Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Endorph posted:

gundam's Death and Violence is drastically overstated. gundam wing kills off about as many characters and is twice as long.

I mean it varies quite a bit. On one end you have stuff like Zeta or Victory (I think IBO isn't as bloody as those but I'm not counting up here), and on the other end you have Witch, WIng, and Turn A.

What's surprising is how relatively clean Suletta's hands are. She only killed that one guy. That's less than Hiroto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

wdarkk posted:

I mean it varies quite a bit. On one end you have stuff like Zeta or Victory (I think IBO isn't as bloody as those but I'm not counting up here), and on the other end you have Witch, WIng, and Turn A.

What's surprising is how relatively clean Suletta's hands are. She only killed that one guy. That's less than Hiroto.

Even her 8 year old sister has a higher bodycount

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The death rates in Gundam are heavily skewed by the first few shows having absurd body counts for named characters and UC in general being an extremely hostile setting to one's extended lifespan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wdarkk posted:

IBO might not have the most deaths but it definitely kills off the most major characters. The only major characters to survive the series are the two love interests and the main antagonist and his subordinates. Everyone else who survives is pretty supporting cast.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I feel it's a reputation that rubbed off from Tomino's general 80-90s output and has desperately needed reevaluation since like half of his work runs counter to that expectation.

IBO did wade into that side of things really well though, and I guess its recency could skew things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dolash posted:

Yeah, I can't see a way to create a direct second season of the show. Spinoff and side content about the secondary characters or outstanding questions about the setting would be neat, but the last few episodes really clarified what the heart of the show was with the main characters and that's resolved. You could totally bring them back for like, a one off-special or some kind of movie thing, but it'd probably just be for fun.

Hey, here's a question: If they did bring everyone back for a move or OVA or something, what Shakespeare play should it be based on?

Benerit Group would have been a perfect backdrop for King Lear

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Dessel posted:

God *damnit* how did I miss this

Congratulations you have one more episode to watch, Witch is not over for you!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

IBO's pretty competitive. Victory managed a little higher a count and percent, but Victory's the gold standard for pointless brutal murder. (I can't find a similar chart for Zeta, but looking at some lists, 24 characters survive to die in future UC works, while 26 die in Zeta proper. Fewer deaths than IBO, but a slightly higher ratio).

What stands out about IBO is the number of lead characters killed. Mostly, Gundam concentrates fire among the named supporting characters, while the most important characters live to see another day. IBO, meanwhile, is brutal to the guys with the most merch, while the b-list supporting pilots had decent odds of living to see the epilogue.

As Arc says, the absolute bloodbath that is the UC gives Gundam a reputation as a slaughterhouse, even as AUs tend to be much kinder to their casts.

Endorph posted:

IBO might not have the most deaths but it definitely kills off the most major characters. The only major characters to survive the series are the two love interests and the main antagonist and his subordinates. Everyone else who survives is pretty supporting cast.

I'd count Eugene, too. He's the second-in-command in season 2, and one of the major members of Tekkaden in season 1, both flying the ship and constantly back-talking Orga.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 3, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Gonna say that I wasn't too happy with the ending, especially how it seemed to go out of it's way to remove anything that possibly would have allowed for future stories (disintegrating all the gundams, throwing Peil in a retirement home, etc). That "There will be no encore" title card outright felt like they were loving with me. It wasn't bad per-se, everyone stayed in character, the themes were all respected, the plot was adequately resolved, and the show was not made retroactively bad or unable to be rewatched or recommended to others, which honestly is objectively a lot better than a lot of shows. I suppose it just all felt way too convenient and not very natural. It felt way too much like someone said "Alright we're out of episodes have everything immediately resolve" and that was that.

On another note all the Peil setup in the first season meant nothing. You could remove everything related to Peil and the story would not be affected. El0n existing, El5N being "Just as wicked as you" or even doing anything (sorry, narratively anyone could have shot the helmet) ? The Pharact? The grannies being up to some weird transhumanist poo poo? All dropped.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Peil decided to let ChatGPT pick their new boss and it turns out that leaving your leadership up to an algorithm puts a nepo baby in charge and he immediately fucks off when he gets bored.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Liked the ending, it did well with what it had, but it did feel a little like empty calories to me. Emotionally all the beats were good, everything else, eh, it was ok.

A few key parts:
El0n getting alway with everything and ending up with space's hottest business partner was the most realistic part ;
lol at the Aerial bits changing color when they go to the Calibarn ;
loving lol at "Eh, just dissolve the Gundams, that'll solve it" ;
Eri in the phone straps was very cute, and so was Petra being alive;
Miorine and Suletta's last talk was good, but they needeed way more than that. Where the gently caress is my wedding Sunrise

This was the first Gundam I watched live, after giving up at the start of IBO, and I really liked the experience, so I'll always remember it for that, even if it could've been done better.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eri nagging Mio to 'listen to her step-sister sister-in-law more' beats the gently caress out of any wedding scene you can't change my mind.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Eh outside of IBO most non UC shows end on fairly upbeat and hopeful notes so it's not like this unexpected for the franchise . And even UC shows will have hopefully endings too

As others have said I want Wing to be in the SRW as Heero and Suletta would really bounce of each other. But also I think Ryoma and the other Super Robot pilots would get along good with the cast too

One of the things about the UC is that because Turn A and Victory exists, anything that happens before those breakpoints is a fleeting victory at best. There's no 'ever after' in a UC ending because even if they seem to resolve everything, if it's pre-Victory it has to break down before the next entry in the franchise and not actually save the Federation from its slow decay. If it is pre-Turn A, then the setting still has to eventually get bad enough for the Moonlight Butterfly to be used.

Of course, people forget that generations can exist between these events in relative peace, and even have a good time of it, but I think it ends up poisoning the well on UC optimism. It certainly does for me, and I'm the one posting about how it's not true!

edit: dumb and tired posting

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 3, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

On another note all the Peil setup in the first season meant nothing. You could remove everything related to Peil and the story would not be affected. El0n existing, El5N being "Just as wicked as you" or even doing anything (sorry, narratively anyone could have shot the helmet) ? The Pharact? The grannies being up to some weird transhumanist poo poo? All dropped.

el4n was pretty important to suletta's s1 development.

el5n got powerful, emotional scenes so you could cut him in the sense that you can cut stuff that's "good" and "enjoyable to watch" in favor of giving some other stuff a nicer bow on it at the end, i guess? that would've improved the show?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Warmachine posted:

Eri nagging Mio to 'listen to her step-sister more' beats the gently caress out of any wedding scene you can't change my mind.

While it likely wouldn't change any minds, consider: the bouquet lands on top of Eri by sheer coincidence, who loudly complains about it, that she doesn't even have arms how did she of all people end up catching it, what even is she gonna do with this

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Warmachine posted:

Eri nagging Mio to 'listen to her step-sister more' beats the gently caress out of any wedding scene you can't change my mind.
sister-in-law, that's a very different connotation lol

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd rather be left wanting more than wishing it had quit while it was ahead, tbh.

I think this is ultimately where I stand. I keep hearing that SEED and IBO kind of dipped in quality in its second 25 episodes? But yeah, better to want more than to have it spinning its wheels for too long

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I did a rewatch of the scene where Suletta tells Prospera she won't plug Eri back into Quiet Zero and I'm trying to figure the moment where Prospera gave up on revenge. It feels less like she willingly gave up and more that Suletta refusing to give her Ericht took Prospera's means to enact the world for Eri and her revenge away from her. Because as much as Suletta says she moved beyond revenge for Eri's sake, revenge was still there. It's been there since Cradle Planet and Eri knows that Prospera wants to hurt people on her path to getting back to Eri. Suletta and Eri taking that choice away from her is what got her to stop and realize she was going about it the wrong way.

It seems that the world that Prospera wanted for Eri was the one we glimpse when Suletta pushes past Permet 8, where the memories of people within the datastorm can "live" again, even as the physical world breaks apart at the particle level. In Quiet Zero this would essentially be an Instrumentality event where everyone is forcibly deconstructed into particles and their biometric code uploaded into the datastorm. It would destroy Prospera's ailing body and give her the chance to be with Eri again.

Prospera saying "only suletta can raise Eri's permet score, that must be it" is kind of odd considering that Suletta's entire existence was to unlock Permet 8 so Eri wouldn't need a pilot. Did Prospera just not think that Suletta could push it further than that working alongside Eri? She was concerned in this episode Suletta couldn't handle the load because she was piloting Calibarn, but in Aerial who knows?

Just some thoughts.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 3, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ninjewtsu posted:

el4n was pretty important to suletta's s1 development.

el5n got powerful, emotional scenes so you could cut him in the sense that you can cut stuff that's "good" and "enjoyable to watch" in favor of giving some other stuff a nicer bow on it at the end, i guess? that would've improved the show?

His scenes existed in a vacuum neatly sectioned off from the narrative. The closest he came to narrative relevance was Norea, who would have gone crazy and died in the exact same way whether or not he'd existed. That would have been fine in a show that had more room to breathe but as it is he's taking up valuable time to flesh out characters who actually were involved in things. In short, bring back the 52 episode mecha show Sunrise.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

how do you think their last names work now post marriage? are they both mercury? samaya? mercury-rembran? samaya-rembran-mercury???

this is what I'm thinking about (high)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Miorine takes Mercury as her surname because it's Suletta's name rather than Samaya and nobody wants to be a Rembran when he's a douchebag who got two speaking scenes all season.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/egakuning/status/1675617882460282881

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

also wrt the romance i can barely think of any kisses in gundam in general. heero and relena never even have onscreen confirmation of their romance, i dont think kira ever kisses lacus, etc. theres a few exceptions but it doesnt feel like miorine and suletta specifically didnt get a kiss because they're gay or anything.

Cagalli kisses Athrun, IIRC(which is funny given the outcome of that), Shinn kisses Luna, and IBO has the famous "let's gently caress in the Barbatos" bit, but yeah Gundam tends to be pretty sterile/shy about public displays of affection.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Dessel posted:

I still have no idea why all the Peil grannies have purple lips.

They're old, clearly retirement home old judging by the epilogue. Possibly cyanosis?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
who the hell set up the corporate governance laws of the Benerit Group such that the president can just say "gently caress ya'll im sellin the whole thing" and it actually goes into effect, immediately?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

who the hell set up the corporate governance laws of the Benerit Group such that the president can just say "gently caress ya'll im sellin the whole thing" and it actually goes into effect, immediately?

Delling, probably.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The Peil grannies just like wearing purple lipstick.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Every good business needs a self destruct button

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thats not flirting they are ahving sex, op

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That ending was not great but I've seen worse shows with worse endings so whatever.

I do like how they seemed to try and do as much as possible to make a sequel impossible to happen, though. And I dislike how few characters had new designs for a 3 year time skip.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If they'd gotten rid of Chuchu's hair poms I definitely would have broken something expensive.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
How much you enjoyed G-Witch probably depends a lot on how much you care if a show sticks the landing. I'd give it an 8 or an 8.5/10, an alternate universe version that was 26 episodes to give the finale more time to breathe would probably be a 10/10. Or maybe those two extra episodes would be dogshit. Who knows.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ammat The Ankh posted:

How much you enjoyed G-Witch probably depends a lot on how much you care if a show sticks the landing.

It stuck the landing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It stuck the landing.

oh god there's three of you now.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Naw there's more of us.

Also I enjoyed reading this thread about disability theming in G Witch.

https://twitter.com/nillaney/status/1675647502660382721?s=46&t=TelyWtcdN8Z1Zhqi0Mh1Lg

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I rather liked the ending a lot.

Gave me Turn A vibes tbh

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think the comment is more about the Bocchi avatars than the actual comment

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think the comment is more about the Bocchi avatars than the actual comment

Yes.

The 'Suletta and Miorine in a field' scene is probably the one part of the ending I liked the most, yeah.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I feel bad that Suletta is permanently disabled from all that

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Her little scars are cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

I feel bad that Suletta is permanently disabled from all that

Yeah, I'm surprised it happened that quickly. We knew piloting gundams was dangerous but not that dangerous.