Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Young Freud posted:

Looks like another social media staple is about to disappear: presorted GIF reactions

You'll have to upload your own GIFs, like a pleb.

I like how the claim is that VC money has dried up, when nearly every VC firm - large and small, new and old - is claiming that they have a ton of dry powder. It's not that the money is drying up, it's that more firms are demanding a return to semi-normal fundamentals of profitability, rather than throwing money down an endless hole in the hopes of a big IPO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Really feels like we're at the start of another .com crash.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Life is a series of stock market bubbles.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It's like a poem: it rhymes

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
Web 1.0 is long dead (and in our case, gay), Web 2.0 is cratering after being buoyed aloft by cheap money and irrational tech optimism for years longer than it had any right to last, and Web 3.0 was a grift. What's next?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Retro is the future, so back to Web 1.0, but as interpreted by techbros, so somehow worse.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mr. Mercury posted:

It's like a poem: it rhymes

Unlike "chowder" and "louder".

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Hasturtium posted:

Web 1.0 is long dead (and in our case, gay), Web 2.0 is cratering after being buoyed aloft by cheap money and irrational tech optimism for years longer than it had any right to last, and Web 3.0 was a grift. What's next?

Web 1.1.0

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Web 1.0 HD Remaster

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Retro is the future, so back to Web 1.0, but as interpreted by techbros, so somehow worse.

One of the most amazing quotes I heard recently was from Dan Olson ("Line Goes Up" guy):

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah SV never did get the chance to ruin forums

Unless we are counting something like Reddit but I would say no

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah SV never did get the chance to ruin forums

Unless we are counting something like Reddit but I would say no

Until Reddit there were just too many forums, too many of them specialized for VC to care. Plus most of them never had anything beyond the most basic plans to cover costs, which were usually "Banner ads, sponsored content/subforums, paid memberships?"

Not enough 0's in the equation for VC to care.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bring back Geocities pages and web rings

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Hell maybe we can at least get people to link longform content to their offsite now rather than having to use an app to view tweet threads that was probably broken by the earlier API change.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

whydirt posted:

It's kind of what Neocities is trying to do, I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the summary of neoliberal UK Labour; the fundamental basis of their plan is 'Make it 1997 again by science or magic'.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angepain posted:

You'd have to destroy the unicode consortium, maybe tell Elon theres a trans flag emoji but not one for dogecoin so he'll get mad and buy them up too
I can't be the only person who's ever thought "regular emojis just aren't strong enough, we need the SA smilies to work beyond the forums". :fuckoff:

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
emoji is fine except for the crying laughing emoji

Payndz posted:

I can't be the only person who's ever thought "regular emojis just aren't strong enough, we need the SA smilies to work beyond the forums". :fuckoff:

:stare: seems like a such a fundamental expression i can't believe it isn't an emoji itself

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 3, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the summary of neoliberal UK Labour; the fundamental basis of their plan is 'Make it 1997 again by science or magic'.

This sounds like the plot of a Laundry Files novel, not that any of those are kind to the UK political system. Maybe moreso to mister Lovecraft's weird tales, though.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PhazonLink posted:

kill emoji next please.

💀

that will be $44 billion dollars

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rappaport posted:

This sounds like the plot of a Laundry Files novel, not that any of those are kind to the UK political system. Maybe moreso to mister Lovecraft's weird tales, though.

Keir Starmer would absolutely be a Laundry character. Probably a semi-sapient flesh-golem 'minister' for the Mandate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hell maybe we can at least get people to link longform content to their offsite now rather than having to use an app to view tweet threads that was probably broken by the earlier API change.

whydirt posted:

I'm hoping the former leads to the latter and some kind of resurgence to more unique person sites and communities again. I hope in my life time more people realize that you can socialize with just about anyone online whenever you want in a bunch of different ways that don't involve just obeying and reacting to whatever three big websites tell you you are interested in at a given time.

Payndz posted:

You're not, I use a bunch of them for my Discord server/etc. lol

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember when Apple made a big deal about how they were bringing emojis to the iPhone. IIRC nobody outside of Japan used or even heard of emojis, but selling a phone in Japan without emojis was a non-starter so they had to implement it if they wanted Japanese people to buy iPhones.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Isn't "the federated web," just a remarketed and fancier version of the old web ring?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Bad King posted:

Isn't "the federated web," just a remarketed and fancier version of the old web ring?

Not really, since it automates the whole process for following content streams across platforms and lets the user define which creators to follow rather than just the web-ring manager deciding who's in and who's not.

A closer analogy is an email newsletter that anyone can subscribe to.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's like RSS but more complicated.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember when Apple made a big deal about how they were bringing emojis to the iPhone. IIRC nobody outside of Japan used or even heard of emojis, but selling a phone in Japan without emojis was a non-starter so they had to implement it if they wanted Japanese people to buy iPhones.

We might not have used the term emoji, but smiley graphics were a thing in the English speaking online world long before iPhones.

:regd04:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

whydirt posted:

We might not have used the term emoji, but smiley graphics were a thing in the English speaking online world long before iPhones.

:regd04:

That’s different. We used to send text messages with emoticons like :) (the awful app keeps converting this into a smiley but it’s suppose to be just text) and 8==D but after emojis came it’s all 🙂 and 🍆.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, emoticons were graphics made out of characters like ;-), turning them into actual pictures came later

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah, emoticons were graphics made out of characters like ;-), turning them into actual pictures came later

have we forgotten ASCII art? Am I that :corsair: ?

quote:

|\---/|
| ,_, |
\_`_/-..----.
___/ ` ' ,""+ \
(__...' __\ |`.___.';
(_,...'(_,.`__)/'.....+

Also the greatest emoticon is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and it will never work in emoji form.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Also the greatest emoticon is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and it will never work in emoji form.

🤷‍♂️

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
emoji form is too small, and looks kinda tooo busy.

also the ascii one's sheer width is an asset.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nuclear Spoon posted:

emoji is fine except for the crying laughing emoji

:stare: seems like a such a fundamental expression i can't believe it isn't an emoji itself

Personally I constantly wish that :jerkbag: and :colbert: were standard emojis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:v: was on facebook for a while, then it disappeared for a couple years, now it seems to be back again

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You're not incorrect, but that joke originated from 30 Rock as the main goal of NBCUniversal television division.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

Playing ADOM, someone walking by and looking at me like I'm operating the Matrix or some poo poo. Hell yeah!

Then I die to a dumb trap, but that's roguelikes for you

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shrecknet posted:

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) I like milkshake!
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・◎・) slrrrp
  ( ゙ノ ヾ
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) Hmm, tastes like prion disease...
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・)
  ( つ O. __
  と_)_) (__()、;.o:。
          ゚・:.。
      _ _  ξ
    (´   `ヽ、     __
  ⊂,_と(    )⊃  (__()、;.o:。
      V V           ゚・:.。

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

haveblue posted:

I remember when I first tried QuantumLink's chat module and I had to ask the room what :) and :D meant. :corsair:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

Personally I constantly wish that :jerkbag: and :colbert: were standard emojis.

🙄✊↔️ Just doesn't get the point across as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kith posted:

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) I like milkshake!
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・◎・) slrrrp
  ( ゙ノ ヾ
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・) Hmm, tastes like prion disease...
  ( つ旦O
  と_)_)

∧,,,∧
  ( ・ω・)
  ( つ O. __
  と_)_) (__()、;.o:。
          ゚・:.。
      _ _  ξ
    (´   `ヽ、     __
  ⊂,_と(    )⊃  (__()、;.o:。
      V V           ゚・:.。

The ancient ancestor of the grimace shake.