Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

run by dogs

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

wasn't west robotyne one of the first "real" russian fortifications that were definitely going to stymie the ukrainian offensive, unlike all the other territory they were completely fine with losing according to their water carriers

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Somewhat interesting. There was a longrunning battle over many years between calling us Belarus or the imperial Belorussia. These posts are careful with wording. Republic of Belarus, might imply they are serious about moving in

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The only way I think it could work is when Prigozhin is dead. No way would a man who had the audacity to hold Putin by the throat submit to mustache kolhoznik. And no way Luka who is a tyrant, total totalitarian control would allow a private army to exist

Burns
May 10, 2008

Lazer Prig.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I'm pretty sure Robotyne isn't a real place, sounds more like where an evil corporation makes ED-209s or something.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't know if he did have the audacity - he attempted a coup by accident then panicked and surrendered :rip:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

tiaz posted:

wasn't west robotyne one of the first "real" russian fortifications that were definitely going to stymie the ukrainian offensive, unlike all the other territory they were completely fine with losing according to their water carriers

From Brady Africk 's map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1rRKs40IEbGRsV0Fhky25l5OkPJ_vUvQ&ll=47.54929416504987%2C36.21206094260214&z=10

I would expect Ukrainian progress to be slow and costly for the coming month at least. For reference, Tokmak is about 20km from Robotyne.

Also remember that Rybar claimed 6 brigades were attacking in Luhansk oblast just a few days ago, which turned out to be bullshit.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

HonorableTB posted:

E: a stellar example of multiple hosed up aspects of Russian society, I was reading the Nizhny Novgorod news this morning and an old woman was stabbed to death for seeing two men loving in the woods. The 66 year old woman went out to pick berries in the forest, noticed a 60 year old man buggering a 20 year old man, yelled a gay slur at them, and proceeded to get stabbed to death not because of the insult but because they were scared she would expose them as being gay to the neighborhood because that would be a death sentence whereas they "merely" have life in prison...until they get sent to the front as zeks anyway. What a bleak and miserable place

If they stabbed the old lady to death how does anyone know that they were buttfuggin this doesn't make any sense lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Nooner posted:

If they stabbed the old lady to death how does anyone know that they were buttfuggin this doesn't make any sense lol

she was able to get away back to her village and died in hospital according to the article. the two guys were also picked up by local police

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Tigey posted:

I'm pretty sure Robotyne isn't a real place, sounds more like where an evil corporation makes ED-209s or something.

There's a reason for that. Робота ("robota") means "work" and роботник (robotnik) means "worker" in Ukrainian, much like robotník in Czech. It was from the Czech word the playwright Karel Čapek derived the word robot (roboti) for the androids in his play R.U.R. in 1921.

So the placename means "workerton" or somesuch and the name of the antagonist in Sonic the Hedgehog means "Dr. Worker" in most Slavic languages.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol it’s like Mechanicsburg

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Nooner posted:

Obviously without having seen the original, there is no way to say for sure, but I'd be at least mildly suspicious of such a story, as it very nicely supports the Russian govts official homophobic narrative nicely ("sweet innocent Babushka murdered by evil satanic homonazis caught in the act") and has a sufficiently large age difference between the partners to allow paedophilic associations to be drawn by already prejudiced readers.

It could of course still be true, individual circumstances and situations can vary wildly, etc. But from an initial reaction it smells of propaganda and worth checking

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tigey posted:

In addition to what Jasper said, it would by pronounced ro-bo-tin-yeh, the “tyne” doesn’t rhyme with “fine”.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

There's a reason for that. Робота ("robota") means "work" and роботник (robotnik) means "worker" in Ukrainian, much like robotník in Czech. It was from the Czech word the playwright Karel Čapek derived the word robot (roboti) for the androids in his play R.U.R. in 1921.

So the placename means "workerton" or somesuch and the name of the antagonist in Sonic the Hedgehog means "Dr. Worker" in most Slavic languages.

So Robotnik is a legitimate surname in Ukrainian?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lammasu posted:

More like Robotnyuk

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

she was able to get away back to her village and died in hospital according to the article. the two guys were also picked up by local police

Dudes were sloppy.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Data Graham posted:

Lol it’s like Mechanicsburg

I would like to know more

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Vaginaface posted:

There's a Mechanicsville in Atlanta too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanicsville,_Atlanta

quote:

The name "Mechanicsville" comes from the "mechanics" that worked on the railway lines. It was once a vibrant multiethnic community with working class blacks and middle class whites, and home to several prominent merchant families, including the Rich family, of department store fame. Mechanicsville was established in 1870. The mural in the background displays this information from an artists work.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Vaginaface posted:

I mean that's nothing new, people have named stuff for what's there for ages. see poo poo like Silverton, Blackheath, etc, in almost every language/country in the world. I think it's kind of cute to see it applied to modern stuff like Silicon Valley.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Presented without comment.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zone posted:

Ians a grifter who has zero war knowledge and wasnt following it until Wagner attempted a coup.

His words were "lukashenko has shown the world he is not just a lowly puppet"

Alexander 'chamberlain' Lukashenko

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lukashenko doesn't even have ops in the official #Belarus belnet irc channel

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

20 bucks says that Wagner gets quietly, ingloriously-dissolved into the Ministry of Defense over the course of a couple of years, with a majority of their personnel being shuffled into appropriate positions (hopefully prison)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Antony Beevor argued that the only person who could have paid the cost necessary to stop Hitler was someone equally callous to the collective suffering of their people. Basically, it takes a megalomaniacal sociopath to stop a megalomaniacal sociopath.

That's about the only remotely redeeming thing I think that can be said about him.

I remember reading an observation by a British historian that to put the tremendous sacrifices of the Russians into context, if London had been under siege the inhabitants would have put up a good fight but unlike Leningrad, they would not have eaten their own dead instead of surrendering.

Also to add to the absurdly poor initial Soviet situation at the start of the invasion, the attack had a brief postponement to allow for a few extra trains loaded with precious resources to head west, per the trade pact between the two countries.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

ew why would you post ian miles cheong in here, thats like crop dusting an elevator with rancid chili farts as you exit

lol sure ian, itll take roughly 50% of the entire ukrainian population to retake their land.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChickenHeart posted:

20 bucks says that Wagner gets quietly, ingloriously-dissolved into the Ministry of Defense over the course of a couple of years, with a majority of their personnel being shuffled into appropriate positions (hopefully prison)

There's a non-zero chance they go into "Camps" in Belarus and that's the last anyone hears of Wagner altogether.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

what a nice group of Russian neonazi PMC ex-convict mutineers you've got there, shame if something were to happen to them

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

HonorableTB posted:

ew why would you post ian miles cheong in here, thats like crop dusting an elevator with rancid chili farts as you exit

lol sure ian, itll take roughly 50% of the entire ukrainian population to retake their land.

This is the most "numbers guy brain" take I've seen.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

zone posted:

:lol:

Why are we posting Ant Man in the Ukraine thread? They guy has literally no expertise in ANYTHING.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

Wagner will just become a right wing club, skin heads with dreadful tats and a dumb flag. Maybe they'll rumble with Strelkov's gang, like mods and rockers.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I remember reading an observation by a British historian that to put the tremendous sacrifices of the Russians into context, if London had been under siege the inhabitants would have put up a good fight but unlike Leningrad, they would not have eaten their own dead instead of surrendering.

Also to add to the absurdly poor initial Soviet situation at the start of the invasion, the attack had a brief postponement to allow for a few extra trains loaded with precious resources to head west, per the trade pact between the two countries.

Didn’t the Nazis refuse to let Leningrad surrender, because they had no use for the city in their master plans and wanted to wipe it off the map?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Sucrose posted:

Didn’t the Nazis refuse to let Leningrad surrender, because they had no use for the city in their master plans and wanted to wipe it off the map?

No.

That sounds like a WWII version of Putin playing 5D chess

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Siege? London would fold once the price of sex arses trebeled at the first sign of an embago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TulliusCicero posted:

:lol:

Why are we posting Ant Man in the Ukraine thread? They guy has literally no expertise in ANYTHING.

excuse YOU sir

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's difficult not to look down on an ant-man.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
He has expertise in proving you do not need to be American to be as stupid as Marjorie Taylor Greene!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Lammasu posted:

It's a legitimate name in Poland, and I should imagine in many other countries. I certainly did a double take when I read about someone with that name in a history of Eastern Europe.

Just like when I read about Muhammad Ali in Egypt. Or Peter Parker in the Boxer Uprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you know what this means? It means Sonic is real!