Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

explain its benefits, because i suspected from the go that it had to be completely busted in some way but couldn't work out how

If you use to cancel out of any attack, even if it is just on the last frame of animation, it gives you a parry-length time slow and it has a cooldown of basically nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am thinking of dropping my extremely cool Raging Fists for Judgment Bolt once I can save enough AP to master it, because that is the only ability slot that is not part of my burst window combo.

Pre-cast Megaflare, trigger the stagger, Diamond Dust, Lightning Rod, Potion+Limit Break, Flames of Rebirth, Gigaflare, Windup. If I do the swap, Judgment Bolt will go in at the end. I'll miss having a counter attack for outside the stagger window though...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cancelling is one of those things where I can see how it matters in cutthroat fighting games or whatever, but to my poor turn-based gamer brain seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Is losing 1/6 of your entire moveset worth getting the rest of it out 3 frames earlier? Who can say.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 3, 2023

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Clarste posted:

Cancelling is one of those things where I can see how it matters in cutthroat fighting games or whatever, but to my poor turn-based gamer brain seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Is losing 1/6 of you entire moveset worth getting the rest of it out 3 frames earlier? Who can say.

yes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Clarste posted:

Cancelling is one of those things where I can see how it matters in cutthroat fighting games or whatever, but to my poor turn-based gamer brain seems like way more trouble than it's worth. Is losing 1/6 of you entire moveset worth getting the rest of it out 3 frames earlier? Who can say.

Yes because it lets you cram more things into stagger windows and the slo mo is great (and also effects stagger refill) (also also it makes parrying easier which Odin really likes)

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I've just finished all the hunts and sidequests and I'm about to go into the final dungeon/boss

I'm really liking the following setup

Phoenix - Heatwave + Flames of Rebirth
Odin - Dancing Steel + Heaven's Cloud
Titan - Raging Fists + Judgement Bolt

Heatwave is really useful i've found - especially when you get annoying flying enemies. It smacks them out of the sky. It also does additional attacks and damage when you block a projectile with it

I set up a Rank 5 Zantetsuken before a stagger, and when the stagger hits I go

-> Judgement Bolt -> Flames of Rebirth -> Rank 5 Zantetsuken -> Dancing Steel -> Heaven's Cloud -> Second Rank 5 Zantetsuken.

I'm pretty consistently hitting 120k damage per stagger now - The Behemoth King hunt was a 2 stagger fight, with the guy dying on my last Zentetsuken.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Yes because it lets you cram more things into stagger windows and the slo mo is great (and also effects stagger refill) (also also it makes parrying easier which Odin really likes)

I haven't found it too difficult to cram everything into the stagger window provided you are using a few ults. If you are just using 5-6 regular abilities then yes I can see the case for it.

Use more ults

Solus posted:

I've just finished all the hunts and sidequests and I'm about to go into the final dungeon/boss

I'm really liking the following setup

Phoenix - Heatwave + Flames of Rebirth
Odin - Dancing Steel + Heaven's Cloud
Titan - Raging Fists + Judgement Bolt

Heatwave is really useful i've found - especially when you get annoying flying enemies. It smacks them out of the sky. It also does additional attacks and damage when you block a projectile with it

I set up a Rank 5 Zantetsuken before a stagger, and when the stagger hits I go

-> Judgement Bolt -> Flames of Rebirth -> Rank 5 Zantetsuken -> Dancing Steel -> Heaven's Cloud -> Second Rank 5 Zantetsuken.

I'm pretty consistently hitting 120k damage per stagger now - The Behemoth King hunt was a 2 stagger fight, with the guy dying on my last Zentetsuken.

Does Flames of Rebirth do more damage than Judgment Bolt? If not, it might be better to use Flames first to increase the stagger damage multiplier before using your big nuke.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I probably need to play through the order some more to maximise it - It might be better in the exact opposite order.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I haven't found it too difficult to cram everything into the stagger window provided you are using a few ults. If you are just using 5-6 regular abilities then yes I can see the case for it.

Use more ults

You can cancel out of ults too. Rift Slip the second the last bit of damage goes out. It's still more time to do stuff, like fit in a Zantetsuken or 2, which is going to be more damage than any ult except Gigaflare.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
i would use diamond dust instead of flames of rebirth in that setup, before judgment bolt. damage multiplier in stagger is based on will damage x number of hits, but a single dust will get you to almost 1.5 in a single go and is on a significantly shorter cooldown than flames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

You can cancel out of ults too. Rift Slip the second the last bit of damage goes out. It's still more time to do stuff, like fit in a Zantetsuken or 2, which is going to be more damage than any ult except Gigaflare.

Legs Benedict posted:

i would use diamond dust instead of flames of rebirth in that setup, before judgment bolt. damage multiplier in stagger is based on will damage x number of hits, but a single dust will get you to almost 1.5 in a single go and is on a significantly shorter cooldown than flames

Hmm. Might have to swap something around to try dropping Titan's ult for Rift Slip(and a 2nd zantetsuken) and opening up with Diamond Dust -> Gigaflare instead of Lightning Rod -> Gigaflare.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just got to the final mission. Some folks don't like the sudden surge of side quests and hunts here, and I can understand that. Me, though? I'm looking at it like

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

General questions about 5th Eikon's abilities: Which of these are the most useful? Is the Eikonic feat worthwhile if you charge it up with perfect dodges against a boss? Seems hard to gauge, since there's an opportunity cost of "not doing damage while charging it."

Do the orbs from Impulse explode on their own or do you always need/want to do it manually? Does the satellite thing do decent damage or maybe help with increasing the stagger damage ratio quickly?

Going to use this stuff just for the variety, but it's hard to figure out how it compares with alternatives.

Twinside stuff was cool. I'm happy that they didn't kill Joshua off when he was hugging Clive after the fight. That part scared the poo poo out of me, because the whole scene screamed "something is gonna suddenly stab Joshua." I still don't trust the game to keep him alive, but I really hope it does. I want him and Clive to live happily ever after :(. I will sacrifice Jill if it is neccessary to achieve this (speaking of which, I'm still very curious how/when I'm going to get Shiva abilities - I'm wondering if Ultima somehow "possesses" her as part of the next arc, since he mentions wanting to sever Clive's bonds).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 3, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ytlaya posted:

General questions about 5th Eikon's abilities: Which of these are the most useful? Is the Eikonic feat worthwhile if you charge it up with perfect dodges against a boss? Seems hard to gauge, since there's an opportunity cost of "not doing damage while charging it."

Do the orbs from Impulse explode on their own or do you always need/want to do it manually? Does the satellite thing do decent damage or maybe help with increasing the stagger damage ratio quickly?

Going to use this stuff just for the variety, but it's hard to figure out how it compares with alternatives.

Twinside stuff was cool. I'm happy that they didn't kill Joshua off when he was hugging Clive after the fight. That part scared the poo poo out of me, because the whole scene screamed "something is gonna suddenly stab Joshua." I still don't trust the game to keep him alive, but I really hope it does. I want him and Clive to live happily ever after :(. I will sacrifice Jill if it is neccessary to achieve this (speaking of which, I'm still very curious how/when I'm going to get Shiva abilities - I'm wondering if Ultima somehow "possesses" her as part of the next arc, since he mentions wanting to sever Clive's bonds).

Eikonic feat at Level 4 is truly stupid, that plus Impulse make the biggest threat the complete inability to see the enemies at all through all the orbs. Satellite is decent failing alternatives, the shots do pretty good will damage and they do a lot of hits, especially when you Magic Burst.

Meanwhile, Flare Breath just kind of sucks, in my experience.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
5th eikon: impulse is also extremely useful for stagger combos because the projectiles will keep slamming into the staggered enemy and building the multiplier as you tear into them with your other skills. i always try to cast it right before the enemy's will meter is totally depleted

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Bahamut's part of my end-game lineup, I usually run either Satellite/Impule + Gigaflare. It's most useful against a foe that spams a lot of attacks (or just spam taunt on your end, that still works).

Impulse does some damage by itself but it's a lot better if you manually trigger it as soon as the orbs start glowing orange, it chunks will like crazy if you do that.

Satellite does decent will damage if you use it consistently, but I swapped it out for Impulse because I found that it usually interrupts small mobs who are about to attack you when I wanted perfect dodges for Megaflare, which can mess up your charge game for big groups. Against mobs with stagger bars it's fine though. Might be better in NG+ where mobs are more aggressive.

I haven't really found much of a use for Flare Breath outside of Lightning Rod shenanigans, I guess it's nice to group mobs up for Gigaflare?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meanwhile, my dumb rear end didn't even realize you could detonate Impulse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just messed around with the skills some while doing a couple of the three hunts that just opened up, and (5th Eikon) I think my main issue with Impulse is that it just doesn't have much "oomph" to it. Gigaflare is really cool at least, and is probably the most fun ultimate skills I've used.

Still don't have a good idea of when to use the Eikonic feat skill, though. Group of enemies are just too weak for it to matter. But maybe it adds up to enough damage against bosses to be worth it? It seems to stick around for a pretty long time, but since it comes in the form of "a lot of small hits," it's hard to gauge exactly how good it compares to using that same time to do (for example) normal magic burst combos.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

But maybe it adds up to enough damage against bosses to be worth it?

it does

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should I open with it, or use it after expending all my other skills? I'd normally think the latter, but my other skills are often enough to get close to full exhausting the enemy's stagger meter (which wouldn't leave me with enough time/opportunities to reasonably charge up the Megaflare).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

In the latter parts of the game, one of my biggest frustrations is fights with lots of weak enemies. One big enemy with a stagger bar? No problem, I can annhilate them efficiently. But I always just end up doing the regular combo on weak enemies, and even with finishers it feels like it takes forever. I know I should use more eikonic powers, but I got in the bad habit of saving them for enemies with stagger bars, and it's hard to break that.

The Bahamut O move is perfect for fights like that! You can start it up and get up to level 4 in no time if there are a bunch of enemies grouped together. Just a few dodges and you're done, and raining fire down upon them, it's great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blockhouse posted:

Good call. You were right.

So doing some testing at the training ground against a coeurl, rift slip is a pretty big dps gain if you can get a 2nd zantetsuken out of it. Getting in a 2nd zantetsuken gives me another 50k damage(200k vs 250k) when rift slip replaces windup.
The timing is extremely tight, at least it was for me, as a maxed out dancing steel and the 25% gain accessory still wasn't quite enough to fill up the bar to level five. I heard that it should fill up the bar completely with the 25% accessory, but I guess I was mistaken. This should be way easier on ng+ once you get the 50% variant, but there's basically nothing left at that point. But then you can drop rift slip for windup and you have a ridiculous amount of burst available during stagger.

My combo during stagger was megaflare lvl 4(can rift slip this if you want) -> limit break -> stagger the enemy -> diamond dust -> gigaflare -> rift slip -> judgment bolt -> zantetsuken lvl 5 -> dancing steel -> rift slip -> autoattacks to finish filling the bar -> zantetsuken lvl 5
Probably could've popped the limit break a bit later to further optimize the uptime but I'm not gonna retest.

Using diamond dust instead of lightning rod was definitely a good decision and easy dps boost. I went from 170k to 200k during staggers.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Should I open with it, or use it after expending all my other skills? I'd normally think the latter, but my other skills are often enough to get close to full exhausting the enemy's stagger meter (which wouldn't leave me with enough time/opportunities to reasonably charge up the Megaflare).

Ideally you whittle the enemy down to near stagger, build it up and unleash it, then stagger them.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Begemot posted:

In the latter parts of the game, one of my biggest frustrations is fights with lots of weak enemies. One big enemy with a stagger bar? No problem, I can annhilate them efficiently. But I always just end up doing the regular combo on weak enemies, and even with finishers it feels like it takes forever. I know I should use more eikonic powers, but I got in the bad habit of saving them for enemies with stagger bars, and it's hard to break that.

The Bahamut O move is perfect for fights like that! You can start it up and get up to level 4 in no time if there are a bunch of enemies grouped together. Just a few dodges and you're done, and raining fire down upon them, it's great.

Flames of Rebirth and Earthen Fury are pretty great against crowds, and they bias towards damage instead of stagger. Once you get enough SP to have 4+ ults, you can save things like (5th Eikon) Diamond Dust and Aerial Blast for stagger power.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Good call. You were right.

So doing some testing at the training ground against a coeurl, rift slip is a pretty big dps gain if you can get a 2nd zantetsuken out of it. Getting in a 2nd zantetsuken gives me another 50k damage(200k vs 250k) when rift slip replaces windup.
The timing is extremely tight, at least it was for me, as a maxed out dancing steel and the 25% gain accessory still wasn't quite enough to fill up the bar to level five. I heard that it should fill up the bar completely with the 25% accessory, but I guess I was mistaken. This should be way easier on ng+ once you get the 50% variant, but there's basically nothing left at that point. But then you can drop rift slip for windup and you have a ridiculous amount of burst available during stagger.

My combo during stagger was megaflare lvl 4(can rift slip this if you want) -> limit break -> stagger the enemy -> diamond dust -> gigaflare -> rift slip -> judgment bolt -> zantetsuken lvl 5 -> dancing steel -> rift slip -> autoattacks to finish filling the bar -> zantetsuken lvl 5
Probably could've popped the limit break a bit later to further optimize the uptime but I'm not gonna retest.

Using diamond dust instead of lightning rod was definitely a good decision and easy dps boost. I went from 170k to 200k during staggers.

Would you not get more out of replacing Diamond Dust with Windup?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

i don’t think windup would get you the near-instant 1.5x dmg modifier in stagger, which is why DD should start the stagger phase if you’re looking to optimize dmg in that way

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just got the last Eikon and if groups of light enemies were speed bumps before, the only function they serve now is purely decorative. Instantly dropping a big crowd of mooks with zantetsuken is never going to get old, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Did another chronolith early (and failed) and I can confirm that your regular equipment does carry over. It might be capped at a certain point but if you go in with the earliest equipment you can, the game won't stop you.

Garuda chronolith is way easier than the Phoenix chronolith. But I'll go back to finish them when I have better equipment.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The only ability in this game I just can't imagine people using is Aerial Blast, it makes things so hard to see.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I feel like there’s a lot I don’t understand about the combat system.

How do you ensure a punish/mortal blow on knock down?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

It depends on what you use to knock an enemy down. The easiest way is lunge into magic burst, which opens up most light enemies for the punish, though you’ll need to lunge again to close the gap after blowing them away with the magic burst. This is an extremely safe way to pick off single enemies in between eikonic powers since the magic burst has a big AoE and knocks everything back around the target of your lunge, while lunges themselves are very fast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just do a single button press next to them, if you start mashing it thinks you're trying to do a combo and won't do the downed attack. I often do a lunge to get near them as it always picks a button press up after that as a downed attack.
You also can't chain them if it doesn't finish them off, even if they still look 'downed'.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I usually end up doing a punish when I Phoenix Shift to an enemy after blowing them away. I either get a mortal blow/punish, or I get an aerial shift strike, combo, down thrust, Burning blade, charged magic combo off. That's my preferred method for dealing with chaff enemies, personally.

I'm one of the folks playing this like Nero in DMC with the C layout and always holding down magic to keep a charged spell for combo finishers and the like.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Just do a single button press next to them, if you start mashing it thinks you're trying to do a combo and won't do the downed attack. I often do a lunge to get near them as it always picks a button press up after that as a downed attack.
You also can't chain them if it doesn't finish them off, even if they still look 'downed'.

Yeah, it seems like doing a single attack to a downed enemy always works, unless you do it right after another mortal blow. I'm not sure exactly how the "cooldown" works, though. It seems like I can usually do a second mortal blow (if something even lasts that long) after another full combo.

My preferred way for dealing with flying guys is to just hit them with a charged magic attack to knock them down and then mortal blow them on the ground.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

You can punish, use a charged slash and repeat indefinitely if it's a smaller enemy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Using Shift and then pressing attack will cause him to always do the execute without having to awkwardly wait a second

Noirex
May 30, 2006

This is the only game I had to take a bathroom break in the middle of a boss fight. They were spectacular setpecies but it just went on foreveeeer.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Having a great time, but lol half the cutscene direction is Clive flirting or otherwise having a great time with another large-chested man and Jill is hiding somewhere in the frame looking sad.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure how much of a spoiler this is but I had a question about the skills that Clive can gain. I didn’t want to chance going into the spoiler thread to ask and a simple google isn’t helping, again, without spoiling myself.

Anyone who is far into the game should be answer how many eikons does Clive absorb? Without telling me who/what elements, just the total number. I’m up to 4 now

Also, those that have finished, knowing the above, how much longer do I have in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lmao at (Clive and Jill post-Eikon 5) the beach scene on Ash.

Naked Jill: I can give you what you wa-
Naked Clive: Okay :) *immediately starts sucking an Eikon out of her chest*

What the gently caress Clive, at least give her a second