Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Agreed. I don’t mind fantasy games, but sci-fi mmos are few and far between (and even fewer/further if you don’t count Star Wars games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i just suddenly remembered flyff actually had pvp and it was extremely imbalanced. jesters would run around invisible clocking everyone in the back with a sack of money for their entire health pool. typical rogue poo poo

I miss the days of Jester/Clown/etc. being the default rogue in asian MMOs. I remember playing Seal as a Jester and having an ability that was just called "Throw Whatever"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Shredder posted:

I wish anarchy online would get a reboot or something, the gameplay was whatever but the setting and vibe was a gem in a sea of orcs and elves

Funcom is doing the Dune MMO thing, which AO was always close enough to to begin with. That said, the problem with Dune is that it isn't called "Anarchy Online 2".

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sachant posted:

Funcom is doing the Dune MMO thing, which AO was always close enough to to begin with. That said, the problem with Dune is that it isn't called "Anarchy Online 2".

That, and I don't really see how you can make a convincing environment out of Arrakis. I guess we will see though! From what has been shown so far, it looks like we will have sprawling huge cities, which fair, Dune has this. And underground places like sewers and caves, and huge desert mountain ranges / hills. I'm really hoping that Funcom understands that they are going to want to let players visit other planets in the Dune universe.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Project: Gorgon is finally on sale for 75% off.

Like a lot of mmos it isn't good, but it's weird and quirky enough that I can justify burning 10 bucks on it to recover my old alpha account.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Freakazoid_ posted:

Like a lot of mmos it isn't good, but it's weird and quirky enough that I can justify burning 10 bucks on it to recover my old alpha account.

I got about 30 hours into that game and it was a fun 30 hours. 10 bucks is well worth it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Hell yeah I played PG waaaaay back when it first launched as a free to play thing and actually really enjoyed the basic ideas, unfortunately they didn't really amount to much at the time and iirc the only zone available was serbule. i've considered it from time to time since then but didn't want to cough up $40 but can definitely justify $10. i actually just lost my job last month so I have time for an MMO, gonna give this an earnest try

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I was on the fence until I read this in the Steam game description:

quote:

Cow: Got turned into a cow by that boss? That sucks. But learn some kicks and how to stampede, and you'll be right back out there kicking grass in no time!

e: oof this game is old school af, but also kinda stupid funny. If y’all are playing let’s get a guild going (if such a thing is possible???)

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 2, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Project Gorgon really is an experience like nothing else even if it is pretty rough. The only MMO where you want to try to convince an admin to kill you because it's a unique death for the Dying skill

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'll definitely give PG a try, it seems like a dumb kind of fun.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Remembering my time when it was still F2P and there was an anniversary event boosting movement speed. Every once in a while you'd hear a distant moo, and suddenly a storm of ability activation noises and a glowing cow player would go flying by at a million miles per hour because Project Gorgon.

I'd consider checking it out again, but I do not remember my login details.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I did something gross and bought New World MMO during current Steam summer sale (cheapest yet), reactivated my lowbie free-weekend character, and got instanty invited to a furry guild.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I did something gross and bought New World MMO during current Steam summer sale (cheapest yet), reactivated my lowbie free-weekend character, and got instanty invited to a furry guild.

Sounds like it's going great so far what's the issue

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sounds like it's going great so far what's the issue

Just been hearing the game catching lot of flak for its leveling system, lack of end game, annoying UI, weird gameplay mechanics, horrible and toxic community, but yeah it's been great so far.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i miss the new world thread it was very funny

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Jazerus posted:

Can I absolve myself with a 6 hour probe for buying a game whose thread title clearly stated This is poo poo - Do Not Buy?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish New World was a good game. It seems like Amazon Game Studio won't be around much longer. Lost Ark is even tanking, but at least that MMO is really good, its just run out of interesting end game content, and isn't very accessible at the end game; requires grouping, and leveling up gear is a gigantic grind with a really awful failure mechanic.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

They are just saying that as a ;) ;) ;) every single person, themselves included, knows what they are really saying is "download this game from archieve.org, along with the PS2 bios, and the PS2 emulator, these things are easily findable, message someone in private, because otherwise Sony will go after us maybe."

When the time comes I could do a write up on how to set this all up if you need the help.

They're not even going that length, they have an installer on the discord that has pcsx2 all set up with the DNS set (because that's the only change needed) along with the ISO of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

They're not even going that length, they have an installer on the discord that has pcsx2 all set up with the DNS set (because that's the only change needed) along with the ISO of the game.

Discord you can get away with a lot more. What Discord were you on exactly? I couldn't find anything helpful on the Discord I was on, but maybe I visited the wrong one from EQOA. I know how to find PS2 games / PS2 bios, and setup PCSX2, but everything I could find for EQOA was 2+ years old.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've seen a couple of Youtube videos lately where folks have suggested New World has gotten a bunch of patches and is actually Not Too Bad™

Can anyone confirm whether or not these are the transparent Amazon marketing plants they seem to be?

kedo fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 3, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Can I absolve myself with a 6 hour probe for buying a game whose thread title clearly stated This is poo poo - Do Not Buy?

All mmos are poo poo so it's okay

New World was/is a weird game because on a surface level it's entirely functional and even fun but if you go one layer deeper it becomes perplexing, especially when it comes to factional warfare. Why have massive world PVP when you can have a 60 v 60 field battle between the biggest sweatlords on the server that the casual player will never get to experience to control a foundational part of the game?

Add on the absolutely *constant* economic collapses and you start to wonder who would still dedicate their time to trying to grow in the game.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kedo posted:

I've seen a couple of Youtube videos lately where folks have suggested New World has gotten a bunch of patches and is actually Not Too Bad™

Can anyone confirm whether or not these are the transparent Amazon marketing plants they seem to be?

They've made huge fixes, leveling content revamps, and added new content. And it's still the exact same it ever was: Very good and fun early game which slows down to a slog as you approach 60, where the game becomes truly garbage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

All mmos are poo poo so it's okay

New World was/is a weird game because on a surface level it's entirely functional and even fun but if you go one layer deeper it becomes perplexing, especially when it comes to factional warfare. Why have massive world PVP when you can have a 60 v 60 field battle between the biggest sweatlords on the server that the casual player will never get to experience to control a foundational part of the game?

Add on the absolutely *constant* economic collapses and you start to wonder who would still dedicate their time to trying to grow in the game.

The PvE content also falls off the cliff at level 60. There just isn't anything to do for anyone at the end game, and it still hasn't been addressed.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Lies, you can "x up" to run around an elite area looting chests for random throwaway loot to up your expertise alongside a couple dozen other players every day.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Hell yes it was. Being a primary contributor to getting Tempus Thales banned is one of my proudest posting moments

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I said come in! posted:

Discord you can get away with a lot more. What Discord were you on exactly? I couldn't find anything helpful on the Discord I was on, but maybe I visited the wrong one from EQOA. I know how to find PS2 games / PS2 bios, and setup PCSX2, but everything I could find for EQOA was 2+ years old.

EQOA Revival (aka Return Home I think?): https://discord.gg/nAd4HbmxTC

https://projectreturnhome.com/DownloadFiles/EverQuest-Online-Adventures-Frontiers-Prima.pdf

aw yeah

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Fajita Queen posted:

Hell yes it was. Being a primary contributor to getting Tempus Thales banned is one of my proudest posting moments

was he an awful New World shill?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Checked up on Ashes of Creation tonight, game is still in alpha phase 1.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Autisanal Cheese posted:

he was an everything shill. he's been desperate for Goon Approval since he joined as a j4g to sell tshirts. he was the kind of guy who's immediately jump into every single new game and immediately set up The Official Goon Guild so he could be in charge of it lol

he wormed his way into an admin role in the former Goon Discord Network bot and his lovely creep behavior and his racist friends are largely what brought it down

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Are there any other p99 players who raid here? If so, what guild(s) are you in?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

God I played starbase with TT and he was the weirdest loving dude, and to he set up the goon guild for that game too.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Yeah, in addition to what Babe Magnet said above he ran the New World guild on a discord server that had a couple of his permabanned racist buddies on it and when that was discovered it blew the gently caress up, culminating in him booting everyone and selling our territory to a competing guild then posting a long rant in the thread which got him banned.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It was quite the journey to read it and by far the only good part of New World, never heard of him before but somehow he just apparently made every goon guild first so he could be in charge.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Fajita Queen posted:

Yeah, in addition to what Babe Magnet said above he ran the New World guild on a discord server that had a couple of his permabanned racist buddies on it and when that was discovered it blew the gently caress up, culminating in him booting everyone and selling our territory to a competing guild then posting a long rant in the thread which got him banned.

that was very good

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It was quite the journey to read it and by far the only good part of New World, never heard of him before but somehow he just apparently made every goon guild first so he could be in charge.

I don't remember a single guild before New World where he actually was in charge. He made a lot of the guilds but nobody took him seriously because he was such an absolute transparent idiot, all the time. He'd always be in some sort of nebulous "officer" role because he did poo poo like set up and manage discords without asking.

I think what happened with New World was the launch was so huge but also so mismanaged with the servercaps that a lot of the people who ended up in the New World goon guilds weren't really aware of the village idiot, and I know many of the people who were usually there to dunk on him never signed up at all. He finally found an environment where his "if I make the guild, I'll be the most important person" shtick could actually work. Except he just couldn't help himself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah he was never a leadership role kind of guy, he just wanted the credit for getting everything going. he was actually pretty bad at directing people and getting stuff done and interacting with other groups but he ran the discord/ventrilo/mumble/whatever so your options were limited.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 4, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking as someone who has done both MMO guildmastering and Discord server administration anyone who tries to do it for a sense of power and authority is both delusional and insane. The joke about herdings cats does not imply that the shepard is in charge or respected. Seriously trying to do it more than once should be recorded on a government database for possible antisocial personalities.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
lol

new world is just gonna pull a dune GW style

ride the sandwurm

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

lol

new world is just gonna pull a dune GW style

ride the sandwurm

The new trailer is a scene for scene copy of the Dune part 2 trailer lol, even down to the dialog. It really drives home just how soulless New World is, and how it lacks any sort of identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

a shot or a dialogue reference could have been cute but just lifting the whole thing is tacky lol