Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Literally A Person posted:

We call those ones the widow makers.

Loooool how have I not heard this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

Loooool how have I not heard this

Meet THE DEATHTRAPS

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Just went rollerblading for the first time since I was 13. No idea how the brake works and I fell down and hyperextended my shoulder but I’m still gonna try and get out there again tomorrow

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Strange Cares posted:

Just went rollerblading for the first time since I was 13. No idea how the brake works and I fell down and hyperextended my shoulder but I’m still gonna try and get out there again tomorrow

It's extremely addictive.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Yeah I'm hooked. I skate every day. Even if its just around the house or the garage, I get at least a little bit in

Currently trying to get backwards crossovers down

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The backward crossover is sick because it makes you look like you kick rear end at skating regardless of any other skating fundamentals.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Almost none of the quad street skaters in London wear toe stops of any kind - you might see jam plugs but that’s about it. The general feeling is that you have no business skating on streets until you have enough ability to fully control your speed and a repertoire of different stops that do not require toe stoppers.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

Almost none of the quad street skaters in London wear toe stops of any kind - you might see jam plugs but that’s about it. The general feeling is that you have no business skating on streets until you have enough ability to fully control your speed and a repertoire of different stops that do not require toe stoppers.

If I was just skating streets I could see having something without stops but when it comes to park skating it's a big no.

Be pretty fun for jamming though....

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've really gotta learn some actual techniques beyond forward crossovers, going fast and braking well enough to support going fast.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

If I was just skating streets I could see having something without stops but when it comes to park skating it's a big no.

Be pretty fun for jamming though....

Reminding me I need new grind blocks here.

I haven’t worn brakes on my skates in literal years, they’re more a hindrance than a boon the way they can unexpectedly catch ground irregularities etc.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

Reminding me I need new grind blocks here.

I haven’t worn brakes on my skates in literal years, they’re more a hindrance than a boon the way they can unexpectedly catch ground irregularities etc.

I've been itching to try out some grind blocks. I do some stalls between axles but to actually get a good slide in looks like a poo poo load of fun. Are blocks pretty universal or do I need specific blocks for my plates?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Hey thread - I got these skates ( https://www.rei.com/product/208252/rollerblade-rb-cruiser-inline-skates ) about two years ago and have gradually been learning. I've got up to the point of feeling genuinely comfortable and reasonably maneuverable, like slaloming flexible traffic pylons on middling-lovely pavement with gravel present. Haven't learned how to do any proper stops yet, though I can do the functional equivalent of a beginning skiier's snowplow to kill my speed pretty effectively.

Probably time for me to upgrade my wrist guards -- there's a plastic ring that one of the straps doubles back through and it's about to come off.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

prisoner of waffles posted:

Hey thread - I got these skates ( https://www.rei.com/product/208252/rollerblade-rb-cruiser-inline-skates ) about two years ago and have gradually been learning. I've got up to the point of feeling genuinely comfortable and reasonably maneuverable, like slaloming flexible traffic pylons on middling-lovely pavement with gravel present. Haven't learned how to do any proper stops yet, though I can do the functional equivalent of a beginning skiier's snowplow to kill my speed pretty effectively.

Probably time for me to upgrade my wrist guards -- there's a plastic ring that one of the straps doubles back through and it's about to come off.

187 makes rainbow patterned pads that are p awesome.

https://187killerpads.com/collections/pads/products/wrist-guard-rainbow?variant=41255763411084

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 14, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
definitely go out there with the intention of practicing some stops at least some of the time you're skating around. It's really important to know how to stop yourself because you never know when a kid or dog or an oblivious adult is going to dramatically change direction and step right in front of you.

Drag stop and spin stop (name? power stop as the guy calls it in the video I linked last page) are usually the easiest. Drag stop requires you to practice balancing on one foot, which you'll get better and better at pretty naturally, but helps to do it intentionally sometimes. The spin stop you can get a feel for by turning tighter and tighter as shown in the video. It can also help to throw the outside foot kind of wide when you do a turn to help brace you for the sudden change in direction and get you lower to the ground I guess

edit: here's a guy doing slaloming to slow down as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eo6j5U_kUg

Mauser fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 14, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Yeah stopping is a good skill but so is learning how to check unsuspecting pedestrians into the bushes as you pass by.

Just saying

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
This morning I totally didn’t go 90% head-under-heels on a railing because I came in hotter than I thought and totally forgot how to stop. Not at all.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The surfaces are so poo poo where I am that when I try practicing slide stops I end up catching and just dead stopping and nearly carrying straight over. Not a wide enough stance I guess.

Yeah stopping is a good skill but so is learning how to check unsuspecting pedestrians into the bushes as you pass by.

Just saying

If you haven't blasted straight through the middle of a group of pedestrians because you came into a corner way too hot and had to skip onto the pavement can you even call yourself a skater?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Quad maintenance day thoughts: Radar Energy aqua kinda suck, too small for real roads (which are not smooth) and too soft to be great for flat. Also realized I’d put my g2s into my moxi gummis, so i swapped them into the radars and put g3s into the gummies. It feels so very nice and luxurious after the G2s that had been gettin dirty for about 300 mi.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I did not like the radar energy (65mm) when I tried them . Although they’re supposedly the same softness as what I usually roll on they absolutely schlurped onto any surface and felt extremely slow.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
99-101a erry day

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
But for some actual advice: I totally recommend Bont's streetflows. Hard enough to actually get a decent cruising speed and soft enough to feel comfy while you roll.

If you ever head to the skatepark, Bont's parkflows are insanely good for the price. Bowl Bomber quality at 2/3 the price

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Thanks for the rec

Went to sleep in compression knee sleeves, woke up feeling ready to skate, skated. A good morning

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

But for some actual advice: I totally recommend Bont's streetflows. Hard enough to actually get a decent cruising speed and soft enough to feel comfy while you roll.

If you ever head to the skatepark, Bont's parkflows are insanely good for the price. Bowl Bomber quality at 2/3 the price

Bont is quality stuff but 58mm is waay too small for me. I’d be interested to try something 65mm harder than 78A but it seems all the big wheels are squishy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Banano posted:

Bont is quality stuff but 58mm is waay too small for me. I’d be interested to try something 65mm harder than 78A but it seems all the big wheels are squishy.

Rollerbones does a 62 in 98a but I can't say I've tried them but might be a good place to start looking

https://www.amazon.com/RollerBones-...2425943952&th=1

Also, if you're good with skateboard wheels you may look into these:

https://nhsskatedirect.com/products...DRoCjcAQAvD_BwE

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 17, 2023

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, lol fell in the skatepark and am suffering from a case of hamburger leg. Anyone else use xeroform for road rash. Works a drat miracle for me.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Tegaderm is good, too, bikers swear by it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I decided gently caress it I have plenty of acetone I’m not letting the rain get in my way of skating this week.

I’m at 75 miles from Monday and 93 from Sunday. I’ve done a few skates on more treacherous routes and have just overall been testing my limits and finding them mentally imposed rather than reflective of my capabilities.

Also I got a foldable cane so I don’t need to carry mine like a baton twirler to have it on hand for when I need to switch to walking.

Overall a lovely week for telling trains and cars to gently caress themselves.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I keep thinking of getting a set of softer wheels to use in wet conditions but I think I'm too lazy to clean the bearings each time

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I keep thinking of getting a set of softer wheels to use in wet conditions but I think I'm too lazy to clean the bearings each time

I’ve been trying to be far better at cleaning my bearings after doing all my wheels a few months ago and finding them
A. Grosser than ever before
2. In need of rotation to even wear
iii. full of failing bearings

so if I think of it as moving up my monthly cleaning rather than adding a cleaning to my schedule it’s not even really an inconvenience.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have become everything that I hate and just buy a new set of bearings when I start to get slow. It makes a good excuse to get a tire rotation in once a month or so.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

I have become everything that I hate and just buy a new set of bearings when I start to get slow. It makes a good excuse to get a tire rotation in once a month or so.

I am not trying to spend $40+ a month!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I just realised that I can switch the boots of my 4x80a (size 11 US) with my 3x110s (size 10 US) to improve the fit before I sell the 3x110s because I don't really get on with them, what an idiot!

Also for anyone else that likes a tighter fit on the ankles: it's very easy to replace the top buckle on FR skates with a spider ratchet so that you can actually get them closed. I hate the buckle style as it rips your nails of trying to get it tight.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Also for anyone else that likes a tighter fit on the ankles: it's very easy to replace the top buckle on FR skates with a spider ratchet so that you can actually get them closed. I hate the buckle style as it rips your nails of trying to get it tight.

Do you have a link? I tried googling spider ratchet and I'm getting a lot of results

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

Do you have a link? I tried googling spider ratchet and I'm getting a lot of results

They're weirdly hard to get hold of (as in, they keep going out of stock) but you can get them from Skatepro in Europe. Search for "FR Spider Buckle" and you should get some back e.g https://thuroshop.com/products/seba-spider-buckle-set

The normal straps that go across the instep work fine though they come in various different lengths that are somehow all either too short or too long.

And of course just like the normal straps they get mangled over time.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

I am not trying to spend $40+ a month!

Price of doing business, bb.

Serious skating business.

That's serious.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, $40? What bearings are you skating?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Mine are an incredibly inexpensive $35

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

They're weirdly hard to get hold of (as in, they keep going out of stock) but you can get them from Skatepro in Europe. Search for "FR Spider Buckle" and you should get some back e.g https://thuroshop.com/products/seba-spider-buckle-set

The normal straps that go across the instep work fine though they come in various different lengths that are somehow all either too short or too long.

And of course just like the normal straps they get mangled over time.

Ah ok, so it's the style of buckle that's on the foot part of the skates. I don't have too hard of a time doing the ankle buckle on my fr1, but I get it buckled a little first, then tie the laces and then do the foot buckle and then tighten up the ankle to where it's supposed to be. Getting the rest of it in place helps a bit before trying to cram the buckle in

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Also, $40? What bearings are you skating?

Bronson g3 are my bearing of choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Grassy Knowles posted:

Bronson g3 are my bearing of choice

Those sound p classy.