting walked back. Chidori's completely whatever to me and I'm totally fine saving Shinjiro, that one's fanfiction-y in a way I'm cool with.

e: like if you want to say that it weakens the thematic link between the characters of the death of another, that's fine... but Fuuka is already an exception to that so :shrug:

This conversation got me thinking about AI: Nirvana Initiative again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The major annoyance about Shinji's death is that you no longer have a non-MC party member who could use Power Charge. Give me big numbers!

Also yeah, he's a nice guy who cooks gourmet food for best boy Koro.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Shinjiro should die but Ken should inherit all his abilities so I can have a little boy kill people with an axe

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like Shinjiro surviving because him coming out of the coma just in time for you to die in his arms is some Classic Tragedy poo poo and I'm here for it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YggiDee posted:

I like Shinjiro surviving because him coming out of the coma just in time for you to die in his arms is some Classic Tragedy poo poo and I'm here for it

Yeah this too

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ajkalan posted:

Jin is well-known on the Internet.

I got to this part and I'm like are you saying Jin is an influencer for strega? I don't really rmb if it was a big deal in 2009 or just a weird plot point.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alder posted:

I got to this part and I'm like are you saying Jin is an influencer for strega? I don't really rmb if it was a big deal in 2009 or just a weird plot point.

Kinda yeah, it's how they spread the idea of 'Takaya is anime Messiah' so quickly towards the end of the game.

I guess that means he just took a class on Google optimization or something.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Jin doing TikTok about the nyx cult woah

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Kinda yeah, it's how they spread the idea of 'Takaya is anime Messiah' so quickly towards the end of the game.

I guess that means he just took a class on Google optimization or something.

I'm now imagining how Jin would predict the end of the world via tweets as the actual Twitter site is crashing down in the last few days.

I finished the game and drat, it was a nostalgic experience since I graduated in 2009 too :sigh:

It's a shame that P3P:Re won't have a FeMC route and now I just gotta wait a few more years for the completed game.

Alder fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 3, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Metaphor drops on PS4, 5 and PC in addition to the XBOX platforms.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8kIpMfvZ8

A bit of English Persona 3 Reload gameplay featuring the new cast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A Sinister Rap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg8kIpMfvZ8

A bit of English Persona 3 Reload gameplay featuring the new cast.

The non diminished models are surprisingly disconcerting. I have a sort of mental image of the P3ian's as half chibized forms and this would force me to grapple with that construct constantly until both ideas are syncrtized.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone except fuuka and junpei sound pretty much the same to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mitsuru's French pronunciation is legitimately good and it kind of ruins it for me lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Gaius Marius posted:

The non diminished models are surprisingly disconcerting. I have a sort of mental image of the P3ian's as half chibized forms and this would force me to grapple with that construct constantly until both ideas are syncrtized.

Isn't this why everyone went wild for P3 Dancing in Moonlight because of the new models

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Some people are Old and hate everything New.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
New voice actors doing famous lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tueXwkTng

Stupei, Ace Defective is at 2:16.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Mitsuru's French pronunciation is legitimately good and it kind of ruins it for me lmao

Same, I was actually thrown.

What other French appears in P3? I think "C'est magnifique'" and "Oui"? Akihiko says the latter one at least.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Love that they kept the huge rear end doors and furniture

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ApplesandOranges posted:

Same, I was actually thrown.

What other French appears in P3? I think "C'est magnifique'" and "Oui"? Akihiko says the latter one at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONsRqzQUeoo

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
P5 tactics look like rear end

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cloacamazing! posted:

New voice actors doing famous lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8tueXwkTng

Stupei, Ace Defective is at 2:16.

Thanks forteh heads-up on Ace Defective.

Although all I could think when I started watching this was '...I don't recall Akihiko saying anything about protein." Apparently he says it once in the entire game and it's not even a voiced line.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Thanks forteh heads-up on Ace Defective.

Although all I could think when I started watching this was '...I don't recall Akihiko saying anything about protein." Apparently he says it once in the entire game and it's not even a voiced line.

He actually talks a lot about protein if you actually talk to him. Shinjiro even calls him on it at one point.

It's also something that became an increasing meme with the character because of it, so that like in the re-releases you have quests to get Protein Powder from him, in the drama CDs they play it up more, and in Persona Q "PROTEIN" becomes basically his one character trait.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

He actually talks a lot about protein if you actually talk to him. Shinjiro even calls him on it at one point.

It's also something that became an increasing meme with the character because of it, so that like in the re-releases you have quests to get Protein Powder from him, in the drama CDs they play it up more, and in Persona Q "PROTEIN" becomes basically his one character trait.

I feel like a lot of the persona characters started to get more flanderized the more spin off games they were in

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I think Q2 eases off a little bit and doesn't quite turn him and Chie into protein/meat elementals.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I finished the game and drat, it was a nostalgic experience since I graduated in 2009 too :sigh:

I remember getting some device that let me connect my PS2 to my PC monitor in my dorm room when I played it in senior year (graduated 2008). Also played DDS 1 and 2 around the same time using the same set-up.

After graduating I lived with my aunt and grandparents in Boston for around half a year*, and remember playing P4 at my grandma's house (all my grandparents are gone now :(). P4 makes me more nostalgic overall, I think due to a combination of the tone of the game itself and when I played it.

* I spent a while taking actuarial exams after graduating with an unrelated degree, but I ended up getting a programming job unrelated to either my degree or the actuarial exams

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I feel like a lot of the persona characters started to get more flanderized the more spin off games they were in

I don't think it happens to every character but yeah I think a lot of the more basic (for lack of a better word) characters get it pretty hard. It also doesn't help that some gimmicks work a lot worse than others. Like "Ken is a sweet good polite boy" works in the Q games better because it gives him more flavor because there aren't really any other characters who fit that niche, while Punch Elementals are a lot more common and tend to get mixed together. See also "bad at cooking" or "the butt of jokes."

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTVeFmHqZnk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mmkay posted:

I think Q2 eases off a little bit and doesn't quite turn him and Chie into protein/meat elementals.

Chie also suffers from her portrayal in the admittedly funny Hiimdaisy comic dub thing. "TRIAL OF THE DRAGOOOOON!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

mmkay posted:

Didn't it turn Yusuke into a hunger elemental tho

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
if Akihiko is such a protein head, why is he slimmer than 15 yr old Kanji?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I remember getting some device that let me connect my PS2 to my PC monitor in my dorm room when I played it in senior year (graduated 2008). Also played DDS 1 and 2 around the same time using the same set-up.

After graduating I lived with my aunt and grandparents in Boston for around half a year*, and remember playing P4 at my grandma's house (all my grandparents are gone now :(). P4 makes me more nostalgic overall, I think due to a combination of the tone of the game itself and when I played it.

* I spent a while taking actuarial exams after graduating with an unrelated degree, but I ended up getting a programming job unrelated to either my degree or the actuarial exams

The original P3 game came out when I was an 11th grader too but it was a challenge to find in stores when I got FES. Finally, P4 was when I was a 12th grader so it was pretty much the entirety of my HS years which were awful but I did like the games even though they aged poorly a lot now.

I rmb playing through the old games a lot since I didn't have many games at all and now I struggle to play any new Steam games for years and just focused on FFXIV. TBH, it mostly reflected a sad time of my life late teens and early 20's :shobon: