Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at RSS feeds being killed off

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I don't know that I'd expect international students to know US presidents

Eh, I would, if only because the UK and the US are intertwined culturally and historically, and that such things are typically still common knowledge. Or at least I thought. Maybe I’m just weird.

Still, the vocab deficit is more alarming.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What about 9gag is that still a thing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

gradenko_2000 posted:

RSS still exists, but it's definitely on the wane. Only 8 left in my feed reader. It may get to the point where I might have to write a website scraper just to generate RSS feeds.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

RSS still exists, but it's definitely on the wane. Only 8 left in my feed reader. It may get to the point where I might have to write a website scraper just to generate RSS feeds.

do it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Got some lol for ya: I work in an analytical lab with STEM graduates, primarily female. I have a 25-year-old Oxford graduate who I had to explain who Abraham Lincoln was.

Along with many other words and turns of phrase that I figured were still common. I got irrationally angry inside when I had to explain an idiom I used in front of this girl and someone else who is a couple years shy of 40 (around my age). Kills me I can't remember which one it was, though maybe it's for the best I don't open that wound again.

What I'm saying is, we're in a race between the biosphere murdering us or general incompetence from having kids poisoned by tech and capitalism to the point of being functionally retarded.

Buddy...

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Exactly!

No, wait…

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I think thalidomide is now used in some cancer treatments; a friend of mine who had multiple myeloma was taking it at one point.

Yeah it fucks with cell division which isn't great for fetuses but also not great for tumors. I think it's kind of a last resort type of treatment, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The problem here is that I basically could never make it public code. One user with a lovely python script being run on AWS Lambda will draw little attention. At scale, though? Even an open source, BYOAWS thing would draw attention and force neverending scraper/website haver brinkmanship.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

excuse me?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

sullat posted:

Yeah it fucks with cell division which isn't great for fetuses but also not great for tumors. I think it's kind of a last resort type of treatment, though.

It's actually first-line chemo for myeloma, because it's quite safe as chemo drugs go -- by their nature there are not a ton that aren't toxic in some way. The reason it was such a problem was because it was brought to market as a wonder drug to fix all manner of symptoms, including morning sickness.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

This rear end in a top hat thinks RSS feeds are dead? Absurd. Everyone on my Usenet group uses them daily

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

including morning sickness.

I'm assuming this was before they started defaulting to Zofran prescriptions?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SourKraut posted:

Zofran can also make some unlucky souls, such as myself, more nauseous :(

a very low dose of compazine or a scopolamine patch for people like me.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

SourKraut posted:

oh yeah. Thalidomide was the first incident that really proved the purpose of the drug part of the FDA, when one hardass bureaucrat said "your data sucks, gently caress off" and prevented it from being approved in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frances_Oldham_Kelsey

the whole history of hilariously awful poo poo people would try to get away with before the FDA was around is pretty amazing. like using formaldehyde as a milk preservative and plaster of Paris to make the diluted, adulterated milk white again. there's a good book and PBS show called "The Poison Squad" that goes into the food side, along with the classic The Jungle

obviously, the FDA must be destroyed, and luckily we have just the court to do it

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

Zofran can also make some unlucky souls, such as myself, more nauseous :(

a very low dose of compazine or a scopolamine patch for people like me.

do you get the "it's like a roll of nickels poo poo in my mouth" taste too?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

honestly dont remember and at the time my whole mouth tasted like blood anyway. they gave it to me after my esophagus surgery in which - not puking and not heaving were super vital and all i remember was basically crying trying to control my gut reactions while i waited for them to come up with another solution asap - which was luckly just 10mg compazine.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Redfin keeps trying to convince me that my house is worth $100,000 more than I paid for it 2.5 years ago. All the comparables in the neighborhood are right around what we paid.

Trying to figure out what the upside is for them. To disappoint potential home sellers?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Redfin keeps trying to convince me that my house is worth $100,000 more than I paid for it 2.5 years ago. All the comparables in the neighborhood are right around what we paid.

Trying to figure out what the upside is for them. To disappoint potential home sellers?

To get you to list with them.

What do the other sites like zillow say?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nytimesbusiness/status/1675551922579812353

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just a bit more intensive than a heavy blade on a rope, but modern problems...etc, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQGDwE3yMb0&t=307s

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Thorne is learning about medicare for the first time.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol retiring at 65

:ok:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'll retire after I succumb to deaths embrace

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

whats up doomsday econ crew

at work we've had an extremely stressful end to our season so I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. happy to be on summer break

actual econ news seems to have been very boring in Q2. did I miss any good thread content?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

webcams for christ posted:

whats up doomsday econ crew

at work we've had an extremely stressful end to our season so I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. happy to be on summer break

actual econ news seems to have been very boring in Q2. did I miss any good thread content?
supreme court did some lols (student loan, affirmative action, some other poo poo), plus biden is restarting student loan payments which will completely wipe out the underclass.

otherwise no. we're now in bull market 2023, but driven by around 10 very top heavy stocks and investors getting into any stock where the ceo can mention "AI AI AI" during the quarterly earnings call, while small-mid cap continue to fall

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

feedly has this as a paid feature

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

some of the richest men in the world would pay good money for that.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
RSS works fine, i use it for roughly 100ish websites

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Gross dude. Don’t put Grimes in your mouth.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Koirhor posted:

everyone having a rough time lately, thread vibes are way off
american summer

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have an interview tomorrow so I expect the crash to happen if I get the job

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Willa Rogers posted:

To get you to list with them.

What do the other sites like zillow say?

They just have us up 70k, but their estimate for the zip code is bang on.

I guess if I was already looking to sell those lies would work.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RandolphCarter posted:

I have an interview tomorrow so I expect the crash to happen if I get the job

thank you for your service

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Husband sounds cool af

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i would absolutely love to be this guy

working sucks, college kicks rear end

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

"I live an enviable life free of debt with a wonderful partner. How dissatisfied am I allowed to be?"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leave it to shrike to post it as if the guy is committing a major crime instead of living the life, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

That lady is a real pisser.