Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is kind of hilarious to watch videos about LA and most major European cities back to back, cars really do create a dead wasteland of a urban space (and LA isn't the worst considering the US).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ardennes posted:

It is kind of hilarious to watch videos about LA and most major European cities back to back, cars really do create a dead wasteland of a urban space (and LA isn't the worst considering the US).

I got to go to Paris earlier this year and it's amazing how much more vibrant and complete a city feels without parking lots every 100ft.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Greatbacon posted:

I got to go to Paris earlier this year and it's amazing how much more vibrant and complete a city feels without parking lots every 100ft.

Yeah, Paris is really interesting in that quite a bit is changing and will change before the Olympics including no through traffic. The Champs Elysees is being rebuilt, and the metro is being expanded into the suburbs beyond the RER. Biking is probably still a mixed bag compared to Amsterdam, but it has come a long way from even 6-7 years ago. I would say the big issue is still working out consistent bike infrastructure since it seems to switch form somewhat randomly and the signage doesn't seem great. That said, the Paris metro region is 13 million people; it isn't tiny. Berlin is making some moves, as is most of Europe.

It is pretty wild that they are going to hold swimming events in the Seine, I guess they feel pretty confident; and supposedly there are using 95% existing venues, which probably should be a standard for future Olympics.

(Paris is always seeing huge riots as well. A city of contrasts.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:09 on Jul 2, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Ardennes posted:

A lovely city riots. My city is a dead wasteland of parking lots and far too cadaverous to riot. We need complete streets for elan.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Jul 2, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

not exactly like being in paris but i did go for a walk with my son and stopped into a cafe to have a croque monsieur for breakfast this morning :france:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

A lovely city riots. My city is a dead wasteland of parking lots and far too cadaverous to riot. We need complete streets for elan.

American urban planning is deeply paranoid at its core. Not only did highways eradicate many neighbors of minorities and immigrants, but most American cities (LA/Chicago/Nashville etc) have "defensive" freeway circles around their CBDs with a relatively small number of choke points.

Once you fortify then kill off the vibrancy in your CBD as well as destroy and disrupt most inner urban neighborhoods of your underclass, you can move your former public spaces into private spaces, i.e malls in the suburbs.

How US cities were changed after the war wasn't an accident, it was planned. Robert Moses and his cohort weren't victims of fate, this is the America they wanted.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Jul 2, 2023

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
The bourgeois paradise. A war of all against all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
French urban design is so friendly to walkinh that they're having record numbers of people on the streets this week

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Paris is really interesting in that quite a bit is changing and will change before the Olympics including no through traffic. The Champs Elysees is being rebuilt, and the metro is being expanded into the suburbs beyond the RER. Biking is probably still a mixed bag compared to Amsterdam, but it has come a long way from even 6-7 years ago. I would say the big issue is still working out consistent bike infrastructure since it seems to switch form somewhat randomly and the signage doesn't seem great. That said, the Paris metro region is 13 million people; it isn't tiny. Berlin is making some moves, as is most of Europe.

It is pretty wild that they are going to hold swimming events in the Seine, I guess they feel pretty confident; and supposedly there are using 95% existing venues, which probably should be a standard for future Olympics.

I'd never been to paris before this year but honestly there was some culture shock wrt being able to walk everywhere. we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel and we didn't ride in a car again until we took a taxi back to the airport. anywhere we wanted to go we could walk to or we could walk to a subway station and ride. people there drove like pedestrians were an expectation not a hinderance.

coming back to the US sucked not just because I was coming back from vacation but I had gotten used to just being able to walk places (and I was only there a week lol). although I have managed to cut my car usage down a lot, I've only driven 200 miles in over a month, which is pretty good considering it's an american suburb and I only drive places that are too far to walk in an hour or two.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

gradenko_2000 posted:

French urban design is so friendly to walkinh that they're having record numbers of people on the streets this week

lol

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

cars = bad

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

that's right

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I just saw a local Copenhagen "news" story on Facebook where they had dug up pictures of the good old days when you had parking everywhere. Most of the comments were genuinely missing the car spaces, but all I could see was places that now have lively cafes, for traffic, parks and so on, that were just grey parking lots in the pictures.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:hai:

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

BonHair posted:

I just saw a local Copenhagen "news" story on Facebook where they had dug up pictures of the good old days when you had parking everywhere. Most of the comments were genuinely missing the car spaces, but all I could see was places that now have lively cafes, for traffic, parks and so on, that were just grey parking lots in the pictures.

The ideal human environment is a flat, grey pavement with all life and colour choked out. Terraforming this place into our silent concrete tomb 😎

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mmhmmm

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
More like cope hahen

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

hell, I'd even say they're very bad

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

spacemang_spliff posted:

although I have managed to cut my car usage down a lot, I've only driven 200 miles in over a month, which is pretty good considering it's an american suburb and I only drive places that are too far to walk in an hour or two.

That's astonishing for an American stuck in a suburb. Do you have an electric bike?

Average suburban American drives about 45 miles a day, which is loving insane to me. Easily over 1400 miles a month.

Bureau of Transportation Statistics
https://www.bts.gov/statistical-products/surveys/vehicle-miles-traveled-and-vehicle-trips-state

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

That's astonishing for an American stuck in a suburb. Do you have an electric bike?

Average suburban American drives about 45 miles a day, which is loving insane to me. Easily over 1400 miles a month.

Bureau of Transportation Statistics
https://www.bts.gov/statistical-products/surveys/vehicle-miles-traveled-and-vehicle-trips-state

I work from home which helps a lot and I have two grocery stores within a half mile walk and an Aldi that's only a little over a mile, so most day to day errands I can do on foot. I do live in an older suburb that was developed in the 50s so it's still somewhat walkable. No bike yet but I'm tempted to get one, that would get me to the nice liquor store pretty easily. Then the only place I'd regularly drive is to my weekly jam session.

I can see easily driving 45 miles a day, back when I worked in an office my commute was 10 miles each way. I'll never go back to that if I have any choice.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

spacemang_spliff posted:

I can see easily driving 45 miles a day, back when I worked in an office my commute was 10 miles each way. I'll never go back to that if I have any choice.

it’s amazing to me that WFH during the pandemic appeared as an abrupt but easily absorbed system shock but even with that literal free gift of nature capital is determined to deny the laws of thermodynamics in order to keep the commercial real estate market from collapsing

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

hell, I'd even say they're very bad

dang, was gonna say that's too harsh but i've had a team of transportation scientists crunching the numbers all day long and it turns out you're very right

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:smug:

Apr 7, 2003

IIRC the average American adult, period, drives 40 miles a day which is insane. A lot of anti-car spaces on the internet are also lacking in the sort of imagination necessary to come up with the sort of life where you don't have to do that, and seem to think that a car-free world works exactly like the one we have now but you ride a horse 40 miles every day.

Apr 7, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

Back in 2011 I was living like your average American with a long-rear end commute to a suburban office park that I fuckin' hated, one day I rear-ended someone in traffic and totaled my car. After that I figured "gently caress this, gonna get a job on public transit, I don't ever want to drive to work again" and it's been the best choice I've ever made in my life.

Apr 7, 2003

(The car I totaled was a 12 year old Corolla I had to take a 29% APR loan out on because I was very poor but had no other options, like half of America)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

and now look at you, a landlord

the dream can be real

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Saw this adorable set up from the bus today and they had another person right behind them that appeared to be a semi matching bike

on the hating cars side of things: there was some dickhole driving back and forth on a super active very pedestrian filled street in a blacked out mercedes with their exhaust doing the lovely POP POP POP POP CRACK like 5-6 times just in the time i was walking and its so loving loud that if you were trying to talk to someone you have to stop.

what the gently caress is wrong with those loser assholes?

Apr 7, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

and now look at you, a landlord

the dream can be real

I will never be a landlord

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'd never been to paris before this year but honestly there was some culture shock wrt being able to walk everywhere. we took a taxi from the airport to our hotel and we didn't ride in a car again until we took a taxi back to the airport. anywhere we wanted to go we could walk to or we could walk to a subway station and ride. people there drove like pedestrians were an expectation not a hinderance.

coming back to the US sucked not just because I was coming back from vacation but I had gotten used to just being able to walk places (and I was only there a week lol). although I have managed to cut my car usage down a lot, I've only driven 200 miles in over a month, which is pretty good considering it's an american suburb and I only drive places that are too far to walk in an hour or two.

Yeah, living in a city with actual alternative options is pretty eye opening. It not only shows how cars are an a burden that makes people absolutely miserable but also half rear end urban planning and investment is in the US. A bike line lane like in Culver City is a hopeless struggle while large European cities are becoming local traffic only in their city centers.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I've been walking or biking to work and school since 2015 and it's been fantastic despite living in a city most people associate with murders and drugs.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mauser posted:

I've been walking or biking to work and school since 2015 and it's been fantastic despite living in a city most people associate with murders and drugs.

That doesnt narrow things down very much since conservatives have labeled every city that.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mauser posted:

I started commuting to work pretty much exclusively by bike in 2012 because I had no money and realized that Metro fare was adding up to literally dozens of dollars every month, which seemed like a big deal at the time. But the thing that quickly became apparent to me even in a deeply half-assed biking city is that the bike is one of the ideal ways to get around an urban area.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

Yeah, I've benefited a lot from being able to work from home since the pandemic, since my drive to work would otherwise be 20.8 miles each way (and that's a pretty normal distance - I live in a suburb and drive downtown).

I got my new car just a few months before the pandemic started, and as a result I only have like 6000 miles on it after ~3 years (and probably at least like 1/3 of that is just from the two trips I took for my best friend's wedding and bachelor party). The savings on gas are also obviously nice.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/BillLindeke/status/1675668820365541377?s=20

And some people won’t go a block for a beer!

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

"I want to shop there. I want to give the small businesses my money," resident Beverly Gores said. "Instead, I had to drive home and eat carrots that were in my refrigerator for lunch. I'm not walking, at 66 years old, three blocks for a taco."

lol 3 blocks is nothing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i accept that the furniture store owner has slightly more standing to complain

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

silicone thrills posted:

That doesnt narrow things down very much since conservatives have labeled every city that.

yeah exactly. I'm just saying I live in a "scary" urban environment and it's infinitely better than a living in a suburb that forces you to drive to do literally anything.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I started commuting to work pretty much exclusively by bike in 2012 because I had no money and realized that Metro fare was adding up to literally dozens of dollars every month, which seemed like a big deal at the time. But the thing that quickly became apparent to me even in a deeply half-assed biking city is that the bike is one of the ideal ways to get around an urban area.

I am pretty jealous of the bike infrastructure in D.C., though it's not perfect. You can turn down a lot of streets and find some kind of bike infrastructure like a bike gutter or a sharrow without trying to plan your route ahead of time. Plus you could hop on your bike and head out to a couple trailheads like the C&O or the W&OD if you want to do multiple hours/days of trail riding. My dream would be to live somewhere where I could take some combination of train and bike to get anywhere I wanted in the region or beyond.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

This. Cars ftmfl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

"Chicago" is basically just a euphemism for scary colored people and crime and "San Francisco" stands in for homelessness.

Local social media here was all "We don't want Pittsburgh to turn into San Francisco." lol Pittsburgh's population and leadership would kill to be a global financial and tech center