Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

wdarkk posted:

I hope if we get an ova or something we get a few what-if duels. Like one of the few things I'd definitely complain we didn't get was a Chuchu solo fight.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam: The Witch from Mercury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Geeeenuinely really stupid questions here but are permet/data storms a Gundam thing or just Ad Stella? I've only seen like IBO and maybe (?) one other short series before this, years ago.

Wing's Zero System would also gently caress up the pilots of any suit using it, but mentally. It was basically a predictive AI that would constantly run overlapping simulations to get the "best course of action" at any given time, and feeding all of the results into the pilot's brain. Very few people could withstand that for long without being driven mad.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Tanon posted:

I liked the fact that Eri and Suletta summoned the other "witches" and had a spell circle before they did their space magic permet spell to end all the conflict. I thought it was a pretty neat visual.

Gay space magic! Gay space magic!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Loved that ending! With the emotional climax being Suletta confronting her mother and asserting herself and her desires in the face of people trying to decide for her, I'm perfectly happy to dispense with the big laser and fleet with a giant rainbow energy pulse. While the plot and the setting did raise a lot of interesting elements and conflicts, it turns out I'm pretty okay with a tidy, character-driven wrap-up. Giving everyone a prompt happily-ever-after after all the suffering they went through week in and week out felt more like a relief than a cop-out, though I understand mileage is probably going to vary.

I feel like there probably was room to expand the show out into another season, but there's nothing wrong with something punchy and to-the-point. There's definitely a lot of juice left in this setting and the characters, though, so hopefully this isn't the last we'll see of them in some capacity (a game, a special, a comic, something like that).

Overall, this is the first Gundam show I've watched since seeing Gundam Wing on TV as a kid, and I'm pretty satisfied!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Something doesn't feel right. The ending wasn't bad, but it's the same feeling as a piece on a kit not quite having the fitment I expected.

I think most of it comes from the blatant aping of Unicorn's ending. I audibly said, "Guess we're riding the rainbow now" when things kicked off. I think I feel like something is missing between the start of the episode and the epilogue. Maybe it was Shaddiq's 'help' being kept too close to the chest. The speech at the end of Unicorn, while exceedingly dumb politically, wasn't the resolution of the conflict in the story--it was the goal. The climax was Banagher and Riddhe blocking Gryps 2 that let Minerva make the speech. We knew the whole time she was trying to get the information about Laplace's box out. We knew that Siam had a comm relay set up that could let her broadcast it. They just needed to survive long enough to do it, and the conflict was structured around that. Contrasting with Miorinne's plan, anything I say about 'assuming' she's going to try a political move is silly because I'm colored by having watched the episode. If I'm being honest with myself, I had no idea where they were going with it. I think even just knowing exactly what Shaddiq's help was would have made everything fit together neater.

Maybe that is the connecting thread I'm missing that makes it feel a bit off to me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

before the epilogue i'd have wanted another season but with that i'd say the compelling, driving points of the plot are mostly wrapped up. the two things that defined the show was mystery surrounding prospera's machinations and suletta+miorine's relationship, both of which have been pretty conclusively resolved. i love these characters and wish more of them got a chance to have some focused arcs, but also like. we could just have a new show, with new good characters. give this writing and animation team another show for sure, but i don't think it being a gwitch season 2 is a particularly compelling concept if suletta, miorine, and prospera are all sidelined.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
So this was my first Gundam series and overall I really liked it! I definitely agree with a lot of the criticisms but I don't think those things affected my overall enjoyment of this series. Still recommending it to other friends who have never watched Gundam before. Maybe it's kind of shallow but I hope there's more girl-led Gundam series on the horizon

give ChuChu her own series

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/tagamarie/status/1675412521937936384

2 to 4 weeks of production per episode since the end of Season 1 huh.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

https://twitter.com/AureliaSpectral/status/1675487246311464961

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ninjewtsu posted:

before the epilogue i'd have wanted another season but with that i'd say the compelling, driving points of the plot are mostly wrapped up. the two things that defined the show was mystery surrounding prospera's machinations and suletta+miorine's relationship, both of which have been pretty conclusively resolved. i love these characters and wish more of them got a chance to have some focused arcs, but also like. we could just have a new show, with new good characters. give this writing and animation team another show for sure, but i don't think it being a gwitch season 2 is a particularly compelling concept if suletta, miorine, and prospera are all sidelined.

Yeah, I can't see a way to create a direct second season of the show. Spinoff and side content about the secondary characters or outstanding questions about the setting would be neat, but the last few episodes really clarified what the heart of the show was with the main characters and that's resolved. You could totally bring them back for like, a one off-special or some kind of movie thing, but it'd probably just be for fun.

Hey, here's a question: If they did bring everyone back for a move or OVA or something, what Shakespeare play should it be based on?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dolash posted:

Hey, here's a question: If they did bring everyone back for a move or OVA or something, what Shakespeare play should it be based on?

Whichever had the most cross dressing romantic antics.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
One nice touch I liked, and I think speaks more volumes than anything else: How closely Miorine and Suletta are sitting to each other at the end. I think that speaks more volumes about how comfortable they are with each other than anything else.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I can't see a way to create a direct second season of the show. Spinoff and side content about the secondary characters or outstanding questions about the setting would be neat, but the last few episodes really clarified what the heart of the show was with the main characters and that's resolved. You could totally bring them back for like, a one off-special or some kind of movie thing, but it'd probably just be for fun.

Titus Andronicus :unsmigghh:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Nah, midsummer

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen Turn A but isn't it already based on Twelfth Night?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I haven't seen Turn A but isn't it already based on Twelfth Night?

No. There are a couple of superficially similar plot points but the central stories are nothing alike.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I really liked the show and disliked this thread, but not enough to stop reading it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I really liked the show and disliked this thread, but not enough to stop reading it.

:emptyquote:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

I think this matches up with my opinion. There was definitely room for them to explore a season 2, but that clearly wasn't in the cards, so they tied up the loose ends as much as they could with the time they had and gave everyone a pretty conclusive ending. With all of the existing character hooks basically resolved, there's no particular reason for them to dig back into this setting instead of just making a new one.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
re: Lauda's whole deal, I know people seem to think it was a waste, but I would have liked a little more care/attention given to him especially since it was punctuated by a brotherly fight in one of the show's coolest looking robots. not even asking for a lot, just a little more pathos and drama in the build up to his breakdown would have made it all go over better I think. what we got was perfectly serviceable for getting him from point A-B, but subtlety isn't always the best storytelling method you know

like, him literally falling out when Guel showed back up was good, just wanted some more

YES bread fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 2, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lauda being mad about suletta for 90 percent and then suddenly going anti-mio to the point of literal ship murder

Would like 1 more episode to get this shift less sudden

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

https://twitter.com/yamada_doujin/status/1675421552429641730

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guess we just have to wait for the announcement soon.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Guess we just have to wait for the announcement soon.

excited for the gwitch gatcha game

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/tagamarie/status/1675412521937936384

2 to 4 weeks of production per episode since the end of Season 1 huh.

Seeing a number of comments from staff about how things got really down to the wire kinda tracks. Like, 94 key animators on the last episode, it's a bit of a relief that it all managed to keep it together. I suspect the pace was in part a result of things getting harrowing towards the end too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StrifeHira posted:

Seeing a number of comments from staff about how things got really down to the wire kinda tracks. Like, 94 key animators on the last episode, it's a bit of a relief that it all managed to keep it together. I suspect the pace was in part a result of things getting harrowing towards the end too.

Given that Guel got a bigger role as the show went on thanks to feedback it must have been very hectic to write him and his dynamic with Lauda on top of everything else.

I'm sad now. I don't have a sunday show anymore.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Given that Guel got a bigger role as the show went on thanks to feedback it must have been very hectic to write him and his dynamic with Lauda on top of everything else.

I'm sad now. I don't have a sunday show anymore.

there's always more anime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

there's always more anime

There isn't more G-Witch though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
G-Witch compilation movies. Extra scenes include full wedding, also Chuchu chasing someone with The Bat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i've never been more disappointed and also more satisfied with an anime finale

torn

theyre cowards for not showing a kiss or explicitly showing the wedding

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

There isn't more G-Witch though.

considering the production issues up above I think the animation team is glad for it. they deserve the rest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

considering the production issues up above I think the animation team is glad for it. they deserve the rest

I'm sure they are and I wouldn't want them to burn out over it. At the same time I'm selfish and I'd have loved to see more done with the show, even just an extra episode or two. It started with a Prologue Episode, end it with a whole Epilogue episode.

Anyways, episode 21 Dub is supposed to be out later today, but right now I don't really want to watch it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 2, 2023

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

g witch was so good, the pacing got a bit rushed towards the end but otherwise Pog!!! a wedding would have been nice too but it seemed p clear to me they were together at the end

tho what happened to kenanji in the epilogue

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Welp everything closed out in a satisfactory manner WRT Suletta and Mio's stories but in the last... 6 or 8? episodes it felt like the show was just dashing down a corridor so it could barely slide under a big closing bulkhead door and still get everything in that they wanted to

As other people have said I really like what's there but I wish they had a little more drat time

Also wish there was more Utena Vibes stuff like in the first cour but if I want that I guess I can just watch Utena again

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This really needed at the very least six more episodes. A solid 7/10 at least.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah that's about where I'm sitting. 7/10. I desperately want to like this show more than I do. I want to see the best version it could be. But it's still good. I just hoped for more.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Booky posted:

g witch was so good, the pacing got a bit rushed towards the end but otherwise Pog!!! a wedding would have been nice too but it seemed p clear to me they were together at the end

if you look closely at the last scene, they're both wearing wedding rings. agreed that it woulda been cool to actually see the wedding though

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you think Suletta uses her sister as her internet security key when she goes to play acclaimed MMO Final Fantasy XIV with her wife? (she plays Sage obv)

Also I'm glad that Petra lived! I guess I'm fond of her because she was talking to Suletta when nobody else was, and they had some nice girl talk about their respective dopey lovers that definitely helped push Suletta into the right direction

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I do think if they even got one more episode, It would be used to focus more on petra getting gund-arm and lauda having more than 5 seconds before going crazy when learning about her condition.

Because as I sit on the episode for a day, the whole time spent on Gund-arm was such a weird dead end that didn't really result in anything other than I guess petra can walk in a montage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I probably need to think it over a bit, I think I loved the show as a whole but the ending wasn't anything like my favorite part, and I think we saw that coming and that's why we wanted an announcement of a continuation. Which it looks like we won't get. But yeah, they spent episodes building up the Schwazette and it just did one fight with someone not really built as a threat inside it, whilst Caliburn was dropped in super late. I think they should have had at least one more Schwazette fight, maybe with Guel piloting it, and we should have seen the "Calibarn Aerial" or whatever in actual combat against mobile suits.

Unfortunately I mildly spoiled myself with the listing for the Calibarn's HG Gunpla release, and it having Aerial's shield bits. Pretty obvious with Aerial being written off but still.

Regarding the last scene: Is it a Gundam-exclusive trope to have the first season opening song play over the final credits? I know there are more examples but only in the Gundam franchise, they definitely played Daybreak's Bell at the end of 00, I think Raise Your Flag was at the end of IBO. I don't think I've come across it for anything else though.