Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

whydirt posted:

Also this pricing bullshit is small potatos to posting explicitly racist memes here

Yeah the one guy may just be foolish (although I mean, come on), but I’m way more annoyed by the explicitly racist post from the dude up the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm on it folks. Dwarf74 dropped a sixer as IKs can do but I have filed what I believe to be the correct action and it is awaiting admin approval. In the meantime I suggest everyone ignore the disgusting post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Lots of corporations use clearance/final sale prices that end in 88. Pricing your card so that they end in 88 is a trick to make people feel like they're getting the card at clearance prices. I've sold a lot of cards, and always have to stop and change stuff that's 14.88 to 14.87.

I've known James for close to a decade, and while we've had our share of differences of opinion, I can say pretty confidently he's not a Nazi chud.

I'm Travis, and I started the podcast Mtg Fast Finance with James back in 2016? 2015? I used to post in an older version of this thread occasionally even before that. I was more active in the old goon MTG irc server. My identity can be corroborated by a couple other occasional posters in here if it really makes a difference. I wouldn't even have known this was in here but someone in the goon PoE discord linked it.

I quit the cast over a year ago and haven't played magic in years, but I saw someone who I consider a friend make an unfortunate mistake, and felt compelled to speak up for him. James is a lot of things, but never once was he anything other than anti-white nationalism poo poo

Here's the explanation he posted that, as someone who has sold a lot of cards in his life, I can completely see happening
https://imgur.com/a/7y6ht6E

I said what I came to say. If you guys don't believe me that's fine. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to provide some context.
Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 2, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leperflesh posted:

I'm on it folks. Dwarf74 dropped a sixer as IKs can do but I have filed what I believe to be the correct action and it is awaiting admin approval. In the meantime I suggest everyone ignore the disgusting post.
thank you I was about to post about why it was just a sixer

if you can just mention to dwarf to include "placeholder" for poo poo like so people know it's more than just a slap on the wrist that it would be cool

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Captain Invictus posted:

If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

The guy who posted here for the first time in years to do exactly this was probably just a coincidence. You know, the fourth weird coincidence in a row or whatever

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

thank you I was about to post about why it was just a sixer

if you can just mention to dwarf to include "placeholder" for poo poo like so people know it's more than just a slap on the wrist that it would be cool
I noted it in the TG feedback thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

You did see his statement right? That’s not the response of someone who was trying to do something on the down low and got caught. That’s someone who hosed up and fixed it as soon as he realized. Sometimes a number is just a number.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TWW posted here because I brought it to his attention in a non-MTG related community we are both in. I have also vaguely known him since the old IRC days and when he sold cards on SA-mart, and in non-MTG communities we've consistently made fun of the dude for being a MTG finance dork to the point that he does a whole podcast just about it. There's a handful of us in the goon PoE community that will repost MTG news but I haven't played MTG in years and I think the other people in that community haven't either.

I have no idea who James is outside of being the podcast cohost and founder of a major MTG finance community/site, which already puts him in deeply weird dork territory in any non-Magic community. But as someone who I have known the name of for a long time I can just confirm that TWW is not James. And while people in the communities we're both in laugh at TWW for doing or saying pretty dumb stuff in games, I've never seen him say anything actually suggest he has any Nazi leanings.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 2, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
well, now you've seen him list a german mtg card for $1488

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

elbkaida posted:

Sweet, good luck dude!

Went 2-2 for $500, plus the invite for the Qualifier Weekend on August 12th. 2-0 vs. RB, 0-2 vs. RG (NumotTheNummy), 2-0 vs. UR, 0-2 vs. 4c RGwb legends. Losing to green decks feels BAD but the games were pretty tight and I'm glad to have finally cashed one of these!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have been on a roll in paper magic. 2 rcq top 8s, 3 fnm 4/0, and some random weekly event sweeps. One rcq was especially nice as we were able to split the top 4 in such a way that 3/4 got all the money and the top two got the invite. This was a major life hack as the two people who actually wanted to fit to Atlanta the week before christmas got peace of mind and the other people who didn’t know if the awful timed regional could just get $$.

Basically it could only get better if rcqs were modern.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pricing things ending in 88 or having deals ending in 88 is very common in Chinese (the way you'll usually write something being reduced in price would be costing 88% instead of writing 12% off.) 8 is the lucky number, more 8s means more luck.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the weird racist has been permabanned, good riddance

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

GoutPatrol posted:

Pricing things ending in 88 or having deals ending in 88 is very common in Chinese (the way you'll usually write something being reduced in price would be costing 88% instead of writing 12% off.) 8 is the lucky number, more 8s means more luck.
What does that have to do with anything? This isn't the number 8 fun fact hour.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Number 8 fact, turn it on its side, its infinity, really makes u think

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

neaden posted:

What does that have to do with anything? This isn't the number 8 fun fact hour.

It is now. Ladies and gentlemen, start your eightposting.

• 8 is the sum between the first pair of twin-primes (3, 5), and the only twin-prime sum that is not a multiple of 3 or 12.
  • 8 is the sixth Fibonacci number and the first even, non-prime Fibonacci number. It is also the only positive Fibonacci number aside from 1 that is a perfect cube.
  • 8 is the third refactorable number, as it has exactly four positive divisors, and 4 is one of them.
  • 8 is the first number to be the aliquot sum of two numbers: the discrete biprime 10, and the square number 49.
  • 8 is the difference between 53 and 61, which are the two smallest prime numbers that do not divide the order of any sporadic group.

Abhorrence fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 3, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
cease

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

weird rules question, but if you make a creature with no name (like a morph/manifest) your ring-bearer the legend rule can't apply to it as it has no name altogether and therefore can't check against something else (including other morph/manifested cards), right?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Mix. posted:

weird rules question, but if you make a creature with no name (like a morph/manifest) your ring-bearer the legend rule can't apply to it as it has no name altogether and therefore can't check against something else (including other morph/manifested cards), right?

yep, though the legend rule also only applies when both permanents are legendary anyway, so if your ring-bearer was an East-Mark Cavalier you don't have to get rid of your other East-Mark Cavalier unless you also enchant them with On Serra's Wings (whereas this would be fine for face-down morph cards)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Yep.

201.2a posted:

Two or more objects have the same name if they have at least one name in common, even if one or more of those objects have additional names. An object with no name doesn't have the same name as any other object, including another object with no name.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
“He’s not a Nazi, just retarded”, is not a very compelling defence tbh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Heh he's gone through and changed all his $14.88 listings to $14.89 but there's still some $148.88 ones: https://www.ebay.com/usr/discount_transformers?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

I can't see what date the listings were made in mobile though and I don't know if eBay has a way to see price histories. Dude has like 1000 different cards listed all ending in .88 though. Though I guess he could have been a Nazi forever and has listed stuff ending in .88 for years so he could get away with putting 1488 in his eBay sales.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

nazis loved gassing retards, too. maybe think before you post

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

I got the tude now posted:

So we've moved from racism, to dubiously-but-pretty-obvious Nazism, to just tossing ableist slurs around? :nallears:

Get your poo poo together, thread, this is off the rails.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Framboise posted:

So we've moved from racism, to dubiously-but-pretty-obvious Nazism, to just tossing ableist slurs around? :nallears:

Get your poo poo together, thread, this is off the rails.

It’s nice of them to just out themselves like this, though. I can safely hit the ignore button and know I’m missing out on absolutely nothing of value.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I got the tude now posted:

Lol. Pretty retarded of you to think you can come in here and say that word after someone JUST got punished for doing it. Way to go

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

johnny park posted:

Lol. Pretty retarded of you to think you can come in here and say that word after someone JUST got punished for doing it. Way to go

I gave the probes at the same time, for the record.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Stuff like this just shows that most people are going to believe whatever they want to believe regardless of the evidence.

The guy has listed countless other items with similar pricing and has backed up his explanation with proof of the original listing price. It was clearly an unfortunate mistake.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Also, real talk, part of the whole deal with 1488 is to deliberately make it a number that is perfectly capable of coming up naturally, in order to make people on the left seem like unhinged lunatics who are ready to go knives out over a number. It's like how they tried to co-opt the OK hand symbol a few years back. Please try to use some critical thought when you see it, and give people the benefit of the doubt. Also remember that 1488 is not very well known among people who aren't terminally online.

TL;DR: the number 1488, or simple derivatives, in a vacuum, should not be taken as absolute proof of being a neo-nazi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh sure

this instance in particular was certainly eyebrow-raising though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Abhorrence posted:

[*] 8 is the sum between the first pair of twin-primes (3, 5), and the only twin-prime sum that is not a multiple of 3 or 12.

12 is a multiple of 3, the "or 12" is entirely redundant

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you should instead price your cards at $13.12

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

The sudden influx of people that don't regularly post in this thread coming out of the woodwork to defend the man who likes using the Nazi number makes him look worse, not better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that post said to do *less* conspirational thinking op

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
pick which seems more likely

1) i mostly play Other TCGs but lurk the MTG thread because i find it interesting to read about

2) i am part of the secret international conspiracy to sell things on ebay at the most racist price point in history

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Froghammer posted:

The sudden influx of people that don't regularly post in this thread coming out of the woodwork to defend the man who likes using the Nazi number makes him look worse, not better

Its incredibly bizarre. What is the count up to now?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

2) i am part of the secret international conspiracy to sell things on ebay at the most racist price point in history

They always admit their true agenda eventually. Case in point!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

1) i mostly play Other TCGs but lurk the MTG thread because i find it interesting to read about

3. A bunch MtG finance bros, one of which has admitted to knowing him personally, are jumping to their friend's defense without taking five seconds to think about whether or not brigading the Magic the Gathering thread on the Something Awful forums in TYOOL 2023 is a good look for him (it's not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

He already posted an apology.
Everyone acting like
It’s some damning Nazi conspiracy sounds a little cuckoo tbh
Like get a grip already lol

Having an IK come and double down on the nazi accusations
Is obviously not helpful and
That’s something the mods should probably
Look at. Every time something like this happens some
Extremely cringe button pusher makes it worse. No wonder they’re so highly
Regarded