Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are your gaming plans for the summer?
This poll is closed.
Win at video games 37 23.72%
Hone gaming skills 27 17.31%
Unlock hardcore mode achievements 14 8.97%
More grinding 24 15.38%
Post about video games 54 34.62%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I said come in! posted:

FF16 is one of the best games of the year, everyone should play it.

Buy me a PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Buy me a PS5

I wish I could, I would.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

huh apparently there was Wo Long dlc that came out last week that i missed entirely

huh apparently Wo Long is gonna be doing a collab with Lies of P when that comes out

Long P

better than a Bloodborne crossover would be at least

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Waffleman_ posted:

IGN had an opinion piece saying "Well, God of War is more of an RPG than FF16 anyway! It has more numbers!"

Call of Duty is an rpg, the multplayer has levels and perks. /western gamers

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Can't wait for FF16 to come out one day

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I think it's just fine. Not really great, not terrible either. Very high highs and very low lows.

This was my experience with XVI too, it really depends on what kind of game enjoyer you are - are you the kind that can take the average of a game or do very low lows turn you off completely? If it's the latter you are not going to be a fan of XVI. If it's the former it gets a solid OK.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's very funny that before XVI came out, Yoshida talked about how western audiences were sometimes really weird about Japanese games and a lot of people in the press responded with "What, no, never!" and then when the game came out a bunch of people were really weird about it.
If you don't mind my asking... what were people being weird about? I haven't heard a single word about the game that I'd consider weird.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i fell off diablo 4 again and posted in the wrong thread about it but oh well

tomorrow i'm gonna try dave the diver

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

Is the creature catching element of FFX-2 entirely optional?

Yes, it wasnt even in the original game and was added for the 'International' re-release.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LASy0rGRA&hd=1

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I am really bad at ATB (in FFX-2) and get a little overwhelmed when multiple characters get queued up at the same time, especially when you add dressphere switching into the mix. Timing is quite important as I just got my team wiped because I didn’t start the silencing dance fast enough.

You’re not just trying to think of the optimal strategy, you’re doing so under the pressure of time, which makes mistakes that much more likely, which just compounds the difficulty, which leads to moments of deer in the headlights panic.

E:I maybe would’ve color coded the menus for each character or made them otherwise unique, because when everyone can be every class it can get a bit hard to track who you’re controlling in the heat of the moment.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 3, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

IGN stands for Ixtremely Goddam Nwrong

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The N is silent

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX-2 is a pretty easy game, no need to overthink it (especially after you get the Dark Knight dress sphere and can just auto-attack to victory).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

exquisite tea posted:

FFX-2 is a pretty easy game, no need to overthink it (especially after you get the Dark Knight dress sphere and can just auto-attack to victory).

I’m visiting random places out of order, so I might be making things harder for myself. I should probably at least get the white mage sphere first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

July is "clear out the backlog" month to prepare for Baldur's Gate III and the nonstop onslaught of new games following that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

July is spend 150 hours on Trails to Reverie month.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
July is Month of the RPG from Japan VII

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
July is deleting Slay The Spire temporarily from my desktop and Deck so that I can actually play some other games for a change month.

Tried the very beginning of Triangle Strategy last night. Looks very firmly like it's going to be my jam. Loved FFT:WotL on my old PSP and this looks like more of it.

I also had a ultra brief look at Moonbreaker as well yesterday and even with just that, I'm really impressed. Seems like a game that deserves to be so much bigger than it is.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Finally started subnautica this weekend

NO! Not because of the titan implosion but because it was recently featured in a (goon made) book club podcast called watch out for fireballs and I like to play the games they cover before listening to the episodes

It's good, also scary

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Subnautica is one of the best broken games I have ever played

I highly recommend it to everyone, including those with thalassophobia. Face your fear, grapple and drill punch a reaper leviathan to death :black101:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I haven't encountered anything shoddy so far but I did get a laugh out the escape menu having an "unstuck" button

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does Subnautica have an end goal/boss?

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

The ender dagon

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Infinitum posted:

Does Subnautica have an end goal/boss?
yes it has a very definitive ending. Imo the story in the game, aside from it being an indie project so they do basically everything they can to make sure you never encounter another human being outside of audio logs because that would require Budget, the story is very well done for what it is. Definitely a few genuinely shocking moments in it. The whole dystopian Weyland-Utani-with-a-friendly-face megacorp thing is pretty amusing too.

The world of subnautica itself encourages you to explore ever further, and I think aside from some occasionally significant technical issues(popin is INSANE in some places), it's probably my favorite open world game ever. Infinitum, if you've not played it, I highly recommend it. It's got scary points but it's seriously a chill game, I went back in after beating it and just played with building crazy bases all over the place, exploring every inch of the map, etc.

There's some great quality of life mods I can recommend if you'd like, such as the "speedy drill" mod that just reduces the mining timer on large ore deposits from like 50 seconds to 5, or the mod that let's you craft using any materials in storage within a 20m radius, which is ESSENTIAL, it reduces so much back-and-forth.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I haven't encountered anything shoddy so far but I did get a laugh out the escape menu having an "unstuck" button
there is a very good chance you'll be using that more than once. I wish I had that option when I played it, I got shoved through a wall in one of my vehicles by a leviathan and had to do some obtuse bullshit to clip back in bounds so I didn't lose my entire inventory as well as the vehicle. I also, on multiple occasions, would glitch out and not count as being in the water, so I would walk normally on the sea floor. Which is amusing for a bit, but could easily lead to getting softlocked if you fell in a trench or something since you couldn't swim out.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 3, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ymgve posted:

Help me choose: Attorney of the Arcane, or Rain Code?

I haven't finished Rain Code yet but I think I'm actually gonna come away having preferred Attorney of the Arcane. Rain Code is not bad but it has some story elements that are seriously rubbing me the wrong way. The game is probably going somewhere with them but it's taking its sweet time getting there.

Attorney of the Arcane on the other hand, while being a bit janky, having a weak first case, and being very clearly modeled entirely on Ace Attorney, does manage to come together in a cohesive and satisfying whole. It has good mysteries, compelling characters, and a really interesting setting and overarching plot. If you can overlook its flaws that mainly come from being a low budget indie game, it's a great little game.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Captain Invictus posted:

yes it has a very definitive ending. Imo the story in the game, aside from it being an indie project so they do basically everything they can to make sure you never encounter another human being outside of audio logs because that would require Budget, the story is very well done for what it is. Definitely a few genuinely shocking moments in it. The whole dystopian Weyland-Utani-with-a-friendly-face megacorp thing is pretty amusing too.

The world of subnautica itself encourages you to explore ever further, and I think aside from some occasionally significant technical issues(popin is INSANE in some places), it's probably my favorite open world game ever. Infinitum, if you've not played it, I highly recommend it. It's got scary points but it's seriously a chill game, I went back in after beating it and just played with building crazy bases all over the place, exploring every inch of the map, etc.

There's some great quality of life mods I can recommend if you'd like, such as the "speedy drill" mod that just reduces the mining timer on large ore deposits from like 50 seconds to 5, or the mod that let's you craft using any materials in storage within a 20m radius, which is ESSENTIAL, it reduces so much back-and-forth.

there is a very good chance you'll be using that more than once. I wish I had that option when I played it, I got shoved through a wall in one of my vehicles by a leviathan and had to do some obtuse bullshit to clip back in bounds so I didn't lose my entire inventory as well as the vehicle. I also, on multiple occasions, would glitch out and not count as being in the water, so I would walk normally on the sea floor. Which is amusing for a bit, but could easily lead to getting softlocked if you fell in a trench or something since you couldn't swim out.

Some of the highlight bugs I encountered involves a Cyclops loaded with either a seamoth or prawnsuit that on loading a saved game would clip into each other somehow and the smaller vehicle would just explode.

The game is great but there are def some nasty glitches and bugs that can really ruin the experience lol.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s funny that they included a permadeath mode

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DaveKap posted:

If you don't mind my asking... what were people being weird about? I haven't heard a single word about the game that I'd consider weird.

Honestly a lot of it is the old "Kingdom Hearts nonsense" buzzword that doesn't really mean anything except that the game is Japanese

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah the fact that you can hit a button and see a little recap of what characters are on screen was shittalked as "the crazy japanese made a story so stupid and impossible to understand they had to include this feature!" and all that.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah the fact that you can hit a button and see a little recap of what characters are on screen was shittalked as "the crazy japanese made a story so stupid and impossible to understand they had to include this feature!" and all that.

The feature every rpg since Pillars of Eternity uses, I see...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ffxvi’s story is so convoluted that they included the option to turn on subtitles, lmao

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

bone emulator posted:

The feature every rpg since Pillars of Eternity uses, I see...
Earliest I saw it was in a Xenosaga, and it definitely was a crutch for a heap of nonsense names.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They're just jealous cause they could never come up with a name like Active Time Lore

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Ffxvi’s story is so convoluted that they included the option to turn on subtitles, lmao

Subtitles should always be on in games and TV movies etc

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jay Rust posted:

The story makes perfect sense

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wish they'd go back to turn based lore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It can't be Kingdom Hearts nonsense if it's only one game. The only reason Kingdom Hearts nonsense is a thing to people is because there's a lot of games and none of them are spinoffs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you could have Kingdom Hearts nonsense in one game, but it would have to be at least 600 hours long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
FFXIII is better than FFX. I won't respond to comments.