Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

TenementFunster posted:

yeah, actual malice for public figure defamation is a high bar, but toye might have met it! dude was really going hog wild! i'm not saying i would have preferred vic's odds over toye's, but there's a sufficient basis for vic at least bringing that claim based on an allegation that toye was making some of that poo poo up with the intent of harming vic's career. like you said, proving it would have been hard, but that could have been a matter for a jury (or leverage in a settlement negotiation). instead, vic's lawyers hosed it up so profoundly and instead made their client defamation-proof.

You think there's any chance of producing clear and convincing evidence that Toye does not actually believe what he's saying without getting discovery? Not that some reasonable person would not have believed it, but that Ron Toye, personally, did not believe it? Because if you can't get clear and convincing evidence that Ron Toye, not some hypothetical reasonable person, did not believe that, without getting discovery, you're dead at the TCPA before a jury gets involved - you need at least enough that if there were no conflicting evidence, a judge would be able to rule for you at summary judgment, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The defendant couldn't possibly believe Vic Mignogna is some sort of poo poo demon like the one in Dogma, so calling him a piece of poo poo is clearly actual malice.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Exercu posted:

You think there's any chance of producing clear and convincing evidence that Toye does not actually believe what he's saying without getting discovery? Not that some reasonable person would not have believed it, but that Ron Toye, personally, did not believe it? Because if you can't get clear and convincing evidence that Ron Toye, not some hypothetical reasonable person, did not believe that, without getting discovery, you're dead at the TCPA before a jury gets involved - you need at least enough that if there were no conflicting evidence, a judge would be able to rule for you at summary judgment, basically.
hate to be the bearer of bad news but TenementFunster is just repeating the consensus of lawtwitter on what claims could have survived the TCPA if ty and percy weren't so incompetent. it has nothing to do with the merits behind those claims any further down the road

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Not really, no. The consensus of lawtwitter was that one of the claims against Rial (The hotel story) could potentially survive the TCPA if Vic had actually denied that the event happened, and not just gone "i don't remember???" but Ron's dubiously sourced stuff from PULL? Nah. (Also, iirc, it was actually Toye's homeowner's insurance that was on the hook for it anyway, so there's no way to use the lawsuit to really pressure Ron personally)

Exercu fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 1, 2023

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mors Rattus posted:

He hasn’t had to pay poo poo because we’re still in halftime babey, I’m pretty sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wasabi the J posted:

Look who are we getting to revoice his performances when we damnatio memoriae this dude?

At least in one instance - and Vic's most popular "recent" one - was Johnny Yong Bosch for Broly. I like the idea they just use JYB for everything Vic did now. Just come out with a complete redub of FMB with everything the same but YJB is Ed. Go all out.

The worst I've heard about Bosch is that he gets those random "he was a dick to me at a con" stories that I think everybody has.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

His replacements for Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe and Bleach were also pretty spot-on with their imitations of his voice as well.

Frankly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Funi used the next milestone anniversary of FMA as an opportunity to do a redub.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Aaron Dismuke as Ed :hmmyes:

Honestly I don't think replacing Vic will be a challenge. All current and newcoming talent are comparable, if not more talented than him. Vic was good but I can't think of any voice of his that would be irreplaceable.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
uh does vic have anything else going on in his life or is his day to day just hanging out on livestreams and discord trying to hit on young women? because its not like he was well prepared for the previous court case and depositions

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At this point? No, he has nothing else.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He sometimes enjoys trying to make a meet and greet hapoen, only to have to hold it in the parking lot when someone calls and gives Denny's the heads up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Exercu posted:

am i representing Vic Mignogna? if so, absolutely, your honor

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

He has mom’s money last I understood?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

am i representing Vic Mignogna? if so, absolutely, your honor
I'm not asking if you're willing to light Vic Mignogna on fire like you're Ty Beard. I'm asking what your best pitch is for "I have direct evidence of Ron's mental state at the time of posting those tweets, and it was that he believed those tweets contained falsehoods."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

He has mom’s money last I understood?

Yeah, Vic's course is the stereotypical 'white man who comes from money.' It's probably not enough to help him fully pretend he's Captain Kirk* so he needs to do other things.

*In case anybody forgot about Star Trek Continues, it was Vic's attempt at his own personal fanfiction where he starred as Kirk, Todd Haberkorn** as Spock and other randos including I think maybe James Doohan's son. It was whatever but Vic once claimed it was 'endorsed' by William Shatner because Shatner allegedly told him he liked the idea at a con or something but whomever runs Shatner's Twitter absolutely denied it as I recall.

**Todd had his own allegation but apparently nothing came of it?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Vic's course is the stereotypical 'white man who comes from money.' It's probably not enough to help him fully pretend he's Captain Kirk* so he needs to do other things.

*In case anybody forgot about Star Trek Continues, it was Vic's attempt at his own personal fanfiction where he starred as Kirk, Todd Haberkorn** as Spock and other randos including I think maybe James Doohan's son. It was whatever but Vic once claimed it was 'endorsed' by William Shatner because Shatner allegedly told him he liked the idea at a con or something but whomever runs Shatner's Twitter absolutely denied it as I recall.

**Todd had his own allegation but apparently nothing came of it?

Oh, Shatner really does not like Vic. Vic told a bit of a tall tale, and Shatner did not like it one bit.

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/937761172094197760?s=20&t=HYVpIt1HxqVvcmqiOPyr7A

And yeah, Todd Haberkorn has his own credible allegations against him, (I know one of the women in question, even), but Todd was savvy enough to not light his entire career on fire with the propane that is a defamation lawsuit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Look who are we getting to revoice his performances when we damnatio memoriae this dude?

Zeno Robinson's a pretty strong pick. Plus it'd break Vic's chud brain and all of his fans' chud brains even harder if a black dude stole all his jobs :v:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Exercu posted:

Oh, Shatner really does not like Vic. Vic told a bit of a tall tale, and Shatner did not like it one bit.

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/937761172094197760?s=20&t=HYVpIt1HxqVvcmqiOPyr7A

And yeah, Todd Haberkorn has his own credible allegations against him, (I know one of the women in question, even), but Todd was savvy enough to not light his entire career on fire with the propane that is a defamation lawsuit.

LMAO that is some straight up Tommy Tallarico "I was handpicked by Shigeru Miyamoto to do the sound design for Metroid Prime because he was such a personal fan of MY work*" poo poo.

*Spoiler: Tallarico was none of those things but has spent the past 15 years telling everyone he was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

LMAO that is some straight up Tommy Tallarico "I was handpicked by Shigeru Miyamoto to do the sound design for Metroid Prime because he was such a personal fan of MY work*" poo poo.

*Spoiler: Tallarico was none of those things but has spent the past 15 years telling everyone he was.

Other favorite claims: "First American to work on Sonic the Hedgehog" (no) and "filmed on MTV's Cribs" (also no).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Happy Landfill posted:

I think we've all seen the oof video

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lying about being on MTV Cribs is one of the saddest lies I've ever heard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gyges posted:

Lying about being on MTV Cribs is one of the saddest lies I've ever heard.

There is one level deeper. I’ve seen people lie about having seen the episode

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Other favorite claims: "First American to work on Sonic the Hedgehog" (no)

My favourite part of this claim is all throughout hbomberguy's video about Tallarico I was thinking that he must have done some music on one of the Mega Drive games to make that claim have some legitimacy. Turned out that the game he worked on was one of the Wii games.

Sonic 2 was made in America! He wasn't even loving close!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Grassy Knowles posted:

There is one level deeper. I’ve seen people lie about having seen the episode

This is like that guy who made up fake Street Sharks episodes and characters and vandalized the wiki for it to the point he successfully convinced a surprising number of people that they had actually watched those episodes.

https://medium.com/pcmag-access/how-i-used-lies-about-a-cartoon-to-prove-history-is-meaningless-on-the-internet-6c88bcbc62d7

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

I don't understand how anyone thought doing business with that guy was a good idea, if they had ever seen his appearances on EP. He just oozed slimeball energy.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

I think we've all seen the oof video

This is specifically for those who don't watch two-hour youtube essays on a regular basis. Just in case

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 2, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Veotax posted:

My favourite part of this claim is all throughout hbomberguy's video about Tallarico I was thinking that he must have done some music on one of the Mega Drive games to make that claim have some legitimacy. Turned out that the game he worked on was one of the Wii games.

Sonic 2 was made in America! He wasn't even loving close!

Even if he wanted to say he was the first American to provide music for a Sonic game

Michael Jackson

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

This is like that guy who made up fake Street Sharks episodes and characters and vandalized the wiki for it to the point he successfully convinced a surprising number of people that they had actually watched those episodes.

https://medium.com/pcmag-access/how-i-used-lies-about-a-cartoon-to-prove-history-is-meaningless-on-the-internet-6c88bcbc62d7

That's how the Planters peanut mascot got his name. Some kid that was a Wikipedia editor defaced the Mr Peanut page and reversed all the attempts to remove the defacement. Because he was a "trusted editor" the other editors sided with him when people complained about the defacement. Some social media rep from the company read the wiki page and tweeted that his full name is Bartholomew Richard Fitzgerald-Smythe so now it's considered cannon and it can't be removed from Wikipedia.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

B33rChiller posted:

I don't understand how anyone thought doing business with that guy was a good idea, if they had ever seen his appearances on EP. He just oozed slimeball energy.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of tommy's legitimate career in gaming happened before electric playground existed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He's either one of the few folks that had the patience to make Sega's Genesis sound program sound good, or one of the few that had access to an actually good composer dev kit that worked on it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The real comedy is apparently after bomberguy's video, even more people piped up with allegations about tommy stealing some if not all of the music he was actually theoretically notable for.

https://twitter.com/lebrickster/status/1643222953293762560

also some people are questioning whether he actually plays the guitar during VGL performances or just air guitars a sync but I think the jurys's out on that

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Maybe it's a selection effect, but it really feels like there were so many opportunities for Gen Xers who were in their 20s and 30s during the 90s dot com boom era, so long as they had a seed of generational wealth, to absolutely break out into easy comfort. So examples like Tallarico who had enough capital to accrue a sound production studio. Or Mignogna who came from upper middle class wealth, which let him bum around for decades trying out dumb careers and getting kicked out of schools and youth pastors for harassing teen girls, into a voice acting role right as anime was breaking out into the mainstream. Or people like Lowtax who could live a lifestyle of oxy and gourmet cookies. Or hell, even people like Steven Paddock.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The real comedy is apparently after bomberguy's video, even more people piped up with allegations about tommy stealing some if not all of the music he was actually theoretically notable for.

Shoutout to the amazing line: "In California, if you do music for a living, you have to wear a lot of hats or you wind up eating your kids,"

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

also some people are questioning whether he actually plays the guitar during VGL performances or just air guitars a sync but I think the jurys's out on that

This one makes me absolutely nuts because Earthworm Jim is like, usually the first thing he lists in the things he's done and I think it's the one people are most likely to recognize right off the bat (that and Aladdin) and then he turns out he probably didn't do this one either!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Maybe it's a selection effect, but it really feels like there were so many opportunities for Gen Xers who were in their 20s and 30s during the 90s dot com boom era, so long as they had a seed of generational wealth, to absolutely break out into easy comfort. So examples like Tallarico who had enough capital to accrue a sound production studio. Or Mignogna who came from upper middle class wealth, which let him bum around for decades trying out dumb careers and getting kicked out of schools and youth pastors for harassing teen girls, into a voice acting role right as anime was breaking out into the mainstream. Or people like Lowtax who could live a lifestyle of oxy and gourmet cookies. Or hell, even people like Steven Paddock.
I think I've already said it in this thread, but naming your company both you first AND last name just screams, "my parents were my main investors," to me. Like, it's not just Tallarico Studios, it's TOMMY Tallarico Studios, so you know without a doubt that this company belongs to Tommy and no one else. Getting Don Lafontaine to read your name for your company's vanity logo just cinches that for me.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Exercu posted:

Vic's response further down is absolutely pathetic and hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarkSol posted:

Vic's response further down is absolutely pathetic and hilarious.

Vic's not wrong, in this instance. One of his daughters has been running Shatner's Twitter account for years but other than it is pure, as the youth say, copium.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dawgstar posted:

Vic's not wrong, in this instance. One of his daughters has been running Shatner's Twitter account for years but other than it is pure, as the youth say, copium.

wait is that why it was posting "opinions" for a while

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

wait is that why it was posting "opinions" for a while

Bingo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
new lore discovered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dawgstar posted:

So his daughter was the one posting Chudshit and crying about people being too sensitive?

What