Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

the industry needs to learn from like, western showrunners on how to tie off their story effectively

:ohno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

tenderjerk posted:

the thing there is the showrunners of either didn't really know when their shows would end, for the most part animes seem to have pretty hard stops with episode counts

:catstare:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
:smugdog:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 357 days!
get the showrunners of chernobyl to whip those pretty cure hacks into shape

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
didn't the game of thrones showrunners literally decide to bail on the project? kinda hard to argue that they didn't know when it would end in that case

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

G Witch has pacing issues because it's trying to juggle the genre conventions of mecha action/political thriller and shojo yuri at the same time. A lot of it probably also has to do with the production cycle, since breaking it up into two cours meant not much could be revealed in the first half, while the second half has had a breakneck pace all throughout.

In all likelihood there's going to be a sequel series because the gunpla is selling too well. I hope we get a series that focuses more on Earthians than the space school. There's an entire cast of characters that got introduced for a single episode, and a ton about the world that has yet to be fully explained or explored.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The artist got a Cease & Desist after I ordered one so I assumed I wouldn't get it. But I guess I got in just under the wire. Here it is, one of the last Miku Buc-ee's stickers ever printed

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1674439386870558721?s=46&t=kbB084LXvpaC9EB66c7D6w

sick I love this trend of 2 hour premieres. I seem to recall this one is melancholy and about an elf?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

To Your Eternity Season 2 at least has a good climax and ends on the right note, but how the gently caress is there going to be more to the story when all the plot hooks are all wrapped up? They're already working on season 3.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

wolfs posted:

https://twitter.com/mangamogurare/status/1674439386870558721?s=46&t=kbB084LXvpaC9EB66c7D6w

sick I love this trend of 2 hour premieres. I seem to recall this one is melancholy and about an elf?

IIRC it was described to me as basically an elf party member dealing with the fact that the party they adventured with is growing old and passing on without them, so yeah, very melancholy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Ranking of Kings is continuing the plot again

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Truga posted:

it honestly seems pretty common for anime where a show slowly moves along as it focuses on the characters, but then they notice "oh poo poo, only 3 eps left, time to wrap this poo poo up" and everything suddenly shifts gears
i hate it so much

they should have axed all the gund-arm stuff that didn't really go anywhere and focused on the main plot instead of just pulling out yet another solar ray attack betrayal at the 11th hour

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 01:41 on Jun 30, 2023

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

longer premieres are great, especially for shows with a plot that need a little setup before starting proper like Oshi No Ko. It's like getting to do the 3 episodes test in one go and I wish more show would take this approach. Actually, to get back on the topic of Gundam Witch From Mercury, it would have helped it a lot if it had a longer first episode to show the setting more, for instance. Oh well there'll always be Gundam Witch From Mercury Part 2 : Witch Harder or whatever they'll call it.

Btw, joke, what do the Soviet Union and Sunrise have in common? They put Yuri in space

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Harvestella is an anime, like how Xenogears and Xenosaga are anime. Anyways I just beat the dragon god at the center of the planet and we are defeating global warming through the power of friendship.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I need to catch up on gwitch but the politics seemed very libbrained or maybe I didn't see the shoe drop because I couldn't keep track of all the corporations but it seems very focused on the individuals

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Vinland Saga S2 ended incredibly strong, truly one of the greatest animes.

And then I go to the manga and apparently there's twice as many chapters and they actually go to Vinland, dang, I know what I'm doing with my weekend

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vinland Saga even has a trans rights subplot. It's genuinely one of the GOATed manga.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

wolfs posted:

The title of this manga always slaps me across the face like a dead fish. In Norwegian 'Frieren' means 'the Proposer*', specifically 'man who proposes marriage'. Whenever I see it it takes me a moment before I get that the title isn't "The guy proposing marriage at the funeral".

*'woman who proposes marriage' is 'Frierinnen' (Proposatrix).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Did you know that Osamu Tezuka's son made a movie? It's called The Legend of the Stardust Brothers, and it's July's movie of the month! You should watch it. It's free on Tubi. You should watch it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4035491

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I sat down and watched most of season 1 of Gundam 00 for the first time last week. Just started season 2.

I wish a Gundam would throw in an anime Mao or something one of these times. The new world federation somehow has non-members AND isn't equitably trying to share their unlimited solar power??? Why!???? Wouldn't everyone having electricity make bigger markets??

If 00 would properly explain Celestial Being's goals that would be good too. "End war" doesn't seem to be working.

wolfs has issued a correction as of 11:03 on Jul 2, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wolfs posted:

I sat down and watched most of season 1 of Gundam 00 for the first time last week. Just started season 2.

I wish a Gundam would throw in an anime Mao or something one of these times. The new world federation somehow has non-members AND isn't equitably trying to share their unlimited solar power??? Why!???? Wouldn't everyone having electricity make bigger markets??

If 00 would properly explain Celestial Being's goals that would be good too. "End war" doesn't seem to be working.

Don't worry, that last part is addressed. It's an extremely classic sci-fi answer

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/left_plain/status/1675526986327015429

oh dang, I gotta catch up then

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao. Though I must admit that I didn't really care for the final.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wolfs posted:

I wish a Gundam would throw in an anime Mao or something one of these times.

You know the dotlylist reason for this. Sunrise had to wait thirty years to animate Hathaway's flash after all

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

wolfs posted:

China should make a knock off Gundam series about Space Mao

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Witch from Mercury was really rushed these last few episodes but I was still happy at the end. I am NOT immune to heartwarming marriage.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

China should make a knock off Gundam series about Space Mao

protracted people's gundam war

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Political power grows out of the barrel of a beam rifle

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Whirling posted:

Political power glows out of the barrel of a beam rifle

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

GUNDAM is about fighting a hell war over school vouchers

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I guess if I've bought into Permet Theory this far (what the gently caress is a permet) I can accept that people who died from overload while piloting a Gundam live on in the data storm but didn't some of those people Prospera was talking to die from being shot with a gun?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
What's the best Isekai I'm in the mood for some fantasy worlds

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

e: ^ There isn't one

Series could've used anotther season probably but it was enjoyable. I will buy your freaking model kits Sunrise FINE

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Last episode of G-Witch was pretty underwhelming. The action peaked with Guel vs. Shaddiq, and the conclusion wrapped things up a little too neatly in a way that doesn't make much sense if you think about it too much. I also don't recall any moment where Suletta and Miorine actually kissed, but they're already in asexual matrimony? Honestly a little tired of shoujo stories where they wait until the last episode to get gay married, and they still never do anything. Gay storytelling in manga and anime still seems to have a huge hangup with actually following through on its sexual elements, ever since Bananafish, which was a star-crossed gay boy crime thriller where the boys never actually do anything.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Torn on whether to get an Aerial kit because Ericht was very mean to Suletta for the most part.

I also need an explainer on the business dealings at the end with Miorine liquidating everything to earth? Did she sell it to the people she met up with on Earth before?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

net work error posted:

Torn on whether to get an Aerial kit because Ericht was very mean to Suletta for the most part.

I also need an explainer on the business dealings at the end with Miorine liquidating everything to earth? Did she sell it to the people she met up with on Earth before?

It was a continuation of Shaddiq's plan. After the time gap they even say that its only a matter of time till space capitalist gobble the companies up because of the inevitably skewed economic conditions in the sphere.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Aura Battler Dunbine

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Pitch posted:

I guess if I've bought into Permet Theory this far (what the gently caress is a permet) I can accept that people who died from overload while piloting a Gundam live on in the data storm but didn't some of those people Prospera was talking to die from being shot with a gun?

I saw the theory being that ||the only two actual people were el4n and eri, with all the others just being memories drawn out and given form, kinda like a shared delusion situation||

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Aura Battler Dunbine