Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I don't want to meet anyone who would describe themselves as "enthusiastic" for Starmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that ties in with charismatic, some people have a hyperspecific fetish for managerial type guys and rather than admitting that's a them problem, it must be the raw animal magnetism they exude.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

someone on the news yesterday, while describing Keith as a school pupil, used the word “charismatic” and I laughed out loud

Surely thats worse - he wasn't born in the suit and with the aura of the middle manager, it's something he actively shaped and molded from a previous competent self.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Wife laughed at me for keeping the same dentist in my hometown which I've had since I was 11. Yes it's a 1.5h drive once a year, but who's laughing now, wife.

yeah I'm almost certain it isnt her

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If you're not laughing every time you visit your dentist you're either going to poo poo dentists or there's a supply shortage again

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:allears:

e: vvv lol, that's loving gruesome

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 1, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

:allears:

e: vvv lol, that's loving gruesome

Money laundering?
Russian sanctions?
Being too big of a dick?

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

fuctifino posted:

At Winchester, Oxford, Stanford, Goldman Sachs and McKinsey, Sunak was told that if he worked hard and solved problems, he would succeed in life. But political reward is more hard won. One cabinet minister put it this way: “In his mind the deal he struck with the universe is not working out. He’s very clever, but he knows that with cleverness comes responsibility to graft ... But if you work hard and do the right thing, the universe will reward you — and in his mind at the moment the universe is not keeping its side of the bargain.”

Hmm.

Perhaps if Sunak was actually clever he might realise that maybe the reward hasn't come because he hasn't actually done the right thing yet? Or even that the just universe is a complete fallacy?

Odd. Perhaps Sunak is, after all, a complete idiot...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Back up now son that suggests we're ruled over by idiots, and that can't possibly be true.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Z the IVth posted:

Money laundering?
Russian sanctions?
Being too big of a dick?

I think a big money laundering/dodgy money scandal is about to break, and Farage & co are making a huge noise about having their accounts closed ahead of that story breaking so they can try to steer the narrative. The timing of it is suspicious, given the recent liquidation of the Russian troll farm network post coup attempt, and with it the Kremlin cash. Farage used to literally work for RT.

e2a: I read somewhere in the Ukraine thread that there are now many thousands of recently unemployed ex trolls, and many of them probably have evidence that they could easily sell to western interests. It'll also be interesting to see if online engagement suddenly drops for some people/platforms etc.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 1, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Noooo!!! I worked hard and solved problems and you're not giving me any of my just rewards!!

Haha gravity waves go brrrr

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think if i was the boss of everyone and had a billion quid that I'd probably consider that the universe had done me a few favours

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Umbra Dubium posted:

Hmm.

Perhaps if Sunak was actually clever he might realise that maybe the reward hasn't come because he hasn't actually done the right thing yet? Or even that the just universe is a complete fallacy?

Odd. Perhaps Sunak is, after all, a complete idiot...

he doesn’t even grasp the basic fact that he backstabbed his way to the top and didn’t even kill the king, and that’s just among tory voters

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

he doesn’t even grasp the basic fact that he backstabbed his way to the top and didn’t even kill the king, and that’s just among tory voters

It wasn't even that interesting, it was pretty much "Which oval office is too stupid to see which way the wind is blowing?".
Which is how you end up with Kemi Badenoch, Suella Braverman, Rehman Chisti, Jeremy oval office, Sajid Javid, Penny Mordaunt, Michael Green, Rishi Sunak, Liz Truss, Tom Tugendhat and Nadim Zahawi putting their names in the hat.

The problem Sunak has is that he hasn't actually done anything with his time as PM.
He's spent months ineffectually whiffing at the small boats problem to the exclusion of every other problem facing the nation because he's worried about being flanked on the right over immigration. Because he hasn't - apparently - realised that you can't win that PR fight unless you commit to literally sinking every vessel that puts out to sea between Boulogne and Worthing. Meanwhile, every actual issue facing the UK has been getting worse and worse.
If Sunak was a halfway-competent PM, he could get away with calling the entire ERG wing of his party "fascist sympathisers" and actually work on getting ready for the next GE, but he hasn't built up any good will with the mega-wealthy because of the above, so he'll get trampled by a defaced cardboard cutout of Tony Blair in a poorly-fitting suit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Not to mention that he's like a trained parrot in interviews and he's also apparently like 25 points behind Labour in the polls currently. He wants to be told that he's doing a good job? He's clearly not.

He probably fell into thinking "Hmm yes, of course I'm successful, look at my bank account!" and because he believes in a meritocracy, that must mean that he's just the man to run the country.

As kingturnip says, the job of PM has increasingly become a case of who they can hand off the lovely stick to. The only way you can be "successful" at it now is to be a ruthless bastard who doesn't give the slightest poo poo about the real problems facing the country, and you have to be brazen enough to lie about them or ignore them... which Boris was good at... but as we've seen, even that can only last so long.

Like, I don't see a path back to where being PM is something that anyone can enjoy and/or be proud of. Either you're a shill for big money and late-capitalist plundering of the public purse, and you're completely in bed with the most venal bastards going in the Tory party, the media and big business (all of which are incredibly intertwined and overlapping), or if you were on the left and you could somehow get in and try to be a reformer, you'd just get ratfucked by the above. Everything is too corrupt. The PM doesn't even have any real power anymore because they're at the mercy of people with other interests. Murdoch knows he can torpedo absolutely anyone he wants to.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
With so much of the country privatised, or captured by powerful interest groups, there's a lot less that politicians can actually do these days. One of the reasons we're seeing such a striking decline in the quality of our leaders is that they have very little influence to really change things and are mostly there for soundbites and photo ops.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That sounds awfully close to admitting we're not a democracy.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Flying by to gripe into the void about how t'BBC always has Laura Kuenssberg plastered all over its site. The stories are never "NHS now costs 10p" with a byline, it's "Kuennsberg: NHS now costs 10p" with that pic of her smugly crossarmed, the adult in the room.

Now, I've been out of the country for several years (aka a deserter) so I don't really know anything about this person tbh. Maybe she is some beloved genius with the best takes, but I doubt it.

Maybe she just does more weekend content when the Beeb all go home and all the puff pieces come out so it's more noticeable. But I don't think I've ever seen any other personality being pushed so hard by the BBC, so without checking Wikipedia my guess is she's connected to top brass somehow.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Twitter news:

Seems Melon Husk's latest wizard wheeze is to limit the number of posts you can read each day. 6000 for "verified" and 600 for freeloaders (eg me).
He claims it's to do with data scraping but seems it may be in fact that he hasn't paid the Google bill for some use of a service they provide which was due to be paid by June 30th.
Anyway given it defaults to the "for you" stream generally packed with far right idiots not the "following" stream full of good lefties or news outlets might inadvertently use your 600 up reading shite and writing yah boo sucks or whatever on a Jordy P or Birbalsingh post.

Not shared any relevant tweets above as don't know if embeds count as views!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Laura Kuenssberg being turned into a brand by the BBC is funny because I think if she left it no one would give a poo poo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

chird posted:

Flying by to gripe into the void about how t'BBC always has Laura Kuenssberg plastered all over its site. The stories are never "NHS now costs 10p" with a byline, it's "Kuennsberg: NHS now costs 10p" with that pic of her smugly crossarmed, the adult in the room.

Now, I've been out of the country for several years (aka a deserter) so I don't really know anything about this person tbh. Maybe she is some beloved genius with the best takes, but I doubt it.

Maybe she just does more weekend content when the Beeb all go home and all the puff pieces come out so it's more noticeable. But I don't think I've ever seen any other personality being pushed so hard by the BBC, so without checking Wikipedia my guess is she's connected to top brass somehow.

She was their top political "journalist" for the past few years paid about £250k pa to be a Boris shill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kuenssberg is apparently one of their top news personalities, though I don't know why really. Mostly she's just a supremely right wing oik.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

chird posted:

Maybe she is some beloved genius with the best takes, but I doubt it.

Your instincts are extremely correct

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's that ongoing rumour that she slept with Boris, too

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Twitter news:

Seems Melon Husk's latest wizard wheeze is to limit the number of posts you can read each day. 6000 for "verified" and 600 for freeloaders (eg me).
He claims it's to do with data scraping but seems it may be in fact that he hasn't paid the Google bill for some use of a service they provide which was due to be paid by June 30th.
Anyway given it defaults to the "for you" stream generally packed with far right idiots not the "following" stream full of good lefties or news outlets might inadvertently use your 600 up reading shite and writing yah boo sucks or whatever on a Jordy P or Birbalsingh post.

And you know how some people here were complaining a few days ago about not being allowed to view tweets without logging in? Turns out that may have been what caused this:

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1675217212951461890?t=CNDDIdcLT_Horye0T2_7cg&s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

kingturnip posted:

There's that ongoing rumour that she slept with Boris, too

She was certainly looking at him like she wanted to any time they were in the same room

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Twitter news:

Seemingly if you use TweetDeck the throttling doesn't apply. If you wanted to make Elon have to pay his bills...

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Dabir posted:

She was certainly looking at him like she wanted to any time they were in the same room

Do you think mad Nads cornered her at a no.10 presser whilst drunk and told her to back off?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

Laura Kuenssberg being turned into a brand by the BBC is funny because I think if she left it no one would give a poo poo.

leet like laura k

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Catzilla posted:

Do you think mad Nads cornered her at a no.10 presser whilst drunk and told her to back off?

yes

but she did that to everyone else in the room too

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

What problems could he possibly think he's solved?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I can easily believe this, but what does he imagine the reward for being competent - even 'good', by whatever measure - PM is? Public life is famously considered not the way to go if you want big bucks, and given his immense personal fortune already, that's even more true. He's so rich that even kickbacks and bribes are nothing, nevermind the actual pay he draws as PM, it's all laughable, put every penny he earns and 'earns' together and he wouldn't notice it missing if it fell down the side of the sofa.

So what kind of reward does he even expect that he's feeling hard done by for not getting? Love from the press? The party? Public adulation? Even if he did a bang-up job it's not like he's been there long enough for rosy retrospectives to be published about what a hardworking genius he is.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Puntification posted:

What problems could he possibly think he's solved?

The scourge of onshore windfarms?
And by extension the threat of having a planet to live on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ms Adequate posted:

So what kind of reward does he even expect that he's feeling hard done by for not getting? Love from the press? The party? Public adulation? Even if he did a bang-up job it's not like he's been there long enough for rosy retrospectives to be published about what a hardworking genius he is.
I think it's the magic polling numbers. They can seriously affect delicate privileged Tory egos. Rishi is going to be the captain in charge when the party hits the iceberg, and he's going to be remembered for sinking the ship. That's got to hurt....

Talking of which, I wish this kind of mentality was unique, but there are sadly many melted brained boomer types who genuinely believe this, and who won't have died by the time the next election takes place:

I've said at least once in ukmt's of old that I believe that Boris will be our leader (dictator?) yet again.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 2, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's time for serious politics, where my favourite man off the telly makes the party of my dreams and all the good mps go with him and everything is better afterwards. You lefties and your idealistic communist nonsense need to grow up and live in the real world.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I created this a while back to reply to Boris cultists. I have a feeling I'm going to be using it a lot in the runup to the next GE:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the laura knuessberg thing is interesting in that she’s probably the only “young” bbc politics / news person they can probably push as a “celebrity interviewer”

bbc management are desperately trying to get rid of all their established names (who have been there decades) and the bench below is absolutely bare

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Much like the Tories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Make Albion Great Again