Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

There's barely been any teasers, leaks, previews, hype-turfing for years this game's been in development. I've never seen such max radio silence from a AAA studio after name dropping an open-world FO/ES successor but IN SPACE. And Mr. Howard acting so detached and vague when approached with specific questions in his recent interviews that it makes me think Bethesda's buyout by Microsoft in 2021 really did a number on their original roadmap, and they've been scrambling ever since to put together something that is remotely worthy of their creative pedigree.

They dropped FO4 close to the ideal way, announcing it mercifully close to release. They've already said and shown way more, way earlier than they needed to.

It's Bethesda Game + NMS in the same way their Fallout games are Bethesda Game + Guns.

It will have a mix of improvements and bizarre steps back. You will find skeletons posed near computers with emails detailing a horrific workplace foreshadowing the disaster you see before you. You will go to special location to get new power. You will talk to NPC and put bucket on head to rob them blind. You will gently caress around in menus combining clutter.

They only make one of these every X years and you know what to expect by now and if you're into hopping in or not.

If ES6 is Todd's last game, they should really never reveal anything even after everyone knows because physical merch is showing up at retailers. Give everyone a heads up after it's released, drop a trailer and all that day of only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Khanstant posted:

You will talk to NPC and put bucket on head to rob them blind.

You better still be able to do this. :colbert:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

There's barely been any teasers, leaks, previews, hype-turfing for years this game's been in development. I've never seen such max radio silence from a AAA studio after name dropping an open-world FO/ES successor but IN SPACE. And Mr. Howard acting so detached and vague when approached with specific questions in his recent interviews that it makes me think Bethesda's buyout by Microsoft in 2021 really did a number on their original roadmap, and they've been scrambling ever since to put together something that is remotely worthy of their creative pedigree.

Actually, the talk is that Microsoft consider Starfield their big Hail Mary for clawing Xbox back into parity with Playstation. The game supposedly could have launched last year, but MS made the call to sit on it and devote as much time to QA and polish as they could.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As a consumer I can live with the way Todd does this just fine, Fallout 4 arriving rather suddenly was actually nice.

But i figure it could be a problem for the devs internally. Didn't the piece on Redfail mention how that was part of the problem at Zenimax/Arkane Austin? Because potential applicants had no idea what the studio was even making due to the "not announcing anything far in advance like other publishers" thing, so people assumed it would be more Dishonored/Prey style games when it really wasn't that.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

dr_rat posted:

Edit: Although Bethesda the publisher is known for being pretty poo poo about that. Also just marketing in general. Looking at you doom 2016.

Man the marketing for Doom '16 was such a wild ride. Several really slow and awkward gameplay videos played on controller by a person off their tits on Nyquil, looking really slow and lumbering and not looking super exciting.

Then nVIdia does this little tech demo, showing off their high refresh stuff, using Doom as it's a new game capable of big framerates, and for the first time we saw a PC player playing with a mouse just fuckin ZOOMING around a combat arena, and the internet goes nuts. The entire outlook of the game saved by accident.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

:krust:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't recall knowing anything about Skyrim other than the one trailer with the Dragon and some screen shots; ditto on Fallout4. It's Boston, we're a pre-war person, we have a voice. That was it!

Without going too grognardy into the entire Elder Scrolls and Fallout universes, they've had over two decades of massaging their lore, and since Oblivion/FO3 had already established a working framework for an open-world FPS, nobody really came into FO4/Skyrim expecting anything more than a new piece of map to explore with better graphics. We barely know anything about Starfield except for the pensive sweeping vista shots of some long gone alpha build.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

orcane posted:

But i figure it could be a problem for the devs internally. Didn't the piece on Redfail mention how that was part of the problem at Zenimax/Arkane Austin? Because potential applicants had no idea what the studio was even making due to the "not announcing anything far in advance like other publishers" thing, so people assumed it would be more Dishonored/Prey style games when it really wasn't that.
I'm sure internally the comms are fine. And also other than the setting this seems a very Bethesda type game. Scales a bit larger and what not, but at heart it seems very Bethesda'ish. If some one applied to work at Bethesda as they like their style of games, and were put on this project, I doubt they'd be confused on what type of game their making.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They just did a 45 minute presentation on most of the major gameplay systems. Most of the other stuff at the same event were TONE trailers.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

orcane posted:

As a consumer I can live with the way Todd does this just fine, Fallout 4 arriving rather suddenly was actually nice.

Yeah, that rocked. Announcement to release in what? A month? I would have preferred that as the standard, but unfortunately...

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there are too many games coming out these days, you have to call dibs on your release window years in advance now

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Will I be able to kiss my spaceship?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Dorkopotamis posted:

Yeah, that rocked. Announcement to release in what? A month? I would have preferred that as the standard, but unfortunately...

Five months. Announced at E3 2015, launch in November

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Guys, I feel for the pre-order. I wanted those five extra days of gameplay. They got me with that specific perk.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dobbs_Head posted:

Guys, I feel for the pre-order. I wanted those five extra days of gameplay. They got me with that specific perk.

I'm getting it for free on gamepass so I can figure out if it's any good first.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

8one6 posted:

Option four: As you approach the Earth your character changes their mind and turns around.

On second thought, let's not go to earth. Tis a silly place.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if i pre-order starfield during the steam sale, will they give me a boatload of worthless trading cards? and what happens to my precious cards if i cancel the pre-order later?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

evilmiera posted:

You don't get the five day head start unless you pay for the deluxe DLC, as far as I understand it. Plain Gamepass will get the game at the later release date.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Oh, actual cards.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My recollection is that they only announced/hinted at Starfield so early in it's dev process because F:76 was an absolute bomb. If we had all been happily playing that for years I'd bet they would have announced Starfield sometime this year.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

evilmiera posted:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

evilmiera posted:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

evilmiera posted:

It absolutely boggles my mind releasing a new IP straight to DVD, but I think I'm due for another $1 Gamepass so I won't complain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't mod Gamepass games so they'll be able to get you for a Gamepass sub and then a normal purchase.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't mod Gamepass games so they'll be able to get you for a Gamepass sub and then a normal purchase.

I've modded many a gamepass game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah they can be modded.

I just want to know what all the skills do. The more I know about the skills and/or perks before the game comes out, the more fun I have imagining what I'll play. I probably spent more time and had more fun coming up with ideas for characters and builds to play in Outer Worlds than I got out of actually playing the game (because let's face it, it's Outer Worlds).

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 3, 2023

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Did anyone complain when Skyrim and fallout four got rid of the maintenance mechanic? I wasn’t a fan of it, but maybe other people were?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

item durability is not really a fun mechanic ever

some games use it as a tax to suck money out of the economy, some use it to force you to go back to town from time to time

a single player rpg doesn't really need to worry about a balanced economy and there are better ways to encourage players to hit up the hubs if it's necessary, so i don't t think there's any reason to miss repairing unless it's just part of your role play fantasy or something?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

there's still ship durability, but that's probably like 2% of the entire game

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I think I enjoyed it in F3 when I combined a Jury Rigging mod that let you use specific junk for repairs along with a loot scarcity mod. So you had to comb over everything to find interesting stuff to make repairs and not just carry spare guns or repair hammers. But that's the nature of modding, if someone is into it, they get to choose if they want their balls stepped on.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Azhais posted:

I've modded many a gamepass game

I know some games are moddable, I’ve definitely played modded Stardew Valley on GamePass, but when I went to check something about it the other day I couldn’t see any of the options. Felt like they’d removed it, or at least changed the process quite a bit?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Big if true

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

It was true. Like 4 years ago. There’s been the option for games to be installed in a moddable folder for years now. I think it’s something that is enabled on a per game basis though, it’s not true for all games.

Fallout 4 on Game Pass is able to be modded, there is no reason to assume that Starfield won’t be.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

The Lone Badger posted:

They fixed that and made it so you can mod them. The Microsoft games app used to install to some protected directory that prevented you from installing mods.

https://support.xbox.com/en-us/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/enable-pc-game-mods

Apparently not every game is compatible.

MechWarrior 5 wasn't when it first came to game pass. But it definitely is now.

Lobus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 3, 2023

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
it's not so much a question if you'll be able to add mods, it's a fairly simple process to change the file structure and I think they started back when state of decay 2 was released. third party launchers required to boot from a script extender though?

gamepass crew gonna be hosed when we get to that point in mod development.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

boo boo bear posted:

it's not so much a question if you'll be able to add mods, it's a fairly simple process to change the file structure and I think they started back when state of decay 2 was released. third party launchers required to boot from a script extender though?

gamepass crew gonna be hosed when we get to that point in mod development.

It is doable, albeit with a bit more work:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/218185

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Item durability works in games like hardspace shipbreaker and legend of zelda botw/totk. When the implementation enhances the gameplay loop it can be fun. In hardspace the fact that you had to go further into debt to fix tools you are renting was part of the aesthetic but wasn’t particularly tedious.

But “open menu every minute to fix your gun” is pretty dumb.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I wonder how much of this game is going to be space dogfighting because that's just one of those things I'm just not into.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I wonder how much of this game is going to be space dogfighting because that's just one of those things I'm just not into.

I see you and I respect your choices but if this isn't literally Wing Commander: Privateer but with more planets I will be a sad space panda

edit: wait, I forgot it isn't 1997 any more and I have arthritis now, dammit

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
just build a missile boat and fire/forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I see you and I respect your choices but if this isn't literally Wing Commander: Privateer but with more planets I will be a sad space panda

edit: wait, I forgot it isn't 1997 any more and I have arthritis now, dammit

To expand of this, it’s boggles my mind no one has copied Freelancer’s method to tracking trade, piracy, and space exploration. It’s super simple but gives the illusion to the player that the game mechanics are deeper than they actually are and that their actions greatly effects the game as a whole.