Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Relevant Tangent posted:

It's funny that this game is a gigacrimes simulator but you absolutely don't have to do gigacrimes to win and all the advice is about what kind of gigacrimes you should be doing
oh cracking the planet is so much less efficient than murdering all sentient life or devolving all sentient life and then making it self-aware again as a food source
just an entire fan base devoted to being the worst

I dunno, I feel like that "one person dying is a crime, one million people dying is a statistic" line comes into play when talking about Stellaris. If you want real horror, check out the Crusader Kings 2 fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just take over the galaxy as Rogue Servitors. Your culture will adapt to be served by us.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Have you considered how loving awesome it is to crack planets instead though? You looked at me funny so I blew up your loving planet :colbert:

Also improves performance.

E: no love for flooding worlds :(

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 30, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just take over the galaxy as Rogue Servitors. Your culture will adapt to be served by us.

WALL-E is just a mashup of Void Dwellers and Rogue Servitors.

Azuth0667 posted:

Also improves performance.

E: no love for flooding worlds :(

Yeah, this is also part of my basis for 'the interface encourages warcrimes.'

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I had a really nice run going, had genetically ascended my cordyceps hive mind, made friends with two other hives against the Khan and the fanatical purifiers to the north.

Such good friends that when one of them was prematurely declared as the crisis, it’s me and them versus the galaxy and a pissed-off awakened empire. And the Contingency just spawned.

This was meant to be a chill expansion game with a weak crisis about some hosed-up noxious repellent mushrooms self-improving and saving the galaxy!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My psychic good guy humans run is getting bogged down. The lost colony humans spawned to my southwest, and a fan egal materialist empire spawned to my southeast. Not directly on my border, but close enough to be a concern was a hegemony. Which is my current problem. The hegemony declared war on me, after adding the empire to my southeast to their number. So it's 4v1 against a bunch of militarist AI, and a 5th AI only held a bay by a peace treaty.

I'm not sure how to handle it. Their fleets are all doomstacked, so I can't really do defeat in detail. I'm a ways away from finishing Supremacy, so I won't be able to set hit-and-run for a bit yet, and even if I did I think the disparity is too big to really rely on that to give us an advantage. My only thoughts are:

1. Try and keep hanging on until I can hit a snowball point and get ahead of the AI in tech, then subjugate them.
2. (Try to) Join them and try and take over/dismantle the hegemony from the inside.

Are there other options here I'm not thinking of? The only other group in the area that might have been able to help are the other humans, but they're Auth/Mil and... the chances of them coming along peacefully are not great.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
There's no way to use bio pops in normal jobs as a machine empire without DA or bio-trophy dudes right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ilkhan posted:

There's no way to use bio pops in normal jobs as a machine empire without DA or bio-trophy dudes right?

Sure you can use them. Just build some bio-reactors and start processing those bio pops into food.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
mods, please change thread title to "Stellaris: Gigacrimes Simulator"

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Jack Trades posted:

Sure you can use them. Just build some bio-reactors and start processing those bio pops into food.

Or just plug them into the Matrix for Energy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
You should try being nice to your pops, high happiness/stability give you nice bonuses :shobon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Firebert posted:

You should try being nice to your pops, high happiness/stability give you nice bonuses :shobon:

High stability gives you nice bonuses. There are other means of getting high stability that doesn't require you to bother with providing the proles with food or shelter or letting them pay off their student loans.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Stellaris: Letting everyone act like the 1%.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jack Trades posted:

High stability gives you nice bonuses. There are other means of getting high stability that doesn't require you to bother with providing the proles with food or shelter or letting them pay off their student loans.

You can have both, and more money than the shroud if you build right.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

DasNeonLicht posted:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Trying out the "challenging origin" of Broken Shackles. Ocean homeworld, aquatic species.

Next system over, two ocean planets. (one of my guaranteed plus a bonus ocean planet). Other guaranteed two jumps away.

Also adjacent to my homeworld, one of my buddy species pre-FTL homeworld is found. Ocean world. Size 30. Ocean paradise origin. Early Space Age. The observation station didn't even make it to the first insight tech before they spotted me. Spent the influence and annexed the planet without a shot fired. Fully-functional homeworld up and running without stellar culture shock before my rag-tag rainbow ex-slave planet even had its poo poo together.

By the time my spy network at MSI got basic intel up, I was already out-teching them.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Really, really starting to wonder if the broken shackles run is geared towards screwing the msi over. First game they end up stuck in a tiny little chunk of the map by a friendly hive mind who beats them up if they so much as look at my space empire funny. Second game they manage to luck into a modded event that gives them a ship called The Daughter of the Void. it's got 1200 fleet power but killing it is a bloody nuisance. Turns out it's a prethoryn ship and when I kill it I get the research options for scourge missiles and swarm strikers. Endgame tech like 70 years into the game throws balance right out the window. Don't know what they did the third time I tried, but a fallen empire wiped them out.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MSI is the funniest npc in the game. Just constantly slipping on banana peels.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Think about the kind of catastrophic failure it would take for an interstellar civilization to lose a fight with a planet bound one. That's MSI.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I invaded a pre ftl once and ran out of energy, making my assault armies get a huge debuff and lost to an industrial world before.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

That's just War of the Worlds. Except with bankruptcy instead of germs or whatever.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

megane posted:

That's just War of the Worlds. Except with bankruptcy instead of germs or whatever.

I would watch that movie

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Alien armies just give up all of a sudden. some keep fighting, but when questioned on why so many just surrendered

"Paycheck bounced."

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RIP Earth. Hoisted by the hubris of parading the corpse of a dead eldritch horror around to celebrate killing it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
That certainly would not be on my 2223 bingo card

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Warmachine posted:

RIP Earth. Hoisted by the hubris of parading the corpse of a dead eldritch horror around to celebrate killing it.

That's pretty on brand to be honest!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, is there really still no proper scaling for 1440p? Even considering mods, Dynamic Overhaul says its scaled for 1440p but the text is loving tiny and really hurts my eyes to read.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Stellaris: A million is a statistic, a billion is optimal gameplay

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, apparently my only recourse is playing at fullscreen, 2048x1152, on my 24in monitor. Annoying, I really hate alt-tabbing at fullscreen.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
i just got an ad for star trek: infinite which struck me as someone ripping off both stellaris and the star trek mod for it

but it turns out it's... an actual official paradox release? :psyduck:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Complications posted:

Think about the kind of catastrophic failure it would take for an interstellar civilization to lose a fight with a planet bound one. That's MSI.

If anyone can manage it, capitalists can.

Horizon Burning posted:

i just got an ad for star trek: infinite which struck me as someone ripping off both stellaris and the star trek mod for it

but it turns out it's... an actual official paradox release? :psyduck:

It's just what they used to do with licensed games- license it out to a company that makes the closest thing to a game of your IP as it is, and thus have already done half the work. Usually too sensible for most companies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Complications posted:

It's a bit American War of Independence - it's about making it too much bother, not necessarily beating them straight up. But without the slavery sticking around.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
There is a gripping documentary starring John Travolta called Battlefield Earth you may be interested in.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Duodecimal posted:

There is a gripping documentary starring John Travolta called Battlefield Earth you may be interested in.

That movie is actually not bad if you're not expecting High Art here. Go in looking for a high-budget B-movie, and you'll have a good time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

CapnAndy posted:

Stellaris: A million is a statistic, a billion is optimal gameplay

Throwing my support behind this.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

im always very nice when i play stellaris

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Popped this relic in the middle of a war :vince:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zokari posted:

im always very nice when i play stellaris

Me too, I feel bad for procedurally generated space foxes. The meanest I get is Rogue Servitors who think "no" is just another way to say "please help us, all-knowing robots, we don't know what's best for us."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Quorum posted:

Me too, I feel bad for procedurally generated space foxes. The meanest I get is Rogue Servitors who think "no" is just another way to say "please help us, all-knowing robots, we don't know what's best for us."

Same, I always feel nad doing virtual warcrimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I tried to do a militaristic auth xenophobe run and it just put me in a bad mood so I just went back to playing my friendly shroom space communists, even though I'm out of anomalies to scan and nothing is really happening.