Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

Mmmm. Much better to stay here on SA where we have slurs in the top level forum names

fyad should have been closed and all its posters perma'd years ago. i have no idea what purpose it serves. other than i guess being a containment zone for that sort of person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the world outside the site can be considered a containment zone, from a certain point of view

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
jeffrey the sane

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

fyad should have been closed and all its posters perma'd years ago. i have no idea what purpose it serves. other than i guess being a containment zone for that sort of person

fyad serves as a check against the worst impulses of the rest of the forums. it just also reads like 2003 era SA. if you don't go there, or SAD, you probably wouldn't even know it exists for all they interact with the rest of the forums

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Remember when people called yospos a fyad lite?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Jonny 290 posted:

Mmmm. Much better to stay here on SA where we have slurs in the top level forum names

hbag posted:

what where

oh, of course

Sagebrush posted:

:hmmyes:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ADINSX posted:

conputers fyad lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ADINSX posted:

look at this 5 figgie fucktard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I used to post in YCS

e: probably at some of the peak "irony" moments that were pretty bad idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
seriously, do you remember yospos, like, 10 years ago?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

infernal machines posted:

fyad serves as a check against the worst impulses of the rest of the forums. it just also reads like 2003 era SA. if you don't go there, or SAD, you probably wouldn't even know it exists for all they interact with the rest of the forums

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

no

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

FYAD is the immune system of SA, YOSPOS is the retirement home

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I used to post in YCS

e: probably at some of the peak "irony" moments that were pretty bad idk

me too and I get reminded of it every time I see your username

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I can't recall when I started posting here rather than just reading whatever sections but I know I was not a first waver.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was posting here when it was called YOSIAPOS

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Beeftweeter posted:

i was posting here when it was called YOSIAPOS

just doesn’t have the same ring does it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, fair.

it was comparatively mean and people were in general pretty lovely to each other, as was the forums style at the time. also, slurs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

yeah i remember it from before it had its own stylesheet.

ADINSX posted:

back in those days it was a whole lot more edgy and toxic and unpleasant. remember the old rules? oof. fyad-lite was fairly accurate

the vibe now is much more byob.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

well-read undead posted:

thats why we changed it

mystes
May 31, 2006

well-read undead posted:

And no ring is not acceptable in YOSPOS

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I remember when we had the hard R in the forum rules

I made some posts around that time that I'm not too proud of

(if you think my posts are stinkers now then hoo boy)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we are ashamed of our words and deeds

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
gbs 2.0 was like 10 years ago lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Sapozhnik posted:

I made some posts around that time that I'm not too proud of

i’m really glad all my worst indiscretions were from before everything was online and eternally preserved

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
old yospos gave us the wormcast, though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well-read undead posted:

i’m really glad all my worst indiscretions were from before everything was online and eternally preserved

i cannot fathom being a teenager in the modern age.

getting out of my teens before cell phone cameras and social media more complex than myspace existed was a blessing

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ADINSX posted:

it started out that way

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it’s purpose was being a place lowtax could post gross anime and the n word. it has no purpose anymore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

i cannot fathom being a teenager in the modern age.

getting out of my teens before cell phone cameras and social media more complex than myspace existed was a blessing

i'm very glad that social media wasn't as big as it is now when i grew up, i could be so much worse

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

well-read undead posted:

https://groups.google.com

google indexed all of usenet when people actually used it for discussion going way back. i said some dumb things and got into some dumb arguments, but it was all over teenage nerd bullshit like video games or pan & scan vs widescreen dvds, nothing edgy, racist, or fascist. if someone recorded how we talked in high school or with my roommates in college though… oh boy.

i have to laugh when i see kids now watching teen dramas made today that are supposed to be set in the 90s.

"how accurate is this"
"well, they aren't using homophobic slurs as a euphemism for 'dude' and generally aren't being total assholes to each other, so, not very…"

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 3, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as someone who was a teenager in the 90s/early 2000s it's almost impossible to overstate the number of slurs used in causal conversation at the time. popular media was just as bad and fed the whole thing

it was horrific, and i cannot imagine being homosexual, trans, or sexually questioning at that time. like, i have no idea how you would survive high school, and i guess a lot of people didn't.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Beeftweeter posted:

more like mt goxler

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

akadajet posted:

it’s purpose was being a place lowtax could post gross anime and the n word. it has no purpose anymore

well it also was what drove lowtax out. maybe it will protect us from future low taxes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

old yospos gave us the wormcast, though.

i feel like that was a bit of a turning point towards everyone being a bit less lovely to each other

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also rule 36 lost a bit of its bite with the most expensive products being shittier than less expensive ones

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

as someone who was a teenager in the 90s/early 2000s it's almost impossible to overstate the number of slurs used in causal conversation at the time. popular media was just as bad and fed the whole thing

it was horrific, and i cannot imagine being homosexual, trans, or sexually questioning at that time. like, i have no idea how you would survive high school, and i guess a lot of people didn't.

there was only 1 openly gay guy in my entire high school. I’m guessing most just didn’t tell anyone.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

+1. i think about how mean, stupid, and lovely mass culture was during the early bush years a lot. constant references to counting down until basically any young woman celebrity turned 18, jokes about mexicans, muslims, and gays everywhere. bad stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

polyester concept posted:

there was only 1 openly gay guy in my entire high school. I’m guessing most just didn’t tell anyone.

well yeah, one of my friends i grew up with is a lady, and i didn't find out about it until like 10 years ago

post hole digger posted:

+1. i think about how mean, stupid, and lovely mass culture was during the early bush years a lot. constant references to counting down until basically any young woman celebrity turned 18, jokes about mexicans, muslims, and gays everywhere. bad stuff.

the clinton years were bad too, but no one even acknowledged that it was bad, it was just the way of things

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 3, 2023