Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Oysters Autobio posted:

I think one thing is that it's almost like a 1:1 copy of the first. Same mechanics, same map type, same game flow. It didn't really introduce enough new things to do that I found was enough to keep me grinding to build up my base.

Yah I bounced off it too even though I was pretty hyped. Going in from the trailers I was expecting it to be a lot more refined with significantly different game loop and instead, at least at first blush, it really felt the same with many of the same issues. The combat in particular I expected to be much improved but it felt the same and that was one of the things that most needed improvement from the first. Also good as the first one was it was only on my third playthrough that I finally finished the game and came to the realization that unfortunately the entire base building portion of the game was nothing more than a distraction, vibes that I kind of picked up playing the second for a few hours.

I'm sure I'll try it again but at this point I don't think it'll be anytime soon. I don't regret buying it but I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeah SOTF is an odd one. I had been waiting on it for years, and then once it came out I really only played it a few hours.

Absolutely love all the build mechanics and immersive systems (definitely sets the standard) but for some reason the game didn't hook me.

I think one thing is that it's almost like a 1:1 copy of the first. Same mechanics, same map type, same game flow. It didn't really introduce enough new things to do that I found was enough to keep me grinding to build up my base.

Gonna need to wait for a big update, tho I don't really know what is on its roadmap and if it's any good.

It just feels so incomplete. Me and a friend finished the story incredibly fast since all the storyline POI's were specially marked. It was clearly lacking any kind of meat around its bones.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I tried out Urge but had to bounce off it because I *really hated the fonts* and font sizes and didn't see a way to fix that. But I approve of the "surreal horror" vibe everything had. That was eerier than I expected. Maybe theyll fix that in the future?

Also tried out Forever Skies. Now that I got right into, it's gorgeous and I love that the earth is so covered in poo poo all I have to do is shoot asteroids of metal and plastic flying around to get more stuff, or drop an automated fishing line into a moth cloud to grab moths to eat because there are a petabyte of moths now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I started playing Survival: Fountain of Youth, I'm digging it. Anyone else played it? So far I'm in the very early stages.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Qubee posted:

I started playing Survival: Fountain of Youth, I'm digging it. Anyone else played it? So far I'm in the very early stages.

I liked the demo a lot and bought it, but performance was pretty bad for me on the full version. I've been meaning to try it now that it has a few patches released.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I loved the demo so bought it when it released into EA. First island is excellent, but in some ways it feels like they went backwards with the way they've implemented some things.

As with many survival games, building an actual house is not the best idea.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Speedball posted:

So I tried out Urge but had to bounce off it because I *really hated the fonts*

I get it but also lol

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Qubee posted:

I had fun with it, but it does get grindy and the progression is kinda weird in that you might need something super advanced to upgrade a crafting station (that's really more of a sidegrade). Exploration is good though, and the different biomes change it up enough to keep it interesting.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

beats for junkies posted:

ArmA 3 has a go-kart DLC after an April 1st fakepost got a response of "okay, but when is this actually coming out?"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/288520/Arma_3_Karts/

lol, I just noticed that it's under the Racing Games category.

I urge everyone to watch the trailer for this xtremely srs bsns milsim game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAJdRpqltM

But these are the people who decided to do a first contact DLC late in the game's lifecycle that is actually… good? It's great, even. Completely wild.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Yesterday my 25hr hardcore run of Subnautica ended when I somehow died to a gasopod. Taking a breather from that by getting gang raped by wolves in The Long Dark on Stalker mode. I’m a total noob to survival games but loving these two classics so far

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

SubponticatePoster posted:

… very helpful 7dtd guide …

Late, but thank you for this, incredibly helpful!!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tildes posted:

Late, but thank you for this, incredibly helpful!!
:tipshat: There's a 7DTD thread and since A21 just released there are goons playing on the goon server if you would like to join us.

e: Some of the info in that guide is no longer applicable, like Sexy T-Rex has been removed - now when you spec into a weapon you get reduced stamina usage for that weapon (sledges, clubs, etc). Stamina is still an issue at lower levels but you can buff with food.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SubponticatePoster posted:

:tipshat: There's a 7DTD thread and since A21 just released there are goons playing on the goon server if you would like to join us.

e: Some of the info in that guide is no longer applicable, like Sexy T-Rex has been removed - now when you spec into a weapon you get reduced stamina usage for that weapon (sledges, clubs, etc). Stamina is still an issue at lower levels but you can buff with food.
The removal of Sexual Tyrannosaurus, a skill that literally every playstyle needs, is one of the biggest and best changes, IMO.
I still have a ton of issues with the way skill points are used in this game, though. I'm playing a game with a friend where we sorta split the four main (non-Intellect) skill trees between us, two to an attribute. I got Perception and Fortitude, he got Agility and Strength. It really emphasizes how uneven the attributes are, how useless some skills turn out to be compared to others. His trees have both of the armor perks in them, so I travel slower and lose stamina more even in light armor. He's got Miner 69er, so I break things slowly. He's got chef, so he does most of the food crafting. The bright side I guess is that I can do farming? I get better animal harvests but that's one resource I never, ever felt you needed higher yields on, since you very quickly wind up with more bones, meat, fat, etc. than you will ever need even at base levels.
It's also weird how your stats only affect, like, headshot damage and dismemberment chance? Strength doesn't increase base melee damage or carrying capacity, Fortitude doesn't bolster your max HP, Agility doesn't make you faster or more agile.

I almost feel like the best option would be to make skills completely stat-agnostic, since it would allow much more diverse and interesting characters builds than we get now, at least until you get to the point you're so overflowing with skill points you just buy every perk you want.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I get it but also lol

Look, I can't help it if I found the actual interface more disgusting than the premise!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why are spears bad in 7DTD? I'm a spear character and I don't have problems? Level 5 iron spear with maxed out perception + spear skills, I typically don't have any issues.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Spears aren't bad any more, they took away the very unhelpful throwing mechanic (okay on day 1, past that it was always super impractical) and instead gave it a power attack and buffed them in one or two other ways besides.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Qubee posted:

Why are spears bad in 7DTD? I'm a spear character and I don't have problems? Level 5 iron spear with maxed out perception + spear skills, I typically don't have any issues.

Spears used to not have a power attack, right click would throw them. That is no longer the case and spears are, to some people, the best melee weapon now. They are also very good for poking through damaged doors.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

There’s a Spear Hunter book that makes power attacks deal 50% more to downed enemies now and lemme tell ya, it’s real good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there's also the Penetrator perk that lets them bypass armor iirc

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've been enjoying the latest updates to The Long Dark's dlc. The new cooking recipes are mostly pretty great aside from the utter silliness of "peach pies give you a headache" and how quickly some of the new food goes bad: literally overnight in the case of a stew i made. Haven't gotten the last ptarmigan kill i need to try out the improvised bedroll (adds warmth by adding the feathers inside).

And turns out there's a bit of a modding scene, too! Faster searching is great because if the container's empty, it's an instant search by default. Better Bases has just recently finally updated, so you can tidy up your bases more before you customize them with the DIY mod.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started a second Card Survival run, decided to go for the raft ending, think I mucked it up though. About 30% of the way through the trip and I just lost pretty much everything that wasn't in my two supply chests to a couple of big waves in the storm, so that's all my water containers, my fire pit, and a good chunk of my food gone. I'll keep at it to see how far I can go but I doubt this trip is reaching its end.

Haven't found either ending to be particularly satisfying, really. Home ending is fairly trivial (it's pretty easy to cheese comfort with jasmine candles) and while the raft ending is a fun endgame quest (what with all the lead up you have to do to unlock it, plus all the work you have to put in to build it) the trip back to civilization is completely unlike anything previous and seems to be mostly up to RNG.

Still a fun game, will probably take a break for a bit and then try again, maybe with a different character this time because Hunter starts are getting fairly trivial, might be time to move on to something more challenging.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

taiyoko posted:

I've been enjoying the latest updates to The Long Dark's dlc. The new cooking recipes are mostly pretty great aside from the utter silliness of "peach pies give you a headache" and how quickly some of the new food goes bad: literally overnight in the case of a stew i made.
That's understandable, food spoils very quickly in hot climates.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

That's understandable, food spoils very quickly in hot climates.

I can't tell if you're making a joke, but The Long Dark is the opposite of a hot climate.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Survivalist: Invisible Strain
Drivable Vehicles :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz1UmtJ8f-M

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I want to play the Long Dark (again, technically.) I played it once, liked it sorta, but it was very early on in the game and I definitely got the vibe that it would turn me off a little with its style - I like setting up a 'home,' and even if I venture far from it for days, I like the idea of being at least mostly sustainable (fully, really.) I don't mind if that's hard to do.

Is this possible with mods or difficulty settings? More specifically, can anyone suggest the settings I should use to get a good challenge while still being able to sustain 'for a long time' if I'm smart? I'd like to try and tune it in before I give it a go because I think I may bounce off the game entirely again if I just start with easy settings and then try to figure out how to tweak it.

Also very interested in the few mods I've heard mentioned, like cleaning up (and customizing?) shelters? That would go a HUGE way toward me enjoying the game again.

Also, should I buy Tales from the Far Territory now that its on sale?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if you're good at the game you will be able to sustain yourself for a lot longer than it takes to get bored

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

if you're good at the game you will be able to sustain yourself for a lot longer than it takes to get bored

I guess my post comes from scavenging a bit and then getting set up in a house and having some memory of some kind of cabin fever mechanic pushing me to immediately leave when I felt like I should have spent a day kind of recouping. It was weird and forced and I hated it. It might have just been newbie fuckups but it really soured me on “oh, guess I can never have a home in this game and need to constantly balance heat/food/whatever gauges on the run.”

Again, might be totally not correct but I just got the sense there was a lot more push to be on the move and doing stuff than ever taking a moment to relax at a safe spot.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
did you get cabin fever or did you get "warning, youll get cabin fever eventually"

i genuinely dont think i've ever gotten cabin fever even on interloper. the smart play is actually to NOT be inside

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

did you get cabin fever or did you get "warning, youll get cabin fever eventually"

i genuinely dont think i've ever gotten cabin fever even on interloper. the smart play is actually to NOT be inside

To be fair I don’t recall, so maybe I was just reading tea leaves poorly. I guess my takeaway is that I just aught to jump in again without too much worry.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah, probably! i think the only way to get a challenge in that game is to play on interloper fwiw

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Anything below interloper is honestly a joke once your brain clicks with surviving on that difficulty. Temperatures never get particularly low, and loot is at best abundant and at worst a constant deluge.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I bounced off of TLD a few times until I watched an Interloper LP. You do get way, way too much loot on the lower settings and it just feels like a looting simulator until you crank the difficulty up.

Arven fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 7, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also, if it cramps your playstyle, I'm pretty sure you can turn off cabin fever entirely in the custom game options.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I general play on custom with Interloper base settings, but with guns available and wolf spawn distance set to far and fear set to high.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

i hate open ended (no win condition) games, so the free play Long Dark never really appealed.

the challenges are fun though. GHOST BEAR

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is Stranded Alien Dawn more of a Survival or Management game? I think i have a good handle on it, but i can't keep enough cooked meals on hand, and my settlers keep freaking out and punching the walls.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The problem with Interloper is how annoying and tedious the wildlife is and how it becomes a game of memorising spawn locations for important items.

I've played it with mostly interloper settings, except with all items available and wolves set to only come out at night (the setting with the least wolf spawns still spawns way too many.

You can get sustainable especially post-DLC because beachcombing provides a lot. It's just also tedious.

I dearly wish the developers would take some clues from Subnautica on how to provide a definite end point and goal to work towards in a game. A lot of regions are mostly irrelevant outside of looking for unique items.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I will give The Long Dark for making a game where cabin fever is something that can happen to the *player*.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How well does The Forest run on older systems? Say a Radeon HD 6900 and i5-3570k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

twistedmentat posted:

Is Stranded Alien Dawn more of a Survival or Management game? I think i have a good handle on it, but i can't keep enough cooked meals on hand, and my settlers keep freaking out and punching the walls.

It's a little bit of both I'd say, but if I had to throw it into any singular genre I'd say "colony sim" fits it best. Rimworlds et al of the world