Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ZI SANG QUESTIONS HIS FATE

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

DIGGING A CANAL IN THE OCEAN FLOOR

ARE A DUCK'S LEGS TOO SHORT?

THE LOST GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica

Perhaps the greatest panel in any thorsby comic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time, in Vigils for Friends

Samovar posted:

Chapter 1: Kitty's First Day

And now, we learn that, even in death, one cannot escape opinions about crap television.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Messer Papero

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 10

Takako-san chapter 11

Why's a guy with a beer company selling detergent?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Miles Blundell posted:

Perhaps the greatest panel in any thorsby comic.

I concur.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having experience with narcissistic delusions and the Rejected Parents discourse, it's terrifying how what's clearly meant to be absurd extrapolation absolutely has real-world basis. And of course, one of the best ways to go unseen is to exploit psychology and culture, and simply appear to be what people aren't supposed to notice or acknowledge.

I feel like the placebo effect is probably more complicated; ancient medicine is often a mix of stuff that actually works and stuff that doesn't, and at least sometimes being willing to listen to your doctor/medicine man/shaman means you're more likely to follow treatment that actually works, and feeling better even if it's purely mental means you're more likely to take care of yourself. Similar principle in that physical health is often downstream from mental health, because it's a lot easier to take care of your body when you're not feeling like poo poo.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Had to experiment with that first page

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Red sky at night, beer salesman's delight; red sky in the morning, Takako's warning.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

She HeaRs YouR HEartBeat

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

You're not going to make Takako into the antichrist of the food gobbo cult, are you?

Also I pulled out the capitals there looking for a code, no luck.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Emzedoh posted:

You're not going to make Takako into the antichrist of the food gobbo cult, are you?

Also I pulled out the capitals there looking for a code, no luck.

Ah but if you exchange the capital letters into their equivalent in Hebrew you get:
S H R Y R H E B
ב א ה ר י ר ה ס

from which you can construct the words סהר ביארה which translate as 'crescent' 'she interpreted /explained' so clearly Takako is here to enlighten the world about the Sufi mysteries!

Spent like 15 minutes to find a passable coded message in my dumb joke, but you seemed to need one.

Keith Stack
Nov 5, 2008

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Never change.

Personality that is, your underwear do need changing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It's interesting comparing comic book styles and conventions over the ages and between different cultures. Hell, even genre is a factor. Like, Valhalla came out in the late 70s and it's clearly more of a humorous/cartoony take on Norse mythology, likely aimed at a younger audience, which is why it's weirdly bloodless. The shots of Thor, who is canonically mythically strong, attacking Fenrir, who is a veritable force of nature, has all the oomph of an eighty year old man smacking a dog with a newspaper. It doesn't really make either of them look strong, it almost makes it seem as though the gods are weirdly incompetent and the legends are exaggerations. Compare it to, say, certain comedy manga that will absolutely turn the dial up to make even a relatively mundane thing seem like a titanic conflict. Case in point, something like this scene from Nichijou. (I know animation vs comic isn't a fair comparison, but the original manga is similarly dynamic and it's just easier to link to this.) In any case, this isn't a dig at Valhalla which is quite good and was working within the conventions at the time, just me thinking out loud about how different things are different

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: "so long suckers! i rev up my ultimate attack and leave a huge cloud of dust, when it clears im lying completely dead on the pavement"

quote:

Conversation

Alt: Aspected Chaos here using the forbidden and ancient technique of 'just talk'

quote:

One Minute

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Such a coward's way of looking at things: "actually fixing things in this existence is too scary, I'll just burn down the whole of Creation and start again"
Not to mention the absolute refusal to ask all the innocent people, souls or not who might not even get reincarnated!

Fucken paternalistic techbro like outlook.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

It's interesting comparing comic book styles and conventions over the ages and between different cultures. Hell, even genre is a factor. Like, Valhalla came out in the late 70s and it's clearly more of a humorous/cartoony take on Norse mythology, likely aimed at a younger audience, which is why it's weirdly bloodless. The shots of Thor, who is canonically mythically strong, attacking Fenrir, who is a veritable force of nature, has all the oomph of an eighty year old man smacking a dog with a newspaper. It doesn't really make either of them look strong, it almost makes it seem as though the gods are weirdly incompetent and the legends are exaggerations. Compare it to, say, certain comedy manga that will absolutely turn the dial up to make even a relatively mundane thing seem like a titanic conflict. Case in point, something like this scene from Nichijou. (I know animation vs comic isn't a fair comparison, but the original manga is similarly dynamic and it's just easier to link to this.) In any case, this isn't a dig at Valhalla which is quite good and was working within the conventions at the time, just me thinking out loud about how different things are different

Valhalla itself changes style a lot over its 30 year runtime (the final album came out in 2009), with the later albums being much less childlike and whimsical than the early ones. Compare the goofy Fenris fight to the fight against Jörmungandr in album #7, which came out in ´91.

It will be interesting to follow its development in the thread.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SimonChris posted:

Valhalla itself changes style a lot over its 30 year runtime (the final album came out in 2009), with the later albums being much less childlike and whimsical than the early ones. Compare the goofy Fenris fight to the fight against Jörmungandr in album #7, which came out in ´91.

It will be interesting to follow its development in the thread.

Ah hell yeah, now that's the stuff

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Bloody hell, thorsbys biotruths are so fascinating to me. I'm used to people coming up with basically nonsense to justify whatever random poo poo they already believed about human society but thorsby is somehow on another level. Everything, without exception, is a simple genetic trait in the thorsbyverse, and he WILL find a plausible gradualistic just-so story for how it happened. He's a mad genius.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Tall Penguin

That happened to me once but the dentist was watching the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict.

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1675402485836689409?s=20

Elon Musk has gone too far this time.

Here's some random bonus art posted to twitter:

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1673300481383464961?s=20

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1674379106644029440?s=20

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1675112124258074626?s=20

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fagtastic posted:

Bloody hell, thorsbys biotruths are so fascinating to me. I'm used to people coming up with basically nonsense to justify whatever random poo poo they already believed about human society but thorsby is somehow on another level. Everything, without exception, is a simple genetic trait in the thorsbyverse, and he WILL find a plausible gradualistic just-so story for how it happened. He's a mad genius.
It's arguable that consciousness is synonymous with the ability to tell stories. Thorsby is truly the most evolved of all of us.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

rodbeard posted:

That happened to me once but the dentist was watching the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict.

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1675402485836689409?s=20

Elon Musk has gone too far this time.

Here's some random bonus art posted to twitter:

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1673300481383464961?s=20

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1674379106644029440?s=20

https://twitter.com/agu_knzm/status/1675112124258074626?s=20

Between needing to be logged in to see tweets and Twitter DDOSing themselves, posting a bunch of Twitter links isn't that effective.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Valhalla is great, I'm really surprised it doesn't have an official English translation since it seems like the sort of comic that was popular back then. Whoever did this translation did a superb job too, even the font looks fitting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Slimy Hog posted:

Between needing to be logged in to see tweets and Twitter DDOSing themselves, posting a bunch of Twitter links isn't that effective.

Absolutely, STOP POSTING TWITTER LINKS FOR NOW YOU GUYS this isn't the restricted content thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do the Twitter images that I post show up for those of you who aren't logged in?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

Do the Twitter images that I post show up for those of you who aren't logged in?

No.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ultrafilter posted:

Yes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

By popular demand posted:

Absolutely, STOP POSTING TWITTER LINKS FOR NOW YOU GUYS this isn't the restricted content thread.
That's questionable

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Normalize being a short sighted chaos gremlin

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ultrafilter posted:

Embeds and linked images are showing up fine for me, I think the issues for are having are more from twitter's various regional technical issues rather than being logged in or not.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Demon
Chapter 18.06

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, the Chowraid was going poorly.

Bean problems require bean solutions.

Beast Boy bothers Raven

this is what raven thinks of all your power swap requests

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I really can't tell if the Heathcliffs are edits or some sort of mad AI generated nonsense or not. If not, that's even funnier.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Extra Ordinary

But... nom?

I can pretty much punch anything into space

Sand... wich?

In this house we obey the laws of THERMODYNAMICS!

Cereal again huh?

Quack.

I don't even like ham

Unrelated note: Going to see the new Harry Potter movie tonight, yay!

(the last two didn't have alt text)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

barbecue at the folks posted:

I really can't tell if the Heathcliffs are edits or some sort of mad AI generated nonsense or not. If not, that's even funnier.

What does your heart tell you