Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I just hope we'll be getting back to the good old days of parts of the space station detaching and being bound to the movement of the player ship instead.
It was the best of times; it was the worst of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

They'll manage something like removing the space station but if you fly your ship into the wrong place where it used to be you'll materialise inside it

"You son of a bitch! You moved the station, but you didn't move the loading zones!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Randalor posted:

"You son of a bitch! You moved the station, but you didn't move the loading zones!"

Oh I meant worse than that, somehow your ship is in the previously walkable sections of the station.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Fil5000 posted:

Oh I meant worse than that, somehow your ship is in the previously walkable sections of the station.

Not thinking large enough or CI¬G enough. Somehow your ship is the previously walkable sections of the station. And then you obviously can't undock from yourself, or from anything, really because you're just a ship and not docked at all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Instead of deleting the space station they accidental delete everything outside the space station.

It takes two weeks to fix.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

i thought monocle cat was a retired social worker :thunk:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The station becomes the player. Every part of the station made out of nightmarish cronenberg-esque body horror as the game loads the player model for every part of the station, before twisting and warping them to the proper shapes. Hand rails made of mile-long player. Floor tiles of player crushed down and stretched out to make the meter by meter plates. Every stair a seperate player, staring at you with long-dead eyes.

Attempting to delete the nightmare station leaves a void in the programming causing anyone to load into the game to suffer a crash so bad it corrupts their computer registry and erases the BIOS (it was a particularly bad crash).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Randalor posted:

The station becomes the player. Every part of the station made out of nightmarish cronenberg-esque body horror as the game loads the player model for every part of the station, before twisting and warping them to the proper shapes. Hand rails made of mile-long player. Floor tiles of player crushed down and stretched out to make the meter by meter plates. Every stair a seperate player, staring at you with long-dead eyes.

Attempting to delete the nightmare station leaves a void in the programming causing anyone to load into the game to suffer a crash so bad it corrupts their computer registry and erases the BIOS (it was a particularly bad crash).

I have no ship. And I must station.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The year is 2948. Star Citizen is so realistic, literally reality could be gameplay. The uncertainty has gripped the ‘verse in fear. I go to board my Cutter for comfort. She is cake.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006

quote:

now dismissed (by CIG staff) as merely 'concept art'

could say this about 99% of star citizen tbh

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/8umflhf.mp4

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I’m sure it will be a very short period of time , if it hasn’t happened already

Where either cig or a backer will claim this is all part of the master plan , you see this station was the first thing in the game

It’s clearly out dated and won’t “work” with all the new stuff they’ve packed into the game since , so it has to go to make room for a newer and better thing in its place you see

In fact this is all proof of positive forward progress they would only start removing things if they’re so certain that soon the pipes will overflow with cool NEW space stations and not that dingy old port ollisar piece of poo poo

Which by the way makes you explode if you try to fly through the spinning rings now , it used to not do that so they’re actually making things worse over time

Whodathunkit

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Is this another station they're removing? Or is that the one they removed ages ago but it was totally fine because it was supposed to be in another system and that other system will release any time now as soon as server meshing gets figured out.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Instead of deleting the space station they accidental delete everything outside the space station.

It takes two weeks to fix.

Ctrl + z, invert selection, delete key. Make sure not to hit shift + delete, in case you gotta get it back later.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Is this another station they're removing? Or is that the one they removed ages ago but it was totally fine because it was supposed to be in another system and that other system will release any time now as soon as server meshing gets figured out.

i dont keep a close enough eye to say, but this is the one with the spinny rings that i think was the 'first' place in the entire massive open world

its the orbital station that was featured in all the hilarious first gifs and videos with poo poo exploding left right and centre constantly, and the rings would stutter and always be lagging

and as someone above mentioned you could somehow take control of the rings and drive them around like space go carts

it was all absolutely hilarious and its a sad day they're killing it off for unknown reasons other than 'shrug why not?'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Visiting spectrum is always good for a chuckle, I guess Xenothreat is back for the fifth time or so? Backers are loving it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

Visiting spectrum is always good for a chuckle, I guess Xenothreat is back for the fifth time or so? Backers are loving it.

i got a notification about that on reddit too and took a peek, holy NO one in the thread is speaking positive its all completely negative

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Xenothreat is back on the menu, still with 0% xeno

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

All those complain just show how good SC has became.
Today at 12:39

It's simple.
Players wanna play and enjoy games that they like and find good.

If this game don't work as intended, they complain because they just want to enjoy the game at his full potential.

If the game wasn't good in the first place, no one will complain because it's a waste of time even at his best state.

It's a cliché, but SC is in development.
For 50 playes that understand that, another 50 players don't.

So, before complain, remember that.
Maybe you just want to play your favorite game, but you are first of all an alpha tester.

Relax and that it easy.
:psyduck:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JugbandDude posted:

Xenothreat is back on the menu, still with 0% xeno

That's perfectly tailored for the aging conservative SC player base. There is no actual threat but they still have a strong fear and hatred towards anything different from themselves.

Being told there is a threat is enough.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

My suggestion for their events

Have one ship the players can pilot call it “the dad”. It features a white skin, a goatee or beard your choice , and Oakley sunglasses on top

All the weapons shoot piles of cash in different amounts

And the enemy ships are all of varying differences but look nothing like the dad ship

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

...and everything is going very badly
This is a value judgement, while there are those who may share your attitude it doesn't accurately reflect what is happening.

A game is like a jigsaw puzzle, there's no way for anyone to make a full judgement on it until all the pieces are in.

The second part of your argument is that it is taking too long. Again a value judgement but based upon what? How other games are made? The majority of games are made behind locked doors and no-one gets to even hear about them until they are in the feature complete stage. Even when they reveal a game they virtually never detail all the R&D that went into making the game engine that produced that game.

Let's take Starfield as an example. They are using Creation Engine 2, a revised and hopefully updated version of Creation Engine which itself was based on the Gamebryo engine which by the time they wanted to make Skyrim V they felt was outdated. The Creation Engine began development around 2011.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_Engine

Bethesda don't, and likely won't, talk about any adjunct tools they have developed to make Starfield - so that is an unknown.

Listening carefully to Todd Howard's presentation on Starfield I was listening to hear how they had updated Creation Engine because I have used it to make Skyrim V mods, I know it's capabilities and limitations (somewhat). The only new feature he mentioned, proud as he was of the work his team had done, was that now NPC's can use ladders. Yes that's definitely different to Skyrim V.

You want 'a game' but seem oblivious to what needs to be done to actually make a game. The amount of R&D that CIG has done is quite frankly phenomenal in the time when compared to other game engines, they have tackled problems that other studios don't even dare to attempt because the plan is to make a game on a scale, and yet at an FPS level usually only for 'small map games' , that is what other game developers would call 'daunting'. The reason they can do that is because of the unique partnership they have made with a community to develop a funding model that otherwise would not support that amount of R&D.

So how long should it take? No-one knows, not even CIG because it has never been done this way before. There is nothing to make a comparison to. The whole point of the project was to make the end goal paramount rather than producing a known product to satisfy a bunch of investors simply looking to make a profit.

Star Citizen was from inception intended to be a co-partnership between game developers and their gaming community, something never attempted by any game developer and outside of a few niche indy projects it has never been done this way before.

It's not finished yet, it's not even feature complete yet, indeed many of the tools they need to make it all a reality are still in development (refinement) and many many times over the last 10 years people have told them they would never be able to do the things they plan to do - yet they have done those things. Yes, sometimes it took longer than they, or we, hoped but the point is - they have done it. It's very hard to see how all the the things fit together to make that whole jigsaw puzzle a reality, especially if you have little to no inside knowledge of the way things are usually done.

The game is not 'broken' because you can only apply such a term to finished released game. Star Citizen is still being built piece by piece with many pieces yet to go in and one of the main draws for many to this project is that we get to see all the processes that go into making this puzzle fit together, see how the sausage gets made.

You don't have to stay to watch it, but whatever you decide you and anyone else is welcome to come and enjoy the fruits of all that labour, and community patience, when it does finally come together.

If you want to be pedantic, then Starfield has been at the very least 12 years in development and it still doesn't have some of the capabilities that this 'broken alpha' has right now, and unless there are some truly heroic modders out there, it never will. Todd Howard in his Starfield presentation acknowledged the input (thus work) from years of people modding Bethesda games and we know some of those advances will feature in Starfield... they used them in their Skyrim V VR release as well.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ok now he sounds like himself again. Was that earlier moment of clarity just a weak moment or is his mental shell cracking? Pisscat's mental state is a lot more interesting than anything that's happening with SC.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kinda feel bad for Cat Dude. When he hits the moment of clarity it’s going to be like a 2 bottle of whisky a day drinker realising they need to hit an AA meeting. Feels like it’s not far off for him either

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

If the game is bad stop complaining and it won’t be bad anymore. Simple.

This just in: Study shows poor people should just stop being poor.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

trucutru posted:

lol "porting ships over to starfield"

that's a troll right

you can definitely make a judgement about a jigsaw puzzle before all the pieces are in. i reckon i'd know a jigsaw puzzle is goatse after like 90% of the pieces are in place

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Game out?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Always has been.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

5 more minutes years

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

quote:

...Skyrim V...
...Skyrim V...
...Skyrim V...
...Skyrim V...

Told you. After the post-Starfield-reveal huff and the terse doesn't-look-like-anything-to-me missives, The Politburo Council Of Pisscats has regrouped and he's back on his bullshit.

quote:

A game is like a jigsaw puzzle, there's no way for anyone to make a full judgement on it until all the pieces are in.

The absolute loving state of this. He can't be serious.

Just in the AAA space alone, how many games are retooled or just outright cancelled after initial playtests indicate nothing's working? Hell, Horizon ZD started out as "bald space marines shooting machine guns at dinosaurs".

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

lobsterminator posted:

That's perfectly tailored for the aging conservative SC player base. There is no actual threat but they still have a strong fear and hatred towards anything different from themselves.

Being told there is a threat is enough.

Migrant xeno caravans!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Half the anger on Reddit is that the event has completely broken the game, the other half is that they can’t side with Xenothreat and become space-Nazis.

Of course it’s all lampshaded but the fact that aliens don’t even exist in the game.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 3, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

colonelwest posted:

Half the anger on Reddit is that the event has completely broken the game, the other half is that they can’t side with Xenothreat and become space-Nazis.

Of course it’s all lampshaded but the fact that aliens don’t even exist in the game.

…also: it broke the game? How can they tell a difference?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

…also: it broke the game? How can they tell a difference?

because before the once a year 'event' the servers wouldn't melt down every 20 minutes

so they could at least pretend there was a game and meet up and make pew pew sounds with their friends

all told i can see why CIG keep doing this event, it really is showing how much progress they've made all year !

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FishMcCool posted:

All those complain just show how good SC has became.
Today at 12:39

It's simple. Imagine four chariots on the edge of a port olisar. Say a direct copy of the chariot nearest the rings is sent to the back of the line of lovely ships and takes the place of the first overly expensive eve ripoff. The formerly first chariot becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth clips thru the floor. Time works the same way.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

because before the once a year 'event' the servers wouldn't melt down every 20 minutes

What's the normal rate? 25 minutes? :haw:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
So, uhh, what has CIG done with all it's RnD time that other engines have not managed to do exactly? Why are they still going on about how amazing this engine is anyway? I thought they wanted to play a game?

quote:

many many times over the last 10 years people have told them they would never be able to do the things they plan to do - yet they have done those things

As far as I can tell, they haven't still, but I think it is more people didn't think they would get so long to flail their way to the little they have accomplished because this whole thing should have crashed and burned long ago. The whole project defies reason and not in a good way.

The fun will be layered in once the pipelines are established.

quote:

If you want to be pedantic, then Starfield has been at the very least 12 years in development

This just in, every game that uses Unreal has been in development since 1995. Similarly, Star Citizen has been in development since 2002.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 4, 2023

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

quote:

many many times over the last 10 years people have told them they would never be able to do the things they plan to do - yet they have done those things

me: you will never be able to make a video game that works, with the features you sold it on

cing, 10 years later: hmmm, turns out you were right

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
The word "never" does all the heavy lifting that backers need; when someone says Star Citizen will never get made, they think to themselves "ah, but perhaps ten years from now..." and are comforted. After all, in infinite space and with nearly infinite time, who's to say that Star Citizen as it was promised will not spontaneously coalesce out of stellar dust somewhere far away, trillions of years from now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

Trilobite posted:

The word "never" does all the heavy lifting that backers need; when someone says Star Citizen will never get made, they think to themselves "ah, but perhaps ten years from now..." and are comforted. After all, in infinite space and with nearly infinite time, who's to say that Star Citizen as it was promised will not spontaneously coalesce out of stellar dust somewhere far away, trillions of years from now?

And how much more money ? For the whole bloated show to go another 10 years !

loving scary