Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rated PG-34 posted:

Ymmv bc I got a batch recently and it wasn’t so great. Got a couple really small ones and what I’d consider to be lower grade and looking more like blue rili shrimp.

The fire reds they sent me were great otoh

huh, weird. We’ll see how they do over the next couple weeks

I got a couple berried females in my batch, and everybody’s nice and deep blue. But I’m inexperienced with skrimps and maybe my standards are off 🤷🏻‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Anyone go to Reefpalooza this weekend?

Love to drop $300 on corals and other accessories

God this hobby is a money pit

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

Anyone go to Reefpalooza this weekend?

Love to drop $300 on corals and other accessories

God this hobby is a money pit

As a freshwater person, I appreciate the hard work that salt water people do to make my hobby appear frugal and low maintenance.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HazCat posted:

As a freshwater person, I appreciate the hard work that salt water people do to make my hobby appear frugal and low maintenance.

The crazy thing is, fragging a lot of coral is *really* easy. If you can buy coral from other hobbyists it can be quite reasonable. Craigslist is where that happens around here, but there isn't enough of it.

It was Facebook for a while but their no live animal policy killed a lot of it and it hasn't recovered.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I ended getting a one gallon jug of pool shock. It’s 12.5% bleach instead of the usual 8% so I just have to dilute it a little more. I use it mostly for bird feeder cleaning but some aquarium stuff to.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spotted my very first baby neocardinia today!
Bright yellow and beautiful
Woooo
Time to be overrun and lousy with them

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sockser posted:

Spotted my very first baby neocardinia today!
Bright yellow and beautiful
Woooo
Time to be overrun and lousy with them

Awesome. Where'd you get them? My yellows are not *bright* and I'd like to get there.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

so pool testing stick PH testing some ~8 hour aged tap water, looks like my natural water here is ~6.4 - 6.6 which is on the low end. my fry tank keeps reading in the 6.0 range which seems awfully low

i added some cuttlefish bone this morning, as well as scraped a bunch (3/4 teaspoon) off with a screwdriver to increase surface/reaction area; a 30% water change pushed it up to ~6.4 which seems to be the lower limit of "optimal" for rice fish. Some sites claim 7.0

going to add some baking soda? apparently that is the go-to, 1 tsp/5 gal? two of my largest fry died, but were replaced by 5 more over the last ~30 hours. I suspect low ph is at least partly to blame. pushing it to 7 seems like a not terrible idea

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Awesome. Where'd you get them? My yellows are not *bright* and I'd like to get there.

My yellows all came from https://shrimpybusiness.com/

Pretty quick turnaround and well packaged, would recommend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Added uh, near 3/4 teaspoon baking soda around 8pm last night. Woke up to six fish. By noon was closer to a dozen. Then I saw a fish trying to wriggle out of it's egg so I sucked the whole egg group up with a turkey baster pipette thing, splatted it out into a dish and he was born. Two more followed in short order, ended up with so far a second dozen of fish. Looks like two have swim bladder issues unfortunately. The rest seem really healthy. Not sure if it was timing or what, but seems like the ph jump towards more favorable conditions might have pushed them all to hatch. Downside is that I have a single orange rice fish and it looks like the second batch that hatched got it's genes, so now I have two populations I'll need to separate. Even in the first hour you can tell the silver/platinum ones from the orange ones.

The "let the eggs chill out in chlorinated water" trick seems to be working, they're on day... 4 or 5 and developing really well. Just sitting in a ~3 oz sauce dish and they get fresh water from the sink that sits for ~10 min to temp equalize. They've had eye spots for a couple days now. In another day or two I should start seeing them wriggle in the eggs periodically

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Hi y'all. Me and my partner recently got a small 10 gallon tank, a pair of mystery snails (Ampullariidae> and a pair of ramshorn abails (Planorbidae). We now have a fuckton of ramshorn snails and we were thinking of adding a loach or something else that could help control their population. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this situation.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

10g is kind of small to keep loaches, any of the ones big enough to make a dent in the snail population would probably need more room than that. Loaches need to be kept kind of warm to help avoid illness, and should be kept in groups of 6 or so to avoid stress and allow social interactions. Dwarf chain loaches might work? Or pea puffers, they also eat snails and need to do so to keep their teeth healthy.

I’m thinking you might value your mystery snails and have been keeping them well fed, which is why your ramshorn population is doing so well. Putting carnivorous fish in with snails means they are all at risk so setting up a second tank for loaches or puffers that properly meets their requirements, and then moving snails to that tank as required makes more sense to me and gives you more control over what goes on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Good to know, I don't know much about loaches and was going to hold off on getting any until I knew more anyhow. Sounds like they might not be the solution I am looking for. Thanks.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

You could get one Assassin Snail and let nature take its course.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Loaches with eye spikes like clowns love snails, but won't be okay in a 10. Loaches without, the more hillstream kinds, can do okay in a 10 gallon (Sewellia lineolata is one) but they won't eat snails.

Has been almost two months since I QT's a bag of java fern. They probably okay to go in normal tanks now, right? Is fishing line the way to attach them to poo poo still?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Loaches with eye spikes like clowns love snails, but won't be okay in a 10. Loaches without, the more hillstream kinds, can do okay in a 10 gallon (Sewellia lineolata is one) but they won't eat snails.

Has been almost two months since I QT's a bag of java fern. They probably okay to go in normal tanks now, right? Is fishing line the way to attach them to poo poo still?

get a second, bigger tank

put specimen fish in bigger tank

feed snails from 10gal to fish in bigger tank

bing bong

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Aquarium Thread: get another tank

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

You could get one Assassin Snail and let nature take its course.

Would it potentially be a threat to the mystery snails or the larger ramshorns? It might be an easier solution

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've seen a lot of people on youtube using gel super glue to attach things like java ferns and anubias to stuff. Just put a small dab on the surface you want to attach the rhizome to and stick the plant on.

I'm trying it on my new tank. It's only been three weeks, but nothing has died yet.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Aquarium Thread: get another tank

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Weembles posted:

I've seen a lot of people on youtube using gel super glue to attach things like java ferns and anubias to stuff. Just put a small dab on the surface you want to attach the rhizome to and stick the plant on.

I'm trying it on my new tank. It's only been three weeks, but nothing has died yet.

yeah i use cyanoacrylate in my tank and it worked fine

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

yeah i use cyanoacrylate in my tank and it worked fine

I use it on corals routinely

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I use gorilla glue superglue gel. one 10g bottle is good for about 4 medium sized plants under water. The gel creates a sort of shell of hardened glue around the glue blob, and then when you smash the plant/roots against the wall/rock/brick, new glue oozes through cracks in the shell and it holds the plant in a medium current after 10-15 seconds

Serpadesign and all the other landscape aquarium guys on youtube seem to use superglue and silicone caulk all day long with no issues so I'd say it's beyond well proven aquarium safe at this point

Superglue based stuff is used by the army (and ER docs?) to close wounds on humans

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I just used gorilla gel to secure some “orange juice” rotala to some pebbles in order to keep it upright until it roots

works a treat, but I think the gel kind takes too long to cure vs liquid when emersed. I think it might handle immersed application a bit better, IDK

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Snail orgy

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Would it potentially be a threat to the mystery snails or the larger ramshorns? It might be an easier solution

Disregard, apparently they can kill ramshorns regardless of size. My bad!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have roughly 30 medaka/ricefish fry, have been keeping an eye on water parameters, doing 10% water change every other day, fry seem to be pretty happy now. At any given time ~5-6 are doing something besides sitting at the very top of the tank.

Chlorinated eggs are on day 7 or 8, expecting them to hatch here in about 4 days, saw one squirm in the egg today so that's a plus. Harvested another 10 eggs from one of the females. I think if those hatch, by the time they hatch the oldest fry will still be too small to eat them. Probably the last batch of eggs I'll collect this summer, the fry are on day 4 and seem to be pretty healthy thus far. If half of them survive to adulthood that's plenty of ricefish for the rest of the year.

Exceptionally hot day today, moved my tiny fish planter into the garage; water temp was getting to be ~85

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

I use gorilla glue superglue gel. one 10g bottle is good for about 4 medium sized plants under water. The gel creates a sort of shell of hardened glue around the glue blob, and then when you smash the plant/roots against the wall/rock/brick, new glue oozes through cracks in the shell and it holds the plant in a medium current after 10-15 seconds

Serpadesign and all the other landscape aquarium guys on youtube seem to use superglue and silicone caulk all day long with no issues so I'd say it's beyond well proven aquarium safe at this point

Superglue based stuff is used by the army (and ER docs?) to close wounds on humans

Just making sure, because i used super glue before and either didn't do it properly or the plant was already dead, but I'm guessing you apply the super glue out of the water and not actually in it when securing the roots right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I usually let the plant float around on the surface for a day or two

But yeah I put the super glue gel on the roots and then boop it onto the side of the pond or a brick or whatever in the water. It's possible you totally encapsulated the root structure but seems unlikely. My guess is your plant was already dead or on the way out

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
oh these plants, java fern to be precise, have been in QT for about 40 days free floating.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can confirm java fern isn't impacted by super glue. Both of these were glued to the side of my pond tub about two or three weeks ago

Pic of my fry hatching recently while I'm at it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

gently caress it, double posting

Can't get this one to post as a gif, they're squirming around like crazy, just gave them fresh tank water and put them in the sun briefly

Bunch of fry hanging out in my green water tank. Apparently insufloria eat green water algae so I'm running with it. I've got two baby daphnia that in theory should mature, reproduce and clean up the water once the fry are all on regular food

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 1, 2023

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Hadlock posted:

gently caress it, double posting

Can't get this one to post as a gif, they're squirming around like crazy, just gave them fresh tank water and put them in the sun briefly

haha they look like the mars attacks! dudes

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

All of my danios are getting plump and big and beautiful, though poor L'il Green went missing and I assume was eaten by either my cat or my shrimp
But one of the remaining four is like... shrinking. I assume he has some sort of disease and will be on death's door soon enough.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have a group of Pseudomugil gertrudae that, as far as I can tell, make babies all the time in my tank (I don't see the babies much because of the plants but adolescents show up at feeding time now and then). Today I spotted one that's at nearly adult size cruising around that has a very pronounced curve in its spine near the tail, like the bottom half of an 's'. It seems like he still gets around (although he swims like a spaz) and since he's made it near adulthood I guess he's getting food—is that likely to be a random deformity or should I be worried about a nutrient deficiency or something?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The rainbow fish breeder that I got my melanotaenia exquisita from gave me the advice to feed extra vitamin C in the food to help avoid deformities, both the parents and the fry. He makes a homebrew food of squid, prawn, peas, corn, powdered vitamin C and some other stuff that I don't remember blended together. The recipe might be from this free book? https://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Book.htm you should find advice for pseudomugil in here too. Egg laying fish are prone to having some deformed fry, but lack of sunlight and fresh prey surely impacts the amount of nutrition the fry get too. If you aren't feeding prepared fry food it wouldn't surprise me if they are lacking something. I've had some wonky guppies in the past and put them out in my old pond, as a way of "culling" them to stop them breeding more wonky guppies, and for many of them their twisted spines improved a bit with sunlight and live food. Not to 100% mind you but it kind of supports the theory of deficiency rather than poor genetics.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

My mom bought a couple of cheap tanks at an auction and decided to gift one to my son for his birthday. She outfitted the tank with a little bubbler, a bit of decor, and went and bought a couple of feeder goldfish from petsmart. My son loved it. I wish I'd gotten it on camera, he was instantly enamored and stated that it was "just what I've always wanted". But beyond buying the sad little goldfish the tank was not cycled, didn't have a filter, and was only a gallon in size. Poor fish didn't make it a week. :(

Sad as it is, seeing his reaction reignited my love of aquariums, so I've set out to do it again and do it right. I went out and bought a 9 gallon fluval flex and I'm going slowly to build it up as it should. I want to do a planted tank and I could use some feedback and advice. My family and I have had aquariums off and on since before I was born, but they've always been either your standard plastic plant and little diver statuettes or get some fish from the pond and toss them into a bare tank (these were display tanks for my Grandpa's hatchery, not long term habitats). Suffice it to say a natural looking planted tank is new to me, as is actually reading about it instead of working off what I've picked up just having them around over the years.

Here's my tank so far.
Front

Right side

Left side

I set it up last night. Added the hardscape (all dragon rock), substrate (fluval bio stratum), plants (spiral vallisnaria, duckweed, red root floaters, water lettuce, java Fern, and a couple of freebies the fish shop guy threw in that I've forgotten the names of), and bacterial cycle starter (Tetra Safe Start). I plan on letting it go for a few weeks to get established and then add a few fish.

Anyone see anything wrong with it so far?
Is it ok that my floaters are moving around in the eddy current?
How do you suggest getting plants to stay down in the substrate?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Prof. Banks posted:

My mom bought a couple of cheap tanks at an auction and decided to gift one to my son for his birthday. She outfitted the tank with a little bubbler, a bit of decor, and went and bought a couple of feeder goldfish from petsmart. My son loved it. I wish I'd gotten it on camera, he was instantly enamored and stated that it was "just what I've always wanted". But beyond buying the sad little goldfish the tank was not cycled, didn't have a filter, and was only a gallon in size. Poor fish didn't make it a week. :(

Sad as it is, seeing his reaction reignited my love of aquariums, so I've set out to do it again and do it right. I went out and bought a 9 gallon fluval flex and I'm going slowly to build it up as it should. I want to do a planted tank and I could use some feedback and advice. My family and I have had aquariums off and on since before I was born, but they've always been either your standard plastic plant and little diver statuettes or get some fish from the pond and toss them into a bare tank (these were display tanks for my Grandpa's hatchery, not long term habitats). Suffice it to say a natural looking planted tank is new to me, as is actually reading about it instead of working off what I've picked up just having them around over the years.

Here's my tank so far.
Front

Right side

Left side

I set it up last night. Added the hardscape (all dragon rock), substrate (fluval bio stratum), plants (spiral vallisnaria, duckweed, red root floaters, water lettuce, java Fern, and a couple of freebies the fish shop guy threw in that I've forgotten the names of), and bacterial cycle starter (Tetra Safe Start). I plan on letting it go for a few weeks to get established and then add a few fish.

Anyone see anything wrong with it so far?
Is it ok that my floaters are moving around in the eddy current?
How do you suggest getting plants to stay down in the substrate?

Seems like you could use more substrate

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I'd like to, but with the way the Fluval Flex is set up one of the two filter intakes is low down and more substrate would block it.

It's currently about 2 inches deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Prof. Banks posted:

I'd like to, but with the way the Fluval Flex is set up one of the two filter intakes is low down and more substrate would block it.

It's currently about 2 inches deep.

I don’t think you need more substrate. I’ve got a 13g flex and. Have about 1.5-2” substrate and it’s fine. You can try attaching some of those plants to a single rock (unscented dental floss or superglue) and then bury the rock in the substrate.