Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

credburn posted:

Bravely Default / Octopath are not the turn-based Final Fantasys we want. They're fine on their own, but I do miss a good epic Final Fantasy with some form of turn-based combat.

Infinite Mana is in Early Access on Steam, and it might be what you're looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Lies of P is a janky game that asks the burning question "what if Pinocchio but a souls like". Its demo is... fine, I guess, but it has an extremely annoying thing in that there appears to be literally no way to pause the game. Hitting escape brings up a loadout menu but doesn't pause, and going from there to the settings menu still doesn't pause and you can get ganked while changing your video settings etc.

What this means is that if the phone/doorbell rings, or the cat gets into a pickle, or any one of a million things happen in real life that you need to attend to when you're in combat, you have to just die.

Not sure I would have bought the game on the strength of the demo, but games that don't respect the fact that you actually have things to do outside of them are a real pet peeve

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I mean, that's exactly what the souls games do

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kazil posted:

I mean, that's exactly what the souls games do

And it sucks poo poo. At least in souls games they have the excuse of online interaction, but I don't think lies of P does that.

I'll never understand why developers ape the worst poo poo from souls games. Corpse runs, 10 minute boss runbacks through a gauntlet of rear end in a top hat enemies, and the inability to pause aren't what make those games good.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
In Soulsborne I think the idea is that you're only ever safe in the hub area and they don't actually want you to be able to take a break between bonfires/lanterns/whatever. I'm sure if they felt like it they could have just disabled the ability to pause when you're being invaded.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

credburn posted:

Bravely Default / Octopath are not the turn-based Final Fantasys we want. They're fine on their own, but I do miss a good epic Final Fantasy with some form of turn-based combat.

Do any other turn-based games count or does it have to be a Final Fantasy game by Square Enix? Have you heard of Trails or Etrian Odyssey? Shin Megami Tensai?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

bossy lady posted:

And it sucks poo poo. At least in souls games they have the excuse of online interaction, but I don't think lies of P does that.

I'll never understand why developers ape the worst poo poo from souls games. Corpse runs, 10 minute boss runbacks through a gauntlet of rear end in a top hat enemies, and the inability to pause aren't what make those games good.

Everything I've seen from Life of P makes it look like they lifted everything straight from Bloodborne. Not saying it's good or bad, just seems like exactly what they were going for.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I got to have a pretty good metroid game for a while and now i'm stuck in an underwater stealth section with an EMMI that loving freezes you if you cross its line of sight. It's honest to god like somebody on the development team decided "nobody likes the EMMI's by this point, let's just turn them things off" and then after a few hours of playing a Metroid game you open up a Pandora's Box that may as well say "Metroid Developers: Do Not Open" which causes some other later-metroid-games bullshit to infect literally the entire game on top of turning the EMMIs back on. I've never had a game with a single mechanic like this that it was willing to literally switch off (to immense improvement) only for it to turn it back on and triple down this hard on making sure it sucks poo poo, just absolutely loving garbage.

e: mercifully a lot shorter, made it out with 1 HP. Found a path I could take while cloaking the whole way and then abused the AI a little bit to make it go one way instead of the other when going between rooms, then booked it to the end. Died a ton right afterward because I was at 1 HP, but I'd rather have to thread a needle while falling downwards until I can perfectly land and get health than do that bullshit again.

I can finally put my finger on what the EMMI's remind me of--they remind me of my cat when it's around the time during the day for him to be fed. Will always be either in the exact same room or in the next room over, constantly pacing back and forth and trying to head me off before I have a chance to even step foot into the next room, will try to get into another room (through hell or high water) for no other reason than he knows I will have to walk through that room in order to get to the kitchen and he must attack my toes before then.

bawk has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jul 3, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

RareAcumen posted:

Do any other turn-based games count or does it have to be a Final Fantasy game by Square Enix? Have you heard of Trails or Etrian Odyssey? Shin Megami Tensai?

It's almost completely based on nostalgia. I want my Final Fantasy tropes and staples. I want Cid with his airship, and moogles, chocobos, etc. I want something that plays like Final Fantasy IV but looks like Final Fantasy XVI.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

mycot posted:

In Soulsborne I think the idea is that you're only ever safe in the hub area and they don't actually want you to be able to take a break between bonfires/lanterns/whatever. I'm sure if they felt like it they could have just disabled the ability to pause when you're being invaded.

In most if not all souls game you can simply menu > quit to title screen and when you continue it resumes you in the same spot, making it effectively a pause. It also infact disables when playing in co op or being invaded

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

kazil posted:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Got the game during the Steam sale and I don't know if I'm just completely wrong but the combat feels awful. The ATB system just doesn't work well with the action-y combat. Party members don't seem to do anything unless you are controlling them, and enemies will just swarm whichever party member you are currently controlling. It's not clicking for me and I'm not liking it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the combat is a big part of why I dicked around and took drat near 3 years to actually sit and play through it. It was definitely not for me.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I really liked FF7 remake's combat. Probably because at the time the only RPG I'd ever completed was earthbound.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

credburn posted:

It's almost completely based on nostalgia. I want my Final Fantasy tropes and staples. I want Cid with his airship, and moogles, chocobos, etc. I want something that plays like Final Fantasy IV but looks like Final Fantasy XVI.

Play Dragon Quest, name your main character Cid, and squint hard enough that the dragon/bird you get to fly with looks like an air ship. Problem solved!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kazil posted:

Everything I've seen from Life of P makes it look like they lifted everything straight from Bloodborne. Not saying it's good or bad, just seems like exactly what they were going for.

What if Bloodborne but it was really easy to get stuck in the boss's feet and fail to dodge away.

You can pause in Sekiro so at least From is sometimes capable of learning from their past mistakes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think if you couldnt pause sekiro youd wind up with rsi from beating it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I beat every boss in sekiro and I still got rsi???

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

credburn posted:

I think the modern version of JRPG turn-based combat is using cards. So I feel like if we got a Final Fantasy series that never played with real-time combat it would probably look something like Slay the Spire with each character contributing their own cards to the deck or each character draws from their own deck for every turn. Something like that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hate this card collecting crap. Part of the reason why I got into video games to begin with was to do cool poo poo with my dudes not collect lameass cards. Get them out of my games!!

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It wouldn't even need to be collecting cards though. I mean it would, because of course it would, but just randomized abilities to form a turn from.

Just something to convince themselves they're not just playable anime and their combat totally does matter.

That's why I don't even look at Final Fantasy anymore now that they're pseudo realtime whatever. It's too much effort for the series. If I'm in the mood for a video game with gameplay that demands my attention I'll go play a different series.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade 3: You can only fully map an area when you visit every fast-travel point and unmarked location. These maps can be quite big and before that point the map looks like something out of MS paint, especially in the ;ater chapter where it turns into the Wind Waker.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tengames posted:

In most if not all souls game you can simply menu > quit to title screen and when you continue it resumes you in the same spot, making it effectively a pause. It also infact disables when playing in co op or being invaded

Way back in DS1 days, I was doing a run back to...somewhere, can't recall what, to get my BERY large amount of souls (I THINK I was going to fight he Darkroot Garden hydra?) And whatever path I was talking involved a VERY long elevator (I think it' was the hydra because I'm pretty sure it's the elevator from Valley of the Drakes to Darkroot?) that I forgot to send back up. I started falling down into the giant hole, and somehow I had the intuition to IMMEDIATELY stand up and smash that PS3 power button. It force-quit the game, and when it reloaded, I was safely on the edge of the elevator hole. I got to it in time before I hit bottom. Got my souls back and alls well.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's a thing called stable ground. The game always updates your last stable ground position, that way you can alt-f4 as much as you want and appear in the same place. Boss arenas don't count as stable ground, so if you turn the game off while fighting a boss you always respawn just outside the boss arena.

It also makes the enemies return to their spawn locations, like when you use a bonfire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It also means alt+f4'ing when you get invaded works well.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF7R never wants you to spend more than 5 seconds controlling one character. You have to use your entire party all the time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

RareAcumen posted:

FF7R has a lot going on. It wants you to guard against attacks, just like Dark Souls but it won't give you any I-frames when you roll, unlike Dark Souls. And you also have a bunch of summons in nearly every fight but you can also control them too which is odd. And it's a real weird turn for the series to want you to use every character at once instead of the original, when it was the preferred strategy to just use Cloud since he was never leaving the party.

Anyway, look at how much swapping around they do in the first boss fight, it's kinda nuts.

WaltherFeng posted:

FF7R never wants you to spend more than 5 seconds controlling one character. You have to use your entire party all the time.

Between FF7R, the Guardians of the Galaxy game, and something like Dragon Age II or Mass Effect there is a perfect semi-real time combat system for parties where you can control who you want and it's rarely necessary to swap between them a lot because you've told them all how to fight and what to do when they are not the PC.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
FF12's gambit system or Dragon Age 1's party scripting?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I really liked the combat system in FF7R because of the character swapping. Doing cool sword parries with Cloud, then hopping over to Barrett and playing a cover shooter for a few seconds before switching to Tifa and busting out 20-hit Tekken combos.

The dodge having no iframes hosed me up real bad, though. That part sucks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Phigs posted:

It wouldn't even need to be collecting cards though. I mean it would, because of course it would, but just randomized abilities to form a turn from.

https://i.imgur.com/ZfJOcAC.mp4

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schubalts posted:

I forget which of DA 1 or 2 had the better party scripting but that's what I meant, yeah. It was so satisfying having the other party members execute plans and contingencies and combos that I had setup earlier. Videogames combined with IF statements was like nerd heaven.

Then DA Inquisition had to simplify and dumb it down... :smith:

Mixing that into something like FF7R or GotG would have ruled for doing tag-team moves and having teammates keep the buffs and heals going without constant input.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 17:38 on Jul 3, 2023

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dragon age 2 had problems but I remember setting up really satisfying combos with the scripting. It was more user friendly than DAO but not as simple as DAI. I... honestly don't remember any scripting for DAI. I suppose if that existed it shows how little I used it across multiple playthroughs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

DAI probably has the worst open world I've seen in a game. Simply dire.

The combat wasn't any better. Hold down a trigger and press the face buttons every once in a while? That was pretty much it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FF7R rules because it does actually have reasons to switch between characters outside of playing differently. As an example, Barrett is good for flying enemies without spending ATB but he also has a huge health pool that you can juice up quite a bit, so with defence buffs/healing/cover spells you can have him cover for other, squishier characters. Then you can use Tifa and Cloud to boost the stagger gauge, and Tifa can actually push the stagger percentage way higher than normal, I think over 200%, and bounce between them both to empty their ATB gauges using their high-damage attacks. You can replace Tifa for Aerith and have her set up a ton to maximize spell usage, like creating an area where all spells cast twice + other bonuses and effectively nuke a boss from orbit when they're staggered, and the setup requires multiple steps being done while juggling other characters for aggro and positioning

I also think the dodge mechanic on its own requires another materia to utilize iframes, which is dumb, but it does all come together pretty well

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think a lot of the problems people have is that it doesn't tutorialize its mechanics enough, and that it is aggressively its own thing, it's neither an FF16-style character action game nor a souls like.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Almost like an Active Time Battle system.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Inspector Gesicht posted:

DAI probably has the worst open world I've seen in a game. Simply dire.

The combat wasn't any better. Hold down a trigger and press the face buttons every once in a while? That was pretty much it.

I played on PC with m+kb which makes it easier to do a tactics but at least with Reaver and Templar warriors and Dual Wield rogues it eventually does boil down to "find your best button and just press it until you win."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This feels like a weirdly petty thing to complain about, but here goes anyway: The graphics in BattleBit Remastered. Yes it's intentional and basically the very decision that allowed the game to exist in the first place. And yes, the gameplay is legitimately very solid and easily beats out the most recent Battlefield. But still, it's just too plain and abstract for me. The maps don't read as actual environments. The player avatars don't read as people. As tired as "my immersion!" may be as a complaint, I'm simply not immersed. I kill a guy and I don't care, I capture a point and I don't care, I blow up a tank and I don't care.

Which is super annoying cause everything else about it I really quite like.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

I hate this card collecting crap. Part of the reason why I got into video games to begin with was to do cool poo poo with my dudes not collect lameass cards. Get them out of my games!!

Of my gazillion hours in RDR2 I'm pretty sure like half of them are me running all over the map trying to find all the cigarette cards

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Perestroika posted:

This feels like a weirdly petty thing to complain about, but here goes anyway: The graphics in BattleBit Remastered. Yes it's intentional and basically the very decision that allowed the game to exist in the first place. And yes, the gameplay is legitimately very solid and easily beats out the most recent Battlefield. But still, it's just too plain and abstract for me. The maps don't read as actual environments. The player avatars don't read as people. As tired as "my immersion!" may be as a complaint, I'm simply not immersed. I kill a guy and I don't care, I capture a point and I don't care, I blow up a tank and I don't care.

Which is super annoying cause everything else about it I really quite like.

I'm feeling that, too. Somehow these levels feel less real than a level in Doom and I feel like that's where my threshold is.

I wish there was blood or some better indicator of having killed a guy. Sometimes those big blocky expressionless ragdolls don't really "fall" so much as "lean against the wall" and I find I'm putting a lot more bullets into them than is necessary.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Powerwash Simulator has an aiming mode where it locks down your view, and now moving the mouse controls the angling of your sprayer instead of where you're looking. Makes sense to use when you have a big flat area you want to sweep over more evenly.

Unfortunately, the concept of "moving the mouse isn't moving my character" does not agree with my brain and using it gives me instant pangs of motion sickness. :(

Though the game in general might be giving me low levels of it by default. If only due to some of the funky angles you need to deal with.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Schubalts posted:

you can just shoot me i wont pick a favourite