Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

The Fremen had Islamic influences but Frank basically copy-pasted them from The Sabres of Paradise which is entirely Caucasian. Also I will never stop recommending The Sabres of Paradise by Lesley Blanch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I feel like this is a Tom Bombadil moment. Yes these things are integral to the story, but they're not going to work on screen (for completely opposite reasons tho)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Take that back, Tom Bombadil is powerful and my friend.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm a Bombadil truther. they filmed the scene and covered it up because it was too powerful.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Christopher Walken as Tom Bombadil also

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Hey dol
... merry dol
...ring a ...DONG ...dillo
RingaDONG
hop a-long!
Fallal, the willow
Tom Bom,
jolly Tom,

Tom

Bombadillo

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I feel like this is a Tom Bombadil moment. Yes these things are integral to the story, but they're not going to work on screen (for completely opposite reasons tho)

They're literally just replacing lines from the book that are pseudo-Arabic with completely made-up words that are meant to sound pseudo-Arabic. Do you see how dumb it is that these people are bending backwards so far to avoid offending liberals that they're just committing a different error? And the argument that is advanced for this is that Arabic would never survive that well intact that far into the future. And yet still, bagpipes. Zimmer has to literally invent new instruments to evoke his future Arab aesthetic rather than just using classical instruments of Arab music, but somehow bagpipes and tuvan throat singing are suitable.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 3, 2023

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i stan a bombadil but he is in no way integral to the story

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The thing is the Fremen are far from being the only Islamic thing in Dune. The Sarduakar, Padishah Emperor, and a thousand other things are inspired by or otherwise based on Islamic cultures. The book is positively thick with it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The most unrealistic thing about the books is that the Fremen should be able to completely overpower any number of Sardaukar simply by stripping naked.

They poo poo and piss inside their suits, and not a one of them has ever bathed, not one single time.

Peeling off those stillsuits, the resulting stench from their unwashed bodies would just knock any other human on their rear end. Within a large radius.

The smell from their unwashed crotches with a lifetime of bush growth alone… can you even imagine?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

twerking on the railroad posted:

Is anyone else a little thrown by how they pronounce "Chani" as "Cha-knee" to the point where it almost sounds like chalemet is saying "Johnny"?

I always pronounced it that way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

They're literally just replacing lines from the book that are pseudo-Arabic with completely made-up words that are meant to sound pseudo-Arabic. Do you see how dumb it is that these people are bending backwards so far to avoid offending liberals that they're just committing a different error? And the argument that is advanced for this is that Arabic would never survive that well intact that far into the future. And yet still, bagpipes. Zimmer has to literally invent new instruments to evoke his future Arab aesthetic rather than just using classical instruments of Arab music, but somehow bagpipes and tuvan throat singing are suitable.

It's a trailer, and nobody wants to argue about it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

"chah-knee" sounds a bit strange but that's how I first read it and I absolutely positively refuse to say "chay-knee"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

I wanna hear more from the dorks who treat going to the local movie theater for a forgettable marvel style flick as the hajj and want to stone loud teens

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bad Dune movie lovers might go on some kinda crusade if you keep criticizing :ohdear:

Colonel Cancer posted:

When this chump runs out of coke we should let Michael Bay have a go at it

if you're gonna poo poo everywhere, do it in the stillsuit, not in the thread

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's a trailer, and nobody wants to argue about it.

Was talking about Dune Part 1 but ok.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My bad, misread and thought you were talking about angry people on twitter the worst website on the planet

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

kalel posted:

"chah-knee" sounds a bit strange but that's how I first read it and I absolutely positively refuse to say "chay-knee"

It's pronounced sha-la-may

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Alucard posted:

It's pronounced sha-la-may

Actually it's pronounced "sa-la-mi". Timothy Salami.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

kalel posted:

Chani's got lasgun...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sekenr posted:

Speaking of, one thing that bugged me a little about Herbert's space feudalism is that Rabban being the count of Lankiveil technically outranks his uncle the baron, yet he is his vassal and the baron is the head of the house.

That's probably the point, the Baron is the patriarch of the family no matter how actual position, and has made it clear the rest live at his disposal, in fear of his slightest displeasure, and subject to hosed up punishments of all kinds for failure. There's plenty of examples of people ruling by force of personality and personal authority regardless of technically junior or even meaningless titles.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ahem Duke outranks Baron thus attacking the Atreides is not allowed. Someone better tell Vlad before he makes a fool of himself in front of everyone. (The real reason is Herbert probably just used whatever term sounded better with each name without caring about real life hierarchy)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I mean it’s called Zensunnism but there’s basically no detectable Buddhism in the book at all. The Muslim influences are what give the Fremen their identity.
Have we read the same books?

Because while it's been decades since I studied the Bible, Quran, and Torah as well as the four Sutras, it's definitely not just influenced by Islam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A fair bit of Fremen philosophy revolves around sayings, koans, and the idea of spiritual growth as drawing closer to a universal cosmic truth. The drawing on ancestral memories does have a vibe of reincarnation.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Which religion has the sex nuns?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Alucard posted:

Which religion has the sex nuns?
All of them, they're just hidden better than the Secret Space Jews in Chapterhouse: Dune.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is anyone else a little thrown by how they pronounce "Chani" as "Cha-knee" to the point where it almost sounds like chalemet is saying "Johnny"?

Chanee's got a knife

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ror posted:

Chani's got lasgun...

gently caress, beaten by the golden post

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The arena scene doesn't even look like normal b&w, it's almost like ultraviolet photography.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

Hey dol
... merry dol
...ring a ...DONG ...dillo
RingaDONG
hop a-long!
Fallal, the willow
Tom Bom,
jolly Tom,

Tom

Bombadillo

edit:

What other way would you pronounce it?

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 3, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

What other way would you pronounce it?

the audiobooks, ones i've heard anyway, pronounce it CHAY-nee

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The arena scene doesn't even look like normal b&w, it's almost like ultraviolet photography.

In-universe it could be that Giedi Prime's star has a skewed light spectrum vs Sol's "normal" distribution.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

the audiobooks, ones i've heard anyway, pronounce it CHAY-nee

wtf

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's probably the point, the Baron is the patriarch of the family no matter how actual position, and has made it clear the rest live at his disposal, in fear of his slightest displeasure, and subject to hosed up punishments of all kinds for failure. There's plenty of examples of people ruling by force of personality and personal authority regardless of technically junior or even meaningless titles.

I kind of wish Herbert had explored CHOAM a little more because how binding the feudal hierarchy to a capitalist megacorp probably warps the Imperium's politics in weird and exciting ways. Like make a Baron who maximizes profit able to be considered a peer of a Duke. Like a lot has already been said in many places about how large corporations are basically just feudal institutions already, but made more fluid than usual by money. The titles of the Landsraad are probably much more decorative than descriptive.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vernii posted:

In-universe it could be that Giedi Prime's star has a skewed light spectrum vs Sol's "normal" distribution.

We've seen Giedi Prime already though, and IIRC it was a bit desaturated but nothing like the B&W scenes in the trailer.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jewmanji posted:

It’s ok to criticize a film. I loved DUNC and I’m hopeful DUNC 2 is gonna be even better. But it’s ok to criticize it too, the movie’s feelings aren’t gonna be hurt.

I'm not a huge Dune fan of any kind lol, I'm genuinely laughing at how you don't see how the Fremen basics wouldn't be seen as islamophobic shorn of their original context and in a post 9-11 world by average moviegoer. Which isn't fair to Herbert or Dune, but thems the reality breaks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah best not to do respectful depictions of MENA cultures lest you be accused of racism by a bunch of dumbasses on the internet, better instead to do actual racism to avoid offending those same dumbasses. What are you even talking about? Other than the “Jihad” thing?

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

We've seen Giedi Prime already though, and IIRC it was a bit desaturated but nothing like the B&W scenes in the trailer.

I think those scenes were at night though?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
there's a shot of Geidi Prime in daytime in the trailer. looks kinda washed out but not fully black and white.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vernii posted:

I think those scenes were at night though?

Sure, I mean I'll concede it's possible the colour treatment is due to some optical phenomenon, but I really doubt it's anything more than a stylistic choice to make the arena scene a flashback or something. I think spending time technobabbling about the light spectrum is probably beneath Villeneuve, and (no offense to you) conversations like this always remind me of the nerds defending the absolute dogshit day-for-night colour grading in Raised By Wolves by saying "it's a different planet, you don't know what light is like on a different planet!"

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Jewmanji posted:

It goes deeper than usage of the word Jihad. It extends to the casting, score, the rest of the conlag. I agree it would be borderline malfeasance for the studio to put “jihad” in there, but it’s much harder to justify all the other issues that wouldn’t cause a stir with anyone.

but really if you wanted to get american audiences in particular to be like "wait a sec" about Paul then peppering that term into the script would probably get you there

and also result in theater shootings, but i digress

also: it should be pronounced "connie" and paul should be bobby hill. i am not accepting criticism at this time

the heebie-gbs fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 3, 2023